Chapter 5

Taming Miss Eyesmile

When Yuri arrived at the apartment she saw Tiffany curled up on the couch sleeping. She slowly made her way into the couch and observed the sleeping figure.

Tiffany was curled up like a ball trying to fit herself on her side of the couch and avoiding to cross the pink tape. Yuri shook her head at how stubborn her roommate is. Looking at the girl’s sleeping position, she was sure Tiffany would end up with a sore body upon waking. She then bended over Tiffany and held the girl’s legs slowly stretching it across the couch.

Tiffany was woken up when she felt something move. When she opened her eyes she saw Yuri hovering over her while holding her legs.

“Yah! What are you doing?!” Tiffany instinctively jolted her feet sending Yuri on the floor, first. Her eyes almost popping out with the glare she was giving Yuri.

“Aish! Are you really this physically abusive?” Yuri groaned.  “You were curled up like a ball trying to fit within the line. I was just about to stretch your legs over the couch so that you’ll avoid body sore after.” Yuri patted her trying to ease the pain.

Tiffany fell silent and stared at Yuri. She silently watched as Yuri stood up took her backpack and walked inside her bedroom without looking back at her. She suddenly felt guilty for physically abusing her roommate. Not just for today but also back at Yoona’s house. Aish! She shouldn’t be waking me up off guarded. Tiffany groaned. Her stubbornness defending herself for doing such things to Yuri.

***

The dinner was unusually too quiet for Tiffany. Yuri sat on the other end of the table eating ramyum while Tiffany sat on the other end eating her ramyum as well. Usually during meals Yuri would always strike up a conversation no matter how nonsense the girl was talking. And somehow Tiffany has gotten used to that kind of atmosphere. The talkative and kkab Yuri of a roommate. But tonight the girl was really quiet and Tiffany knew why. And she was guilty of it.

Tiffany placed down her chopsticks and heaved a sigh. The guilt and silence of Yuri was eating her up.

“Hey… S---sorry.” Tiffany softly spoke. A part of her was still stubborn enough to not want to apologize yet.

Yuri heard the almost inaudible apology of her roommate. She silently stole a glance at the figure sitting at the other end of the table. The girl had furrowed eyebrows and was pouting while looking at her half empty ramyum. Obviously not 100% apologizing. Yuri stifled an amused smile. Her roommate is really amusing her in ways she couldn’t understand as well.

“Hmmm?” Yuri answered. She wasn’t giving up that easily. Two can play stubborn.

Tiffany restrained herself from snorting. She knew if she did that her apology would sound insincere. She took a deep breath before speaking again.

“I said I’m sorry.” Tiffany mumbled.

“Sorry for?” Yuri answered casually. She isn’t letting it go that easy.

“Well…Uhhh…. For earlier this afternoon...and at Yoong’s house.”

“Hmmm…” Yuri nodded. “Are we friends now?”

“Don’t push it Yuri.” Tiffany’s tone became cold again.

Yuri chuckled with the girl’s answer. She already knew what the answer would be but still asked anyway. She was somehow enjoying teasing Tiffany who has obviously not forgiven her yet for stealing that kiss at the bookstore.

Just then Tiffany’s phone rang and interrupted the two.

“Hello? Bora? Yes I’m at home. Really? Uhhh…” Tiffany looked at her watch and checked the time. It was past 8PM already. “Okay I understand. I’ll come over don’t worry. No no it’s fine really. I understand. See you later then. I’ll just call you when I’m near your house. Bye.” Tiffany ended the call.

Yuri silently listened while Tiffany answered the call. She knew Bora as their class secretary who lived a few blocks from their apartment. She saw Tiffany stood up and placed her bowl on the sink.

“Hey, I’ll just go over Bora’s house to get some papers for the school fair. Her grandmother was admitted to the hospital so she won’t be at school for the next couple of days. Don’t double lock the door.” Tiffany instructed as she drank her water. She was surprised when she saw Yuri stood up as well and gestured for her to wait.

Yuri ran to her room and took her phone and jacket.

“I’m going with you.” Yuri stated when she returned to the kitchen.

“What?!” Tiffany didn’t see that coming and was completely surprised by what her roommate said.

“It’s past 8PM and Bora’s house is still a few blocks from here. Taeyeon warned me already that you’re stubborn and that you often go out alone at night. So I’m going with you.” Yuri casually answered.

“I don’t need a babysitter.”

“I’m not your babysitter.”

“But you’re babysitting me.” Tiffany argued.

“No I’m not. I’m just doing Taeng a favor. To look after you.” Yuri retorted.

Tiffany looked at Yuri for a moment.

“Or you want me to call Taeyeon?” Yuri inquired.

“Taetae is busy. She has a presentation tomorrow.” Tiffany pouted. Taeyeon wasn’t able to meet her earlier that afternoon which lead her to sulk and fall asleep on the couch.

“Ow.” Yuri mumbled and could only look at the pouting Tiffany. You really know her whereabouts huh?

“If you insist. Let’s go then.” Tiffany then walked ahead towards the door. Yuri silently followed behind.

*

The walk to Bora’s house was filled with silence. Tiffany was busy with her phone texting Taeyeon and whining about why she asked Yuri to look after her. Taeyeon on the other hand explained her side of the story and her good intent. It took a couple of minutes of whining a bit more before Tiffany finally gave in. She knew Taeyeon was just looking after her and she understood it. She then told Taeyeon to finish off her report and ended their conversation for her friend to focus on her work.

Yuri silently observed Tiffany who had her brows furrowed while busily texting someone on her phone. She figured it must have been Taeyeon checking on her. Or could be Bora informing her of their whereabouts. They were almost there anyway.

*

After taking the documents needed, Tiffany and Yuri bid their goodbye to Bora. Dark clouds have started to cover the night sky hiding the stars and the moon and the night was becoming chilly.

Yuri noticed Tiffany rubbing her hands on her arms. The girl was only wearing shorts and a shirt. She was obviously feeling cold. Yuri observed her for a while and finally decided to go on with what she thought of doing.

Tiffany was surprised when Yuri took off her jacket and silently handed it to her. She stopped walking and just stared at Yuri and the jacket.

“Here.” Yuri casually said.

“It’s okay. I’m fine. Thanks anyway.” Tiffany was as stubborn as usual.

“I insist.” Yuri extended again the jacket.

“It’s fine really.” Tiffany then walked ahead.

Yuri was left staring at Tiffany who continued on walking. So stubborn. She then ran after her and placed the jacket on Tiffany’s shoulders securely covering the girl. After successfully putting on the jacket, Yuri walked ahead and left without looking back.

Tiffany stood there surprised at what just Yuri did. She stared at Yuri’s retreating figure while she held on the jacket. A rather strange feeling began creeping inside her.

Yuri walked hastily and set a far distance from Tiffany as possible. She wasn’t sure as to why her heart began beating faster than usual.
 

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Tadda! There you go. Your Yulti moment. ^^