Talent Show

The Atypical One

“Yejin, what do I do??” Kayeon whisper-yelled as they walked through the hallways before first period started. It was a typical school day, which meant another boy had confessed their love for Kayeon, one of Yejin’s best friends.

 

 

Yejin rolled her eyes. “Are you kidding me? School started barely two weeks ago and you already have a guy in love with you. Who is it this time?” the girl dramatically asked her friend.

 

 

Kayeon lightly smacked her friend’s arm, and Yejin pretended to be hurt, pouting her lips. “I’m so serious. It’s the Jongshin guy. Remember him? He was in our Science class last year.”

 

 

Yejin made a face, “Ewww. You definitely have to get rid of him fast. I heard he saves all of the pictures that his crushes post. I mean, dat boy needs Jesus.”

 

 

Kayeon briefly laughed at Yejin’s last remark but then turned serious again. “Yeah, I’ve heard. But how do I tell him I’m not interested?” she bit her lips, worried.

 

 

Yejin glanced at her friend and sighed. She sometimes felt bad for Kayeon. That girl was always getting confessions from boys left and right. Unfortunately, the boys who confessed to her were the weird stalker types most of the time. She wished her friend was a bit stronger and had the heart to tell the boys off. Sadly, Kayeon was just too soft and cared about how her words might affect others.

 

 

“Do you want me to scare him away?” Yejin offered with a mischievous grin.

 

 

“Does your plan involve blackmailing him while pretending to be my dad?” Kayeon bluntly questioned.

 

 

“Maybe~” Yejin replied.

 

 

“Then no,” her friend rejected the offer.

 

 

“Hey, you gotta admit… it worked like a charm the last time,” Yejin defended her plan and Kayeon chuckled at the memory.

 

 

“Oh by the way, today is the talent show during lunch. Make sure you’re there because Ahjung is going to be playing her violin and we need to be there to cheer her on,” Kayeon reminded. Every year, the school held a talent show during the beginning of the year to get students pumped up for the school semester. Obviously, Yejin never performed or anything but many others who had talents to share did, such as one of her best friends.

 

 

“Pfft. You thought I would forget? I wouldn’t miss anything for my besties,” Yejin proudly proclaimed and the girl’s friend gave her a hug. The first period bell rang, signaling students that they had 5 minutes to run to their first class. “See you later Kayeon!” Yejin waved before they parted.

 

 

During first period, the math teacher taught a new material that was very confusing. Since the course Yejin was taking was Calculus, the class was very fast paced and required critical thinking.

 

 

“Aish, I’m gonna get a B this semester at this rate!” Yejin shouted in frustration as she hung her head. The bell ending first period had rang and Ahjung was in the midst of consoling the stressed-out Yejin.

 

 

“Don’t worry chingu! You still have plenty of time left to get this down. I believe in you. After all, you are THE Yejin,” Ahjung reasoned.

 

 

Yejin glared, “Uhm exquese me but you’re just saying that because you’re a genius at math! Why can’t you just tutor me?” Yejin whined. “This is like… the first time I’m actually struggling with a class!”

 

 

Ahjung sighed and patted her friend’s back. “You know I don’t have time to even if I wanted to. My parents schedule like a million practices for me every week.”

 

 

Yejin immediately felt bad. She forgot to consider how hard it was for her friend to balance academics and practicing three different instruments. “Oh yeah… never mind what I said. But speaking of instruments, I am totally excited for lunch today!! I’m gonna scream ‘SLAY AHJUNG SLAYYYY’ when you perform kay?” Yejin promised and Ahjung laughed. The two girls then went to their respective second period.

 

 

When Yejin got to her second class, she sat down in her seat. *I hope Taehyung and Jungkook are absent today* she thought. And at that exact moment, the two boys boisterously took their seats and greeted Yejin. The girl didn’t even bother saying hi back and only stared at them with an unamused face. *Of course.*

 

 

“Oh by the way, are you going to see the talent show during lunch today?” Jungkook asked.

 

 

“Yeah. Why?” the girl responded curiously.

 

 

“We’re going to be performing in it!” Taehyung announced proudly.

 

 

Yejin smirked. “Aha is that so? What’s your talent going to be? Super gluing your fingers together?” the girl teased, recalling the incident from the previous week.

 

 

“Of course not! We’re going to be doing something else,” Taehyung exclaimed, not even getting the sarcasm in Yejin’s comment.

 

 

*Is this kid for real?* Yejin contemplated as she gave the boy a deadpan look.

 


 

Lo and behold, the anticipated moment has come. Students chattered enthusiastically as they crowded into the auditorium, where a big stage was enclosed by a think red curtain at the front. Yejin and all her friends sat together in one area as they watched Ahjung make her way back stage. “Good luck, bae! You got this,” Yejin rooted for her best friend.

 

 

And so one by one, each talent performed their specialty and received applause from the crowd. There was a wide variety of talents shown, ranging from a group of students who could juggle all kinds of fruits to a girl who danced ballet. There was even one boy who recited an entire section of Shakespeare. When Ahjung came out to perform her violin piece, her friends went crazy.

 

 

“SLAY AHJUNG SLAYYYY,” Yejin screamed as she promised she would, making the people in the auditorium laugh.

 

 

Ahjung beautifully executed Violin Concerto in D by Beethoven, quickly moving her fingers over the strings and striking her bow back in forth in a manner that mesmerized the entire student body. Her crescendos and fortes were on point, making her group of friends proud. *Yas bae yasss. Represent!* Yejin rooted in her mind, as if Ahjung’s violin piece was somehow representing her entire group of friends.

 

 

When the girl had finished her piece, the entire auditorium was filled with roaring approval and standing ovation. Yejin wiped a fake tear from her eye as she leaned against Kayeon. “Our baby is all grown up,” she said and Kayeon nodded in agreement. The girls gave Ahjung two thumbs up when she looked their way, and the violinist smiled happily.

 

 

“Last up, we have a group of boys who call themselves BTS,” the MC, who was the student council president, announced. “They will be singing and dancing to a song they created themselves, Hormone War!” the host enthusiastically declared. Yejin rolled her eyes, *Oh please, spare us.* However, the girl’s eyes widened when almost all the girls in the room started doing that fangirl scream of theirs. Even the boys were loudly howling.

 

 

Yejin looked at Kayeon with an incredulous look, “Dafuq is wrong with these kids? Are they high or something?”

 

 

Kayeon shrugged. “I guess this is why they’re popular,” she replied.

 

 

At that moment, the lights in the auditorium went out and a heavy beat started playing, causing the audience to cheer even louder. Yejin covered her ears.

 

 

“Nugu ttaemune~” Namjoon started with a booming voice, as a bright spotlight singled him out. One by one, the other members of BTS started walking onstage and the cheering got even crazier. If that was possible.

 

 

As the boys teasingly swayed their bodies and displayed smooth moves that made the girls go wild, Yejin was focused on the lyrics of the song. And she was speechless.

 

 

“My eyes keep turning to the girls (yup)

Girls are like an equation, us guys just do them (yup)

Wear them more,

your high heels

I’m 18, I know what I need to know

I know that girls are the best things in the world

Yes I’m a bad boy so i like bad girl

Come here baby, we’re gonna hit it off,” Jungkook rapped and Yejin’s eyes widened.

 

 

“What. The. Actual. Fuq.” the girl whispered. “Is this legal?”

 

 

After that part, Taehyung started his part singing, “Tell me what you want right now… Imma give it to you girl right now.” To Yejin’s horror, Taehyung pointed briefly in Yejin’s direction in the audience, a teasing smile playing on his lips.

 

 

*OH HELL NO. PLEASE DON’T TELL ME THAT JUST HAPPENED WHILE HE WAS SINGING THAT PART. HE CAN’T SEE ME RIGHT? THE AUDIENCE PART IS DARK WHILE THE SPOLIGHT IS ALL UP IN HIS EYES. YEAH THAT’S RIGHT. HE PROBABLY POINTED TO SOMEONE ELSE.* the girl tried to reassure herself.

 

 

However, to raise her suspicions, Jungkook winked right at her while he was singing, “Your front is the best, your back is the best.” And there was no mistake about it.

 

 

Yejin glared at the group performing on stage. *I’m going to give these boys a piece of my mind.*

 

 

The rest of the song wasn’t much more appropriate. However, when the song finally ended, the crowd went wild. BTS lazily bowed and waved at the crowd before exiting the stage, leaving a thousand students cheering and one girl dumbfounded.

 

 

 

A/N: Yayyy finally an update ^^ School nowadays is literally doing the most so I'm exhausted ;-;

Yet I must update for my lovely supporters! <3

As you have noticed, Yejin uses a lot of ratchet phrases and slang XD But she still has a lovable personality.

And for those of you who didn't know, Hormone War is actually a song in BTS' most recent album. Check the lyrics out for yourselves~

But just know... you've been warned.