Pretend Hospital and Picnic

The Atypical One

“Unnie~” Yejin felt a tug on the hem of her t-shirt and she looked down to see Minah, one of the little kids, trying to get her attention.

                                   

 

“Yeah?” Yejin smiled and bent down to her eye level. “What’s up?”

 

 

“Play pretend with us!” Minah giggled and Yejin looked up to see that “us” was a majority of the kids at the daycare, awaiting for their unnie/noona to join in the game. They all had hopeful looks and Yejin just couldn’t.

 

 

*Why are little kids so darn cute?* she thought. “Of course I’ll play with you guys! What do we want to play pretend? School? Hospital? Castle?” she suggested optimistically.

 

 

After a while, the kids decided to settle with playing pretend hospital. As Yejin took out all the play set hospital kits the day care owned out of the toy bins, Yejin heard some of the kids surrounding Jungkook and Taehyung.

 

 

“Hyungs~ Please play pretend hospital with us,” a boy named Junsuh pleaded.

 

 

“Ooooh! I’ll play!” Taehyung immediately accepted the offer. On the other hand, Jungkook didn’t seem too certain.

 

 

“Er… I’ll watch from the side,” he said hesitantly and the kids all whined.

 

 

“Don’t worry. He’s playing with us,” Yejin interjected and the kids cheered.

 

 

Jungkook gave her a look that said *What?! I did not sign up for this!* and Yejin gave him a look that said *Just shut up and play or else.*

 

 

As kids decided on the role they wanted to play, some nurses, and other doctors, Yejin was chosen to be the head doctor by all the kids.

 

 

Yejin put a hand on her heart, feeling touched. “Why, I’ll take the position as head doctor with honor,” she curtsied before putting on a white lab coat. “But who’ll be our patients?”

 

 

“Jungkook and Taehyung oppas should be the patients!” a girl named Inyoung suggested and the rest shouted their agreement.

 

 

Yejin smirked at the two boys. Taehyung was already laying on the ground, waiting to be “operated on” while Jungkook had an expression that indicated he’d rather be at school learning math than being a “patient.”

 

 

“Hurry and lay down too Jungkook oppa!” Inyoung commanded and the kids practically forced Jungkook onto his back.

 

 

Yejin headed over closer to the patients and put her index finger on her lips, pretending to be in deep thought. “Fellow doctors, it’s with much grief that I announce our patients have a very bad pain in their stomach. We must operate on them. Now,” she nodded, pretending to wipe tears away from her eyes.

 

 

The kids gasped and looked worried. Yejin saw Jungkook’s eyes widen and start to open his mouth in objection but before he could, all hell went loose.

 

 

“HURRY! WE MUST SAVE OUR HYUNGS!” a boy shouted, as if he was a Spartan declaring war. All the nurses and doctors took fake needles and started poking the two patients on the stomach.

 

 

Yejin raised an eyebrow when she saw Taehyung dying of laughter as he wriggled uncontrollably. *Geez. Ticklish much?* she thought, making a mental note of that weakness to herself for future references. Then Yejin looked to see how the kids were operating on Jungkook and was immensely amused to see Jungkook holding onto his stomach.

 

 

“Ow! Guys, don’t poke too hard!” he pleaded, only to be jabbed repeatedly with plastic toys.

 

 

When the kids turned to Yejin to seek approval with the job they were doing from their head doctor, she immediately switched the smirk on her face to a very serious frown. She nodded as if to allow the kids to continue and they immediately went back to probing the boys’ bellies.

 

 

Yejin secretly took out her phone and recorded a short video. It was just too good of an opportunity. A couple of the school’s most popular boys being tortured by young children. One was laughing hysterically, face all red while the other was groaning and spazzing in pain.

 

 

“Alright guys! I think the patients are all healed now! Great job everyone. Thanks to the team, we were able to save precious lives,” Yejin praised the kids and they high-fived each other with proud beams on their face.

 

 

*Healed?! Healed my . They practically bruised my entire abdomen,* Jungkook thought and gave Yejin a death glare. The girl only faked an innocent expression and shrugged, but not before letting Jungkook see a small smirk.

 

 

Yejin then turned towards Taehyung to find him still out of it. She rolled her eyes. “Yah, Kim Taehyung. Get it together… before I tickle you,” and at that, Taehyung only started laughing like a maniac again. Yejin face palmed herself.

 

 

“Aaaanyway, listen up everyone! Go wash your hands because it’s… picnic time!!” Yejin announced and there was more excitement in the room than anyone would see at a circus. Kids scrambled around to either get to the sink or grab something they wanted to take outside with them.

 

 

Yejin started putting away the toys. Jungkook sighed and got up to help her.

 

 

“Thanks for the operation Dr. Lee,” he said sarcastically and Yejin smiled sweetly.

 

 

“You’re very welcome. It’s not every day you get to see miracles like this happen,” she joked. The two quickly finished cleaning up the toys. Then they got the picnic blankets and food ready for lunch. Taehyung, who was running around the building with the kids, seemed to be even more excited than the children themselves. Yejin shook her head.

 

 

“Is he really 16 years old? I swear he’s one of them,” Yejin chuckled.

 

 

“You have no idea,” Jungkook replied.

 

 

As the kids marched in a single file line to the beautiful field behind their Daycare, Yejin took a moment to breathe in the air and appreciate the perfect breeze that blew her hair back. *I wish everyday had weather this great,* she thought as she observed the scene in front of them. The field was quite large and yellow flowers grew on the sides where the field eventually led into the woods.

 

 

Yejin took the large blankets they had and spread them out in the middle of the field while the kids chattered and talked about what they wanted to eat.  Once she was done, she turned to the kids. “Today, for lunch, we have provided you guys pasta salad and fried chicken! Desert includes watermelon slices and brownies.”

 

 

The kids cheered and started begging for the food. Yejin, Jungkook, and Taehyung tended to the needs of every child, providing them with water and napkins. The three were busy for a good fifteen minutes as kids left and right called for them.

 

 

Yejin let out an exhausted sigh as she was finally able to sit down and eat some lunch herself. Jungkook and Taehyung joined her, looking worn out as well.

 

 

“Where in the world are these children getting their energy from?” Jungkook asked, shaking his head and the other two just heaved a sigh.

 

 

When the kids and staff had finished eating the delicious meal, they decided to stay outside a bit longer because the weather was just so perfect. Taehyung left to go play with the kids at the end of the field, but not before receiving a strict order from Yejin to keep an eye on where every single one of them were at any given moment. Jungkook and Yejin stayed behind to clean up the mess and fold the blankets back up together.

 

 

“The weather today is really doin’ the most,” Yejin said, earning a weird look from Jungkook. “Doin’ the most in a good way, I mean,” she added, only to receive another confused look from the boy. She gave him a -.- look and decided to drop it. “Hey, help me fold this blanket back up,” she requested and Jungkook set down the cups he’s been stacking up to come over.

 

 

“Ugh look at all the grass on this. Take the other end and shake it off,” she said, already grabbing onto the other end of the blanket. When the two simultaneously started straightening the blanket from both sides, Jungkook accidentally pulled the corners of the blanket right out of Yejin’s hand. “Hey! Don’t pull too hard! Now we have to start all over again,” the girl huffed and Jungkook only smirked. When they attempted to shake out the wrinkles of the blanket again, Jungkook purposely tugged slightly harder, causing the blanket to slip right out of Yejin’s grasp again. “Oh my-“ Yejin exclaimed while looking to the heavens, causing Jungkook to chortle. When Yejin noticed that her partner was amused by this, she let out a fake laugh. “Heh heh is this funny to you?” she questioned and Jungkook nodded.

 

 

On the third try of trying to straighten and fold the picnic blanket, Yejin tugged extremely hard, taking Jungkook by surprise and causing him to faceplant onto the ground. “PUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!” Yejin laughed extra loud while pointing to Jungkook’s state. Kids near them looked at what was going on and burst out into laughter as they saw Jungkook spitting bits of grass blades out of his mouth. Yejin wiped an invisible tear from her right eye, pretending to be crying tears of laughter.

 

 

A few minutes later, right before Yejin was about to announce that they were going to head back inside, Taehyung approached her with his hands behind his back. A group of giggling little girls surrounded him and Yejin looked at Taehyung with an eyebrow raised, as if to ask what was going on.

 

 

At that moment, Taehyung pulled out something from behind his back with a wide smile on his face. It was a crown made of the yellow flowers which surrounded the field. Yejin let out a gasp. “Wow, it’s so pretty!” she exclaimed. “Who made it?”

 

 

“The kids and I made it together,” Taehyung replied before surprising Yejin even more by placing the crown on her head.

 

 

“For me?! Oh em gee, guys I LOVE it!” Yejin squealed before wrapping all the kids and Taehyung into a big group hug. She took a moment to nod a thanks at Taehyung for keeping the kids safe and making her the flower crown.

 

 

 “Let’s all go inside together and have story time,” Yejin suggested. The kids all gathered together and held hands in a line. The kids also forced Yejin, Jungkook and Taehyung to grab onto their hands and join the parade. The three gladly obeyed their wishes. As the big group headed back into the building, they all belted a children’s song at the top of their lungs, all while the sun shone brightly down on them.

 

 

 

A/N: Omf- this chapter has more fluff than I orignially intended OTL

That's what happens when kids are involved in stories XD

Btw, sorry for not posting this last night, I accidentally fell asleep while proof reading it >.<

Thanks to all my new subbies. Please leave comments on what you thought of this chapter! <3