Personal Tutor

The Atypical One

“I’m officially done. I can’t,” Yejin sighed as she put her head down on the table. It was first period. AKA Calculus class. The teacher had just finished the lesson for the day and she had given the last few minutes of class for students to pack up and chat.

 

 

Ahjung, who was filing away her papers next to Yejin, looked up. “Why? What’s wrong?”

 

 

“Everything. I’m definitely getting a B in this class. We only have one test left this quarter and I highly doubt I can get a good grade on that.”

 

 

Ahjung tilted her head. “Why not? You’re smart, Yejin. Smarter than me!”

 

 

Yejin snorted at this comment and gave her friend a deadpan look. “I wish. UGH what am I going to do???” the girl wailed.

 

 

“I’m sorry. I wish I could tutor you but you know my parents… they already have my schedule planned out for me,” Ahjung gave her friend a sympathetic look.

 

 

Yejin gave her friend a small smile. She loved that her best friends knew how to react to everything she did or say. “No, it’s fine. This isn’t your problem anyway. I need to get ahold of myself and actually do my homework.”

 

 

Ahjung shook her head with a chuckle. “Actually, considering the fact that you don’t even try, a B in this class is amazing. I can’t believe you. Why don’t you actually just try and do the work?”

 

 

Yejin dramatically threw her hands into the air. “I know right?! I just can’t seem to stop myself from procrastinating! It’s like… it’s like if I actually do homework one night, I’ll die.”

 

 

Ahjung gave her friend a skeptical look but patted her on the back as the bell rang, signaling the students to go to their second class of the day.

 

 

Yejin walked into her second period with a sad face. No one understood her. People around her thought that she wasn’t being serious when she said procrastinating was a part of her. Yejin just couldn’t not procrastinate. She would literally go home and do anything BUT homework. *Aish. The only way I’ll ever do homework is if someone is next to me and forcing me to do it,* Yejin thought. She was ashamed to admit it but it was true… she just couldn’t do it by herself.

 

 

“Uh… are you ok?” Jungkook asked the girl as soon as she slumped into her seat across the boys and put her head down. Yejin shook her head, still keeping her head buried in her arms.

 

 

“Um… are you mad at us again?” Taehyung asked, and once again, Yejin just shook her head.

 

 

The two boys looked at each other and shrugged.

 

 

“Then what’s wrong?” Jungkook tried again.

 

 

The boys slightly jumped back when Yejin suddenly straightened up in her seat and dramatically cried, “I’m going to FAIL math!!!!”

 

 

Taehyung blinked. “Math as in… the class?”

 

 

Yejin looked in Taehyung’s direction as her left eye twitched. *Why do I even try?* Yejin sighed and decided to drop it when Jungkook suddenly piped up.

 

 

“I’ll help you.”

 

 

Yejin turned her gaze to Jungkook now. “Uhm… what?”

 

 

“I’ll tutor you. So that you won’t fail math,” Jungkook simply restated.

 

 

Yejin’s entire face brightened. “Really?! Wait. But first, what level math are you taking and what’s your grade in that class?”

 

 

“I’m in Calculus. I have a 97% in the class-“

 

 

“Tutor me. PLEASEEEEEE,” Yejin started begging, even before the boy had finished his sentence.

 

 

Jungkook chuckled and nodded. “I can tutor you after school in the library for an hour each day.”

 

 

Yejin nodded eagerly, a beam still present on her face. “Thank you so much!! I would hug you if we weren’t about to start class!” Yejin said the last part without much thought but it definitely caught the two boys’ attention.

 

 

*I wish we weren’t about to start class,* Jungkook thought.

 

 

*Thank goodness we’re about to start class,* Taehyung thought.

 

 

That day after school, Yejin skipped to the library. She scanned the large room for her tutor and immediately spotted him at a table towards the back of the room. The place was pretty deserted, except for the few kids who had decided to stay after school and study.

 

 

“Hiiiiii,” Yejin whisper-yelled, careful to not disturb anyone, as she took a seat next to Jungkook.

 

 

The boy looked up and immediately smiled at Yejin. “Oh, you’re here. Are you ready to start?”

 

 

The girl nodded eagerly and took out her math binder. She was looking forward to finally improving in that class.

 

 

“First, I want to know where you’re at in the class. What’s your current grade and what’s your goal?”

 

 

“I have a B right now. But I want an A. And all we have left is one test next week, so that’s my last chance to raise my grade,” Yejin reported.

 

 

Jungkook raised an eyebrow. “Uhm. If I’m not mistaken, you said you were going to fail math? You have a B…”

 

 

“That’s basically a failing grade for me. Plus, you have a high A in that class. I thought you’d understand,” Yejin sulked slightly.

 

 

“No no no, I do understand. I, myself, try to get straight A’s all the time as well,” Jungkook immediately cut in.

 

 

Yejin’s face brightened again. “Alrighty then! Teach me.”

 

 

As Yejin took out her math notebook and pencil, Jungkook started going over what they were learning in class. Yejin paid close attention to what her tutor was saying and made mental notes of all the steps he was stressing importance on. She nodded whenever Jungkook explained a concept. She looked up when he suddenly put down his pencil and leaned back.

 

 

“Now you try one,” he suggested.

 

 

Yejin looked down at the next problem on her worksheet and hesitantly wrote down the formula. Then, she continued by finding the derivative. She looked up at her tutor as if to ask if she was on the right track. When he nodded his approval, Yejin continued with the equation, making sure to follow every step Jungkook had just shown her. When she was finished with the problem, Jungkook looked over her work. Yejin bit her lip and tightly held her pencil, hoping she didn’t make any mistakes.

 

 

“Good job. You got the right answer,” Jungkook praised. Yejin breathed a deep sigh of relief and went onto solving the next problem, fully concentrated.

 

 

Jungkook leaned back and stared at Yejin. He was slightly amused at her constantly changing expression, eyebrows furrowed in confusion one second and eyes brightened in realization the next. His eyes continued scanning her face, moving down to her lips, which were mumbling the countless equations and rules of calculus. He gaze stayed fixed on her.

 

 

“Uh, could you stop looking at me? I know you hate me for doing this to you but it’s rude to stare,” Yejin suddenly said. She had not even looked up from her paper but she could feel his eyes boring holes into her face.

 

 

Jungkook immediately looked away and blushed at having been caught. He reached up to rub his neck in shame when he suddenly processed what she had said.

 

 

“Wait what? I don’t hate you!” he said defensively, making sure his comment was quiet enough for only Yejin to hear.

 

 

The girl snorted, not realizing the sincerity in his response. “Suuuuuure. Don’t worry though… I’d hate whoever made me tutor them as well,” she comforted.

 

 

Jungkook gawked at Yejin’s blunt honesty and shook his head, making a mental note to himself to never ask this girl for tutoring.

 

 

For the next hour, Jungkook continued to teach and Yejin continued to practice. When they were done, Yejin sighed in exhaustion.

 

 

“I’ve never tried this hard for any class. My head hurts.”

 

 

Jungkook chuckled and looked over at the girl, who looked like she was absolutely done. “I still can’t believe you don’t try at all for any of your classes. Aren’t you worried about your grades slipping?”

 

 

Yejin looked up thoughtfully. “Hmm… you’re right. I don’t know how I got this far without even doing homework. But I should start studying. Junior year is not so easy… who knows what will happen to my grades. I mean, look at me in math right now. The struggle is real.”

 

 

Jungkook chuckled. “Well… you can always ask me for help. I’d be glad to tutor you any time.”

 

 

Yejin gave her tutor a strange look. “Dafuq? Jungkook, if you’re making fun of me right now and calling me dumb, I’ll tell everyone at school that you peed yourself on a roller coaster.”

 

 

“What?! That wasn’t even me!! T-that was Jimin!” Jungkook said, horrified.

 

 

Yejin shrugged. “Was it? I don’t remember all too clearly,” she pretended to be in thought before smirking at Jungkook and getting up from the table. “Thanks for the help today, though. I’ll see ya tomorrow~” the girl waved before exiting the library, leaving Jungkook stunned.

 

 

*She’s a dangerous one… for sure,* Jungkook shivered.

 

 

 

A/N: So I had no school yesterday and I really wanted to update but guess what.

I got ALL four of my wisdom teeth taken out ALL at once. Bruh, I was dying in pain. And the sedation from the surgery made me sleep the entire day so that's why I couldn't update. Even now, I look like a chipmunk and I'm updating with an ice pack held to my cheeks ;-;

I really hope the swelling goes down by Monday :( I don't wanna go to school looking like a chipmunk~~~ T.T