Fever

The Atypical One

*DON’T DROP THAT THUN THUN THUN~ AYEEEE! DON’T DROP THAT-*

 

 

“Hello?” Yejin answered her phone. It was a Friday afternoon and Yejin had just gotten home from school a couple of hours ago.

 

 

“Hey, it’s me… Jungkook.”

 

 

The girl rolled her eyes. “What do you want?”

 

 

“Could you… come over here right now? Taehyung is not waking up,” Jungkook said in a worried tone.

 

 

“Okay… and you want me to come over because he’s sleeping? Boy, I want to sleep too ‘kay? It’s been a long week and I-“

 

 

“Yejin, please. We’re worried about him,” Jungkook suddenly pleaded, cutting her off.

 

 

The girl felt her left eye twitch. *This better be good or else I’m throwing everything they love into the ocean.* “UGH fine. Gimme the address,” she barked into the phone before hanging up. A few seconds later, she received a text from Jungkook with an address on it. “Think of this as a favor for tutoring me,” the girl grumbled as she put on a sweater and walked out the door, slamming it in the process.

 

 

The girl hailed a cab and showed the driver the address. When she arrived at Taehyung’s house, she rang the doorbell and was greeted by Jin.

 

 

Yejin raised an eyebrow. “What, so is the whole gang here?”

 

 

Jin let the girl inside and led her to where everyone else was. “Yeah… it’s pretty bad… Taehyung’s condition. He wasn’t feeling well the entire day but when he came home, he just kinda… collapsed.”

 

 

Yejin felt slightly worried but didn’t show her emotions. “So why did you guys call me?”

 

 

She was now in Taehyung’s room and all the other boys nodded or waved at her when she came in. She spotted a figure curled up on the bed and assumed it was Taehyung.

 

 

Jin rubbed the back of his neck. “Well… I dunno… you’re the only girl we’re close to and we thought maybe you would know how to make him feel better.”

 

 

Yejin mentally face palmed herself and gave the boys a look that made them all feel stupid. “Uhm okay first of all, dafuq? Second of all, the actual fuq? And third of all, I’m not a nurse. So… dafuq?”

 

 

When none of the boys replied, the girl rolled her eyes and made her way to the bed. She took one look at Taehyung’s condition and turned back to the rest of the boys. “He has a fever,” she simply said.

 

 

“What? How do you know that?” Yoongi asked.

 

 

The girl requested for a thermometer and when she was given one, Yejin took Taehyung’s temperature. The device read 39 degrees Celsius. She held out the thermometer for everyone else to see the reading. “See? He’s sick. Make him some soup and put some cold towels on his head.”

 

 

The boys in the room looked at one another, slightly clueless as to how exactly this was supposed to work.

 

 

After a few more seconds of silence, Yejin awkwardly stood up and collected her belongings. “Okayyyy, so… I’m going to go now… take care everyone. Have a nice weekend and-“

 

 

The girl was stopped from leaving the room when Jungkook abruptly stood up and held onto her right arm. Yejin looked at the boy, alarmed. “Uhm……………!” Yejin looked down at her arm, then at Jungkook’s face. And then again at her arm.

 

 

“Stay… please help us,” he pleaded quietly.

 

 

Yejin mentally rolled her eyes at the scene in front of her. The boys were literally acting like Taehyung was going to die. *He has a fever ffs. A FEVER!* However, Yejin knew just as equally that these boys were helpless when it came to things like these. Yejin eventually sighed slowly before releasing herself from Jungkook’s grip and sitting back down in her chair.

 

 

“I’ll call my parents and tell them I’m staying with my friends for the night,” she admitted defeat. Some of the BTS members breathed a sigh of relief and smiled at Yejin. The girl rolled her eyes before asking for a bucket of cold water and towels. Everyone in the room but Yejin and Taehyung dispersed to lend a helping hand. Jin offered to start making some soup because apparently, he knew how to cook.

 

 

*I can’t believe these boys can’t even handle simple things like these,* Yejin thought, shaking her head. However, when she looked down at Taehyung, who was sweating and shivering in his sleep, Yejin couldn’t help but feel bad for him. *Just think of it as a good deed,* she assured herself before shifting the pillow under Taehyung’s head into a more comfortable position.

 


 

 

For the rest of the evening, Yejin attended to Taehyung, periodically changing the cold towel on his head and checking his temperature.

 

 

“Where are his parents?” Yejin asked Namjoon at one point.

 

 

Namjoon shook his head sadly as he replied, “They’re not home very often. They’re always on business trips or out of town for their meetings… actually, I feel really bad for him at times.”

 

 

Yejin was slightly shocked to hear this. “Really? But he always seems so… happy,” she said, looking down at the sleeping boy’s face. Now that Yejin looked closer, she could faintly see the loneliness and sadness in Taehyung. She started feeling bad for all the times she said sarcastic things to him. *Aish, don’t be getting all soft on them now, Lee Yejin. Remember all the trouble they’ve caused YOU?* she thought, but decided not to think of it anymore.

 

 

After a few hours, all the boys had fallen asleep at Taehyung’s house. None of them went to their own homes, as they declared they would see Taehyung feeling better before leaving him.

 

 

Yejin had just finished changing the towel on Taehyung’s forehead for the umpteenth time and she could feel her eyelids getting heavy. She took his temperature once more and faintly smiled when the reading said 37 degrees. Without knowing, she fell asleep at the bedside of Taehyung.

 


 

 

Taehyung woke up with a startled jump in the middle of the night. *Where am I??* he thought. All he saw was complete darkness. He started feeling around with his hands and jumped lightly when he touched another person’s hand. He felt his eye widen and he reached to his side for light. When he felt a switch, he turned it on and a dim light from his lamp illuminated the surroundings. Taehyung breathed a sigh of relief when he saw that he was in his own room, but almost shouted when he saw the body slumped against the side of his bed.

 

 

He leaned in closer and received the shock of his life when he saw that the sleeping figure was Yejin. *What’s she doing here?!*

 

 

Taehyung’s eyes frantically searched the room and realization slowly came over him as he saw the towels and bucket of water on the floor. Taehyung remembered feeling ill earlier that day and his right hand automatically went to his head. *Huh… the fever is gone! Yejin must’ve been busy because of me…* he thought slowly.

 

 

Taehyung stared at the girl’s face, taking in how calm and peaceful she looked. *So different from that glare or smirk she’s always giving me,* he thought to himself and chuckled. Taehyung felt immensely happy that the girl was there. Next to him. He was tempted to move her so that she could sleep more comfortably but was afraid of accidentally waking her up. In the end, Taehyung just decided to leave the girl alone.

 

 

He stared at her face for a few more minutes before switching off the lamp light and going back to sleep, a smile on his face.

 


 

 

Yejin woke up to the smell of something burning. Her eyes immediately flew open as she realized this. *SHIET. SOMETHING IS ON FIRE.*

 

 

The girl immediately stood up and ran out of the room, ignoring the slight ache she felt in her back from falling asleep in a weird position the previous night. She followed the smell into the kitchen and felt her jaw drop at the scene in front of her.

 

 

“WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!?!?!?!?” Yejin yelled. “ARE YOU TRYING TO BURN THE HOUSE DOWN?!?!?!?!?”

 

 

“WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO MAKE SOME BACON?!?!?!?!?!?” Jimin replied, panic in his voice.

 

 

Yejin briefly put her face in her hand, asking God why she had to face these boys at this early time on a Saturday morning. She then realized there was no time for self-pity, as she saw that if she didn’t do something this exact moment, the house was literally going to burn down to ashes.

 


So she put on a pair of oven mitts, took the frying pan that was on fire, and dumped it into the sink, blasting cold water on the burning metal. There was much steam and much hissing from the water reacting with the hot surface.

 

 

When the pan was finally cooled down, all that remained were ashes that were once slices of bacon. Yejin slowly turned off the running water and turned to face Jimin with a glare, hands on hips. She raised an eyebrow at him, as if expecting some sort of explanation for this fiasco at 6 am.

 

 

By now, the other members of BTS had rushed to the kitchen, wondering what all the commotion was about.

 

 

Hoseok rubbed his eyes, still half asleep. “Wha...? What’s going on guys?”

 

 

“I don’t know,” Yejin snapped. “But I think Mr. RealSmooth here has an explanation for us.”

 

 

Jimin threw his hands up into the air, defeated. “I just wanted some bacon! I didn’t know how to control the fire!” he defended himself.

 

 

“Uh huh. And so you thought it was a good idea to use someone else’s stove,” Yejin sarcastically pointed out.

 

 

Jimin crossed his arms and mumbled sadly at the pan in the sink, which was now soaked in water. “My bacon…” he sniffled and Yejin rolled her eyes.

 

 

The girl spotted Taehyung in the room as well and immediately softened. “Oh hey! Are you feeling better?” she asked.

 

 

Everyone else in the room was now focused on Taehyung, remembering how the previous night had gone down.

 

 

Taehyung smiled sheepishly while nodding. “Yeah, I’m feeling much better. In fact, I think I’m all healed now. Thanks guys,” he said.

 

 

“It was mostly Yejin who did all the work,” Jin said, nodding at the girl. Yejin hesitantly chuckled, avoiding Taehyung’s gaze, which was trying to make eye contact with Yejin.

 

 

“I know,” he said. “Thanks Yejin.”

 

 

The girl awkwardly nodded before clearing . “So uhm… I’m gonna go now. I have to go home and change for work, which starts in… less than an hour.”

 

 

“Oh yeah, we have work today. Hyung, can you drive Yejin home? Taehyung and I will meet her at the daycare,” Jungkook requested to Namjoon.

 

 

Before Yejin could interrupt and say that she could just catch a taxi, Namjoon was already pushing her out the door.

 

 

“No really, it’s ok,” Yejin began insisting as they headed outside.

 

 

“The Golden Maknae has spoken his wishes. And I must obey,” Namjoon chuckled. Yejin smiled gratefully and just decided to let herself be taken home.

 

 

*These boys never fail to surprise,* she thought.

 

 

 

A/N: YUP! That's right! Another update ^^

All because I love my readers <3 hehe

Lol at Jimin always causing trouble. And poor Taehyung was sick ;-;

But I had to also input some Yejin x TaeTae moments so this was what I came up with OTL

Please leave comments about what you think guys :D