Weekend Job

The Atypical One

*krrrriiiiiiiiiiiingggg* The familiar sound of Yejin’s alarm clock woke her up and she pressed the OFF button with a groan. She really did not feel like going to school today. Yejin legitimately started tearing up at the thought of getting up until she remembered it was Saturday.

 

 

“HALLELUJAH!!!!! I DON’T HAVE SCHOOL FOR TWO DAYS!” the girl suddenly felt more awake than she should have. “But… I have work…” she suddenly remembered and was quiet again. “UGH I hate my life,” Yejin overdramatically threw her pillow over her face and kicked the blankets on her bed. Yejin had a part time job at a daycare. It was something new she was trying out this school year because she wanted to earn some pocket money. She was old enough to not have to depend on her parents’ money for snacks and outings with friends.

 

 

Luckily, Yejin only worked on the weekends so she was not too stressed out trying to handle school work and babysitting at the same time during weekdays. The daycare that Yejin was supposed to work at was especially made for working adults in town who needed a place to drop off their children while they worked. It wasn’t very big and the manager had sent her an email the past week saying that there would be two other workers working with her on the weekends.

 

 

Yejin had to get to her job by 7 am and work until 9 pm, because that was the usual working hours for adults.*I wonder who my co-workers will be. They better be nice or else I’m quitting,* Yejin thought but she knew she couldn’t actually do that. Yejin quickly washed up and threw the t-shirt that the daycare had given her over her head. The t-shirt said “Sunshine Daycare” at the front with a picture of a large sun while the back had their logo, “Making kids’ days brighter.” To be honest, Yejin thought it was such a cliché and boring theme but it was what brought business in so she didn’t mind. With the t-shirt, Yejin wore skinny blue jeans and her converse since she didn’t have anyone to impress at her job. After all, little kids don’t judge what people wear, right?

 

 

“Mom, dad! I’m going to work!! I’ll be back at 9! And don’t worry about my meals. I eat when the kids eat,” she quickly notified her parents and left the house. She caught the city bus that took her to her job place and thanked the driver before hopping off. When she entered the small, yet cheery looking building, Yejin spotted the manager, Ms. Chung, who had interviewed her for her job.

 

 

“Hi there! You must be Yejin right?” the lady asked.

 

 

“Neh! Reporting to duty,” Yejin joked and saluted with a smile.

 

 

Mrs. Chung laughed and briefly went over the basic rules, which Yejin already knew.

 

 

“Plates and utensils for meals are always in this closet and remember-“

 

 

“Make sure the kids wash their hands before eating,” Yejin finished and Mrs. Chung nodded her head in approval.

 

 

“I’m sure I picked the right person for this job,” she praised and Yejin modestly bowed. “Now, the other two workers should be coming in any minute now. I think they’re both your age, actually,” Mrs. Chung stated, causing Yejin’s expression to brighten.

 

 

“Oh, really? Wow, then I can probably be great friends with them!” she cheered happily and Mrs. Chung nodded in agreement.

 

 

“As for me, I’ll be running errands most of the day but you know my number, so just give me a call if you have any questions or problems, alright? Parents should start dropping off their kids in less than half an hour so be ready,” the manager finished and Yejin obediently nodded. With that, Mrs. Chung left.

 

 

Yejin was so excited to start her job. She would be getting 400,000 won (about $400) every weekend for doing something she liked, which was being around little kids. The girl sighed happily as she did last-minute checks around the area, looking to see that everything was in place. Yejin studied the cute little play sets that were set up for the kids to play with when she heard the front door ring.

 

 

“Hello, welcome to Sunshine Day-“ Yejin immediately cut off her sentence when she noticed the people were not costumers. Then her eyes widened when she processed who the people were.

 

 

Jungkook and Taehyung.

 

 

And by looking at the identical “Sunshine Daycare” t-shirts they were wearing, Yejin knew that the two boys were her co-workers. “WHAT?! NO. WAY. YOU GUYS ARE WORKING HERE??” the girl shrieked.

 


Apparently, Yejin was not the only party who was surprised.

 

 

“Hey! It’s Yejin!” Taehyung exclaimed, stating the obvious. As usual.

 

 

Jungkook raised an eyebrow. “What are you doing here?” he asked.

 

 

Yejin had an unamused look on her face. “Oh, nothing. Just standing in a day care with a staff t-shirt on for no reason,” she sarcastically replied, causing the boys to just stare at her. The girl rolled her eyes. “Nevermind. I knew this kind of stuff would happen. ‘Make friends’? So long friendships,” she continued, making the boys give her an even more confused look.

 

 

Yejin casually glanced at the clock and noticed it was almost opening time. “Guys, we can’t just be standing here!” she suddenly changed the topic. “Get ready for the kids to come in,” she ordered and started opening the blinds of the building, letting in the early light. The two boys quickly started helping with the set-up, taking out boxes of toys and putting the sign-in sheets at the front table.

 

 

“Guys, when the people start coming in, you two take care of the parents. I’ll be in charge of leading the kids inside, ok?” she said and the boys nodded. The atmosphere was still a bit awkward. None of them could believe that their classmate from school was going to be working with them. Yejin spoke up again, “I never knew you guys were interested in this kind of stuff… why did you guys choose this job?”

 

 

“Well, you can ask Taehyung about that. He’s the one who dragged me into this,” Jungkook said, sticking a thumb out in Taehyung’s direction.

 

 

Yejin turned to the boy across the room, who was observing the toys. He looked up at the mention of his name. “I like it,” he shrugged. “And I didn’t want to do it alone so I asked Jungkook to come with,” he explained and Yejin chortled.

 

 

“You like this? Do you even get along with little children?” Yejin asked but never got to hear his response as costumers started piling in.

 

 

Taehyung and Jungkook quickly took their places in front of the doors as they instructed parents to fill out the sign-in sheets and informed them about the day’s activities. Meanwhile, Yejin started getting familiar with young new faces. She bent down so she was eye-level with a little girl who looked very shy.

 

 

“Hi, my name is Yejin. And what might your name be?” she asked with a genuine smile on her face.

 

 

“M-my name is Nana and I’m 6 years old,” the girl introduced herself while holding up six fingers.

 

 

Yejin’s heart immediately softened. *How adorable~* she thought. “Well, Nana, I can tell we’re going to be great friends! And by the way, I absolutely love your pink backpack. Did you know pink is one of my favorite colors?” she stated and Nana brightened.

 

 

“Me too! Me too! I have a pink room, pink bed, pink desk, pink stuffed bears,” Nana rambled on and Yejin giggled at the cuteness.

 

 

Jungkook and Taehyung, who were observing the scene, did not know whether they should feel touched or repulsed.

 

 

*I mean… she seems like she’s actually happy… I don’t think she’s being fake,* Jungkook thought.

 

 

*Why can’t she be like this to us at school?* Taehyung pouted and complained in his head.

 

 

And the same thing happened for the next 30 minutes, as the two boys busily tended curious parents while Yejin tried to get to know as many kids as possible. Once all the kids had arrived, Yejin did a head count. She counted 24 kids. She then called out to the kids who were spread out across the room, some playing hide and seek, while others built forts with toy blocks. “Everyone! Let’s all gather on the magic carpet! I have a special announcement,” Yejin hollered and almost immediately, the kids all scrambled to sit on a colored square on what Yejin had referred to as the ‘magic carpet.’ The kids all looked very young, between the ages of 4 and 8. They eagerly looked up at Yejin, anticipating the special news.

 

 

“Welcome to Sunshine Daycare everyone. Are you happy to be here today?” she asked in a clear voice and the kids cheered. Yejin grinned and waited for the youngsters to settle down again. “Before I tell you the list of fun stuff we have to do today, I would like to introduce you to your staff!” she beamed and motioned with a nod for the boys to stand beside her. When they didn’t get the clue and remained standing still, Yejin’s gave the boys a deadpan look. “In other words, the two silly weirdos standing at the back should actually come up front,” she stated more directly and the kids burst out into a fit of laughter. Taehyung and Jungkook suddenly realized what Yejin meant and shamefully made their way up next to her.

 

 

Yejin resumed to her smiling face. “I’ll go first. I am Lee Yejin and I am 16 years old. You guys can call me unnie or noona,” she introduced herself and gave a small wave. The kids politely clapped for her. She nudged Taehyung next to her, signaling him to say his intro as well.

 

 

“Ah, well I’m Taehyung. And… I’m 16 as well. Uh… what else? Oh! I really like to eat!” he said with a goofy smile, causing the kids to giggle. Even Yejin couldn’t resist a small smile.

 

 

Lastly, Jungkook slightly raised a hand. “My name is Jungkook. I’m 16 years old, just like Yejin and Taehyung. You can call me hyung or oppa,” he said the last part with a wink and Yejin felt her left eye twitch.

 

 

“Aaaanyway,” Yejin broke the silence and the kids turned back to her. “Just feel free to approach any one of us about anything. We’ll be here to listen and help with anything you want. Now! Onto the fun stuff!” she announced and the kids cheered. “Today’s schedule will start off with play time. Then we’ll go onto a special picnic for lunch, have story time once we come back, take a nap, and then play a fun game of musical chairs. How does that sound to you guys?” Yejin asked the group and everyone cheered.

 

 

Yejin grinned. She couldn’t wait to see how the day would turn out.

 

 

 

A/N: Ayee guess what! It's the weekend!!! Hooray ^^

Sorry if this chapter was kinda boring :/ The next one will be better I promise >.<

I'll probably update again tonight even a couple more times this weekend :)

And again, I'd just like to thank my new subbies <3 Sorry if I don't get to post a thank you note directly on your wall but know that I do think of you guys c: