Chapter 7: “Officially Meeting The Bosses Part 2”

We Are Dating
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They both stood up from the sofa abruptly, surprised by the sudden arrival of her parents and her father’s words – insinuating a drinking bout to determine Wooyoung’s courage and worth.

“Annyeonghaseyo, Abonim, Omonim, have you been well?” greeted Wooyoung trying his best not to show his nervousness.

“Yes I have been well, but I can’t say you’re going to be after our talk,” replied Seyoung’s father. He then turn to his wife, “Yeobo, get the table ready, I’ve been waiting for this talk for some time now.”

"Appa, wait a minute please. I don't think it's a good idea for you and Wooyoung to have a drink right now," said Seyoung, trying to interfere with the drinking bout that’s about to come. “Wooyoung has to fly out of the country tomorrow.”

“I heard that part, but that’s tomorrow and not today so I think this young man can still have a drink with me and show me what he’s made of.” Said Seyoung’s father; not taking any excuse at all.

“But still, Appa, he needs to prepare for the flight and he’s going to perform,” voiced Seyoung. She doesn’t want Wooyoung to be in trouble later and at the same time she doesn’t want her father to overdrink too.

“So you’re already taking this young man’s side, is that it?” her father accused firmly.

At this point Wooyoung has completely gathered his courage. He said, “Abonim, it’s okay, I’m ready to talk to you. I’m sorry if I was not able to come to greet you sooner; my group just made a comeback recently and we have been promoting. Jwesonghamnida.”

“Kure, I understand about the comeback and promotion, but you still have to drink with me. You think you can date my youngest daughter just like that without asking for my permission first? You’re dead wrong young man,” declared Seyoung’s father. He called for his wife, “Yeobo-ah, is the table ready yet? He said he’s ready, I want to see how long he’s going to last.”

“The table is ready yeobo-ah, don’t make too much noise in there. Your granddaughter is sleeping,” replied Seyoung’s mother.

“Gahpshida, I’ll be considerate and finish this as quickly as possible. Let’s see how prepared you are,” her father said to Wooyoung.

“Yes, Abonim, I am prepared,” answered Wooyoung resigned to whatever is going to happen next. You’ll be okay Wooyoung-ah, you just have to be honest and sincere. You’ll survive, are the thoughts that’s running in his head as he follows Seyoung’s father to what seems to be a music room, judging by the instruments carefully arranged all over.

Seyoung followed closely, worry etched all over her beautiful face. What if this turns out bad? Hold on, he drove himself here right? Oh my God! Should I call his manager or something so he can still make it to his flight tomorrow even if he gets himself seriously drunk tonight? Why is Appa suddenly being this old fashioned by the way? Aaah, this is driving me crazy! She’s having this one sided conversation in her head.

 Before he sat down in front of the prepared table, she touched his arm, causing him to turn to her. They looked at each other, their eyes asking and answering questions they can’t voice out in the current situation; hers seems to be asking if he’s gonna be okay, and his reassuring that he’s gonna be fine.

Unbeknownst to them, their silent exchange is not oblivious to her parents, and both of them are hiding their smiles especially her father, who has been showing a tough image that’s nowhere near his usual self. His desire to know about Wooyoung’s true feelings for his daughter though is not an act, for first and foremost, he is her father and she is his youngest daughter. He cares for her wellbeing and as much as he likes seeing his daughter happy and in love, he doesn’t want to see her broken and sad. I will have to make sure that this man is gonna treat her the way she should be treated, thought Seyoung’s father.

“Sit down so we can begin,” said Seyoung’s father, sounding impatient – his words made Wooyoung and Seyoung snap out of their little private moment.

“Yes, Abonim,” replied Wooyoung and took his seat. He feels like he’s having a mental breakdown even though he’s accepted what’s about to happen, he still feels so worried he might make a mistake or say something wrong.

Wooyoung was handed a shot glass of soju, full to the brim. Seyoung can only shake her head while he downed the liquor in one go because her father was watching him. This was repeated three more times and she can see that the alcohol is getting to him already.

“Appa, drink slowly please. Wooyoung’s gonna pass out anytime soon at your phase,” she said.

“Oh so you are more worried about him than your father,” her father said, trying to sound pained.

“It’s not like that Appa, he has to drive himself home. But at this rate I don’t think he can,” Seyoung reasoned. She looked at Wooyoung who’s clearly feeling the effect of the alcohol and decided, “This won’t do; I’m going to call his manager to pick him up.”

“Seyoung-ah I’m okay,” Wooyoung said holding her hand to stop her from calling his manager. “It’s still early, and I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter