Chapter 13: “It Wasn’t So”

We Are Dating
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Seyoung-ah, Seyoung-ah, let me explain,” Wooyoung said following her out of the apartment.

“Oppa, let her go. Don’t you feel relieved she’s leaving,” Minji said, getting in his way.

“Get out of my way,” Wooyoung shouted as she pushed her aside with his elbow and hurriedly followed Seyoung.

He was not quick enough, plus she has a few meters head start thanks to Minji’s interference. Before he could get really close to her, she already drove away, leaving him broken and worried yet determined to clear himself. He went back to his apartment to get his car key. He was expecting Minji to be gone by now but she’s not. She was waiting for him to come, sitting in one of the single sofa in his living room. He ignored her and took his car key from its holder. He was heading out when she spoke.

“Oppa, are you really going to be like this? Are you really just gonna ignore me?” asked Minji in a pained voice.

“Oh, wae; are you under the impression that I would treat you special because you came back?” Wooyoung said harshly. “Chakak hajima.”

“Aren’t you being too much considering that you’re the one who said ‘let’s break up’ two and a half years ago?” said Minji.

“Are you really going to insist that I asked for a break up back then?” Wooyoung said, annoyed and impatient. “I don’t have time for this but since you’re insisting, I’ll let you have it. What I asked from you is to understand that I won’t always be there – that I can’t, that I have my career in front of me and people that I can’t let down. I was asking for you to endure everything with me, I wanted your patience not the space that you created.”

“Oppa…” said Minji, teary eyed.

“Kurigo, now you’re saying that we broke up but in front of Seyoung you’re insisting that we didn’t,” he pointed out. “Do you think I don’t know what you’re playing at?”

“But we never did broke up, that didn’t happen,” Minji defended weakly. “I know it’s my fault Oppa, I should have listened to you and I should have given you the chance to explain yourself. Mianhae.”

“Don’t you think your apology’s too late? It’s been two and a half years; if you were really sorry, you could have reached out long before,” he said bitterly. “Why now, why when I’ve already moved on?”

“Mianhae, Oppa. Chongmal mianhae. Can’t you find it in you to forgive me, jebal,” she cried. “You promised you’ll love me forever.”

“Kure, I can forgive you in time but that’s it, no more,” he said. “All these years, you think I don’t have any idea what you’re up to, where you were, where you’ve gone when you left without saying goodbye? I know everything, our friends talk about you, and how you’ve been having such an awesome time while I’ve been miserable I even had to take some time off everything.”

“That’s not true Oppa, I was as miserable as you! I’ve been heartbroken since,” she feebly denied.

“Don’t think you can convince me with those tears or your words, it’s not going to happen,” he said firmly. “We’re over – done. I loved you and that it’s. The woman I love just walked out of my door because of you. No, it’s because of me too, because I am too slow, because I was angered by your appearance I couldn’t think straight.”

Minji was speechless; she cannot believe how much he has changed. He was an entirely different person that she can’t help thinking is he really the same guy who begged her to take his dreams into consideration – to endure for and with him. She realized that it was a mistake to have listened to the coaxing for her to get back together with him. She took a deep breath, collected her thoughts and said, “I know this sounds really lame keunde chongmal mollasseo; I didn’t know that what I did hurt you that badly. I didn’t have any idea of how much you suffered after I left. Mian, Oppa. I really thought I still have a place in your heart that’s why I came back, but it’s not so. I sincerely wish you happiness.”

He was surprised by her sudden change of tone – her change of mind, the acceptance and sincerity. For the first time since she stepped into his house he took a good look at her. That’s when it dawned on him that this is not entirely her doing, there’s someone else behind this but he’s really running out of time to pry some more.

“Minji-ah, I know there’s something more behind your appearance today. But I’m really running out of time. I have to go,” he said and hurriedly walk out of the door.

He rushed to where his car was parked and got in as fast as he could. As he makes his way out of the parking lot, he dialed her number. Please pick up, jebal Seyoung-ah, answer the phone, he thought as he waits for her to answer his call – it didn’t happen. He was about to dial again when his phone rings.

“Wooyoung-ah, it’s me,” said Minjun on the other line. “I know it’s supposed to be our rest day today and you’re occupied but we need you to come to the practice room. There are some changes with the routine.”

“Hyung, can I come later. I just really need to take care of something important,” Wooyoung replied in a desperate tone.

“Wae? Wae gure? Moosun il itsseotsseo?” Minjun asked worriedly.

“I’ll tell you about it later Hyung, jebal. I’ll come as soon as I can,” he said before hanging up.

He tried to call Seyoung again only to find out that she has turned her phone off. Where is she? Where in God’s name did she go? Seyoung-ah, mianhae. Jebal let me make it up to you, don’t run away. The more he thinks of what could happen, the more paranoid he becomes. He’s been through something like this before but he’s more at a lost and scared right now than he was before and it’s killing him. He drove around hoping to spot her car but to no avail, that’s when he decided to drive to her home. He was greeted by her puzzled mother.

“I thought you have a schedule or something when I saw Seyoung’s car parked outside. Is something wrong?” she asked concerned.

He do not know how to reply to her mother’s question nor face her properly, he can only fidget with his hands out of nervousness.

“I’ll go call her for you, chamkkanman,” said her mother, getting a hint of the situation and trying her best to be as levelheaded about it as possible.

He waited in agony; it feels like forever before her mother came back and the anticipation build up is nerve wracking plus her pained look keep flashing back in his mind that it makes him wanna kick his own self for being witless. You are so stupid Jang Wooyoung! How can you think of yourself first before the woman you love?

“I’m sorry but she’s asleep. I tried to wake her but she must be really tired, there was no response at all,” her mother said once sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter