Tortuous Thursday

Luck Is Not Chance

“Good Morning Mark.” Kyung’s usual business smile greets me as I open the door to leave my house. He’s standing straight up, hands behind his back. A few feet behind him sits a large white limo, placed ever so oddly in my more modest neighborhood. I’m at a loss for words when a man, who I’m assuming is the butler, comes out and bows at me. Not trying to be rude, I bow back. “I’ve come to get you this morning.”

“Look, I already told you, I’m not joining the student council, it’s gross as when you’re nice to me, and lastly, I don’t know the president. So leave me alone.” I grumble and begin my now awkward walk toward the main street, that is, until I hear a few familiar voices.

“Stop being a stick in the mud Mark!” Taeil pops his head out from the window on the roof of the limo. He sticks his tongue out as Youngji pushes her way up as well, waving franticly toward me. 

“Come take a ride with us Mark!”

“What the hell are you two doing? This is not the time to be easily won over by fancy cars!” I hiss and the side windows slowly roll down to reveal three more heads that I am not surprised to see at all.

“We’re going to be late the longer you complain.” Wooyoung Hyung motions for me to hurry toward the car. I groan as Min Noona smiles.

“You really should have told Kyung you knew Jiho earlier, we could have been riding easy for years!” She sips some fancy drink from a glass cup and I can only shake my head. Only waiting for the last annoying friend to add his two-cents. 

“There’s even breakfast in here! Yah, Mark get in here already. We don’t have all day!” Jo Kwon Hyung demands from his side of the window. I sigh deeply as I walk over to Kyung, getting nice and close in his face.

“Why the hell are you doing this, huh? Is this some kind of joke? Because I’m not laughing.”

“I’m only doing what Jiho has asked.” Kyung says in a calm voice and it agitates me to no end. Who is this Jiho to think he can just push himself into my life? I grit my teeth and send him a nasty glare.

“Yeah? Well if he told you to jump off of a damn bridge, would you?” I growl and turn my back, walking toward the road again. “I’m not taking anything from him, or you. So leave me alone.”

A few hushed whispers from my friends can be heard, but Kyung says nothing. I know he doesn’t like me, so it’s a good thing he gets angry with me quickly. I’m sure things like this will stop now, especially after Jiho appears. I’ll clear things up, tell him I don’t know who the hell he is, and continue living my life with the demon children known as GOT7 and my friends.

A few car doors slam shut and I can hear the others behind me. I turn with an annoyed face and they all give me sheepish smiles.

“Sorry Mark…the car was just so damn cool.” Taeil rubs the back of his head.

“Yeah…we weren’t betraying you or anything…sorry.” Min Noona comes over to grab my arm gently. Youngji agrees.

“He told us that it was gunna be a nice surprise for you, since you’re injured.” 

“I don’t know what came over me, sorry Mark. I should have known that was a bad idea.” Wooyoung Hyung adds with a frown. Jo Kwon Hyung shoves a kimbap in his mouth before frowning as well.

“Sorry Mark.”

“Whatever, just hurry up or we’ll all be late to class.” I sigh, but am happy they decided to walk with me instead. I guess I do have really loyal friends, happy to know I have people I can count on. 

“Oh yeah, Mark?” Wooyoung Hyung says, finding his way by my side.

“Yeah Hyung?”

“How do you feel being a GOT7 member now?” That stops any and all conversations as we head to school. 

“YOU’RE IN GOT7 NOW??” Everyone except for Wooyoung Hyung yell in confusion and I hush them quickly when I realize too many eyes are on us. I look around and Kyung’s car is still in the front of my house. I hope he doesn’t cause any problems for my mother, or better yet, for me later.

“Well yeah. I guess, I mean it’s basically the same as before.” I shrug off their shocked looks. Min Noona covers and I can’t tell if she’s ready to cry or scream. “Anyway, how did you know Hyung?”

Wooyoung Hyung shrugs. “Judging by the dyed hair and the fact that JB now calls you ‘Mark’ when we text, I figured you had to be one of them now.”

Wow, he’s much more perceptive than I thought. I gulp, Min Noona’s expression still too hard to read. “Noona, I know being in a gang isn’t good, but just hear me out. You know that –“

“Which one was it?” She moves her hands to the sides of her face, a mischievous smile across her thin lips. I feel my face tint a soft pink and the others are more thrown off than me.

“Wait? He joined because of one of the members?” Taeil asks confused.

“Of course he did! Mark was against joining wholeheartedly before, but now he’s a part of them all of a sudden? You don’t think that’s odd?” Jo Kwon Hyung confirms and Youngji smiles widely.

“Was it because of Jackson? I know you two are best friends~” She teases.

“No way! I’ve been calling it since day one, it’s because he’s got that hot with JB going on.” Wooyoung Hyung says in a matter-of-a-fact kind of tone. 

“Wrong. It’s obviously Bambam, you saw he came by the last time because Mark called for him! He gave him hickeys before if you remember too.” Jo Kwon Hyung huffs as if everyone was stupid for not seeing the obvious.

“I don’t know. I feel like Junior has been winning some Mark points lately.” Taeil nods his head to himself and I pinch the thin skin between my eyes. 

“Stop it. Does it really matter why I joined? I joined, that’s it. Anyway, we’re going to be late. Let’s just go.” I grumble and they all laugh about my ears being as red as apples and I inwardly plot all of their deaths. However, I couldn’t stop a slight smile from coming across my face, knowing they wouldn’t even believe it was because of the maknae. Kim Yugyeom. 

Ha. What a curveball that’s going to be.

“Gross! Mark’s smiling to himself.” Jo Kwon Hyung laughs loudly.  

“Ewwww. He’s probably thinking about his man right now!” Wooyoung Hyung adds.

“Keep your thoughts PG Mark! We’re near the middle school!” Min Noona gasps. 

“Unless, he is a middle-schooler~” Taeil grins.

“Mark’s a pedo!” Youngji laughs, mouth so wide open I could see the back of . I feel my face get hot again. God damnit, one minute I’m grateful for them, the next I want to strangle them! 

“A-am not!”

 

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

 

"Who would have thought that Kyung was so persistent." Youngji chuckles to herself, flipping through a fencing magazine. "He's even still trying to win us over. He brought me a years subscription to the hottest fencing mag out there. I'm so happy." She beams.

I roll my eyes and watch as Taeil hugs a pail of lollipops of different flavors and sizes. "You guys need to ignore him."

It was already 5th period and it seems the student council is doing the opposite of what they have done before. They’ve brought me things, sent me snacks, got teachers to praise me, heck, they even got me out of gym today. It’s so damn weird. I’m not too sure if I like or dislike it, but either way it needs to stop. They’re even going as far as to bribe my friends with things. Just what is Kyung playing at? No – more like, what is Jiho plotting?

"It's not easy dude! Do you know how hard it is to get these flavors in Korea?" Taeil holds up a white wrapped lollipop, and waves it violently in the air. "One of these cost almost 10 USD!"

"Well, enjoy it while you can, because it stops tomorrow." I inform them with stern glares directed at them both. They frown and huff toward each other. 

"I don't see any harm in taking his gifts." Youngji sighs. 

"GOT7 will kill me. He's the enemy, remember?"

"I doubt that they're that immature, heck, they might even want to take advantage of this as well." Taeil places his pail of lollipops down and crosses his arms. 
I point my pencil at him. "Drop it. Either way, I told you, all of this stays a secret. So no word about it, okay?" Taeil puts his hands up with a low yelp.

"Secrets aren't good Mark. You just joined them too. Why not just tell them?" Youngji scolds.

"It's because you don't know them as well as I do. If you did, you would be doing the exact same thing I am." I sit back in my chair with a deep sigh. "The less they know, the better. They would kill me if they hear this stupid rumor about me knowing Jiho!"

"But what if it's not a rumor? What if you actually do know him? What then? You can't pretend you don't remember him, that would be pretty ed up." Taeil sasses.

"If I can't even remember him now, how will I later? He probably isn’t important enough to be remembered. Again, were not taking about this." I look around the room. It's study hall and even though we aren't the only ones talking, it's still easy to have voices travel into the hall. 

"Do you think the others would hate you?" Youngji stops flipping through her magazine and looks at me. I sigh again. 

Am I scared of being hated that much? I guess from the outside, I must really look stupid. "I don't know. But I do know that they hate Jiho more than anything. I guess I just don't want them to find out I might know him."

"Don't worry! I'm pretty sure they don't talk to other people outside their group besides maybe Jackson. Either way, isn't it a bit too cliché if they just happened to appear right now?" Taeil reassures with a chuckle and looks around as well. "They're all in class remember, cause someone changed them with his love~" He teases.

I threaten to punch him in the face and he just keeps on smiling. "What love? Yah, I didn't do anything."

The sound of a soft flute gets everyone’s attention. Great. An announcement from the student council. Just what I need. "Will Tuan Mark of class one come to the student council office. Tuan Mark of class one." Kyung's annoying- voice chimes over the intercom. 

"You gotta be kidding me." I groan and run my good hand through my hair while looking at Taeil and Youngji. I bet they can see how distressed I am right now.

"You think they’ll track me down if I just don't show up?"

"I don't know. Kyung is pretty persistent." Youngji gives me a sympathetic look. 

"I'll go with you." Taeil nudges me slightly and I hiss in his direction.

"And by that, you mean your only going to visit your boyfriend, right?" 

His face tints a slight pink and he gets his things together. "I told you, we're not like that."

"Whatever helps you sleep at night dude." I chuckle and get up as well. Youngji helps me pack my bookbag and hands it to Taeil to carry. "You’re not coming?"

She shakes her head. "As soon as study hall is over, I'm going to try to find Jackson!"

"Oh~ a date?" Taeil teases and I try to push down that weird sense of jealousy. I literally have no right to feel this way.

She pouts. "No! I want to try to get him to join the fencing club here. He would be an amazing addition to our team and really help me train the newbies."

"Good luck with that." Taeil waves goodbye to her and heads toward the door. He grumbles about me having bricks in my bag and I wonder if Jackson would actually do fencing again. Wasn't that something his biological father made him do? Youngji said he never smiled back then. Maybe it was because he wasn't doing something he cared about?

"It's close to tutoring time.” I clear my throat, quickly stomping on as much of my jealous feelings as I can. “If you hang out on the freshman floor, you might see some of GOT7 walk by." I inform her and she nods with a smile. 

I follow Taeil out and into the hallway, not really knowing what to do with my emotions. Maybe it's not jealousy? Maybe it's just being possessive? Because I feel and want to be the closest to them, I don't want others crossing over where they shouldn't? But do I have a right to do that? Jackson and Youngji had known each other for years prior to us meeting....

I sigh inwardly. This isn't the problem right now Mark. Get it together. The problem right now is getting Kyung to leave me the alone. 

For good.

 

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

 

"I'm pretty sure this counts as harassment Kyung." I cross my legs, sitting nice and comfortable in front of him. He's sitting on Jiho's desk and I wonder if he would be doing that if Jiho was actually here.

"Isn't that a bit too much? This is simply me wanting to know you better Mark." He smiles and I can hear Taeil and Piyo snicker behind me and I’m about ready to throw something heavy and blunt in their direction. Jeez, preschoolers

"I don't want to get to know you. So, can I leave?" 

"Mark. Oh Mark. I really do love that sass of yours." He smiles and I raise an eyebrow at his words.

"Okay. Now I'm really uncomfortable. Taeil, let's go." I motion to Taeil to follow me as I get up from my seat, but Kyung stops me. A gentle hand on my wrist. I shake it away and look at him. "What now?"

"Just hear me out okay? It won't take up too much of your time. If you don't want to stay in here, we can take a nice walk around the courtyard." Kyung gives me a look I've never seen before. Panic. It was strange, it was as if this very conversation held more importance than I knew. Like he actually NEEDED to talk to me.

"Fine. I'll listen to you." I sigh and take a seat back in the nice fancy chair. 

"That's good." His face brightens up and he looks over to the others in the back. "I'll need time alone with him."

Without word the others start to gather their things and before the door closes, Taeil gives me a look of concern. I ignore it. Within minutes the room is silent and Kyung has taken a seat at the president's desk. 

“How’s your injuries Mark? Still painful?” His voice is soft and I shiver. Gross. I really don’t like this concerned Kyung. Where’s the dictator I’m used to?

“I’m fine. The doctor says in a few days I can start wearing a brace.” I say in a calm voice. He smiles.

“That’s good to hear.”

"Look, enough with the small talk. What do you need to talk with me about?"

Now it was Kyung’s turn to sigh. He’s easily angered and ready to lose his patience when it comes to me. I smirk. Good thing I like doing it. "It's about Jiho."

I frown. "I already said, I don't –"

"I know what you said, however, I'm here to inform you that you're wrong."

"What?" That agitates me to no end. "How the hell are you going to tell me what I do and don't know?"

He raises his hand in order to sedate my growing rage. "What I mean is, you do know Jiho, but by a different name."

I make a face at him. "What are you talking about?"

"You see, I've known Jiho since we were brats in preschool. He was always talking about being a hero and helping others. With that being said, he made up a superhero name and often went by that in elementary school."

"I still don't understand what this has to do with me?" 

"Mark, you went to the elementary school a few blocks from here, correct?"

"Yeah?"

"And were you at anytime bullied by the other kids because you were a foreigner?"

Those words make me tense up. Freeze almost with this terrible fear that held my mouth shut. I didn't need to hear anymore to know where this conversation was going.

If what Kyung is saying is true...and we went to the same school. Then...the person who always came to my rescue, the person who made me have faith in other human beings again, helped me grow into who I am today...is....

"You’re trying to tell me that Jiho...is Zico Hyung?" My voice shakes, and is barely a whisper, but Kyung hears me and nods his head. 

My eyes widen and I push back in my chair. No. No. This can't be. Zico Hyung wasn't a terrible person who could have betrayed GOT7, hurt them so badly that they lost faith in outsider, hell he wasn't the type to bully either. I don't understand...how could this be the Zico Hyung that I know? 

"I couldn't believe it either. When Jiho had told me about you so many times when we were kids, I always thought he was joking around. But, he really used to save you back then, even made you call him that stupid name." Kyung’s face contorts with complex emotions that I don’t want to dive into and he sits back in his seat. "Jiho, he's really looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. He says he's always been worried about you. If you had done fine after he graduated."

Even though I can hear Kyung talking, I can't seem to understand any of it. It's just noise in the background to my cracking mind. Jiho...is Zico Hyung. Jiho...that who I hated for what he did to GOT7, is the Zico Hyung that I owe my life to. The one who I've always wanted to see again and thank. 

"H...how is that possible? Zico Hyung had parents. I met them. There is no way he's the Jiho who lived in foster care at the JYP house with GOT7." I look at him, good hand gripped tightly on the arm rest of my chair.

"Unfortunately, Jiho lost his parents to a house fire when he got into Middle school. My parents at the time couldn't support another child either so we couldn't take him in. So he ended up at the JYP house for about 4 years." Kyung informs me and closes his eyes to memories I can't see. "It was rough on him and something about that accident and living there...changed him."

We both get quiet. Kyung seemed lost in his memories while I was in the process of losing my mind. Why...why the hell is this happening to me? Why is Jiho the Zico Hyung that I admired and looked up to? Why does it have to be him?

"I'm leaving." I say with as little emotion as possible. I need to get away from here. I feel like I can't breathe. My head is hurting. Everything is just crumbling under my feet. 

"Mark? Are you okay?" He gets up from his chair and I hold my hand up to stop him. 

"Just leave me alone. Right now...I really need some time to myself." My voice is stern and enough to have Kyung sit back down without further word. 

I stagger over to the door, making it out into the hallway and nearly crash into Taeil as I leave.

"Mark? Dude you look like ? What did Kyung do to you?" He holds both of my shoulders gently and I can only stand there. 

Lost. 

That is what I felt for the rest of the day. To the point that I don’t even realize when school has ended. Or when I walked home. Or when I did my homework, ate dinner, and took a shower. When my head starts to clear out, I’m already laid out on my bed. The lights are off and the house is quiet. I have no concept of time and quickly move my good hand about in order to locate my cellphone. It’s under my pillow and I’ve missed countless calls from Taeil and Youngji and one from Jackson and Junior as well. A few text came in from Bambam about coming over, but I guess I missed all of those.

It’s almost 11 PM and I face palm when I remember Im Jaebum’s invite for a movie tonight, or now, I’m not too sure when they wanted to see it. I feel terrible and hold my phone tightly in my hand. 

What do I do? Who do I talk to about this? Min Noona wouldn’t understand how complex GOT7’s brotherly structure really is. Jo Kwon Hyung has been really busy with hip hop club lately since it’s making its dramatic comeback next week. Wooyoung Hyung is most likely busy with sports and I heard he’s been going to cram school in order to pass the entrance exams for college.

Taeil will ask questions I don’t have answers to, and even though Youngji is understanding, I rather not drag her into all this drama when she’s been busy with fencing. 

That leaves me with my only option. The one who always knows right from wrong. Who literally is an angel descended to Earth to help me with my pitiful roller coaster of a life. The phone rings only a few times before he picks up. I can hear slight noise in the distance, but his voice is clear and caring.

"Hello Hyung!" Youngjae's nice calming voice soothes my inner panic. He's always been the most understanding and the most level headed. I know he's the only one I can ask about it. About Jiho and GOT7. I hold the phone to my ear and make myself comfortable on my bed. "I honestly thought you were going to come over and watch a movie with us."

"Sorry, right now, until I solve this problem...I don't think I have the right."

"What do you mean Hyung?"

"Youngjae...I'm going to say some things...and I hope you won't judge me about them."

"Sure Hyung." He chuckles a little. "You know I'm always here for you.”

"I know, and that's exactly why I called you." I take a deep breath. "Today, Kyung called me to the office again."

"Oh yeah, I heard it from the intercom. He's been bugging you since you dyed your hair, huh?"

"No, I got a pass for that."

"Seriously? Was it because you got us to be better students?" He laughs and I take a deep breath again. Mark...don't back down. Just say it.

"No. Youngjae...I got a pass because I know Jiho."

"What?" His voice flatters and I can tell I wiped the smile clean off of his face. I squeeze my eyes shut.

"Today...Kyung he told me about Jiho. How we used to know each other when we were kids. Jiho...he used to protect me from all the bullies and he was honestly like my best friend. My only friend. But, I haven't talked to him since elementary school because he graduated and went to middle school. I didn't know...I didn't know that he changed so much. Enough to betray and hurt you guys."

"Mark Hyung." His voice sounds more serious than I am used to hearing from Youngjae. It makes me panic, unable to stop talking. I’m terrified of what he will say once I stop. 

"I really didn't know Jiho and Zico Hyung were the same person!"

"Mark Hyung."

"Even now, I'm having a mental breakdown just thinking about it. I was finally able to join and be friends with you guys, but even without trying I went and ed it up – "

"MARK HYUNG!" 

I stop my rambling and the line gets quiet. 

"Hyung calm down."

"O-okay." I feel like a child. Damn it. I’m suppose to be more mature, but I don’t know what to do with myself right now.

"Good. Now listen to me." He begins and he still sounds serious, his usual sleepy voice no where to be found. "We're not going to hate you just because you know Jiho Hyung. Especially since that was years ago. Hyung, really? It was in elementary school."

"But...he betrayed you guys. You guys hate him to death."

"Well yeah we do, but our enemies aren't your enemies Hyung. We hate him for things he's done to us, but he didn't do those things to you."

"But I'm also in GOT7 now. I should – "

"Hyung stop. To be very honest. The problem that happened with Jiho Hyung is our problem. It was a problem between brothers."
So he means I'm an outsider. That kind of stings. I thought I was closer than that. "You're right...sorry. I'm happy to know that you guys won't hate me for knowing him."

"We're not that bad." He chuckles. “Was this all that was bothering you Hyung?”

I make a small noise to confirm his question. “Pretty silly, right?”

“No. Something like this is important to discuss. You're one of us Hyung. So we can talk whenever you want.”

I smile even though he can’t see me, and even though I know I look stupid. “Thanks Youngjae.”

“Glad to help Hyung.” He says in a sing-song manner. “Oh, that’s right. Are you going to sleep soon Hyung?”

“Not that I know of, why?”

“Let me tell you a story." 

"A story?" Is this really a good time for a random story? 

"Yeah, about a spoiled child who wanted attention and the hundreds of children he happened upon on his adventures." Youngjae says in a chipper voice.

"Why does this story sound strange already?" I chuckle. "How does the story start?"

"With a suicide."

“Well that took a dark turn don't you think?" I joke and he laughs. "Seventeen magazine?"

"Nope, this one's from the heart." He begins. "Now let me take you back 7 years ago. To one of the coldest winters Korea's ever seen, when the spoiled child who wanted attention happened upon the most bizarrest of scenes."

"The suicide?"

"Indeed, attempted by a small dark haired, dark eyed 10-year-old boy." 

“Seriously? Wow. What was the kid’s name?"

Youngjae gets quiet, and a soft intake of breath could be heard before he says something that makes all the hairs on my body stand up. 

"Im Jaebum."

 

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

UPDATE!!

Woot! I made the deadline for this Sunday! Though with the start of work I might make the deadline every other Sunday. But we will see. So just expect updates on Sunday, either the next Sunday or the next next Sunday. But I will be making more scheduled updates!

Finally making more progress into the deeper part of the story! We're getting into the dark past of GOT7. Soooo that means the next two (most likely) updates will be about GOT7 and their past with Zico~

Anyway ENJOY!

Subscribe for more~

Comments are motivation :D 

Upvote if you like what you read~!