Chapter 7

The Way He Stares

 

“Hyung!” Kyuhyun shouted. “Get over here and start playing again.” Sungmin reluctantly headed back to his chair by the window.

“Rude much?” Ginger said under her breath.

“Heard that.” Kyuhyun informed her. His gaze never left his computer screen. Ginger rolled her eyes. He may be the shining maknae of Super Junior, but he was just like any other guy she knew. Focused on videogames. She meandered to the couch where Alyssa had made herself right at home. Inception was playing and Ginger put her cheek in her hand and proceeded to watch the movie.

One by one the boys started going to bed. Heechul was the first to go. He needed his beauty rest. Leeteuk was the next to leave. Eunhae left a short while after Leeteuk, which didn’t surprise Alyssa. She then looked over to see Ginger peacefully sleeping; her feet tucked under her and her head on her arms that were crossed on the couch arm rest. Siwon picked Ginger up gently, so she wouldn’t wake up and yell at him again, and he walked to the room that he shared with Sungmin and Kyuhyun.

Siwon came back out a minute later with pajamas in his arms rather than Ginger. “You can crash in our room whenever you want,” he directed at Alyssa before heading to the bathroom to change into his pajamas. Alyssa glanced over to Sungmin and Kyuhyun. Both avidly hitting the keys on their keyboards. There was no way there would be time for a conversation with Sungmin.

Damn you, Kyuhyun.Alyssa said to herself. “Goodnight.” She said getting up and heading to the room that Ginger now occupied. Mumbled “nights” came from Kyumin, obviously not actually paying attention to what she was doing.

Alyssa woke up the next morning and didn’t know where she was. Ginger was not in the room she currently resided in. She hesitantly got out of the bed and looked in the mirror by the door. Eyeliner was smeared across her face. Alyssa wiped it away, leaving slightly pink spots where she rubbed her face. Alyssa stumbled over something as she turned the door knob to leave the bedroom.

Alyssa immediately ran into someone. “Sorry.” She automatically said in English. Suddenly “Sorry, Sorry” was being sung to her. All she could register was ginger hair. Is that really? No. It’s can’t be. But it is! She said to herself.

Unfortunately Alyssa forgot to breathe and she fainted. Sungmin caught her easily so she wouldn’t hit her head on the floor and get a concussion. A couple more of those and Alyssa could potentially have major brain damage. “Ginger!” Sungmin called out.

Ginger appeared, her wardrobe drastically altered from her previous night’s concert attire. She had borrowed a pair of sweatpants and a t-shirt from Donghae. Siwon had offered, but Ginger would have just tripped over his sweatpants. She was holding a piece of peanut butter toast. “Aish woman!” She said as Alyssa came into her view.

Sungmin gently laid Alyssa down on the floor. “Lyssa! Get up!” Ginger said loudly as she started to shake her friend’s shoulders.

Alyssa vaguely heard Ginger calling her name. She started to open her eyes. At that specific moment Sungmin started to say something. Her eyes finally focused on his flawless face as she said “Noona.” In the cutest way possible. Alyssa’s heart nearly stopped. Sungmin had just called her noona. This was the best and worst moment for Alyssa to come around. Best because Sungmin was all sorts of adorable and worst because once again Alyssa was forgetting to breathe.

“Breathe woman!” Ginger ordered. When she was satisfied with Alyssa’s breathing technique she simply walked away.

“Really? That’s all you’re going to say to me?” Alyssa asked Ginger as she disappeared around a corner. Alyssa sat up a little too quickly because she was very light headed and was seeing black dots in her vision.

“Are you alright?” Sungmin asked

“I-I’m fine,” Alyssa replied nervously. She took his outstretched hand. He pulled her up off of the floor effortlessly.

“Do you want to go get some breakfast?” He asked cutely.

“Sure.” Alyssa headed in the direction Ginger had gone.

“No. I mean out to breakfast, at a restaurant.”

“Oh. Uh, sure.” Alyssa needed to fix her makeup and hair before they left.

“Everything you should need will be in the bathroom.” Sungmin said as if he knew what Alyssa was thinking.

“What about Ginger and the others?”

“Everyone else has schedules. Ginger is going with Siwon for the day.”

 “Erm, okay then. I’ll be ready in like half an hour.”

“Take you r time.” He smiled and walked into the room Alyssa had slept in.

Did I sleep in his bed?Alyssa thought. I don’t even want to know the answer. I may just die if I find out. She headed to the bathroom. She closed the door behind her and locked it. She wouldn’t put it past Heechul to try and barge in.

Alyssa was straightening her hair when a frantic knock sounded from the other side of the door. The noise reverberated around the spacious bathroom quite loudly.

“What?” She yelled, annoyed that someone was already disturbing her.

“Lyssa, I need my phone! Siwon and I got to the lobby and I realized I didn’t have it,” came Ginger’s voice. Only she would leave her phone lying around not remember to pick it up.

Alyssa found Ginger’s phone next to the sink closest to the door. She grabbed it and opened the door. Ginger stood there waiting with one hand on her hip. The typical impatient Ginger pose right there. “Nice hat.” Alyssa commented.

Ginger laughed. “Thanks. Siwon gave it to me so that when we go out I won’t be photographed that much and be attacked by the ELFs later when pictures go global.”  Alyssa just stuck out her hand that contained Ginger’s phone. “Thanks, darling. Love you. See you for dinner!” And on that note she turned around and left. Before Alyssa closed the door again she caught a glimpse of Ginger and Siwon holding hands and walking to the door to the hallway.

About forty-five minutes later Alyssa came out of the bathroom looking refreshed. It was probably a good thing that Ginger wasn’t waiting for her. She was such an impatient and punctual person.

“Sorry it took so long.” Alyssa told Sungmin.

He looked up at her from the television show he had been watching. Alyssa saw that it was 16 and Pregnant. She smiled inwardly at his preference of shows. “It’s fine. Ready to go?”

“Yeah. Where do you want to eat?”

“No clue. I’ve never been here before. Have you?”

“I have a few times.”

“Then you decide where we eat.”

“No.” Alyssa said shyly. “I can never make up your mind. Plus it’s your first time in New York. You pick the places you want to go.”

“Well, anywhere with you is where I want to go.” Sungmin said intensely. He was staring at Alyssa trying to make her look him in the eyes. She diligently avoided that.

Why does he have to stare like that? Is there something on my face?Alyssa moves her hand to her face and gently brushes all of it, hoping she got whatever it was off of her face.

“What are you doing?”

“You were staring, so I thought that there was something on my face.”

“No. There is nothing on your face except beauty.”

“Stop it. No it’s not.” Alyssa blushed and looked at the wall to the left of Sungmin and successfully hiding her face with her hair.

“What are you doing?” Sungmin asked again. He put his hand delicately under Alyssa’s chin and turned her face toward him. He then took his hand and tucked the stray strand of hair behind Alyssa’s ear.

Why is he being so nice? He doesn’t even know me. Once he does get to know me he’ll hate me, and not want to look at me ever again. Why did Ginger have to leave? I need my best friend. How can she interact so naturally with guys and get them to like her?Alyssa lost herself in her own thoughts and completely forgot about Sungmin.

“Earth to Alyssa!” Sungmin chanted as he waved his hand in front of her face. Suddenly she was snapped back to reality.

“Sorry. Sort of spaced out there. I was thinking about stuff.” She said hurriedly.

“Anything you want to talk about?”

“No. It’s fine. Come on, let’s go. I’m hungry.” Alyssa her heel and walked to the door. She sat down on a chair so that she could lace up and tie her Converse All Stars. Sungmin already slipped his shoes on and was holding the door open for Alyssa.

“Thanks.” She said. They made their way to the elevator.

Once they got in and hit the lobby button Sungmin grabbed Alyssa’s hand laced his fingers in hers. Alyssa’s heart raced for what seemed like the millionth time that morning. She promptly took her hand out of his.

“I’m sorry. I don’t like skinship.” She blushed and turned to the wall on her right to hide her face. It didn’t work out so well because the walls of the elevators were mirrors.