Chapter 19

The Way He Stares

 

Ginger was happy that her seat was an aisle one. She hated sitting by the window. Whenever she would look outside while they were still sitting at the gate she felt like the plane was moving and it would make her nauseous. She shoved her stuff under the seat in front of her, which so happened to be occupied by Donghae. He had his iPod playing and was silently nodding his head to whatever song was currently playing.

“I have to sit next to you?” Came a voice from Ginger’s right. She looked up to see who that voice belonged to, even though she already knew just by the sound of his voice. She looked up only to stare directly into Kyuhyun’s penetrating gaze.

“It’s not like I wanted to sit next to you either.” Ginger remarked back as she got out into the aisle so Kyuhyun could sit next to the window. After he sat down Ginger slid back into her seat with a heavy sigh. This was going to be a very long trip with Kyuhyun next to her.

“You better get ready because soon we’ll be seeing if you can beat me in Starcraft.” Kyuhyun said not even turning to look at Ginger.

“Just help me with one thing.”

“And why would I do that?”

“So you can have a fair game. Beating people that don’t know the game doesn’t excite you. You like a little bit of a challenge.”

“What makes you think that?” He asked with a startled expression in his eyes.

“You just told me.” Ginger smirked at his open book of a face.

“Aish. Fine,” and Kyuhyun proceeded to explain what keys to press to do certain things in the game. Ginger had no idea how she was going to remember all of the information Kyuhyun was throwing her way. She figured that she would just start to randomly press buttons and pray to God that she would beat him.

People kept filing into the plane and Ginger wanted to see who Alyssa was sitting next to. Turning around to look at the rows behind her Ginger saw that Amber and Victoria were sitting behind her. She smiled politely and bowed her head to acknowledge them. Then looking a little ways past them she saw Alyssa sitting next to the window. Now came the difficult task of seeing who she was talking to at the present moment.

Ginger vaguely saw a glimpse of red hair. Instantly she knew that Alyssa was sitting next to Sungmin. She was very curious to see how this trip would go for the two of them. Sungmin had seemed a little upset when Alyssa just walked away from him in the airport.  

Ginger turned back around and faced the chair in front of her. Take off was nothing, she had flown so many times before that she was used to it. Kyuhyun didn’t speak to her until it was announced that they could use electronics.

“Are you ready to be beaten in Starcraft?” He asked, a smirk graced his flawless face.

“If I said I was sorry, and that I was wrong, do we still have to play this game?”

“Too late for saying sorry. We are playing this game so you can understand that no one here can beat me.”

“But I know you’ll beat me. What’s the point in even trying to beat you when I know that it’s impossible?”

“I have to show you a lesson.” Kyuhyun’s evil/creeper smirk accompanied his reply.

“Aish. Fine. Can you at least help me out a little bit before we play against each other because I have absolutely no clue as to what I’m doing.”

“I suppose so since you’re whining so much.”

“Why thank you, I know I do.” Ginger gave him a cheesy smile. She knew she was whiny, but it did tend to get her things that she wanted.

Kyuhyun rolled his eyes to Ginger’s comment. Then he proceeded to help her out how to play Starcraft. It was rather difficult since Ginger seemed to be video game retarded. Which is true since the only video game that she was good at was Guitar Hero, but can that really be counted as a video game?

It wasn’t until the plane was around California area that Ginger was able to play a game of Starcraft without Kyuhyun’s help. And yet she was still really, really bad. Ginger took a break to watch Kyuhyun play the game. She got a little bit queasy when she watched the screen since it moved around so quickly.

So Ginger decided to shut the laptop that Kyuhyun gave her, and start playing her iPod. Within no time Ginger was fast asleep listening to her “Classical Music” playlist. At first Kyuhyun looked up to see if Henry was around since little Mochi was the only one he knew to listen to that stuff. Pretty quickly he realized that it was coming from beside him. He looked at Ginger, only to find her eyes closed, head tilted to the side slightly, and her breathing slow and shallow.

“Are you upset with me?” Sungmin suddenly questioned Alyssa.

“Why would I be upset with you? You haven’t done anything to piss me off.”

“You just act so cold towards me, and even your reply just now. You won’t even look at me. Instead you’re flipping through that magazine. It just seems like you’re not paying attention to me.”

“Sungmin, I can multitask. Girls are very good at that kind of thing. I’m treating you how I do anyone else. I’m not going to be a fangirl around you, even though that’s exactly what I’m doing in my head.” Alyssa finally looked up from the magazine to look at Sungmin.

“What if I wanted you to act like that sometimes?”

“Wouldn’t that just get annoying? I mean you get that from girls anywhere you go. Why don’t you want a girl to act normal around you?”

“Because then I know that you like me.”

“I like you. You’re my ultimate bias out of Hallyu idols. Yoochun is a close second though.” And with that she turned back to her magazine.

“Thanks for telling me. That way I know never to introduce you to him or JYJ for that matter. Typically if you find one of them the other two are around somewhere nearby.”

“Thanks for the tip. I’ll keep that in mind. I think I’ll go let Ginger know to keep an eye out too.” Alyssa made a move to get up to talk to Ginger. However, Sungmin grabbed her wrist so that she couldn’t go anywhere.

“Please don’t. I just really like you and I want you to see that.” Sungmin’s eyes flew open after the words left his lips. A hand shot to cover his mouth, but it was far too late. Alyssa had heard what he said. They were meant to stay in his mind, but apparently his mind had other plans. Was it even Sungmin that had said those words? Did a ghost temporarily inhabit his body and speak through him. No, Sungmin had truly just said that out loud.

“You…l-like me?” Alyssa stuttered out.

Sungmin sighed heavily. There was no denying this now. “Yes. I like you. You’re different from most girls I’ve met. You’re completely right, most girls I see fangirl over me. And it does get annoying, but at least I know that like me. With you, I just can’t read you. Sometimes you act like you like me, and then at other times you don’t seem to like me. I’m not sure I like this feeling, but you really intrigue me.”

Alyssa just looked at him with a dumbfounded expression on her face. No one had ever confessed that they liked her like that. She tried to make noise, but nothing came out. So she just sat there looking like an idiot with her eyes wide open and mouth hanging to the ground. Alyssa turned her head to see what Ginger was doing. This was one time that she really, REALLY needed to talk with her best friend. However, all Alyssa saw was Ginger’s head on Kyuhyun’s shoulder.

As Ginger continued to sleep her head slowly made its way down to Kyuhyun’s shoulder. She was so tired that she didn’t even feel Kyuhyun push her head back up. No matter how many times Kyuhyun did this Ginger’s head would always make its way back to his shoulder. With a sigh he just let it be. There was no use in keeping up a losing battle. Besides, her sleeping on his shoulder wasn’t affecting his Starcraft playing abilities. If anything he was trying to do really well so that if she did wake up then she could see his amazing ability.

The more Kyuhyun thought about Ginger the more confused he became. She was annoying and infuriating, but so damn cute at the same time. How can anyone be those three things at once? He really just needed to talk to Sungmin. He was always the one that would help him out with his problems. Either that or Leeteuk hyung, but talking about Ginger was out of the question. There would be no way in the world he would ever talk about this with Leeteuk.

Kyuhyun glanced back to see what Sungmin was doing, to see if they could talk. As he looked past Amber and Victoria he met Alyssa’s eyes. Her eyes were wide and was still hanging open. Kyuhyun’s heart started to race, his eyes grew wide, well as wide as they could go…, and he quickly turned his head back around.