CID

The Dauntless Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

He checked the address printed on his employment letter again. The tall building before him was closer to an office building than a police force’s headquarters. A box of stationery and files in one hand, he adjusted his tie with his free hand before pulling up the bag strap that was threatening to fall off his shoulder.

Entering the building, the security guard at the entrance greeted him. He bowed awkwardly in return. After spending ten years overseas, he still had difficulty adjusting to the customs here despite returning five days ago. His family had asked him to take a longer rest before reporting for work, but he had refused. He wasn’t used to having an idle life.

 

The tall man strode towards the receptionist, noticing a few other security guards at the electronic entry gates.

Why would they need so many security guards for a police headquarters?

He chuckled inwardly.

But I guess the security is necessary but appointing police officers as guards here would be a waste. Although the security guards here are probably trained enough to be police officers.

 

 

“Good morning Sir, how can I help you?” The receptionist stood up to greet him.

“I’m reporting for my first day of work.” He passed the employment letter over the counter.

The receptionist scanned the document quickly and a smile dawned on her face as she realized the identity of the man standing before her.

“Officer Cho Kyuhyun-ssi?”

Kyuhyun gave a gentle smile and nodded.

“I’ve heard a lot about you! You are really good looking like everyone says.” The receptionist tried to contain her excitement.

“Thank you. Am I supposed to get a card or…?” Kyuhyun was more than eager to get out of this awkward situation. He didn’t need the unnecessary attention, although everyone in the headquarters had probably heard of his name and his upcoming employment here. His father was after all the Chief Superintendent of the police force.

“Oh, pardon me. I will inform your respective team leader to come down to meet you. Your identity pass and other necessary items are with him.” The receptionist said as she reached out for the phone.

 


“It’s fine, Yuna-ssi. I was already expecting him to be here fifteen minutes earlier than the meeting time.” A man’s voice halted the receptionist’s action.

Kyuhyun glanced at his watch, it was 9.15am, exactly fifteen minutes earlier than his reporting time. He placed the box down on the counter, turning to the third voice, one that was so familiar to him.

 

“Cho Kyuhyun!” Before he could even greet the man, he was enveloped in a bear hug.

“Yah, Choi Siwon! Let go of me!” Kyuhyun struggled in Siwon’s embrace, pushing him aside.

“Woah woah woah, is this how you treat your best friend? The last time we met was what? A year ago in France?” A wide smile hung on Siwon’s face, his dimples deepening.

Kyuhyun returned a grin. As much as he didn’t want to admit it, he missed his friend. They hardly have time to meet up after he left for overseas ten years ago, each busy with their own lives. But they never gave up on trying to keep in contact. A phone call once every fortnight and it was lucky that Kyuhyun was in France when Siwon brought his family over for a holiday.

“Don’t be offended, best friend. Please don’t try to murder me with your crazy tight hugs, but I missed you.” Kyuhyun swung his arm over Siwon’s shoulder as Siwon laughed at his cheesy lines. “How did you know I would be early?”

“Your habits never changed, stubborn guy. Is Korea doing you good?” Siwon slid his arm over Kyuhyun’s shoulder as well.

“Still trying to get used to all the bowing.” Kyuhyun shrugged. “You’re working in the CID too right? Do you know who is my team leader?”

“Hmm… I thought it was pretty obvious.” Siwon held up his hand, a card pass encased in a plastic cover dangled by the lanyard.

 

Kyuhyun grabbed the card to look closer.

Officer Cho Kyuhyun. CID.

It was his identity pass.

 

“W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter