Shipment

The Dauntless Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Siwon sighed. It was the night before the date of the shipment and they were preparing for the ambush. However, they had yet to find out what the shipment contained. He couldn’t help thinking that the operation this time would be a failure again.

There was also no information from any agents. It seemed that Joker had tried to keep it secretive till the end and limiting the number of people who knew. Few days before, Sungmin had messaged to say that he couldn’t help because Asphalt said he wouldn’t be involved. If they had refused to tell Sungmin, does that mean that the shipment was a really major one? Or is he thinking too much? The Revenge faction always kept their mouths tight.

 

Seeing Kyuhyun step back into the office with a mug of coffee in his hand, Siwon was reminded of Jongwoon mentioning an hour ago that Kyuhyun had chased after Dauntless on the night they went to R-Spot. Kyuhyun didn’t include that in his investigation report, claiming that nothing happened.

He dropped the file on his table and walked over to Kyuhyun.

 

“Kyuhyun, I have something to ask you.”

Kyuhyun placed the mug down on his desk. “Yeah?”

“That night when you went to R-Spot with Jongwoon, you met Dauntless, right?” Siwon took care not to use Sungmin’s real name. They were in the office with the other team members after all.

“Yes, it is his branch.” Kyuhyun answered nonchalantly.

“Did you talk to him?” Siwon asked, dual meanings behind his question.

Kyuhyun frowned, as he seemed to recall something. He narrowed his eyes before answering. “No.”

Siwon sighed. Kyuhyun must have tried to talk to Sungmin about TriSatan and even their past. He lowered his voice. “Leave him alone, Kyuhyun.”

“I can’t, Siwon.”

“What do you mean you—” Siwon got distracted by the vibration of his phone in his back pocket. Fishing out his phone, he stared at the familiar number that sent him a message. It was Sungmin.

 

Thinking that he would read the text after finishing his talk with Kyuhyun, he looked back at Kyuhyun, only to see the man working on a document, sipping his coffee.

“Kyuhyun—”

“I’ll be careful. I won’t put him in any danger.” Kyuhyun answered without looking up from the document.

 

Deciding to talk about the issue next time, he opened up the text message as he walked back to his own desk.

“es. Don’t be fully distracted by me tomorrow.”

 

He ran through their plans for the ambush in his head. There would be a distraction, but he cannot ignore it fully as it will cast suspicions on Sungmin. He had to keep the full information a secret from the rest of his team.

 

“Meeting in five, guys. I want to make some revisions to our plan. Hae, call Team D over.”

 

 

 

 

~---~

 

 

 

 

“There’s information that the police has gotten their eyes on the shipment.” Joker said.

 

Sungmin was unsurprised. He had been called in for an emergency meeting along with Jasper, another Lazvol of Joker, Typical and Jet. He did already know that it had something to do with the shipment since Siwon asked him about it. It wasn’t surprising that there were insiders on the police side as well. There will always be.

 

“Cancel the shipment.” Asphalt ordered with a straight face.

“Too late, hyung. We can’t call off the deal last minute. The seller is of status in China.” Joker replied, trying his best to keep his cool.

“Didn’t I tell you that the shipment was too dangerous?! When will you ever learn?” Asphalt banged on the table. Everyone looked down, including Joker.

 

After moments of silence, Asphalt spoke again. “Retain the shipment if possible, else abandon it. Destroy all the evidence of the deal. I don’t want anyone or anything to be caught with proof. If the police catch any tiny weeny thing, don’t you all dare think of returning here in one piece, understand?”

“Yes, Asphalt hyungnim.” The Lazvols answered together.

“Same for you. Don’t you dare try anything funny!” Asphalt warned Joker, who nodded indignantly.

“Sungmin, set up a distraction with Jet. You will be in charge of luring the police away. Jet, security.” Asphalt instructed. “Jasper, Typical, work out the new escape routes.”

“As for you.” Asphalt pointed at his brother. “I don’t care how and who you are going to get to do it, but destroy all the evidence.”

 

“Keep me updated.” Asphalt stood up and left the room, leaving the Lazvols bowing.

The room was silent for moments after Asphalt’s rage as the Lazvols waited for Joker’s reaction. They all knew that Joker respected his brother a lot and always wanted to gain recognition from him.

“!” Joker kicked the chair, making it topple. He stormed out of the room.

 

 

 

“This is my first time seeing Asphalt hyung this angry.” Jasper broke the silence. “Is this normal, Dauntless?”

Sungmin observed Jasper’s amused face. He thought about how amused these guys would truly be if they saw the times Asphalt treated him like a baby. Sungmin shrugged at the question.

 

“I assure you there has been worse.” Jet said and turned to the exit. “Call when you two are done with the routes. Come on, D. We need to sort out the distraction plan.”

Sungmin eyed Jasper and Typical before turning after Jet.

 

He snorted when he heard Jasper talking to Typical as they walked out of the room. “Is Dauntless’s emotions tied to his dear Asphalt hyung’s or something? He is usually friendlier.”

He wasn’t angry. He was just thinking about what this shipment was that made Asphalt this concerned.

 

 

 

 

~---~

 

 

 

 

Sungmin took a sip at his coke and looked out at the night sky. They were at one of the open balconies in Arch-A, after finishing their discussion on the distraction plan.

 

“Is Jasper right?” Jet leaned his back against the ledge, beside Sungmin.

“Right about what?” Sungmin replied without looking at Jet.

“That your emotions are tied to Asphalt hyung’s?” Jet said with a light chuckle.

Sungmin laughed. “Are yours tied to Jasper then? You two joke a lot.”

 

Sungmin turned to the guy with blue fringe. Jet is a nice guy, just like the other female Lazvol under Asphalt, Ginger. The three of them worked well together under Asphalt and Sungmin always felt fortunate that Asphalt’s underlings worked similarly as him. Violence wasn’t the key to everything.

 

Jet gave him a playful push.

 

“Worried about the shipment?” Jet

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter