Unforeseen

The Dauntless Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sungmin hissed as he shrugged his jeans off, pulling on the track pants that Y has rolled up beforehand. He dropped himself down on bed, running the back of his hand across his sweaty forehead. It had been such a long day that all he wanted was to bathe and sleep off everything. But there was one more thing he definitely needed to go through before his underlings would let him rest.

 

“Hyung?” Two knocks sounded on the door. “Are you done changing?”

“Come in,” Sungmin called out, not bothering to get up from his position. There was the sound of the door opening and closing.

“Are you tired, hyung? You should eat something before you go to sleep though.” He felt a slight tug on his bandages. “I’ll be quick with this,” Y said.

Sungmin closed his eyes, taking a brief rest as he bore the pain from the changing of his bandages. He knew his wound wouldn’t be too pretty a sight and he was almost glad that Y chose not to say anything, forgoing the usual nagging.

 

The sound of knocking followed by the opening of the door brought Sungmin’s attention back.


“Hyung, Asphalt hyungnim wants to speak to you,” Hunter informed.

Sungmin tensed up, mind running wild at what Asphalt wanted to talk to him about. Was it Kyuhyun? Did Asphalt find out that he contributed to the CID’s sweeps? He took a deep breath, reassuring himself that it was normal for Asphalt to check up on him regarding R-Spot.

“Give me the phone,” Sungmin sat up, reaching out for the phone, which Hunter handed over silently.

 

 

“Hyung, you want to speak to me?” Sungmin greeted.

“Sungmin, are you alright? I heard you were caught up in the sweep at Joker’s R-Spot.”

“I’m fine, hyung. We got away safely. Are all the R-Spot branches safe?”

“On our side, yes. Joker has his es rounded up, but he only has himself to blame. I’m not going to help him this time. Speaking about that brat, is Kibum alright?”

“Yes, he’s resting.”

“Good. Is there anything you should tell me?”  

 

Sungmin frowned at the unusual phrasing, and the image of Kyuhyun flashed past his eyes.

 

“I’ll do a check-up on our R-Spot branches tomorrow to make sure everything is fine.”

“Ginger’s already on it. Get some rest. I heard you went against a team of officers.”

“Yes, hyung. I’ll see you soon.”

“Mmh, take care, Sungmin.”

 

Sungmin clutched the phone tightly against his ear, the beeping tone repeatedly sounding. ‘I heard you went against a team of officers’, Asphalt’s words rung in his ears. Did Asphalt know Kyuhyun was there too?

 

 

“Hyung? Is everything alright?” Hunter’s voice brought him out of his daze.

“Yeah,” He handed the phone back to his underling. “I’m just tired. Is Kibum alright?”

“Kil refused to let him see you until he got some rest, so he was forced to take a nap.”

“Any wounds?”

“Just some bruises. Y looked at him already.”

“You?”

“I’m fine, hyung.”

Sungmin’s eyes fell on the scratches on Hunter’s arm. “Get those disinfected and—”

 

A sudden pain on his thigh sent Sungmin hissing.

 

“Sorry, hyung,” Y muttered without looking up.

Sensing the unhappy vibes from Y, Sungmin sighed, sending Hunter out of the room with a dismissing wave.

 

 

“Y.”

“Yes, hyung?” Y tucked the end of the bandage in, throwing the used materials into the disposal bag.

“Yongjun,” Sungmin grabbed his underling’s wrist, stopping his movements. “Look at me.”

Y looked up, staring into his eyes with a hostile gaze.

 

“Are you angry with me?”

Y snorted. “You’re my superior. I don’t have the rights to be angry with you or intervene in your actions.”

Sungmin sighed. “This is about Kyuhyun, isn’t it?”

 

Y’s face hardened at the mention of the officer, pulling his wrist away.

 

“I know you have my interests at heart, but there’s no point in killing him, okay? And we were in a dangerous situation just now; the police could come out any moment.”

“We could have taken him onto the car.”

“Yongjun!”

“Hyung, I’m not angry with you for choosing to let him go. I know it’s stupid to kill a CID officer and set the rest of his team on us. I’m angry because you don’t bother to take care of yourself and that you hide things from us!”

Sungmin’s frown deepened at Y’s outburst. “I hide things from you all?”

 

Sure, he had hidden secrets from everyone, but the only thing he hid from his underlings, was his undercover identity. He wanted to feel hurt at being wronged, but yet, all he felt was guilt.

 

“You still like that damn officer, don’t you?”

 

Y spoke with such conviction that Sungmin found himself unable to retort. He looked away, staring blankly at his bedsheets.

 

“Hyung, you can’t!” Y exclaimed exasperatedly, gesturing at his bandaged thigh. “Wasn’t this wound enough?”

“I can’t help it! Not when he keeps apologizing to me with those eyes filled with guilt as though he’s begging for my forgiveness!” Sungmin clutched his u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter