Ambush

The Dauntless Façade
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sungmin walked out of the police headquarters with Hunter behind him. The sky was already dark. He spotted his maroon car waiting by the road.

“Everything alright, hyung?” Ryeowook asked as Sungmin got into the car.

Zaf grinned at him through the front mirror. “Dauntless hyung, Hunter hyung.”

Hunter nodded as he climbed into the front seat, prompting Zaf to start the car engine.

 

Sungmin could feel Ryeowook’s concerned eyes on him. He decided that it would be best to respond to the unanswered question.

“Fine. They have no evidence.”

“Asphalt hyung wants us at Typical’s R-Spot now. Reward party for not getting caught with evidence despite losing the shipment, although…” Ryeowook left his sentence hanging, but Sungmin knew what he was going to say. Asphalt just wanted to teach Joker a lesson.

Sungmin hummed in response.

Ryeowook was still watching him. As predicted, Ryeowook must have heard about the gunshot he fired. Sungmin wasn’t sure if any of his underlings saw him, but it shouldn’t be surprising if they did.

“Stop staring at me.” Sungmin folded his arms. “Just say what is on your mind.”

“Vither said… you fired a shot.” Ryeowook said, his wary gaze still on Sungmin.

 

Sungmin decided that there was no reason to hide it from his underlings. If Ryeowook already knew the truth, hiding it would just make everything more suspicious and translate to him not trusting his underlings.

“I did it to save a life.” Sungmin said while looking out of the window.

“That officer’s life?” There was a tinge of challenge in Ryeowook’s voice.

“I would do it no matter who the person was.” Sungmin retaliated, keeping his voice calm. Denying it angrily would just make Ryeowook more convinced that it was because the person was Kyuhyun.

“A superior in a gang saving a life?” Ryeowook sneered.

“I saved yours!” Sungmin whipped his head towards Ryeowook, glaring at his Lezolt. The hurt expression from Ryeowook almost made him regret his words. At least it would keep Ryeowook’s mouth shut for the rest of the ride. Sungmin figured he would apologize in some way later. He knew Ryeowook had always been grateful to him, but flaunting the fact that he was Ryeowook’s life savior just sounded like Shut up, you owe your worthless life to me.

 

 

 

~---~

 

 

 

Sungmin scouted the surroundings. Hunter, Y and his Ephines were engaged in their own small conversations at one big table, accompanied by alcohol and snacks. Jet was chatting happily with two bar girls seated beside him. That guy may not like forced ion, but which straight guy would resist pretty girls?

Finishing his second cocktail, Sungmin felt enough alcohol running through his veins to give him the courage for apologies. Ignoring the greetings from Joker’s underlings, Sungmin trudged from the bar counter to the furthest table, where Ryeowook was sulking on his own.

He set the cocktail he had ordered for Ryeowook on the table, announcing his presence to the Lezolt who was occupied with his phone. Ryeowook threw a glance at him, but went back to his phone.

 

“Wook.” Sungmin called softly. “Wook, look at me.”

Ryeowook threw his phone to the table and turned to Sungmin. He couldn’t defy orders.

“I’m sorry… about what I said in the car.” Sungmin said, half-slurring his words due to the alcohol.

“You didn’t say anything wrong.” Ryeowook replied hostilely.

Sungmin frowned. Ryeowook was taking things badly with his sensitive personality.

“I shouldn’t have said that. I know you are just concerned about me. I… didn’t want to talk about it with Zaf around.” It wasn’t an excuse he just made up. Sungmin didn’t want the Ephines to know.

 

Seeing Ryeowook’s expression soften, Sungmin latched himself to Ryeowook’s side. “Wookie~ Forgive me~” Sungmin whined, ignoring whatever image that he needed to keep up. They were in a secluded corner of the bar and the music and noise were way too loud for anyone to hear him. The cocktails helped.

He tackled Ryeowook with tickles, making the Lezolt giggle. “I give up I give up, hyung! Stop it!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter