My Refuge And My Fortress

Angel Ambiance

Suho woke up to hot rays of sunlight on his face and the delicious smell of pancakes in his nostrils. He sleepily rubbed his eyes and slowly dragged himself out of bed.

 

When he came downstairs, he saw Jongdae dressed in an apron and had a spatula in one hand, flipping pancakes. Jongdae must not of heard him come down, for he continued flipping the pancakes. He began singing a ballad and Suho's heart did little flips in his chest.

 

Jongdae's curly bed hair was sticking out in puffs on his head, but it only added to his cuteness. I'm totally screwed, Suho thought.

 

Suho coughed to let Jongdae know he was there and Jongdae turned around and smiled brightly.

 

"Good morning, sleepy head! I hope you don't mind that I carried you to bed. You looked so peaceful, so I didn't want to wake you."

 

Suho blushed and looked down at his wiggling toes. He was actually half asleep when Jongdae carried him to bed. He hoped that he would have layed in bed with him for a while, but it probably would’ve been too sudden. Suho tried to convince himself that he wasn’t craving Jongdae’s touch; that he just wanted his body heat. The room was cold after all.

 

“Oh, no. I didn’t m-mind; it was very s-sweet of you to do that. Thank you.” Suho stammered.

 

While he was speaking, he didn’t dare look at Jongdae’s face, but if he would have he would’ve seen him smiling and blushing himself.

 

Jongdae placed the pancakes onto two expensive china plates. Suho laughed to himself, who eats pancakes on china? Apparently Jongdae did, and now, Suho did as well. His house was well decorated, and very extravagant. Suho guessed that’s a perk of being a part of the council.

 

Suho almost forgot about his revenge and even Baekhyun. When he was with Jongdae all his problems seemed to slip away and all he thought of was Jongdae. Jongdae’s smile with the cute corners that turn upward. Jongdae’s laugh that seemed like Suho’s sunshine. Jongdae’s voice that lulled him into a peaceful sleep. Jongdae, Jongdae, Jongdae.

 

Even though Suho almost forgot about his past around Jongdae, it was still a very persistent thought in his mind. The pain of losing Baekhyun still caused a brick-like weight in Suho’s heart. And avenging his death was a raging desire.

 

“Will you go somewhere with me today?” Jongdae asked.

 

Suho paused mid-bite and sat down his pancake and syrup coated fork. “I’d love to. Where are we going?”

 

“That’s a surprise, Suho. But I’m sure you’ll enjoy it.” Jongdae replied with a smug smile.

 

~~~

 

Suho walked alongside Jongdae, nearing the beach. Jongdae never told him where they were going, but Suho could smell the sea salt and hear the waves crashing alongside the shore. Suho wanted to intertwine his fingers with Jongdae’s. Their hands were so close, that they would occasionally brush and both angels would feel a jolt of electricity running through them. Once they arrived, they sat on a rock that was close enough to the ocean, but not too close to where they’d get wet.

 

“I’ve always loved the beach. It’s a calming, relaxing place for me. When I was a human, I grew up in a beach home. I was a marine biologist; being alongside the ocean everyday made me happy. When I first became an angel, I was scared and lost. I always came here to remind myself of home and that helped me find my way. So that’s why I brought you here, I thought maybe you’re just as scared and lost as I was.” Jongdae admitted.

 

Suho’s heart grew inside his chest. Jongdae was such a loving angel; he was an angel in every sense of the word. His heart shriveled back up when he realized he has been lying to Jongdae. He had been hurting Jongdae by killing his friend in the council.

 

“Thank you, it means a lot to me for you to bring me to such a special place to you. But are you okay, Jongdae? You just lost a dear friend. You must be hurting.” Suho inquired.

 

Jongdae nodded his head slowly and looked down at the waves rising then falling back onto the beach. His eyes started to dampen and Suho felt a pang of guilt. He hesitantly put his hand over Jongdae’s. His whole body tensed then relaxed into Suho’s touch. He let out a breath he didn’t realize he was holding in.

 

They sat like that for a while, Suho rubbing circles onto Jongdae’s knuckle and Jongdae silently crying over the loss of his friend. Suho suddenly had an idea and stood up, pulling Jongdae with him.  

 

“Minseok told me you like watching the humans. Why don’t we go do that? I enjoy doing it too, and maybe it’ll get your mind off of things!”

 

Suho didn’t give Jongdae a chance to answer, for he held his hand and plunged down to earth. They landed atop a large skyscraper. They were close enough to the humans to see them, hear their conversations, and smell the different aromas, but they weren’t close enough to be seen themselves.

 

For a few moments they sat there silently observing the humans until Suho realized they were still holding hands. His cheeks began to burn and he slowly slipped his hand away from Jongdae's. Jongdae's face fell and awkwardly put his hand by his side.

 

Suho cleared his throat and looked down at the humans once again.

 

"I've always only observed the humans as an angel. I've never had a conversation with one, I've just heard theirs. I want to get to know one of them. I have never even had a relationship with any human. I was always alone" Jongdae admitted.

 

Suho smiled to himself, remembering all the late night talks himself and Baekhyun had.

 

"I once was in a relationship with a human." Suho stated.

 

Jongdae's mouth dropped in surprise and motioned for him to continue.

 

Suho looked the other way, cursing himself for letting that slip. He shrugged and lied, “I was with him while I was still a human. I suppose I remember it well since I just recently became an angel.”

 

Suho pursed his lips and looked down, hoping Jongdae would take the hint that he didn’t want to talk about it anymore. He felt bad for lying to Jongdae, once again. But if he told the truth, Jongdae might find out who he really was. He didn’t want that to happen, for it would ruin his revenge, but he also didn’t want to disappoint him either.

 

Jongdae caught on that it was a sensitive topic and changed the subject. “So what good deeds did you do while you were a human in order to become an angel?”

 

Suho remembered well his human days before he became an angel. “I was a doctor. I saved many lives, so I suppose that’s why. And how did you become an angel?” Suho asked.

 

“I was coming home from the marina one day and I saw a daughter of one of the workers peering over a cliff, into the ocean. She was looking at a few dolphins when her leg slipped. She fell off onto a ledge on the side of the cliff. I began hastily climbing down, desperate to rescue her. She was crying and screaming and I still remember the terrible sounds. As I was climbing down, I slipped myself. I fell onto the same ledge, but I landed on a rock and was killed immediately. Luckily, I had my cell phone and she called someone to rescue her. She lived because of me, and that’s why I’m an angel.”

 

Suho felt tears in his eyes because of the tragic story. He quickly wiped them away, not wanting Jongdae to see him like this. He hasn’t cried since he was cast down from heaven. Hell changed him, but maybe heaven is changing him once again.

 

Jongdae nudged closer and wrapped his arms around Suho. He really could get used to the secure feeling of Jongdae’s embrace.

 

“Shh don’t cry, Suho. Please don’t cry, I’m okay now. She lived a long life shh.”


Jongdae was touched at how sensitive Suho was. The tears falling on his cheeks and the moonlight shining down on him made him appear even more beautiful. Jongdae couldn’t help himself when he pecked Suho’s cheek.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Sorry I took a while to update! From now on it should be updated once a week by Sunday or on Sunday. c: This chapter is just a bunch of fluffiness, but I hope you enjoyed it.