Chapter: Ten!

Game: Over!

The days were quite lonely.  I tried to steer clear of Jungsu but that was very difficult regarding the limited space within the cozy cottage.  I tried only a few more times to step outside and admire the views or the beautiful lake but felt deeply paranoid that someone was watching and couldn't bring myself to enjoy the moments spent outside.  The atmosphere inside was heavy and lingered thickly in the air.

I woke up and groaned.  My bones felt stiff from sleeping on the cold floor for three nights and I reached to pull the blanket over my head.  But my blanket wasn't there.  I sat up and stared down at myself.  Clanking sounds were heard from the kitchen and I curiously hopped up from the floor.  Reaching for the closest object, I gripped a pen and made my way towards the suddenly fearful room.

"What on Earth are you doing?"  Jungsu queried from behind me and I screamed so loudly.  I spun around and clutched my hand to my chest, feeling my heart beat so strongly.

"I...  I heard sounds...  from the kitchen...  it scared me," I breathed, shaken.  Suddenly a rush of colour filled my cheeks as I noticed the way Jungsu was looking at me.  His eyebrows were arched and his face bore an expression one might wear while looking at a disapproving event. 

"It's the cleaner.  Stop being such a baby."

With that he collected his mobile phone from his back pocket and headed outside.  I stared bewildered at his departing figure before carrying myself into the kitchen.  I flicked the switch to turn on the kettle.  Smiling at the cleaner I bowed, "Welcome, my name is K- Park Hyojin."  The lady stared back at me before muttering something under her breath and then turning back to the dishes in the sink.  I pointed to the cups on the rack, "Would you like a cup of tea?  We can talk a little and get to know eachother if you'd like?"

"Why would someone like you be interested in getting to know someone like me?  You can stay on your high horse.  You don't need to belittle yourself to impress your ice King.  He doesn't feel interest in kindness.  You won't get anywhere with this approach, little girl."

My mouth opened, but I couldn't find any words to follow my thoughts.  What was this lady's problem?  I felt hurt and upset, but a little piece of me even felt anger...  Why would I go out of my way to impress Jungsu?  Hastily pouring the tea into my cup, I scuttled out of the suffocating room as quickly as possible.  The place was my dream resort.  Yet where was the sanctuary I had dreamt of?

Sitting on the couch, I took out a roll of wool and continued my knitting.  I couldn't knit very well at all but I enjoyed it and it helped relieve a lot of stress also.  I hardly noticed the hours pass until Jungsu came back inside with blood trickling down the corner of his mouth.

"Omo, what happened?  Are you alright?  Should I call someone!?"  Panic welled up inside me and I scrambled to grasp my mobile phone when Jungsu's hand clamped around my wrist.  My eyes dragged up to meet his.  That's when the smell of alcohol hit me.  Where would he have gotten such a drink?  As far as I was aware, I couldn't see any liquor stores or pubs or anything of the sort on our journey here.

"Please don't call anyone."

My heart lurched.

I stared at his eyes.  They were filled with so much despair.  Unable to breathe, I gulped down a breath before forcing out: "Jungsu, I...  What happened?"

He limped into the kitchen and sat at the small table.  A distant part of my mind wondered when the cleaner lady had left but I hardly took notice of her absence as my full concentration was set on Jungsu.  I sat on the chair beside his after filling a bowl with warm water and taking a cloth rag out of a drawer.  The corner of his lip was beginning to swell as the blood continued to trickle down.  Everything reminded me of that night.  The night on the street.  It was too much, but I couldn't turn away.  Cautiously, I dipped the rag in the warm water and brought it up to clean his wound.

His eyes closed and he sighed.  His hand arose and his fingers touched the back of my hand gently while I held the cloth against his lip and cheek.  Startled, once I regained control over my muscles and my mind, I tried to take my hand away but his fingers locked around it in a vice-like grip and the force was too much for me to pull away.  Blood flooded to my cheeks and as I felt my skin reddening, I twisted my head to the side.  Away from his face.  Away from his being.  Away from his beauty.

Not again.

But then I felt his finger curl under my chin and pull my head to look at him.  His eyes.  They were so sincere, so genuine.  They were so filled with pain and yearning and I couldn't possibly imagine what a beautiful man with the world's money in his pocket could possible long for that he couldn't get within a click of his fingers.

"Why are you so pretty?  I really wanted to be with her and you ruined it.  So why would I find you so pretty?"

A tear escaped my eye.  This was way too much.  I couldn't bare it.  He was so sad.  His eyes were desperate and I felt uncomfortable being imprisoned in their gaze.  My hand was locked onto his cheek since the cloth dropped and left me touching his skin.  His skin was warm yet I could feel each individual goose bump signifying that he felt otherwise.  That was probably an effect of the alcohol though.

"I'm not sure what you're talking about, Jungsu-ssi."

"Will you stop speaking like that!?  You shouldn't be so polite.  You're horrible and captivating.  You're just like all of those disgusting girls only you're worse because you act so innocent!"

My tears were now streaming and I struggled vigorously to rip my hand from his hold.  His fingertips traced one of my tear drops on my cheek and I let out a quiet sob.  Why was I letting him control my emotions like this?  "Y...  You're so beautiful...  and I hate it..."

Jungsu stood up.  He let go of my hand but his eyes never once left me and I still very much felt suffocated.  "Come with me to the lake.  If you're going to be my wife you should act more like one."  He sauntered towards the front door and my heart lurched within my ribcage.  I thought about the photographer though and I couldn't help the reminder of pain that rippled through me that day.

"Ju...  Jungsu-ssi, I...  Tha...  I ca...  can't..." I forced the words out but by that point I knew my attempts would be useless.  His eyes bore holes right through me and it wasn't long until I was scuttling towards him, my head low and my fingers fidgeting nervously with each other.  He stepped out onto the dock and I was quick to follow.  We sat down on the wooden decking.  The night was so calm.  The water was black but I could feel the warmth of it's liquid welcoming my feet.  The sounds of the night were slowly coming to life and when I finally allowed my head to rise, I was deeply surprised by what I could see.  Water candles floated at random locations among the sea.  It must've took hours of planning and setting up.  I thought back to how Jungsu left early in the morning and how I hardly saw him all day.  The candles were shaped as lotus flowers and their soft glow accentuated the moon light.  I had never seen such a beautiful thing in my life.

"Do you like it?"

"I..." I couldn't find words.  I tore my eyes from the setting and looked at Jungsu's face.  He was already staring at me.  Observing my reaction.  Looking for what, I had no idea.  But I couldn't hide my gratitude.  My lip quivered and I struggled to hold back my tears, but I choked out a pitiful, "Thank you," and was glad to see Jungsu smile.  It wasn't like the smiles he had shown everyone else.  It wasn't like the fakeness at the wedding ceremony.  It was genuine.  It was sincere.

Jungsu took my hand and placed it against his chest.  I felt his heart thump and my breath caught in my throat.  I stared at my hand on his chest and once again, I struggled to find words.

"I hate these feelings.  I hate how I feel when you're around.  It makes me so angry.  But I guess that isn't entirely your fault."  His smile changed.  His lips still curved, but there was an aura of pain that surrounded him and I felt his heartbeat quicken.

"I felt so much pain when Umma told me about the arrangement.  I felt afraid and unloved.  I had always tried to be a good daughter, so I wondered why Appa would sell me away and I also wondered why Umma was so happy.  Why wouldn't they mourn the loss of their daughter?  Wouldn't the miss me?  You showed me a cold shoulder and I dreaded married life beyond anything.  Yet on the few occasions that you showed me kindness, my blood warms and my heart jumps.  I feel very confused, Park Jungsu-ssi," I smiled sadly but hoped that the honesty would not be used against me at a later date.

Jungsu placed his hand on my hair.  He twirled one strand in his fingers but his other hand kept my hand locked against his chest still.  I looked down while he my hair, afraid he'd see my cheeks turn deep red with his closeness.  It was only within seconds however that I felt something warm against my lips and I realised that Jungsu was kissing me.  Park Jungsu.  The ice king of the foreign land.  The man who had made my future bleak.  The man who had made me cry and the man who had stolen my heart.

Warmth spread throughout me and when I felt his arms embrace me and pull me closer, I was afraid that I might faint.  I felt dampness fall upon my cheeks.  Was he crying?  His lips continued to caress mine and I held him as closely as he'd let me, praying that he would remain sentimental for at least a short while.

I loved him so much.

--

[A/N: Annyeong-haseyo~ (๑॔˃̶ॢ◟◞ ˂̶ॢ๑॓)♡

I'm so, so, so sorry for the late update - I meant to post a blog saying that I would be unable to upload the new chapter but I couldn't find the time.  It's not that I discarded it on purpose, it's that I had so many exams this week and I had to spend so much time studying that by the time I was finished studying every night I'd be so exhausted and practically knock out.  ♡´͈ॢ ᵌˋ͈ॢꉧ´͈ॢᵋ ˋ͈ॢ♡

I hope this chapter is alright, I'm very sorry if anyone disapproves - please do let me know your opinions.  I'd love to hear what you all have to say.  I try to connect with as many of my readers as possible but without a subscription/comment it's difficult to contact anyone so please don't read silently.  I'd love to get to know my readers.  ʚ♡⃛ɞ(ू•ᴗ•ू❁) 

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far and I look forward to updating again on Sunday!  I promise I'll post the next chapter on time, please forgive me.  ♡(㋭ ਊ ㋲)♡

Thank you so much for your continued support, it really means so much to me~ (๑╹ڡ╹)╭ ~ ♡

Love and light,

-Kang Hyekyo~ °₊·ˈ∗♡( ˃̶᷇ ‧̫ ˂̶᷆ )♡∗ˈ‧₊° ]