Chapter 8

Pictures of You

Nightfall had completely taken over the skies, as the moon crept to claim its placement in the between the stars. The bright xenon white light blazes through neighborhood as the little Mini Cooper led the silver bullet behind it through the quiet suburban-esque roads.

Since the moment they passed the outer gates, Hyomin could sense that this neighborhood was rather nice and lovely. They passed several large houses before coming up to the townhomes and condos. Sunny stayed in a simple one story townhome/condo, no yard or garage even; just a double driveway off to the side of the house.

Sunny parked on the driveway behind Tiffany’s Audi, and she got out pointing to Hyomin to pull up behind the Acura. Sunny opened her rear hatch to grab all the bags she obtained from the splurges of the day. Sunny waited for Hyomin. She skipped her way to the little girl and walked with her to the front door.

“Hey I’m home,” Sunny announced. “Everyone, remember Hyomin?”

Hyunah came across the house and hugged Sunny and told her she missed her all day. After she let go of Sunny’s embrace she welcomed the other unnie with a hug, but of course her moment Hyomin was much shorter but in no way less sincere. Hyunah began to chat with Hyomin in Korean and asking her about her day.

“English Hyunah!” Sunny said walking and putting the bags down in the living room. Hyunah made a whiny face but honored the instructions given and started to speak English.

“Now Sunny, I know that’s not the new dress code for Academy. Is that what you’re supposed to wear for work?” Jessica remarked upon seeing Sunny.

“Oh I know. I bought this today after I got off. Hyomin works at Express, so I did a little of shopping.” Sunny answered.

“Does she really?” Tiffany, the most hardcore shopper of the house, asked in a bit of curious excitement.

“Yes baby, she really does,” Sunny answered giving Tiffany a backhug. Tiffany welcomed the brief moment of affection as a break from her work in the kitchen, and greeted Sunny. “I got you all something too; I’ll show you after dinner.”

Jessica was at the couch in the living room with Hyunah and Hyomin and introduced herself.

“Oh yes, I remember. I hear many wonderful things about you. How are you?” Hyomin responded.

“I’m doing well. You hear things about me? What does Sunny say?”

“Oh, nothing bad or anything. She’s very complimenting of you. You have a great admirer and friend,” Hyomin said in defense.

“Oh? Sunny!? What have you been telling our dear Hyomin about me?” Jessica cried out in question.

“Huh?” Sunny quipped and popped up from the kitchen with a wooden spoon in . “Nothing bad, I promise!”

“Why are you helping Tiffany? Are you even helping? You should be entertaining your guest. Get your in here!” Jessica said.

Sunny came out of the kitchen to join them in the living room, she smiled and wave. Just as Sunny sat down, Tiffany was setting the table and called them to dinner. They all came to the table to find a rather lovely meal waiting for them; Baked lemon basil salmon with a creamy chicken and shrimp pasta. She even made desert that was stored in the fridge.

“Wow Tiff, you really outdid yourself,” Jessica said taking her seat. Jessica was really the only one who called Tiffany ‘Tiff’ or ‘Tiffy’ as a shortening of the name, the other girls would call Tiffany ‘Fany’. The reason was never really apparent why that was.

“Well I owed you guys for all the help with the cupcakes and cookies, and I’ve been behind in the dinner department for a while,” Tiffany responded with a smile.

“Fany, what is this?” Sunny asked.

“Baked lemon basil salmon; It’s fish, you’ll like it, and just in-case that’s not enough meat, there is chicken in the pasta for you,” Tiffany answered.

“So Hyomin, what do you do? Sunny has mentioned you go to the same school as us,” Tiffany politely started.

“Well I am a junior, studying media and production design, and as Sunny said I work at Express,” Hyomin answered cutting through the salmon.

“Sounds exciting, are you enjoying it?” Tiffany asked.

“I have a lot of fun with it, I’m in the art building and the technology building constantly. It’s nice and the projects are usually fun. I am making pretty good grades too, so it’s not bad.” Hyomin answered.

“Do you live alone?” Jessica asked.

“I live with 2 other roommates. They’re Korean too. One just graduated from school and has started working. The other is a student like me. I knew them both from Korea,” Hyomin again answered.

“Why do they call it roommates if you share a house? You don’t really share the room? That’s just odd,” Hyunah added in a random thought. It caused laughter from the whole table.

“How long have you been in America Hyomin?” Hyunah asked. “I just got here.”

“I have been here just a little over 3 years. I finished high school here and got my green card from my uncle and aunt here. They’re American citizens and my cousin is a student at the US Naval Academy. So they helped me out and sponsored my green card, but my parents handled the expenses of my living. So I wasn’t much of a burden on my uncle and aunt, with the exception that I lived with them and had them as my guardian while I was going to school.”

“That’s pretty awesome. Your cousin is at the Naval Academy, must be a good kid. What year is he,” Tiffany asked.

“She’s in her last year of school. It’s pretty amazing.” Hyomin continued.

The dinner finished with no complications. They all enjoyed the fruit tart that Tiffany made. Hyomin had to go home before her friends would start to worry. Sunny had walked her out and came back in the house with Jessica waiting at the door for her.

“Nice friend you have there?” Jessica remarked.

“Why thank you. She’s pretty cool huh?” Sunny responded with a smile.

“Your new clothes eh? Looking pretty cute, may I have a look at you?” Jessica said offering a hand to Sunny.  Sunny twirled for Jessica with a laugh. “Super cute, that totally suits you. So what did you get us?”

In the living room Sunny shared the contents of her shopping expedition. She had shirts for Tiffany and Hyunah, and shorts for Jessica. Everyone was excited to have new stuff, but the banter died down a bit as everyone prepared for bed. Hyunah and Tiffany both were already using the shower. Jessica and Sunny both were on the couch watching TV.

Jessica had learned a lot today about Sunny’s friend today. Hyomin was single, worked at Express, a cousin in a military college and had a 3.25 GPA. Hyomin just bought a Kia Soul, and met Sunny at the Wonder Girls concert, but talked during the cellphone return. She seem like a normal girl; bright, pretty and cute to boot. She had a good height over them. She loved to take pictures, she had a barely noticeable accent (Jessica being fluent in both Korean and English, could detect the accent while Sunny and Hyunah would be oblivious to it), and her accent came out in moments of over excitement when she spoke too quickly.

Hyomin at all didn’t seem creepy at all, but then again creepy people usually can hide it well. The two girls barely knew each other a week and already she’s been invited over. Jessica counted four days since they met, since the concert was four days ago, and Sunny and Hyomin have seen each other each day since. In all honesty Jessica had been worried about Sunny’s ability to make friends when she first arrived years ago but Sunny had proven to be rather adaptive. Still, Hyomin’s entrance was rather quick, seemingly easy. Jessica was always bothered when things were ‘too easy’; she always felt there was a trick or something she’d missed.

“But maybe they’re just meant to be friends. Serendipity is special like that. No that’s still weird. Four days in a roll? That’s a little strange right? I mean Tiff and I hit it off really well. Why would I care though? I should be happy for Sunny; Hyomin seems sweet and a good girl. Tiff and I can’t always be there for her, so it’s good she has others,” Jessica monologue in her head, however her inner thoughts were cut off when Sunny pinched her cheek.

“Jessi, Fany said the shower is free for you to use. Stop day dreaming, the TV is not meant to hypnotize, it’s meant for fun... or maybe learning,” Sunny said.

Jessica responded with an ‘oh’ and ‘thanks’ and got up to the shower. Jessica’s phone was still on the coffee table and started to ring, Sunny was generous enough to pick it up.

“Hello Yuri! Oh, she’s in the shower right now? Did you want me to tell her to call you back? If it’s important I can get her. No it’s no problem, I’m sure she’d love to hear from you.” Sunny answered, and made her way to the JeTi bathroom. Sunny suspected that the door wouldn’t be locked so she opened it and walked in. “Hey Jessi, Yuri’s on the phone for you. Would you like to say hi to her?”

“AHHHHHHHH! What are you doing?!?! I’m in the shower! Sunny!!!!” Jessica shrieked in shock.

“I’m sorry Yuri, I don’t think Jessica likes to talk on the phone while being . She does work tomorrow. I don’t know. She’s not so much surprised anymore. She has that look that says she’s gonna hurt me now. Okay, bye.” Sunny hung up the phone and smiled off to Jessica. “She said it wasn’t important and she’ll call back later.”

Sunny smiled and walked out closing the door behind her. She ran to her room to retrieved her inflatable sword, she knew Jessica would retaliate with some sort of violence and should best be ready to defend herself. It was much to Sunny’s surprise when Jessica let it slide and just asked for her phone. Sunny was sure she’d be attack. Sunny shrugged and proceeded for her nightly shower. Jessica took her phone and went to her room, and called Yuri.

“Hey, I’m sorry I missed your call. Shower, but you already knew that huh? We just had a chilled evening. Tiffany made us a very nice dinner. Yeah, it was very well deserved and about time. Sunny had her friend over too. Who? Uh, Hyomin, the girl she met at the Wonder Girls concert. Yeah, she’s a nice girl. What? Sunny’s not cheating on me. What is with you thinking Sunny and I are something? You know we have separate rooms. You’re always so horrid in these jokes Yuri. I have nothing to tease you with. Geez. Well, I get off work tomorrow at five, Sunny and Hyunah were going to go with me to the gym as well though. It’s no big deal, you could just meet us there and join us. She has kind of her own workout she does. I think Tiffany is working late, yeah...I see...It’d be cool, like to see if you can keep up this time. Haha...” Jessica said. She continued her conversation until Tiffany barged in.

“Jessi, can we talk. I mean we can... yes, but I mean, I need to talk to you.” Tiffany asked, with a face of pleading of necessity to talk.

“Yuri, I’ll talk to you later. I’ll see you tomorrow okay? Haven a good night.” Jessica said to Yuri and hung up the phone. “Tiff, what’s up?”

“Jessi, I’m not sure what to do next. Okay remember when I made those cupcakes for Taeyeon? Of course you do. Anyways... she kissed me. She kissed me Jessi, she kissed me.”

***********

 

“I’m home!” Hyomin announced.

“Well it’s about time!” Jiyeon said. “I’m starting to think you have a secret life.”

“Me? Secret life? You know I have no such thing. I am a lowly student trying to make it in this world. So one day I can be great like Soyeon.” Hyomin remarked.

“Oh please, you lie.” Soyeon said with a sigh. “Where were you again?”

“Sunny’s house, she invited me for dinner. We saw each other after work.” Hyomin answered sending a text to Sunny to let her know she’d had arrived home safely.

“Wait? What?!?! Unnie! You had a date with a girl and then went to her house?! You’re dating a girl now?! Are you?! Huh?” Jiyeon exploded in question.

“You always assume the worst! What is wrong with you? I come home, you haven’t seen me all day, and the first thing that happens is you question me about my dating. Gosh.” Hyomin proclaimed.

“She’s always crazy, It’s nice that you are home Hyomin. Otherwise she would drive me nuts. She asked me when I’m gonna bring a husband home.” Soyeon said flipping through papers for work, packing things up into her briefcase.

“Unnie, this is serious! I think Hyomin is a complete failure in the world of relationships and now she will try for girls. I think she may need help.” Jiyeon cried.

“Jiyeon, you’re not exactly a pro with dating either, what makes you qualified to judge her?” Soyeon responded.

“Soyeon loves me, see. Wait, wrong answer...... it makes it sound like I am dating her, and I’m not. But Soyeon loves me, and doesn’t think I’m such a failure.”

“Unnie, don’t take her side!” Jiyeon pleaded.

“There are no sides to take! I just went with a friend for dinner. I can have friends!” Hyomin said with a hint of vexation.

*************

Four days had past, without incident and with relative ease. School would be starting this week and the captive furies of restless summer boredom would be replaced with the tenacious studying (or partying) of young adults. Hyunah would be going to campus today for freshmen orientation, and going through another tour of campus and seeing advisors and going through other things for school. Though her unnies had taken care of her, the school still had a policy on international students to have them attend orientation and make sure that everything is in order for them.

“Just smile, be polite, and don’t make any weird faces,” Tiffany said to Hyunah.

“If a boy is bothering you and won’t you leave you alone, just yell out . Okay? . It will make him runaway.” Jessica said with firm face.

“Jessi! Don’t tell her that! You’ll be fine, just be yourself and follow the person with the school name tag.” Sunny said.

“Okay, you’ll be well. But seriously, if you think a boy is bothering you, or tries to attack you. Just kick him between the legs okay?” Jessica said giving Hyunah a hug.

“Okay unnie, I will.” Hyunah said as she went with Tiffany to campus.

Jessica and Sunny both had to work, and Tiffany’s shift started much later than the other girls so she volunteered to take Hyunah to campus. Sunny would pick her up since Tiffany would work into the evening. Tiffany dropped Hyunah at the main building of campus and waved her ‘goodbye’ and drove off leaving Hyunah in a sea of new students.

It was a cloudless day and the heat was beyond anything Hyunah had naturally been used to. Temperatures in the low 90s was awfully hot considering the girl was used to the more temperate climate of Korea. She wanted to get indoors quickly and find the international students orientation and avoid the heat, but even indoors with the influx of human bodies, there was very little difference in temperature compared to outside.

She found her group and signed in and was given her little sticky name tag, however in her confusion, or maybe it was because she wasn’t used to writing her name in English, she accidentally spelled her name in Korean characters and had to ask for another blank tag before starting her introduction to the American college life.

****************

“Hey! Ugly! Wake up! Let’s get a move on it!” Jiyeon said kicking Hyomin.

Hyomin had been known to oversleep on days that she didn’t work or have class, but Jiyeon wanted, or rather needed the car and services of its owner. Jiyeon went to get a spray bottle of water and squirted water onto Hyomin’s face. This proved rather successful.

“HEY!!!” Hyomin yelled. She rose to find the younger girl armed and unafraid.

“It is nearly 10, get your out of bed and let’s get a move on.” Jiyeon said in a firm voice.

Reluctantly she got out of bed and got dressed and told Jiyeon she was ready. However after stepping outside she decided she wanted to change out of her jeans into something more summer friendly.

“Ok, I’m ready for real this time. Okay let’s go, but coffee first?” Hyomin proclaimed.

After their coffee break they proceeded to the MicroCenter electronics store. Jiyeon had been itching for a new laptop. She would also get some other various things for school. Scrolling through external hard drives she saw a familiar tiny girl. She didn’t want to seem like a creeper so she pulled out her phone. She dialed a number to see if the girl would answer.

“Sunny?” Hyomin asked and saw that the girl had answered the phone. “Oh Sunny, hang on.”

Hyomin crept up behind Sunny and tapped her on the shoulder. Sunny turned and saw Hyomin. She gave a short laugh and hung up her phone.

“Hyomin, what are you doing? Stalking me again?” Sunny asked.

“What no?! Of course not,” Hyomin answered and saw some people looking at them. “Really, we’re friends, I’m not stalking her.”

“What are you doing here? What are you getting?” Sunny asked.

“Jiyeon wants a new computer, so we’re here. Plus we can get some other stuff cheap. You know,” Hyomin answered noticing a list in Sunny’s hand. Sunny noticed Hyomin had glanced at the list.

“Oh, I decided to build a new computer. I had a friend help me make a list of essentials. So here I am. Hehe. Where did you leave Jiyeon?”

“You can build a computer?! I didn’t know you knew how to do that. Jiyeon is probably looking over at the laptops still.” Hyomin said.

“I’m nearly done, want to help me get a case?”  Sunny asked with a smile.

“What? What’s a case? Like the computer itself. The empty computers?” Hyomin asked.

“Yes Hyomin, the empty boxes, the computer case. I still need one,” Sunny and Hyomin rowed  the cart down the aisle of computer cases and picked one that they thought looked the ‘coolest’.

“I really should get back to Jiyeon huh? Who knows what sort of trouble she may have gotten into.” Hyomin said.

Sunny said she’d join Hyomin and they rolled to the laptops and noticed Jiyeon walking up and down the aisles of notebook computers. In retrospect, it seemed very cute as the girl looked clueless and lost as she looked at each computer. She wouldn’t allow herself to be ered by any sales pitch either, but she wanted a great quality item.

“Unnie!” Jiyeon said. “Oh, hello.”

“Hello, Jiyeon right? I’m Sunny,” Sunny said reintroducing herself to Jiyeon.

“Did you find a laptop yet?” Hyomin asked.

“No, the employee keeps dragging me along and are unhelpful right now,” she answered.

“Which ones do you like? We can look up the reviews for them,” Sunny suggested.

“We can do that huh, they have a computer we can check?” Jiyeon asked.

“Well my phone has the internet, we can use that,” Sunny said.

“Oh haha, I totally forgot about that. Unnie your friend is very helpful, we need to keep her around more often,” Jiyeon said.

The girls walked through the laptops Jiyeon had picked out and read through comparisons and reviews on Sunny’s little Android phone until finally she made a decision. The salesman printed out a paper for her; Jiyeon checked it and noticed there was an extra charge for a service plan. Jiyeon protested to the man that she didn’t ask for the service protection plan, and just wanted the computer. Hyomin said that they weren’t even asked if they wanted it. Hyomin would have made a scene but Sunny and Jiyeon stopped her together. The man apologized and gave Jiyeon a new printout and thanked her for the business.

“Can you believe how sneaky people can be?” Hyomin asked as they walked to get sleeve for the laptop.

“It just happens sometimes Hyomin. It’s okay, we fixed it.” Sunny said.

The girls went to the check out together and Hyomin noticed that it was nearly lunch time and thought it would be sensible to invite her friend to lunch.

“Sunny, would you like to go to lunch?” Hyomin asked.

“Sure, that’d be nice.” Sunny said with a full facial smile that. “Where do you have in mind?”

“Um, Jiyeon would like sushi today right? Would you like to have sushi with us?” Hyomin asked.

Sunny followed Hyomin and Jiyeon to one of their favorite sushi restaurants.

“We haven’t really taken anyone to this place yet, it’s always been kind of our little secret,” Jiyeon said to Sunny, indicating that Sunny should feel honor. Jiyeon hasn’t even taken Ji-eun to the restaurant yet.

“I’m curious Jiyeon, why aren’t you at orientation? Isn’t she a freshman too, because Hyunah is at school doing hers?” Sunny asked.

“Oh, she spent all summer in school, so she’s a freshman but already finished like a semester, or maybe more. She’s rather ambitious,” Hyomin replied. Jiyeon however was too busy to notice the compliment; she was lost in a text conversation with Ji-eun. Hyomin continued her conversation with Sunny. “I haven’t seen you in a while, you look good! Are those clothes from Express?”

“Yes! They’re from that one day I visited you after work, sorry I haven’t went to see you lately,” Sunny said apologetically.

“No reason to be sorry. Did you get the email I sent you? The photos?” Hyomin asked, hanging on for an answer.

“Oh yes, it was really pretty. The pictures came out nice. You said that wasn’t all of them.”

“Yeah, I only sent a few. I’m not quite done looking through all of them. I haven’t touched my camera in a while. Which reminds me...” Hyomin pulled a camera from her bag and asked Jiyeon to take a picture of her with Sunny.

Click. Click. Click.

They took a few more for luck and then photos of Sunny and Jiyeon, and the three together with the help of the server who brought them their sushi. They finished their lunch and stayed a little longer to chat a bit.They felt the need to go outside and take a walk to burn off their calories. This notion allowed Hyomin to go back to being a scientist. She took photos of Sunny and Jiyeon playing around on statues and park benches. Sunny’s phone got buzzed with a message.

“Unnie! I’ll be done in 30 minutes. Don’t forget to get me!” Hyunah had texted Sunny.

“Oh, I have to go and get Hyunah. Thanks for lunch!” Sunny said hugging Jiyeon and Hyomin. “Don’t be a strange, call me sometime! I missed you!”

“I know. I’ve missed you too. Maybe we’ll see each other at school. Bye!” Hyomin said.

“Maybe!” Sunny quipped and skipped off to her car.

“Your friend is very fun and very pretty. So I will not be upset that she joined our date today.” Jiyeon said to Hyomin with a straight face.

“Why thank you. I knew I could always count on you,” Hyomin said, recognizing Jiyeon’s sarcasm. “I’m so glad you like her.”

“But next time, I won’t be so forgiving and lenient. I think she is a good person. Soyeon would like her too. Next time I’d like some advance warning so maybe I can try to look prettier at least. How are cute boys suppose to see me if I’m with two other pretty girls?” Jiyeon said again with her slick sarcasm and straight face. The girl has had ample practice.

“I’m sorry. I can’t control the universe. Sunny and I just always seem to find each other,” Hyomin tried to use the same face and tone Jiyeon had used.

“Twice doesn’t constitute as always finding each other. It’s safe to say the universe does not favor you that much,” Jiyeon answered back.

“Constitute? When did you learn more words than me? What is going on?” Hyomin asked in shock.

“Um.. I’m a college student and I’m brilliant. Of course,” Jiyeon responded with an air of fake arrogance. “But seriously, if that’s the girl you insist on dating over me, you’re in trouble.”

“Why?”

“She’s prettier than you. No man will ever look at you again now.”

“Have I ever told you that you’re just like the best person ever? You’re always come complimenting and always say the kindest words to me,” Hyomin said again with sarcasm.

“I know, it can’t be help,” Jiyeon said, as they walked around the block before returning to their car.