Chapter 2

Pictures of You

Today was the day, she just knew it. She was confident and positive nothing could go wrong today, thinking to herself while cheerfully enjoying her morning cereal. How freakishly awesome the day was going to be. Hyomin was dressed, full and ready to start the day.

Hyomin was a fashionable girl; unfortunately for her she still dressed to Korean fashion standards ever since arriving to American. One thing was adamant; the girl had little shame and was confident in her appearance. She always looked cute, and one could assume that maybe only a cute Asian girl could get away wearing clothes she does. Soyeon and Jiyeon have often updated their wardrobe to meet the social norms of their surroundings; Hyomin was more or less unyielding. She did most of her shopping online, through various Korean sites. She doesn’t do it as often as she used to, her closet is well stocked enough, and at least any normal girl would be more than pleased with such an assortment of cotton, nylon and polyester.

“Ahhh!” Soyeon screamed and fell out of bed. “How many times did I tell you not to do that?!”

Hyomin more often than none sometimes would sit at the bedside of her unnie and wait for her to wake up. It often lead to reactions similar to above, and was even creepier when Hyomin convinced the young Jiyeon to join her. Hyomin just responded with the slight tilt of her head. However a pillow thrown her direction did disrupt her stare.

“Out! So I can change!” the older girl barked.

“I don’t mind, nothing I haven’t seen before”

The clever remark only resulted in the girl being tossed out the door.

“How rude” the girl remarked with a look of annoyance on her face and went to check on Jiyeon, who was already using the bathroom for morning hygiene.

“Yes today is a big day unnie. We’re all so excited” She said while finishing her routine. “I’m already excited and happy for you.”

All 3 of the girls traveled in the car to the Korean market in town to get some food. The rounds are predictable and laughable; plenty of snacks, foods and drinks. Upon completion, they went on to the next stop in their journey, Sam’s Club (or CostCo or a warehouse retailer of your choice). The excitement, if any to be had, was the trip to Sam’s was only warranted maybe twice a month. The store was epic for them.

A lot of groceries and supplies could be purchased in bulk to last them a while. It was mostly for their snacking satisfaction to buy cookies, chips and gummy candies in bulk. Of course, other items such are toiletries, towels, water were included. Soyeon was more tentative to the shopping here as she was the majority chef of the three. Their pantry was usually stocked well and had many flavors and items they normally would not have back in Korea. Particularly in part because a lot of their learn cooking, or rather experiments came from watching Food Network.

For most of their non-Asian food items, Sam’s provided it while allowing ample supply of food to re-attempt a meal if one were to manage any incidents or mishap while trying a new recipe (which was often the common rationalization for buying in bulk).

“I’ll treat!” Hyomin cheerfully said as she ran past the checkout line to the food court.

This was one of the other excitements of Sam’s club. The dollar foot long hot dogs and churros. They didn’t even know what the hell a churro was until coming to Sam’s club. In fact, they’re still not sure what’s in the churro, but they know it tastes really yummy and is just a dollar. Three hot dogs and three churros. Hyomin treated. It was gonna be a good day for her, she just knew it.

They returned to their place to put up their groceries. Hyomin was still carrying some excitement, because they wouldn’t be done for the day, at least not yet.

“Let’s take a break before we go out again okay? Just a nap, look Jiyeon is already tired.” Soyeon implored with Hyomin.

“Okay, just a quick break.” Hyomin accepted. While the two other were taking a break she got on the computer to do a bit of surfing and research. When the other woke back up about half minute later, they continue their journey to the car dealership. It was Hyomin’s day to buy a new car!

Until this time, they had just used the one car, Soyeon’s car, but things are slightly different now. She’s graduated and will be working and Hyomin and Jiyeon will need modes of transportation of their own. Unfortunately public transportation isn’t nearly as reliable (nor as safe for young girls) as they would like it to be, so Hyomin will be getting a new car.

Hyomin was ecstatic. She had some money set aside for this car too, her benefactors (aka parents) made sure she always had money to continue her time in the States and offered to purchase the car for her. She told them she wanted it to be her first big purchase (since spending the two thousand dollars on her camera equipment) and for this purchase to her feel like an adult with large responsibilities and not just a student. They told her no, but eventually decided they would fund for 70 percent of the car’s cost, and she could handle the rest. Thirty percent, it still felt like a victory to her and said okay.

Pulling into the car lot, they noticed there were so many cars. This won’t be easy, and she couldn’t take it lightly. Soyeon and Jiyeon where going to be there to support her. One giant leap forward. Time to get a car!

“Hello, can I help you all today” said a car salesman at he approaches them with a smile.

*********************

“Have you eaten yet? Are you hungry” Sunny asked while driving back to the home. Hyunah replied in Korean, but Sunny directed her to answer again with English.

“I ate on the aeroplane. I am not hungry right now,” Hyunah re-answered. Sunny understood Hyunah meant 'airplane.'

“We’ll eat with everyone else later tonight. You must be tired, we’ll unpack and rest and meet everyone else.” Sunny said,

Hyunah responded with a nod while observing her surroundings as they past by.

Within moments they arrived home. Tiffany and Jessica were waiting with a cake and balloons. Upon Hyunah’s entry she was showered with streamers and balloons and cheers of welcome.

“We’re happy to have you here Hyunah, you’re going to love it here,” Tiffany cheered.

“Help her with the luggage Tiff,” Jessica said, all the while smiling. “Please make yourself at home. After all you’ll be living here now.”

“I’ll show you to your room, here come.” Sunny said directing Hyunah. “We only have three rooms so you’ll have to share with me.”

“We’re really sorry about that, I hope you don’t mind it” Jessica added sincerely in Korean.

“Oh no. It’s okay, I don’t mind sharing with Sunny unnie.” Hyunah responded shaking her head. “Thank you.”

Jessica and Tiffany continued to offer their welcomes and announce that they would leave for work. As with Sunny, both Tiffany and Jessica has financial support where they didn’t have to work, but employment help remedied the boredom of the day. The girls worked out of choice, and it gave them pocket money for various splurges that came to their minds.

Sunny had set aside closet space for Hyunah and had drawers emptied for her as well other tidbits that showed earnest preparation for her arrival except for the bed. Jessica and Tiffany each had their own rooms, each with a queen size bed. Sunny’s smaller stature, or rather space efficient size suggested that she used a full size bed. Hyunah had no problems sharing a bed with her dear friend and “older sister”.

Hyunah asked questions such as where everyone worked, what school was like, if people were nice and many of the things expected of a newcomer. After lunch Hyunah took went to sleep on Sunny’s bed and Sunny resumed to her adventure as a sackman in Little Big Planet.

Hours later Jessica and Tiffany returned from work, and found Sunny asleep on the couch. They toggled at Sunny to wake her up. Hyunah was still asleep however.

It seemed as a perfect time as any to play a prank on the young girl. Sunny recovered from her dream state rather quickly and agreed. With slight giggles Jessica and Tiffany pushed the TV stand box into the middle of the room and ran to wake up Hyunah.

“Hyunah, wake up. We’re going out for dinner, let’s get ready.”

“Hmmm? Where’s Sunny?” Hyunah asked.

“She had to step out for an errand but will be back shortly. Come we prepared another surprise for you. A present from all three of us”

The girls led Hyunah out the bedroom to the box.

“It’s for you!”

“What is it?”

“It’s a surprise!”

As Hyunah came over the box to open it, flipping over the first flap, Sunny violently emerged out from the box.

“RAWR!!!”

“AHHHHH!” Hyunah screamed in retreated. Everyone was laughing, everyone but Hyunah who was hitting people, espeically Sunny as she was getting out of the box.

“You’re all too mean” Hyunah whined.

“Awww it’s okay. Come on, it was funny”

“It really was”

Sunny hugged Hyunah as the laughter died down. Tiffany interjected that they should all get ready, since they had dinner plans.

They meet up Taeyeon and Yuri at a lovely Korean restaurant to celebrate Hyunah’s arrival. Quick introductions were made and food was enjoyed. Tiffany announced there was another surprised, however Hyunah was all too apprehensive from the unnies’ previous ‘surprise’. They all told the story of what happened which caused an abrupt laughter at the table and reassured Hyunah the surprise was real this time.

“Tomorrow night, we’re gonna go see Wonder Girls in concert.”

*******************

“Sign here, and here and once more here.” The salesman directed.

Hyomin gleefully signed and smiled. They fought hard for the car, and bargained and used aegyo even. The man shook all their hands and ran off to another office and came back. He told them the car had been washed and topped up and was waiting for them.

Hyomin and Co. had just managed to haggle a way around to purchase a new Kia Soul Sport, with all the options for just $17,000. Hyomin’s cost out of pocket was just north of five grand. Her parents would have definitely given her more, but under her 30-percent compromise with them, she felt this was a rather stellar choice. Hyomin practically jumped up and down from excitement and did laps around the silver little compact. All three posed for a self-portrait in front of the car.

The cheerful girls drove home. The excitement spread through to dinner. Tonight’s dinner was take out, because it was a rather special occasion. The girls still look forward to the next day as well, because tomorrow too would be a promising day. On the kitchen counter, was an envelope with 3 Wonder Girls tickets.