Chapter 28

Pictures of You

“Really, this is a lot of food, we were just hungry you know... now we’ll just have to be hungry even longer with all this cooking we’ll need to do... maybe we should have just eaten out.”

“Where would the fun in that have been? I like cooking with you,” Hyomin replied.

“Though we haven’t done it very often,” Sunny added.

“Well cooking together, baking together... that’s a very Tiffany and Taeyeon sort of thing... we’re more of the ‘take pictures doing silly things’ thing...”

“That’s more like your thing, how come we don’t have a thing?”

“I don’t know, I think spending time together is a good enough ‘thing’,” Hyomin answered.

“That’s true. Do all couples have a ‘thing’? It makes us seem lacking...”

“Well, we used to climb the rock wall that was our thing. Finding ways to sweat our butts off... but now we’re the ‘just chill’ thing, because you’re recovering,” Hyomin flavorfully added.

“So we’ll just be bums...” Sunny responded.

“Not just any bums, bums who like to eat!” Hyomin laughed.

“Then can we justify it more with some cookies?” Hyomin asked childishly. Sunny laughed in response and Hyomin had mysteriously turned up with more cookies. “It’s justified...”


“Right...”


*******************************


“Hey , what are you going to do today? Just mope around in your apartment?” Tiffany asked teasingly.


“I mean what is there really to do? If it wasn’t New Year Day, today would just be any other Saturday, but it is... a ‘special’ day today, it’s a holiday... and I’m not a ,” Taeyeon answered. “Why don’t I spend the day with you?”


“You’re going to be that girl all the sudden?” Tiffany laughed. Taeyeon was hardly ever the kind of girl that was clingy, even if it is briefly comical. Taeyeon usually had her own thing going, but for this short little instance she had nothing. She didn’t plan out this much ahead. “That’s really cute...”

“What?! You’re saying you wouldn’t spend the day with me?”

“We spend time together all the time... I was going to see some people on the team for lunch later, did you want to come?” Tiffany laughed. Truthfully Tiffany had no problem hanging out with Taeyeon all day, but she just knew the ‘honeymoon’ stage couldn’t last forever. “Just an easy day, not partying, no drinking, just chilling and relaxing...”

 

“Really?”


“Well, we might play a little tennis if we can find some courts that aren’t completely snowed over...” Tiffany added.


“There’s always a catch with you... okay, that sounds like a plan, I'm excited!” Taeyeon responded. “So did you need to go get your stuff?”


“I was going to shower back at home and check on everyone... and because my clothes are all there,” Tiffany answered.


“I told you that you could have that part of the closet to keep some clothes so you don’t have to always drive back home, gas isn’t cheap you know,” Taeyeon reminded Tiffany.


“I’ll drive, pack some things,” Tiffany smiled sweetly. “Yoona, you’re a blast, I hope Yuri shows you around for some fun times while you’re still here!”


“She will, I will force her too,” Yoona smiled. Yoona was coming onto her last few days of vacation, and would need to head back to Korea. “I think we’re heading out of town, to visit some small towns that she says has amazing stuff to do and eat.”


“Oh, if that’s the case then yeah... I’ve been there with Yuri, she knows a lot of nice places like that,” Tiffany nodded. Yuri was putting away dishes from breakfast so Tiffany gave Yuri a gentle hug while saying goodbye. “Have a fun day with your cousin... I hope that kiss didn’t keep you up at night.”


“Oh I will and no it didn’t,” Yuri joined in on the joke. “Thank you so much, for not making it awkward today. That was just SO nice of you...”


“Oh you’re very welcome,” Tiffany replied playing off Yuri’s sarcasm. She leaned in close into Yuri as if she was going for a kiss. “You got something in your teeth...”  Tiffany laughed and gave Yuri a quick peck on the cheek. “That’s all you get, I know you’d like more... but I’m happy with Taeyeon...”


Yuri laughed and hugged Tiffany one last time before letting her go. “Yeah, maybe in a different life... you would have fallen under my charms.”
 

“You wish! Taeyeon come on let's go. I haven’t got all day!” Tiffany yelled out. Taeyeon came trotting along with her bag ready to go. “Finally... bye Yoona, have fun with Yuri.”


The couple climbed off into Tiffany’s car and drove off. As usual, they always found things to talk about while riding together. Taeyeon started with simple innocuous questions. “How come you didn’t tell me about the lunch earlier?”


“It kind of came up last minute, last night during the party some people asked and had planned it. You might have not remembered it... you barely remember being a ,” Tiffany answered.


“Oh, so not fair... but you’re right... I probably forgot, or didn’t hear, I still can’t believe you make time to hang out with everyone still,” Taeyeon replied.


“It’s one of my new year resolutions, spend more time with other people,” Tiffany answered in her sing-song cheer voice. Taeyeon raised her eyebrow to the answer, Tiffany noticed. “I still want to spend time with you... and be like the best girlfriend ever... but I want to spend it with other people. I don’t want us to be one of those couples that just disappear from their friends and stuff since they are in a relationship. You remember Ross and Rachel, I don’t want to be like that.”


“Oh... yeah... I know what you mean... I hardly see Ross and Rachel anymore,” Taeyeon mentioned. Ross and Rachel were a couple that played on the tennis team a while back. Taeyeon and Tiffany had originally met through the tennis team and the two hit it off then. Ross and Rachel after they started dating began to spend less time with tennis, the team and hanging out and eventually they only hear about Ross and Rachel through Facebook updates. They were a cute couple, wonderfully happy, always doing things together. It’s cute but at the same time it could be so sweet that it’s sickening. “True true, I know we see each other every day, just about. Have your other friends been missing you?”


“Well they have been calling and I still get out with them. I haven’t made time for Sunny and Jessica as much I used to.”


“No I get it; I can get annoyed with that too. I always see Yuri though so it’s not like big deal, and most of your friends on the team are also mine. So it’s good if we spend time with them... and we can just be ourselves... spend time apart but still be in love... “


“You want time apart?” Tiffany asked with clear confusion.


“Well not like apart apart, but you know. Not every day. Every minute... like it is nice that we can still function when we’re apart... move on from the honeymoon,” Taeyeon clarified.


“I don’t understand how Ross and Rachel have been in the honeymoon stage for over 3 years... but I understand, time makes the heart grow fonder... end our honeymoon,” Tiffany agreed.


“Wait, we’re still going to like, have right? We’re not ending that are we?”


“Oh hell no.”

“Okay good, just making sure.”

************************

“How did we stay hungry for that long?” Hyomin asked placing her dish into the sink.


“Well we toughed it out,” Sunny said and started washing the dishes. The two had made their simple lunch of egg rolls and sandwiches while Hyunah and Sunhwa had claimed some cookies and nestled themselves in front of the TV. “Still hungry?”


“No. Is your dressing okay? You’ve moved around a bit today, do you need to change it?”


“Gosh, now you’re starting to sound like Jessi. It should be fine... you’re just looking for an excuse to get my out of my pants,” Sunny replied.


“At least it’s a good excuse... come on, let’s go. I can definitely do this, take off your pants!” Hyomin cheered and skipped over to the bedroom. Sunny lingered into the room where she found Hyomin eagerly waiting with the box of medical supplies that Dr. Reid had set aside for them. “Do you want me to take them off or...” Hyomin asked reaching her hands towards the button and zipper of Sunny’s jeans.


“I got it I got it!” Sunny laughed, slapping away Hyomin’s hands. She undid the button and slide out of her jeans. Her dressing for the most part held up well but needed regular changing; she didn’t move that much other than walking around. Her sutures had held well together really and she was healing daily but Hyomin couldn’t pass up a chance to get Sunny out of her pants and her hands on those magnificent thighs.


“It looks like you’ll be back to your old self in no time,” Hyomin said with a sweet cheer.


“Yeah, but I know you just love this right now don’t you?” Sunny laughed.


“It has its perks...” Hyomin nodded. Sunny laughed and then noticed Tiffany coming in with Taeyeon. Tiffany greeted everyone and nonchalantly said she was going to take a shower before seeing from friends. Hyomin chuckled, “I’m sure you will...”


Sunny eyes got big and slapped Hyomin in the back but she was already laughing at her off-put innuendo that no one else seem to understand. Tiffany smiled and responded playfully, “Oh Sunny, she’s just the girl for you.”


Nearly just as fast as they came, Tiffany and Taeyeon disappeared off and left the four girls in the townhome to do whatever they pleased. The hours ticked by and they still hadn’t heard from Jessica. She was a big girl and could handle herself, but it wasn’t in her nature to just be so out of touch. Hyunah figured that Jessica must have either went off to retreat somewhere or she went looking for Yuri to make amends, but even so she had be gone for quite some time. “Phone is off, it just goes straight to voicemail” Hyunah informed everyone.


Sunny called Tiffany to ask if she had heard from Jessica, but the response was ‘no’. Sunny called Yuri who also said that she hadn’t heard from Jessica and would be spending the day with Yoona. Sunny then tried calling the same bar as last time she found Jessica, no luck, she tried Jessica’s co-workers and other friends.


“No luck?” Hyomin asked slightly worried, she knew Sunny was concern about Jessica’s whereabouts, and well-being. Sunny was puzzled but then finally had an idea.


“I think I know where she is, there is only one other place she could be...” Sunny said after some heavy consideration. “You guys stay here and have fun, or go out... just let me know. I’ll go get Jessi.”


“Wait for me!” Hyomin cried and darted out with Sunny. Hyomin tactfully led Sunny to her car rather than having Sunny drive off in Jessica’s old car. “I’ll drive, you just tell me which way.” Sunny directed Hyomin to a park, one that Hyomin never really visited before. There were plenty of jogging trails, soccer fields, and people playing. “What makes you think she’ll be here?”


“This was her quiet place. She liked to get to the little hill and get by the tree and watch people play soccer. I’ve been here with her many times,” Sunny answered. Hyomin mouthed out an ‘oh’ and held Sunny’s hand as they walked down the trail towards the hill. They tried two places and hadn’t spotted Jessica and then decided to try the secret spot that no one knows about, well almost no one. It was well off the trail which meant trotting through a snow-covered path. Sunny’s limited leg movement did make picking up her feet harder each time she sank into the soft snow; Hyomin helped picked Sunny up through the soft snow. They noticed other footprints in the snow and looked beyond ahead and could see a tiny figure up on a low branch of a tree.


“Maybe I should let you two have some privacy,” Hyomin said softly, thinking it would be awkward if she were to intrude onto Jessica’s space. It didn’t take rocket scientist to know if you came up
this way, then you must have a lot on your mind, and looking for some sort of escape. Hyomin knew because she had her own places; everyone had a place. Sunny nodded softly and proceeded alone towards Jessica.

“Hey stranger... what you doing in that tree you little creeper!” Sunny shouted softly to get Jessica’s attention. Jessica snapped out of her daze and turn to find the owner of the recognizable voice. Jessica gave a half-effort wave and force half smile. “Well what are you doing there? Are you going to come down or am I going to have to come up?”

“Why?” Jessica let out, in a slight tired whined.


“People been worried about you since no one heard from you or could reach you,” Sunny answered. She noticed Jessica’s cellphone on top of the snow with the battery pulled out, something that she must have picked up from too many Korean dramas. “Is everything okay?”


“Yeah... how did you get here?”


“Hyomin drove.”


“Where is she?”


“She’s back waiting somewhere. She was under the impression you might wanted some space...”


“Did she now... she’s pretty and thoughtful...” Jessica muttered. “How did you know I would be here?”


“You weren’t anywhere else, and I remembered how you really like this place. We used to come here a lot... are you going to come down or am I going to have to climb up there? Don’t think I can’t get up there, because I can.” Sunny said. Jessica was only a few feet up in the tree on a low branch. “But if I open one of my sutures, Hyomin is gonna be very mad...”


Jessica slightly chuckled. She slid off the tree and landed softly onto the cushioned ground, she took a few steps up to get a better view of the people playing soccer below. “Anything exciting?” Sunny asked. “No, just some girls playing around,” Jessica answered. This park was popular for college and club girl players to scrimmage and play pick-up games.


“Now it makes sense why you always like to watch the girls play instead of the boys,” Sunny added. It might have been a bad time for a joke, Sunny could tell when Jessica just gave a tiny ‘yeah’ with a shrug. Sunny walked up next to Jessica to watch the same sight below. She could see that girls below were college age, some high-schoolers playing a bit during the off-season. She could also see people working on their shots and skills in various fields. Though there was snow, the park managers had plowed out all the snow from the fields to make them playable. “You and I spent a lot of time here.”


Jessica just nodded. When they first came over from Korea, Tiffany had been the first to find work and maintain a busy schedule compared Jessica and Sunny. Often times the two would come to park and go off to one of the far fields and Sunny would just chase down balls that Jessica would kick. Sunny didn’t know how to play soccer or really kick, so she would just retrieve the ball while Jessica practiced on her set pieces. Jessica never really did quite learn how to bend the ball like Beckham but she did get better with her aim and placement. It took hours, days and nights on end. “I remember we used to be here so often that we could walk back to the car in pitch darkness,” Sunny commented.


Again Jessica just nodded; she knew what Sunny was referring to. They did spend quite a bit of time here. By no means did Jessica ever become a great soccer player, but she did get better. She knew because of her tiny size and meek frame, she would never be a scoring midfielder and she was marginal at best on defense; but at least she could be a good passer and a choice for set pieces. She could have practiced crosses and kicks on her own, with just balls and cones; but Sunny decided to come anyways. Sunny gave away hours of her night, her time to help her with just a task as simple as chasing down a ball. That’s all Sunny ever really did. Though for some reason it felt immensely meaningful to Jessica. “I didn’t ever make the soccer team, I’m sorry I took so many of your nights.”


“It was nothing! I had fun with you, and it’s okay that you didn’t make the team, we had a nice run in tennis,” Sunny cheered. Jessica softly replied back “had?” “Well, yeah. We HAD a nice run. I don’t think you and I will be winning any tennis matches anytime soon... if ever.”


“I guess...”


“Jessi, what’s wrong?”


“Nothing...”


“I’ve known you for years... I know when something’s wrong. You got drunk the other day. You ran off to here and left your phone off. You’re not talking to Yuri, Tiffany or anyone else. Something is wrong, what is it?” Sunny pressed.


“I...” Jessica started. She could talk to Sunny about anything and always had, but she didn’t know how to really explain her situation. “I’m just a messed. I’ve f**ked everything up...”


“... what are you talking about?”


“Yuri isn’t talking to me...”


“Is that all this is about? Jessi, it’ll be okay. She’ll get over it. Everyone has fights,” Sunny said and reached out to hold Jessica’s hand. Jessica yanked her hand free of Sunny’s grip.


“It’s not okay!” Jessica screamed. “It’s just so much more than that! You don’t even know...” Her voice beginning to crack and eyes began to water. “It’s just a mess... you don’t even...” Sunny grabbed a hold onto both of Jessica's arms and pulled her into a hug. While in Sunny’s embrace Jessica’s tears began to flow. Sunny lower Jessica down to the ground before Jessica could get a chance to break down and collapse. “It’s so messed up now...”


“Why don’t you tell me,” Sunny said and gently Jessica’s back. Jessica sank into Sunny and sighed deeply. “So it’s about Yuri right... tell me about it.”


Jessica began at the part where Yuri kicked her out the other night while they were getting intimate because she said ‘Oh Sunny’, though as amusing as it seemed to Sunny, she didn’t dare laugh or comment just yet; not even she could get away with things like that when Jessi is super upset. “Okay, that was mistake, silly as it maybe, but it happens I guess... that can’t be all she’s mad about. You 119’d me Jess, I know there’s more.”


“I don’t know... we haven’t really talked or saw each other, we were at the New Year party for appearances... but like, we spent New Year’s fighting in the car basically... she’s going to break up with me... and maybe she should...”


“What were you fighting about... why would she break up with you? You’re really great...”


“I’m not that great... if you knew why she was just upset with me... why she should breakup with me...”


“All because you said ‘oh sunny’, Yuri isn’t like that. I mean some of her jokes are pretty silly. She has a pretty wild sense of humor you know, I mean I’ll go tell her you really meant nothing by it and you guys could...”


“NO!!!” Jessica cried out but then dropped to a soft whisper. “There’s someone else.”


“What?” Sunny asked in disbelief. Did she hear Jessica right? Her friend was not the kind to have multiple relationships. “What do you mean...”


“I was with Yuri but I liked, loved, and wanted to be with someone else...” Jessica said a bit shamefully.


“I don’t get it... were you dating Yuri and this other person...”


“No... I was only with Yuri... but I always really loved this other person... she’s amazing... and like I wanted to tell her, but she wasn’t interested...”


“So what about Yuri? If you loved this other person why did you go out with Yuri? I mean, doesn’t this mean it’s okay if she breaks up with you since you don’t love her?” Sunny asked, but immediately felt like her question was too much devil’s advocate.


“I... I still care about Yuri... I do care about her... she’s great... she’s funny, caring, brilliant, and she foolishly is in love with me...”


“She’s foolish for being in love with you? If anything that’s a good thing? You’re great... anyone would love you... and should love you... Yuri’s not crazy... she’s like me... she sees everything
that’s wonderful about you...”


“I’m not that great... in fact I’m not great at all Sunny...” Jessica replied.


“Yes you are... there are plenty of things to love about you and that make you great... you’re sweet and kind, you have a funny way of sitting when you’re on the floor, that funny face you make when you’re reading, or how you always remember what everyone wants to eat, how
you’re always so defensive and protective of your friends, you have wonderful things about you... you know it too... and maybe you’re confused and torn... Yuri doesn’t know...”


“I told Yuri about the other person,” Jessica said to end Sunny’s rant.


“Oh... when... why.... how did she take it?” That was confusing to Sunny as to why Jessica would tell Yuri.


“Last night... I told her... I care about her and I told myself. I need to be honest. Tell her the truth. Be honest to her, be honest to myself... and now look where that got me...”


“So she is pretty upset... to say the least... has she said anything to you at all...”


“She kissed Tiffany last night,” Jessica answered and a shocked expression came to Sunny’s face. “Tiffany and Taeyeon had been drinking and Taeyeon first came to me asking if I was a good kisser and wanted to find out, so she asked Yuri for permission and went with it. Yuri later kissed Tiffany, but like made out with Tiffany in front of me and Taeyeon. I mean... Tiffany felt the heat there, it was like that. And Yuri just shot me a look afterwards too... like she’s telling me something... like two can play that game or something.”


“Ohhh,” was all that Sunny could muster up to say. The situation was rapidly going over her head. She needed to think of something to say. “Who is this other person? Does Yuri know her? Do I know her?”


“Yes,Yuri knows her. You should too,” Jessica answered and looked up at Sunny and knew the next question. “No I’m not telling you who it is.”


“Has Yuri confronted this person yet about this?”


“Not that I know of, I’m pretty sure she hasn’t.”

“What is it about this other girl that you love so much? How long had you felt that way about her?”

“Since forever. She’s an amazing person Sunny, you have no idea. She’s so incredible,” Jessica answered.

“Does she know that you like her?” Sunny asked.

“No, she doesn’t. She doesn’t think of me that way. And it doesn’t really matter. She has someone who loves her very much. I don’t think I even really had a chance to be honest,” Jessica said.

“Don’t be like that.  You’re amazing, Yuri agrees with me. That other girl doesn’t want you. You care about Yuri and she obviously cares about you. The answer seems pretty clear that you should be with Yuri. Do you think Yuri will say something to the other girl?”

“No… I don’t think she will but she might. Yuri’s very dangerous when she’s mad… I just don’t know what to do,” Jessica said with a heavy sigh.

“This other girl doesn’t know you like her and she doesn’t even know what she’s missing out on, she’s not worth it. If she can’t see the awesomeness that I see, and what Yuri obviously sees, she doesn’t deserve you. Yuri’s doesn’t want to lose you, even if she doesn’t show it. I know because I would totally never want to lose you,” Sunny said pulling Jessica in for a quick peck.

“You’re amazing Jessi, flaws and all.”

“I have flaws?” Jessica asked in a soft laugh.

“Yeah you do… did someone make the mistake and telling you that you’re perfect?” Sunny joked. Jessica could help but let out another soft laugh. Sunny was always so capable in changing her moods. “Come on, let’s get out of here. “

“And go where?”

“Hyomin and I will take you out to have some fun, let’s go.”

********************************************************

Jessica couldn’t understand what kind of fun she could possibly have at this moment, she ruined her world completely. It was always hard to say no to Sunny, but now there is also Hyomin there too. The three of them together, hanging out and having fun. Sunny took Jessica by the hand and led her out to Hyomin and to the car.

“Is everything okay?” Hyomin asked.

“We’ll see. You didn’t wait too long did you?” Sunny asked with a smile. “Jessi is needs to have some fun. I told her that we would help.”

“Oh, well if it’s fun we’re looking for then I can definitely do it!” Hyomin raved and unlocked the car. They made a stop to a special coffee shop, though it could hardly and be barely called a coffee spot. It was a special cafe that guys liked to visit for overpriced coffee simply because the women didn’t wear any clothes. It was somewhere between a cross of a Hooters and strip club, except with all coffee drinks, bubble tea and wi-fi.

The atmosphere attracted mostly guys but the barista girls were eye-candy to all and definitely fun to party with; even if it wasn’t a hostess bar.

“Oh my gosh, you’re going to get us fat with these cupcakes!” Hyomin cheered as the server girl brought out more cupcakes.

“Well if I get you fat enough, you won’t be able to run away!” the cute girl answered and placed the tray of cupcakes and cookies down.

“I bet you say that to everyone!” Sunny joked.

“You wouldn’t believe me if I said otherwise! No you guys are my fave tonight for sure!”

“You’re lying!” Hyomin pointed and said.

“No, you guys are amazing. I definitely, totally, completely and honestly say that.”

“Which one of us do you like the most?” Sunny asked.

“Um.. Her!” She said pointing to Jessica.

“Me?” Jessica asked surprised.

“Why?” Hyomin and Sunny asked together.

“Oh, I think she’s really pretty,” the server sat down with them for a moment to answer. “I think it’s cute how she just like sits there and stuffs her face and tries not to look at any of the girls, like she’s trying to be shy. I don’t like girls, but she’s totally one that would give some consideration.”

“Oh, thank you, I don’t know what to say...” Jessica stumbled to find a response. “You’re really pretty too?”

“Give her a cookie!” Hyomin said.

“Oh, feed her one!” Sunny added. The server smiled and showed no signs of objection, Jessica starked with embarrassment grabbed a cookie from the tray and moved it towards the server. “Don’t forget the milk!”

Hyomin moved the glass of milk to make dipping the cookie easier for Jessica. Jessica fed the cookie to the server who took a nice bite out of the cookie. Wet crumbs fell down to the ample cleavage of the girl. “Oh, sorry!” Jessica said reaching for a napkin and started to pat and wipe at the girl’s chest.

“Haha, it’s okay, it’s okay! Thank you for the cookie, I need to go, I got other tables,” The server excused herself after being cleaned up by Jessica.

“You’re so sly! I bet you thought about cleaning that up very differently,” Sunny said, hinting at other methods of approaching a girl’s bosom.

“Oh my gosh! Someone kill me now, I want to die!” Jessica said dropping her head down to the table in complete embarrassment. Hyomin wrapped her arms her in laughter. “You’re amazing Hyomin, I don’t know how you can handle this girl all day. It takes so much, and I’ve been at it for years!”

“Thank you, I try, I try...”

The girls later took their party to an outdoor ice staking rink, outdoor festival party and then karaoke. The night ended with Soyeon having to pick the girls up from karaoke around 3 in the morning. All three girls passed out on Hyomin’s bed sleeping the day and liquor off.

************************

The passing days went by and Jessica couldn’t get Yuri to say much. They finally had time to make a dinner arrangement but it fell short of any expectations and promises. They had met just once before for Yoona’s sake, before she had to leave for Korea. They were polite and nice for Yoona but there weren’t any resolution. Yoona spoke briefly with Jessica when Yuri wasn’t around.

The message was brief and simple. Yoona still didn’t want to say Jessica was a bad person, the situation was understandable and hopes things could work out. Yoona was rather grateful for the fun she had during her visit and glad to have finally met Jessica. After Yoona left, Jessica and Yuri avoided contact again. Jessica tried to call a few times but Yuri was busy, or at least too busy to take a call from Jessica.

It was hard. Hard; because everyone kept asking questions. Everyone had something to say. Hard; since everyone expected more, something more than this. Sunny, Tiffany and Hyomin had been relatively supportive; they gave Jessica room and nearly appeased to her daily. Eating things she’d liked, go to the stores she liked, etc. Hyunah didn’t say anything, though she could easily pull out an ‘I told you so’, but it would be too mean.

Yuri and Jessica finally met again for coffee to talk briefly, it was again rather uneventful. School was starting very soon and they still had some classes together; they had signed up for them back when they were still together.

“We never made it official, like really just out there,” Jessica said.

“What do you mean?” Yuri asked.

“Like you and I, our breakup, whatever this is,” Jessica replied.

“What do you think this is?”

“I mean, we don’t talk. You don’t want to see me, or talk to me. It’s not the same as it was before,” Jessica said.

“I don’t see how it could ever be, you’re in love with someone else. It’s hard to forget.. even harder to accept, I don’t what to tell you.”

“Maybe, that it’s not over... maybe we still have a chance?”

“Jessica, I thought ‘maybe’ when I thought you had feelings for Sunny, I thought maybe, you and I could work out, maybe you don’t like Sunny... there is no maybe anymore. You burned for her, there is no way around it anymore.”

“So then what?”

“We can be adults about this. We have school and other things to worry about. We share friends; we can be mature about this... I won’t tell anyone, or Sunny about what happened, or why it happened,” Yuri explained.

“So we’re really just over now?”

“You were complaining just a moment ago about it not being official, I just thought maybe you wanted something definitive,” Yuri reasoned. “I mean do you have anything to add?”

“...No, you’re right. We’re adults we can make this work, so what now? We’re going to be friends? Or...”

“We’re not Rachel and Ross, this isn’t like a break. We’re just going to part ways, do what we need to do, and just deal with it.”

“Do you hate me?” Jessica asked.

“Heh, that’s a strange question to ask. I’d loved you Jess, that’s why this isn’t any easier for me than it is for you. Except I’m just stronger and I know that maybe I can find someone who appreciates me.”

“Yuri, I...”

“Please don’t. Don’t patronize me. Don’t say anything. We’re over. We’ll talk and say hi and be nice, but don’t go trying to make this right,” Yuri said cutting off Jessica. Just like that Yuri said what she needed and left first. The following days went by unnoticed by others. Spring semester started so school became the focal point once again, along with Sunny’s rehab and recovery.

***********************

“Sunny, I heard you’re doing great. I’m so proud of you!” Dr. Reid said when she caught Sunny in the halls of the hospital.

 

“I think it’s because I had an amazing doctor,” Sunny laughed. This made the blonde doctor blush; her self-esteem often rode on a roller coaster so flattery was a weakness of hers.

“I’m going to pretend that you totally meant that, and it’s 100 percent true, so thank you,” Dr. Reid responded. “But you are making incredible progress; I heard you started balancing on your leg now. You could be doing low-impact aerobics by the end of the month!”

“Thank you, I’m just working hard and doing my best!” Sunny responded and walked out with Hyomin to the car.

“You were totally flirting with her!” Hyomin proclaimed.

“What?! What are you talking about? Elliot, she’s cool like that. We’re friendly with one another,” Sunny said.

“Elliot? You call Dr. Reid by her first name? Oh Sunny you’re in so much trouble! How do I compete against a doctor?”

“I wasn’t flirting with her! She’s so cool, it’s just how you come to talk to her,” Sunny said getting into the car. “Don’t be jealous!”

“I’m not!”

“You’re cute when you’re like this though.”

“I’m not!”

“So cute.”

“I can’t hear you!” Hyomin said turning up the radio as they sped off.

“Still cute.”

“Whatever!”

They arrived to the house to find Jessica cooking. She spent a lot of time watching TV and even spent time with Soyeon to work on her kitchen skills. It didn’t seem like much, but Hyunah could tell it was a new hobby Jessica was trying to keep herself distracted. Hyunah herself felt a bit guilty about the whole situation; in efforts to brush away the feelings of guilt she helped Jessica with chores, goes to the gym with her, and even assists Jessica with cooking.

“It’s not your fault, you didn’t do anything wrong.” Jessica told Hyunah a while back. Jessica wasn’t a complete fool, she understood what Hyunah was doing however Hyunah just nodded and continued. Jessica never declined. Hyunah didn’t even whine when she was with Jessica.

As troubled as Jessica was, she worked incredibly hard not to show it. She had mentioned Yuri briefly just saying that they were taking time apart to focus on school; the various amounts of excuses that seem plausible and couldn’t be further questioned by her peers.

“Jess, that smells great! Hyomin is joining us if that’s okay!” Sunny shouted from the front door.

“Of  course!” Jessica shouted back. Hyomin had become a regular visitor to the house, with Jessica’s school schedule, she couldn’t drive Sunny and neither could Tiffany. So there was Hyomin, the ‘amazing and wonderful girlfriend.’ Jessica had long past the stages of jealousy and envy towards Hyomin. Though constantly she considers Hyomin ‘lucky’, and she just pities herself for having no one. “Tiffany called and said she’d be out with some friends, so don’t expect her!”

“Meat! Oh, you know just what I like!” Sunny said creeping up behind Jessica in the kitchen.

“If I didn’t know any better, it’s as if you were trying to steal her from me!” Hyomin joked. Jessica and Hyunah both laughed at the joke, but they also knew that it was partially true, at one point. Hyunah couldn’t figure out if Jessica still wanted Sunny or not, but knew those kind of feelings she heard outside that hospital room just don’t go away because you ask them to.

“Oh well maybe I should, just for fun,” Jessica played along.

“Sunny! You won’t let Jessica steal you away from me would you?” Hyomin asked Sunny.

“That’s impossible! Jessi and I totally hate each other, right?” Sunny said while hugging Jessica from behind.

“I hate you!” Jessica yelled playfully. The smile was seemingly genuine, unlike those times she put a smile up to hide her discomfort. Sunny was magically too wonderful to not help but not smile.

“Oh I think I hate you both!” Hyomin said leaving them both and helped Hyunah set the table. Hyunah complimented Hyomin on her good looks and clothes; Hyomin had excellent winter fashion, that and she had grown accustomed to saying nice things to Hyomin for Sunny’s sake. Although there was no reason for her to do so, Hyunah did it anyways, similar to how she silently helps Jessica with things.

“Oh you’re cooking is so good, it’s improved a lot, it’s really amazing,” Sunny commented after taking a few bites. “Not to say it wasn’t good before anything...”

“Unnie, you know her cooking wasn’t that great before,” Hyunah responded in Korean.

“English!” Hyomin peeped. “That wasn’t nice.”

“It’s okay, she’s right. I wasn’t great... but it’s a work in progress,” Jessica smiled.

“We’ll do the dishes for you,” Sunny chimed in as they finished their meal.

“No I can do it. Don’t worry about it.”

“Jess, you’ve done enough. And you got those applications and essays to do too,” Sunny said. Jessica had several applications and essays to prepare for internships she was looking to get started in the late spring and summer. The deadline was the middle of the week but Jessica wouldn’t have time due to her course work and tennis practice. “Really, it’s okay. Hyomin and I can do it. That extra time could be the difference.”

Jessica couldn’t decline Sunny’s offer and excused herself to start working while Hyomin and Sunny cleared up the table and started the dishes.

“Is she doing okay?” Hyomin asked.

“She said she’s fine, I ask her all the time, really,” Sunny answered. Hyomin gave her a look that screamed ‘really?’. “Well yes, until she ask me to stop asking.”

“You asked her so much that she asked you to stop? Like in a serious way, or that playful way that means to be serious?”

“Um... she did it the Jessica way,” Sunny replied.

“I don’t know that way,” Hyomin muttered.

“I know... she asked me, in her way. So she says she’s okay but I know she’s struggling a little bit.”

“I’m guessing this Yuri thing is pretty serious. I mean they must have broken up and the being friends part just isn’t taking,” Hyomin reasoned. “It’s been awhile since that day at the park, and she hasn’t really been cheery since, and I don’t see much of Yuri around either.”

“Well how do you expect her to feel about it?”

“I don’t know, I always thought of Jessica as the tough and strong type, like a rock.. or something,” Hyomin answered.

“She’s much softer. She has her own way about her... she’s tough and strong but she has a soft side. Back when she was trying to debut with SM she was like that. She was always confident and strong, if things were rough or she was having a bad time she waited till she was home to let it all out so no one could see.”

“She’s that kind of person then eh,” Hyomin mumbled.

“If by that kind, you mean still awesome, then of course,” Sunny laughed.

“You are always loving her, are you seeing her behind my back?” Hyomin joked.

“Well duh, I see her all the time. Don’t you know? Like every night! I’m such a player!” Sunny played.

“What are you two laughing about?” Jessica asked coming out to get herself some water.

“Nothing special,” Hyomin smiled.

“It must have been about me then,” Jessica responded.

“Well you know...” Sunny peeped.

“I know, I know. Thanks for doing the dishes,” Jessica replied.

“Just do good on your essays!” Sunny said. “You better get that internship, or well one of them.”

“Will do!” Jessica said and disappeared to her room.

*************

“Tiffany why are you making me work so hard! Next time you say dinner date, make sure it’s just food!” Taeyeon whined.

“We spent all holiday doing nothing but eating and getting fat, we were on a roll so we should be ready when the season picks up,” Tiffany answered.

“You remember we’re just a club team right?! Just for fun!” Taeyeon said. Tiffany had entertain Taeyeon with the promise of a dinner date, but had included 2.5 hours of tennis beforehand. “You’re paying for all the food too, just so you know!”

“I know, I know. You’re not going to die, I’ll feed you. It’s okay, don’t be a baby!” Tiffany replied.

“You practically ran me to death! Look at me, I’m a tiny little girl, I was not built for running all over the place! I feel like I can’t even walk right now... argh this girl!” Taeyeon continued.

“It wasn’t even that bad...” Tiffany laughed. Taeyeon replied with a glare. “Where do you want to eat?”

“What’s good and expensive?” Taeyeon shot back. “I intend to get back every cent you put me through today.”

“You’re such a baby!”

“Every cent! Every dollar!”

************

“Honey, have you heard from Soonkyu?” He asked his wife.

“She sent an email earlier about her recovery, she’s doing extremely well. You know how she is, she maybe our youngest but she’s the strongest. They wanted her to go to a sports high school… why do you ask?”

“My brother asked about her, he was also curious if she would be able to work for him over the summer. He’s very interested in having her and Jessica intern for him this summer. He asked me if that was appropriate or not, if I would like them to intern at our company rather than his.”

“It’s a bit early to be thinking about summer internships. Don’t you think?”

“You know how he favors her and Jessica, and he’s always looking for a successor.”

“What about her lifestyle? I’m not sure they are ready for someone like that yet?”

“It’s only an internship, she won’t be a director for another few years. It should be okay.”

“I’ll ask her next time she calls, then.”

"Great! Ask her about Jessica as well. He wants them both, he thinks they would be a perfect team."

*********************************************************************

Sorry for the delay. I hope the long updates are okay. This was originally two shorter chapters that I just combined into one. hope that's good. Have a good October everyone. Thanks for reading and supporting me and the story. It's greatly appreciated.