Chapter 21

Pictures of You

Sunny woke up to a commotion of scuffling and boxes moving. Sunhwa must have been moving in, she slept in late which was to expected in her condition. She lifted out of bed and stared at her clock. 11am. The laughter outside the bedroom got her curious and she went looking for the computer chair but it was missing. She found a set of crutches with a note on it from Tiffany.

“Can’t let Jessi baby you around! Use the crutches and try to get around. Don’t be lazy and roll around all day! - Tiffany”

Sunny picked the crutches and hobbled to the living room to find Hyunah and Sunhwa in the kitchen playing. Sunhwa had her luggage set aside and there was a noticeable mess in the kitchen from the two’s attempts of cooking something.

“Unnie, you’re up! Jessica told us not to wake you and let you sleep.” Hyunah said noticing Sunny. Hyunah noticed Sunny eyed the situation in the kitchen. “Sunhwa is trying to make lunch today.”

“She’s trying very hard I can tell,” Sunny joked. “Where is everyone else?”

“Jessica and Tiffany had to go somewhere. They’ll be back later,” Hyunah answered. Right afterwards the contents in the pot that Sunhwa was stirring erupted, spilling and splashing its contents over the kitchen.

“Sorry! I will clean it up. Sorry! Sorry!” Sunhwa said very apologetically, but with a slight laughter. “I promise Sunny, I will clean it up. Hyunah will help me.”

“YAH! Why do I have to help? I didn’t do anything. This was all you!” Hyunah whined.

**************

Jessica and Tiffany arrived to the dealership not quite sure what to expect but they had a certain idea, it was later confirmed when they spoke to a manager and showed a note that Jessica had received from Sunny’s uncle.

“We’ve been expecting you. Thought you’d be here sooner, but the car is ready to go. We’ll get someone to detail it real quick and go over some paperwork,” the manager said.

“What car?” Tiffany asked.

“Your Genesis Coupe of course. Didn’t you know?”

“Wait, we didn’t buy a new car. How can we even pay for it?” Jessica asked.

“Mr. Lee has already paid for it in full. He had clearly instructions that the car was for a Ms Jessica Jung. The paperwork just needs to be complete, and it will be all yours,” the manager said.

Jessica and Tiffany went to the office to go over the final paperwork. All there was left for Jessica to do was place her signature down on the pages. The ownership and title was placed under her name as well as all the maintenance care packages. After she finished they walked out to the front to find the new blue Hyundai sports car waiting for her. The manager gave her the two sets of keys and shook their hands and returned inside.

“Wow, Jess, you got a brand new car. I’m a little jealous actually.” Tiffany stated.

“Don’t be, I don’t even know what I did. Sunny’s uncle just bought me a car for helping out and looking out for Sunny. I don’t know what to do?” Jessica replied.

“Well for starters we’re taking the car. Correction, you’re taking the car. You can’t not accept it. It’s a huge gift; you’re truly a family friend. Next would be I guess to actually drive the car? Your car is nice, but a 2004 Acura versus a new 2011 coupe? It’s a no brainer, even I’d be insulted if you didn’t take it.”

“You’re right. You’re always right. You think he got anything as nice for my sister?”

“Unless Krystal is taking care of his niece, than no. I don’t think so at all. At most she is gonna get some time off the holidays. Are you okay to drive home in this? I was gonna go see Taeng later, and now that I know I don’t have to drop you off back at home...”

“Yeah yeah yeah, go. Go have fun with your girlfriend. I’m good.” Jessica responded.

“Okay, I’ll see you back at home tonight then. Awesome new car Jess!” Tiffany said, she gave Jessica a small hug and got into her car to drive off.

Jessica walked around the car a few times before finally settling herself into the driver’s seat. She started up the car and heard the V6 engine come to life. It was an automatic but had the sports paddle shifting and apparently every option that was available. Mr. Lee didn’t spare any expense, it seemed excessive but then again this was still hardly a dent in his wallet. Inside the glove box she found a greeting card.

‘Jessica,

I have always looked to you and Sunny as my daughters. Sometimes I wish you were a boy so that she would marry you. I had a good feeling about you even before you took part in training. You are a strong person with a heart of gold. Thank you so much for taking care Soonkyu in her time of need. I greatly appreciate the love and concern you have for our dear Sunny. Her father and mother as well as myself are forever thankful that she has you. Please accept this car as a small token of our appreciation.

SM Lee’

Jessica brought up a chuckle reading the card, it was a bit corny and cheesy but she knew it was heartfelt. She had been the one who called Sunny’s parents, grabbed Sunny’s medical records and maybe a lot of other things. She and Tiffany had always been great friends with Sunny, the three of them going to school together and living together is supporting evidence of their great friendship, but Jessica connected closer to Sunny’s family. It must have been because Jessica was with Sunny in Korea before Tiffany had came, whatever the reason Jessica just seemed to click with the family. The comment about being a boy really poked at her though.

“Sometimes I wished I was a boy too, and then I’d ask her to marry me too,” Jessica laughed. “Oh who am I kidding, that’d be insane, I enjoy being Jessica, a girl.”

She put the car in drive and pulled out of the dealership to head home. She clicked on the radio and a Taylor Swift song was on. Stupid Taylor Swift, her songs always had the lyrics that were relatable. Granted Jessica didn’t play guitar, but still ‘Teardrops on my guitar’ did have the message she understood. Someone else is with her girl, ‘she better hold her tight, give her all her love, look in those beautiful eyes and know she’s lucky cause, she’s the reason...’, Jessica felt herself listening and changing the words to fit the song to her situation. At the red light she thought of another Taylor Swift song, ‘I’d Lie’, and thinking she too would lie if anyone asked about her feelings towards Sunny. The confession was hard enough once for her, she couldn’t quite do it again.

**************

“It’s just not good enough. I need to get her another present. Video games just won’t do!” Hyomin complained to Soyeon.

“I don’t understand. She likes playing video games so you got her a good gift. I mean it shows you know her and that you care right? Doesn’t that make sense?” Soyeon tried to reason with Hyomin.

“Okay, but I can’t treat her like she’s a kid. I need to get her something good. But it’s so damn hard...”

“Did you just cuss? What is wrong with you?” Soyeon asked.

“Sorry!! She has everything. You don’t know! Recently I just found out that she’s harder to shop for than anyone. I have to be perfect. This is such a dilemma now. I mean she’s not normal,” Hyomin continued.

“What does that mean? She’s not normal?” Soyeon asked again.

“She’s rich... No don’t give me that look. She’s really rich. Her uncle is the guy behind SM Entertainment. Her parents own several smaller ventures. She’s worth millions... millions. Nothing that I give her will matter, she can get it herself... I mean does she even need me?” Hyomin said.

“Oh gosh, you’re really thinking too far into this. If she wanted to be the rich girl she would have done so. I mean look at her... did you just recently find out?”

“Well after I met her parents, she told me about it. She’s basically a conglomerate daughter. She never really told me, but she did say that it was because she didn’t really want that life or want to be that girl. That’s why she works and stuff I guess. It’s not important she said, but still I mean she’s made of money. I mean video games?! Really that was the best I could do, urgh!” Hyomin protested.

“Well there’s proof for you. She’s not too materialistic. She works for her stuff. Her parents pay for school and the house right. You’re dating her right? You know what she likes. If anyone can pick a gift, it’s you. I promise.” Soyeon again reassured.

*********

“Yuri... I want to have some more fun. This is getting crazy. You need to show me more, you’re on break now. We need to have some fun,” Yoona complained.

“I have been taking you out. I thought we been having fun!” Yuri retorted. They had been spending some time together. The rush of finals long pass and Christmas did linger around the corner.

“I know, we’ve had fun, but you’re always checking your phone. Busy with your girlfriend. You can’t backseat me on my vacation. That’s not fair! I love you, but you gotta stop third-wheeling me. You kind of just bring me as an extra on dates with your girlfriend. Isn’t that a bit strange for you?” Yoona asked.

“No, I never intended it to be that way. I’m just a little too selfish I guess. I want to spend time with her... Wow I seem pathetic...” Yuri said.

“No... I get it... you liked dreamed and obsessed over this girl for like two years... and now you got what you wanted and you just want to make sure you don’t lose it. Totally understandable... and yes it makes you completely crazy, but then again what kind of girl is sane and normal?” Yoona asked in reassurance. “Other than me, I know I’m sane and normal.”

“You are not normal, and you’re far from sane. Calling me crazy. Oh hey, I got a text from her. She got a new car?! Wow, Jessica got a new car. From Sunny’s uncle...” Yuri stated checking her phone.

“Sweet. That’s great. New car sounds awesome. Wish you would get a new car...”

“I’m a college student. Those things aren’t cheap you know. Sunny’s uncle got it for her.”

“I don’t get it, how is that important? You mention Sunny’s uncle again, how is that important?” Yoona questioned while eating the last of Yuri’s yogurt. “Oh, you’re feeling spiteful towards Sunny again huh? Now that she’s okay. You’re guilt is drifting and you’re suspecting of something between Sunny and Jessica again.”

“No... Well yes, but I was hoping to avoid that. I don’t want to be that. She’s my friend, I don’t want think poorly of her. But to me, it’s still like I'm competing with Sunny. It shouldn’t be that way...” Yuri contemplated. “That was the last one wasn’t it? Now we need to go get more yogurt.”

“Yes we do.”

“ Do you want to go over to their place to dinner tonight? We can see Jessica’s new car too?”

“This seems like just another excuse to go see your girlfriend. I mean what is it? Taeyeon won’t be home so you can’t cook?”

“Well I’m sure they’ll do something spectacular,” Yuri replied and typed away at her phone. “Steaks. Yes, they’re going to have steaks, now I know you want to go.”

“Fine, only because I want to meet everyone, and not for you to get clingy to Jessica,” Yoona agreed.

**************

She sat in traffic for a good twenty minutes waiting for the snow plow and the city municipal truck to salt the roads. All weather forecasts point to a white Christmas so the city officials had placed their work crews out to instill the highest safety possible for travelers. It was great for everyone, but being stuck behind a work crew .

She made it through the traffic and pulled up into the neighborhood and drove past to find the house she recognized. She found Sunny outside with crutches and sitting in a chair pointing out orders to Sunhwa and Hyunah with the Christmas decorations. Sunhwa was lying on the roof, hanging her arms and head over the ledge to try to ring lights up and on over the edge. The long white hanging icicle like lights were and twinkled brightly and provided a subtle contrast to the color of the brick, mortar and asphalt of the house. Hyunah dangled on the ladder feeding the lights to Sunhwa on the roof, but they still struggled to use the staple gun so Sunny had resorted to using push pins instead. It was safer that way, Sunhwa had too many close calls almost stapling through the wire and electrocuting herself.

Hyunah keep suggesting that they leave the lights on so they could see the lights while they them up, and it would be easier to decorate this way. Sunny didn’t care either way, there were both sound arguments for both having the lights off and on for this.

“Sunny! What are you doing?!” Hyomin asked getting out of her car. She practically skipped over to the chair where Sunny was seated.

“We’re getting ready for Christmas. It’s Hyunah’s first Christmas here and well Sunhwa’s first time decorating a house… here... I think.” Sunny said. “Sunhwa! It’s not straight! It’s crooked.”

“It seems like a lot of work, but half of the house looks pretty. GOOD JOB GUYS!” Hyomin said and then turned back to Sunny. “Aren’t you cold?”

Sunny shook her head, though there was snow outside on the ground, the weather didn’t feel uncomfortably cold. It was a playful winter day that was enjoyable with the right amount of layers. Hyomin pulled out her camera from her car to take pictures of the two girls playing with the lights.

Click.

She went through and took pictures of Sunny directing the work, using the crutch as an extension of her arm. It seemed all the more comical because of her small stature that the extension was amusing to see.

Click.

After another hour or so they went inside to embrace the warmth provided by the heat of the home. Sunny walked Sunhwa through the room and showed her the bed she could use, Sunhwa again showed her many thanks and bow many times. Sunny took a seat on her computer chair and rolled to the computer and powered it on. Hyomin and Sunny wanted to look through photos.

“Get up!” Hyomin screamed. She forced Sunny out of the chair and she took Sunny’s seat. “Okay you can sit back down.”

Hyomin added a laugh but let out a soft grunt when Sunny sat down on her lap. Sunny’s weight had fluxed somewhere closer to north of 100lbs from just sitting at home and eating and unable to exercise. Sunny’s body never lost its figure and she never could force her body to put on weight, she constantly danced around 94-104lbs but Hyomin had never experienced the heavier side of Sunny. Even with just the few extra pounds, Hyomin could feel all of Sunny on her.

“Did you gain weight?” Hyomin asked jokingly and tapped lightly at Sunny’s thighs.

“Yes I did. I thought I’d try to get fat and see if you still stick around,” Sunny jabbed back as she wiggled the mouse of the computer to open the photo viewing application.

“HEY! Play nice! We have young people here, so don’t do anything dirty!” Hyunah warned before leaving the room. She purposely left the door open.

“I always behave! I’m your elder, you shouldn’t yell at me like that!” Hyomin said and let her left hand creep closer to between Sunny’s legs. Sunny immediately slapped at Hyomin’s hand and pointed at her in warning with a nonverbal ‘no’. “I wasn’t doing anything. I usually rest my hand on my lap when I’m just using the mouse. You just happen to be in the place it normally goes to. Really...”

“.” Sunny said with a smirk. She let Hyomin move the mouse around and they began to cycle through the photos of the day and even earlier. Hyomin had so many pictures, thousands of them that Sunny most likely had never seen before. Hyomin had only given Sunny a few of the photos but there were still so much. There were photos from when the Jessica and Yuri one-month party, tennis matches, and so forth. “Oh! That’s so cute! I want a copy, give me that one too!”

Hyomin casually dragged copies into the ‘photos from Hyomin’ folder on Sunny’s desktop. After twenty or so minutes there was a cry from Hyunah for Sunny. Sunny slid off Hyomin’s lap and hobbled out of the room. Apparently Sunhwa had accidentally locked herself in the bathroom and couldn’t get the door open.

“How did she do that?” Sunny asked but Hyunah had no answer. “Okay, go get the toolbox from the storage... Sunhwa, how are you doing in there?”

“I didn’t mean to break it. I promise! Please get me out!”

Hyomin used this time to surf through Sunny’s computer. She clicked through ‘My Documents’ to look at the stuff Sunny had. In the photos, there were images of Sunny with famous Kpop groups like f(X), SNSD, 2PM, SHINee, SES, SS501, etc. all no doubt through her uncle. She looked younger in a lot of the photos. Hyomin was spying only hoping to get a clue to get Sunny a better Christmas gift than just games. She found a photo of a very younger looking Sunny with Tiffany and Jessica with tennis racquets. Does she like tennis that much? That seems like a thing she did in her past, Hyomin kept surfing through.

Sunny had screwdriver and was working to remove the door handle out of the door so she could get Sunwha out. The latch or something inside must have broken because the key wouldn’t release the lock either. Hyunah just had a little camera and took photos of Sunny working saying it was a funny incident no matter how she looked at it.

“I can’t believe you broke our door!”

“I’m sorry!”

Hyomin opened Sunny’s web browser and went looking through the history. Maybe there was a place she liked to shop. Maybe Sunny had bookmarks that would help. There were clues; she just had to find them.  It felt a little sneaky, but wanted to be an awesome girlfriend and get the perfect gift. Hyomin had jolted down in her phone’s memo pad things like ‘tennis’, ‘food’, ‘games’, ‘dramas’, ‘sneakers’, ‘sports’. This , because frankly Sunny worked at sporting goods store, so that ruled out too much. It was frustrating her that she couldn’t quite figure out what to get Sunny. She decided to peek around the room instead. Noticing maybe there could be something else.

“What are you doing?” Sunny asked stepping back into the room. “Are you looking for something?”

“Huh? No, just looking. I haven’t seen everything in here. You know... ready to finish looking at photos?” Hyomin quickly changed the subject; she took a seat and tapped her lap lightly signaling for Sunny to take a seat back on them. Sunny took control of the mouse and clicked through the photos. Hyomin took the chance to snake both her hands under the hem of Sunny’s long sleeve t-shirt. Hyomin’s hand wrapped about Sunny’s stomach and gently glided across the skin. She smiled. “You’re warm.”

“It’s cold outside. I had tea, the heater is on and I’m sitting on you. I’d hope I’d be warm. The alternative is rather bad I’m told.” Sunny answered with a little spunk. “Besides, Dr. Reid said I could expect elevated temperatures at times during recovery, my body is constantly working.”

“Oh... I so if I sit and wait long enough you’ll get hot?” Hyomin shamelessly asked. Her hands continued to play underneath Sunny’s shirt.

“Hyomin, I’ll never get hot for you. So please quick trying to get into my pants,” Sunny answered back in a mocking tone. Hyomin slid her left hand down and inside the waistband of Sunny’s pajama pants and nestled her hand between the pants and Sunny’s . Hyomin hand teasingly tugged at the and Hyomin said ‘I don’t have to try anymore, I’m already there’. Sunny slapped continuously at Hyomin’s hand until it retreated. “You dirty girl! I can’t trust you for even one second!”

Hyomin laughed and placed her left hand back under Sunny’s shirt. Her laughter slowly dies out and her hands resume their play along Sunny’s skin. Sunny doesn’t mind as she scrolls through the thousands of images on Hyomin’s memory cards. Hyomin nestled her head onto Sunny’s left shoulder and smiled into almost a giggle when her hands found their way up to the bottom of Sunny’s . Hyomin considered pushing her luck to try to fondle them but danced her hands slowly back down. Her right hand however felt gauze and bandage and lightly traced the foreign object. Sunny felt Hyomin’s fingers run along the bandages and heard a sniffled from Hyomin.

“Are you crying?” Sunny asked. Hyomin didn’t answer, so Sunny moved about in Hyomin’s lap and turned to look at her face. “Why are you crying?”

“I’m not crying.” Hyomin answered, with a few slow tears along her cheek. “I’m really not.”

“I’ve told you it’s not your fault. Why are you crying?”

“It shouldn’t have happened. I never should have drove. It was so stupid...”

“If I was driving then it’d be you hurt. You think that would be any better? You did nothing wrong Hyomin,” Sunny stated again. She got up off Hyomin’s lap and sat on the bed. Hyomin followed suit still in denial about crying. “Stop your guilt trip, it’s so silly. You aren’t responsible. I’m glad it happened to me rather than you! I don’t have to worry about you.” Hyomin didn’t accept it as the truth. She felt horrible that Sunny was in such a condition, her fault or not it wasn’t fair to Sunny. Sunny grabbed both of Hyomin’s hands and playfully took one and used it to lightly slap at Hyomin’s cheek. “Fine, you’re a bad girl Hyomin. It’s all your fault. How could you? Huh?”

Hyomin didn’t appreciate the humor Sunny was using and began to cry and sob loudly. Hyomin said it wasn’t funny. Sunny hugged Hyomin telling her she was only joking. Hyunah yelled from the living room to ask what was going on and Sunny had to yell back everything was fine. Sunny whispered to Hyomin to try to calm her down, she even took one of Hyomin’s hands and placed it on her , hoping that Hyomin would start rubbing at her .

“You can’t use your to calm me down! I can touch your whenever!” Hyomin said between her sobs. Sunny commented that Hyomin talked very clearly for someone crying and asked what she could do for Hyomin. ‘Is there anything you do want to touch’, Sunny even asked. “Really? Anything?”

Sunny answered yes and Hyomin took the chance to put her hands under Sunny’s shirt and cupped Sunny’s s. Hyomin stopped sobbing and squeezed at the s. “Okay okay, stop. That’s enough you ert. Are you better now?” Hyomin nodded slowly and pulled her hands out from Sunny’s shirt. Sunny wiped tears off Hyomin’s face, “I swear I think you’re faking it sometimes just to get some action.” Hyomin chuckled before she was silenced by Sunny’s lips.

*************

“Do you ever feel bad leaving everyone all the time?” Taeyeon asked.

“Sometimes, but you know I like to spend time with you, and just you.” Tiffany said in response.

“I know, but we always leave everyone. Like I mean Yuri’s cousin is in town, Sunny’s still recovering at home. Jessica, Hyunah, our other friends. You think we ditch them too much? Are we selfish?”

“Well if we’re doing something wrong, I honestly don’t care...I don’t want to be right, because I will choose you over anyone, every time,” Tiffany said showering Taeyeon’s neck and shoulders with kisses.

“Really? That’s so sweet, but even when like, something like what happened to Sunny?”

“Well that’s different. If someone is in the hospital I’ll be there. Otherwise I don’t feel bad ditching other people to be with you. I love you and that’s enough for me. Between work, school and tennis, I’ll choose my girlfriend over others to have the remainder of my free time,” Tiffany answered again.

“You think you’re so special with words... it’s just I kind of just turn everyone down. I don’t want them to think I’m mean or anything.”

“Screw them, you’re not. We don’t have long in this world and got to make the most of it,” Tiffany said and laid her head down on the soft pillow next to Taeyeon. “You have the strangest topics for pillow talk.”

“Do I? I was just thinking about it. I’m sorry,” Taeyeon said. The two laughed light and rejoined in an intimate embrace. Tiffany had chosen to be more daring and taken Taeyeon out far in the park and into the woods with no one around except the animals and snow. The two lay in the back of Tiffany’s Q5, the rear seats were folded down and they were cuddled under sheets of blankets, it was the first time either of them had ever done it in a car. It had only worked out so well because they were both short, if they had been taller, it would have been too difficult to perform. “What are we eating for dinner tonight? We could always go back to my place, cook something and try for round two... we haven’t been on Yuri’s bed yet...”

“Oh?!  How can you even think of doing that to her? I feel awful enough as it is. I’m not sure I can do that to her. I mean, she is our friend. That wouldn’t be right, but then again...” Tiffany responded. Tiffany and Taeyeon pretty much done the deed everywhere in Taeyeon and Yuri’s apartment, and the only place they haven’t been was in Yuri’s room. Out of respect they thought they shouldn’t. “You’d think she be mad?”

“Jessica never found out when we did it on her bed...” Taeyeon answered.

“Well I’m not hungry yet. We can figure it out later. Right now I just want to stay right here and hold you close,” Tiffany said giving Taeyeon a peck on the cheek.

“You really know how to woo a girl you know.”

The two have continued to raise the bar of their relationship; both have questioned whether or not their honeymoon period would ever end but for months they have been continually intimate, with a bit of cheese on the side. The nice thing was that neither girl had to try very hard to make their relationship work, the driving and sleepovers just seemed natural. Tiffany had always worried that Taeyeon would grow out of the relationship but it wasn’t the case.

“It’s not me, it’s just the universe you know. I told it that I wanted you and now here we are time later in pubic...”

“It’s not that public, we’re out where no one can see us. Oh, you know you didn’t have to be so dramatic, slapping your hand on the window.”

“What?! I had to... you’d never done that move to me before... and besides ever since I saw Titanic I wanted to do that,” Tiffany laughed and explained and reenacted the hand print on the window.

“Really, and I thought I was a dork... oh I made that up too. I was thinking of submitting it to the list of moves...”

“You lie, you read it somewhere. You did not come up with it!”

“I did too! Do you want me to do it again? Huh? I know you want some more, I’m that good!” Taeyeon reasoned.

“You’re such a liar. It was good, but it wasn’t like the most mind blowing thing ever or anything.” Tiffany giggled.

“I think girl will wish someone performed the Tae-Gang on her, because it is like the most awesome experience ever!”

“The Tae-Gang?! That’s the best name you could come up with. How do you know it’s the most awesome? You can’t really perform it on yourself, so how would you really know?” Tiffany asked, continuing their game.

“Umm, because I know you can’t fake it and I know that was definitely a new sound from you. You know you liked it. If you liked it, others will too right? Tae-Gang is an awesome name!” Taeyeon insisted.

“It’s a dorky name, it won’t stick or catch on. I’m sorry. If you insist on using that name, I will have to break up with you. It should be something easy, like the ‘Titanic’, ‘the Audi’...I don’t know, anything is better than Tae-Gang.”

“Well, then I’m sorry. It’s been a great few months, but I guess I’ll just go date some guys... or is Hyunah single? I think I want something younger...” Taeyeon continued to joke.

“Hey! No, she likes boys and besides I think Sunny would like, kill you. She’s protective of Hyunah, and besides you know you’d be too devastated without me in your life to move on. If we broke up, I know for a fact that you wouldn’t be able to leave your bedroom…”

“Oh wow! Conceited much?! You’re not all that! No more Tae-Gang for you!”

“I only state truths, because I love you so much,” Tiffany said and gave Taeyeon a kiss.

*************

Jessica pulled into the driveway and parked behind her old car. She pulled the bags of groceries out from the trunk and walked to the front door noticing the lights that lit up the home. She opened to find everyone had crowded on the sofa watching Secret Garden.

“Hello everyone. You guys been busy I can tell,” Jessica announced and moved to the kitchen to place down the items she bought.

“Unnie! Did you like the lights? Sunhwa and I put them up ourselves!” Hyunah proclaimed in Korean. Sunny had been more laxed with the speaking English rule because it was the holidays but it didn’t stop her from giving little glances to Hyunah.

“It’s really pretty, I think we’re the best looking on this street… well the best looking for having been done by two little Korean girls. I hope you guys are hungry for dinner later, I bought steaks.” Jessica said. Sunny heard this and almost literally push Hyomin off of her and quickly made her way to the kitchen.

“My girlfriend loves meat more than she loves me,” Hyomin stated in a slight monotone that caused Hyunah and Sunhwa to laugh.

“You got us steaks?! Ah! Ribeyes?! That’s so awesome!” Sunny said in noticeable excitement. “You been gone a long time, what else did you do?”

“Oh, well your uncle gave me a brand new car, and I drove around for a bit and then shopped. What’s wrong with your leg? What did you do?” Jessica asked pointing the tiny blood spot on Sunny’s pants near the thigh. “You bleed through your dressing didn’t you? Come on, we need to go redress it. What were you doing?”

“Is everything okay?” Hyomin asked. She noticed Jessica leading Sunny to the bedroom. Hyomin followed the two into the room. “Is it okay? Is there anything wrong? Oh no... it was  my fault. I was lying on her lap.”

“You were lying on her lap? Sunny, why did you let her lie in your lap? If anything you should lie on hers. Sunny, you’re smarter than this... I mean you do have a hole in your leg. You should have known better,” Jessica said.

“I’m sorry this is all my fault. I shouldn’t have...” Hyomin started but Jessica cut her off.

“No, it’s okay... it’s fine... it’s not your fault... get her pants off...” Jessica said pulling out the box of medical supplies set aside specifically for Sunny. Hyomin reached for Sunny’s pants, but Sunny stopped her and pulled her pants down herself. Hyomin was caught staring and caused Sunny to ask a ‘what’.

“Oh, nothing. I see you in your underwear,” Hyomin laughed.

“Really? Not the most appropriate time,” Jessica said without any hint of playfulness. She came over to look at Sunny’s leg, and sure enough she had bleed through the bandage. Jessica removed the dressing and placed on a new gauze and dressing to the wound and tape it again. Hyomin had made noises seeing the raw wound but Jessica paid no attention. “How did you not notice this? I mean didn’t it hurt? It’s supposed to hurt you know...”

“I took the medicine earlier,” Sunny said.

“How many? That stuff is really dangerous, you should be careful. Only take a half in the morning and a half at night,” Jessica said sternly. Sunny was prescribed Vicodin, or hydrocodone as it’s known generically, for pain. Jessica had read that Vicodin was powerful and could be habit forming so she took upon herself to cut all the pills Sunny had in half and try to limit Sunny’s usage. “You should really be more careful. You’re good now; go put on another pair of pants.”

Jessica walked out of the room and headed back to the the kitchen. Sunny went through her drawers to find another pair of sweatpants she could wear while Hyomin watched and enjoyed the scene.

“Jessica... is she mad? I have never really seen her upset. It’s a first for me.” Hyomin stated when Sunny finished.

“I don’t know. She’s not really mad I don’t think, just being cautious. It takes a bit of work to really push on Jessica’s buttons. I mean like a lot, I wouldn’t worry. If anything she’d be upset at me, I guess this also means my lap is off limits.” Sunny answered.

Jessica was in the kitchen putting away items into the pantry and refrigerator; the steaks were laid out on the counter waiting to be seasoned and marinated. Sunny opt to help Jessica prepare the steaks for dinner, poking at Jessica’s below average cooking abilities. Sunny finished and placed the meat in the refrigerator to let the marinade sink in. It would be an hour or so before Yuri and Yoona would be over. Hyomin was left alone in the kitchen with Jessica cleaning up a bit.

“You’re not mad at me or Sunny are you? I mean I am really sorry about messing up her bandage...” Hyomin said softly to Jessica.

“I’m not mad,” Jessica said. She wasn’t really mad but very annoyed and upset at how careless everyone had been. “I’m just really worried about Sunny you know. I’m not angry with you, it’s not your fault.”

“I was worried you were mad at me. I know we don’t talk much and I didn’t want to be on your bad side. It’s really cute that you worry so much about her… Do you think you could show how to change her bandages too?”

“I could, but I mean why? I’ll be available to do it for her whenever she needs it done. There isn’t a real need for it. I can show you the next time, since we just did it. If you’re here next time then sure I can do that for you,” Jessica answered, with a little apprehension. Hyomin didn’t recognize the hesitance in Jessica and was glad for the chance to help out her girlfriend even further. Jessica was the only one in the house who took the initiative to listen to Dr. Reid about changing the dressings; she was pretty excited to be the only one in the house that could do it for Sunny. Granted it wasn’t hard to do, but it felt nice that it was another thing that she could share with Sunny.

“Thanks Jessica!” Hyomin said and gave Jessica a surprise hug. “You’re so cool, no wonder Sunny likes you so much! I’m really sorry about lying on Sunny’s leg!”

“You’re welcome.” Jessica said. They all returned to the living room to watch Secret Garden and wait for the arrival of Yuri and Yoona. After they finished the episode, the doorbell rang indicating that guest had arrived.

Jessica answered the door and welcomed the guests. Yuri almost immediately went to give Jessica a kiss before greeting everyone else. After the drama the TV was now tuned to HGTV for no apparent reason while they watched people try to shop for houses.

“Guys, this is Yoona. Yuri’s cousin. She’s going to be in town for a while. That’s Sunny and her girlfriend Hyomin, that’s Hyunah, and the girl who looks lost is Sunhwa,” Jessica said, introducing Yoona to everyone. “Are you guys hungry? We wait until you got here to start the steaks.”

“Oh, I’ll cook them! On the grill right?! I’ll do it,” Sunny volunteered and hobbled up towards the kitchen. Hyomin joined Sunny in chase to get the steaks. “Hyunah could you go get the grill out?”

“What?! It’s cold outside, I’d have to put on all my winter clothes again!” Hyunah whined in protest. Sunhwa said she would get the grill. “Nevermind, I’ll go get it, let me get my jacket. I don’t trust Sunhwa to get it.”

Hyuanh grabbed her jacket and went out through the back to the storage unit to get the grill out. Sunny and Hyomin went out to join Hyunah at the tiny patio in the ‘backyard’. The townhome didn’t have a large private yard as a traditional home, but they were able to furnish the area with a patio table and come chairs, all of which were covered in snow at the moment. Sunhwa worked to clear out the snow from the furniture and Hyomin helped Hyunah lug over the propane grill. They got it lit pretty quick and let the grill heat up. Jessica, Yuri and Yoona were left inside.

“You should compliment Hyunah and Sunhwa on the decorations later, they spent a good part of the afternoon putting the lights up. They’re pretty proud about it,” Jessica said to the two taller girls.

“It’s really neat. I like Christmas lights. Yuri took me to the Winter Wonderland, it was pretty there too, well prettier, but they were professionals and had lots of money to do it... so yeah...” Yoona said. Hyunah and Sunhwa returned inside leaving Sunny and Hyomin to cook the meat. Jessica tended to making the side dishes by herself.

“Yoona, is it your first time in America?” Hyunah asked. Hyunah spoke in Korean freely without fear of Sunny’s reprimanding her. Yoona warmly welcomed the Korean conversation with Hyunah. Yuri left to go to the kitchen and help Jessica make the mashed potatoes and corn.

“Hyunah I like talking in Korean too, but even if Sunny’s not around you should work on your English some. It’s not that great, so maybe you should talk a bit in English,” Sunhwa said.

“Well, for a math tutor it would help if you didn’t have to check the textbook every time to make sure you’re doing it right! I will talk in Korean if I want to, I’m a big girl. I can make my own decisions, and I choose to speak Korean. Besides I doubt Yoona speaks that good of English either. So it’s okay,” Hyunah answered and continued her conversation with Yoona.

“I saw your new car in the driveway. It looks really nice, do you like it?” Yuri asked Jessica while stirring the potatoes.

“It was free, it was generous, I have to like it. It’s impossible not to like. Yoona is having fun it seems. She’ll get along with Hyunah and Sunhwa. Have you been well?”

“I been good Jessi, oh Yoona said she didn’t like being dragged along on dates, she felt like she was a third wheel to our dates. I think I’ll need to let her hang with more people.”

“Really? Well good thing she’s here then,” Jessica answered and place the bread in the oven. She knew where Yoona was coming from because she noticed it too. It must have been tough on Yoona to just be around on dates all the time. It was Yoona’s vacation, it’d be nice to have fun how Yoona wanted to. All things considering, a plane-ride between Korea and America isn’t cheap, it had to be made worth while. “Oh my gosh, are they having a snowball fight?! Seriously?! Did they just not learn?”

Jessica had notice Sunny and Hyomin throwing snowballs at each other through the window while cooking the steaks. Jessica made her way to storm through the patio to tell them to stop. Yuri grabbed Jessica’s arm to stop her.

“Don’t. They’ll be okay. It’s just snow, it’s harmless and they both throw like girls. I’m sure it’s fine. Don’t be so hard on her,” Yuri said. Jessica looked frustrated and annoyed, the same look that Yuri recognized when Jessica was upset with something with tennis or school. “It’s a good moment, we have to finish up here you know.”

Jessica looked at her girlfriend and took a deep breath, not wanting to upset Yuri she smiled and called out to Sunhwa to check up on Sunny. Sunhwa got up and obliged willingly, most likely feeling guilty for all the damage she had done and to makeup for the generosity of the household. Sunhwa later return with Sunny and Hyomin and announced that the steaks were ready. Yuri began to set the table while Hyomin and Sunny plated a steak onto individual plates to serve. Jessica was in the kitchen finishing up plating as well.

“Hyomin, you know better than to have a snowball fight with Sunny in her condition. I’m glad you guys didn’t get hurt, but be careful next time,” Jessica said freely.

“It’s okay Jessi, I’m fine. I won’t break from a few snowballs,” Sunny replied in a little laughter.

“I know you’re a strong girl Sunny, but I know how you get when you want to play and it’s important we keep your sweating down to a minimum, you have stitches and Dr. Reid did tell us that you should try not to sweat while you still had them,” Jessica said plainly, without adding any authority or pestering.

“I’m sorry, it’s my fault. I threw the first snowball. Honest, I keep forgetting,” Hyomin added, wondering if there would be any tension build up. Jessica had already warned them earlier from the changing of the bandage on Sunny’s leg. Hyomin felt a bit of guilt since she did know better.

“Oh Jessi baby, you’re so cute worrying about Sunny so much, but if she’s anything like the girl I know then she can handle a little snowball. I’m sure she’s bone dry, Hyomin would be sweating before Sunny,” Yuri said. Hyomin defended herself with just a ‘hey’ but couldn’t deny the truth that Sunny was in better shape than she was. “Sorry Hyomin, but Sunny is a fitness machine. A little two minute snowball fest won’t work her up.”

“Fine, you’re right. You two, just be careful and more considerate next time. You’re still healing you know,” Jessica  caved in and said. She set the food onto the table and called out to everyone. “Dinner’s ready guys.”

Everyone took a seat at the table for dinner. Finals were basically over. Yoona was in town. Sunny was healing. Jessica got a new car. Sunhwa had a place to spend the holiday with friends. There was rather quite a bit to celebrate that would call for the feast that laid before them. Everyone started into their steak when Jessica struck up the first question of dinner.

“Did anything interesting happen today while I was gone?” Jessica asked.

 

“Oh well... Sunhwa looked herself in the bathroom and broke the door hand, so Sunny had to take the handle part to get her out,” Hyunah said in the same manner as if she had gotten an A on an exam.