Chapter 23

Pictures of You

“Hyomin, do you know what time the dinner will be?” Soyeon asked. “Jiyeon, did your friend wanted to come as well?”

Soyeon had a checklist of things to be sure and prepared for, Christmas was only two days away. The festive family style dinner gave her too good of an excuse to play with more recipes she learned from Food Network. Soyeon asked Hyomin if she could pick up Jieun from the school dorm so she could just sleep over until Christmas. Hyomin and Jiyeon walked out the door for their mission while Soyeon stayed home watching Food Network and punching keys on her laptop for work. She still wasn’t that great at multi-tasking, the TV was winning over doing work.

**************************

“Oh my... you look so tired,” Tiffany said watching Taeyeon come into the cafe. The two had scheduled lunch alone together to get their much desired alone time. With family, holidays and friends at every corner, it was hard to get away at times.

“I am. I didn’t get any sleep last night,” Taeyeon answered dragging herself to the chair.

“You should have called and told me. We didn’t have to have lunch. I feel bad.”

“It’s not your fault. It’s fricking Yuri and Jessica, they were at it last night.” Taeyeon said rubbing her eyes.

“What do you mean?”

“They haven’t done it in a while, and so last night, Jessica was over... and they were loud and went all night. I mean wall banging, bed rocking, screaming, all night. Hours on end. I barely got to close my eyes before they went at it again,” Taeyeon explained.

“Oh wow... what about Yoona?”

“I’m pretty sure she’s traumatized. She’s a lot closer to the bedroom than I am. If I didn’t get any sleep, I know she didn’t any. I saw her this morning, she did not look well. Yuri totally killed her cousin. Freaking Jessica was a monster. I heard Yuri saying she was tired and needed a break but Jessica said no...”

“Maybe we should that,” Tiffany suggested.

“What? Go all hours into the night? Keep people from sleeping?”

“No, I mean go without . You said they been without it for some time now and apparently the build-up was insane. We should try it,” said Tiffany.

“You, go without ? From me? I know you want to be Tae-gang. I don’t see it happening. You NEED what I got,” Taeyeon said with a tease. She was tired but she knew how to lift herself up.

“What?! Please! You wouldn’t last. Till New Years. I bet you can’t keep yourself from jumping my bones until New Years!” Tiffany said.

“That’s easy! I’m worried about you. You want to do me right here and right now!” Taeyeon smirked.

“Okay, no until at least New Years. I challenge you!”

“Challenge accepted! So what do we do when we’re not having but together?” Taeyeon asked.

“Taeyeon! Wow, we have been together without the before. Try and pretend like you can last these next few days okay.”

***********************************

“Do you think she will like it?” Hyunah asked Sunhwa.

“I don’t know her that well, but it seems rather simple. Aren’t you being a little cheap with your present?”

“Hey! Do you know how many massages I had to give to Jessica to save up the money for this? Besides, Sunny unnie is rich, she can buy whatever she wants. With her, it’s really about the thought that counts,” Hyunah replied. With Sunny not home, Hyunah took full advantage of the situation by speaking Korean with Sunhwa.

“She’s rich? I just thought she was well off... in that case; you will need to do better. That doesn’t seem special at all,” Sunhwa stated.

“Don’t be mean. It’s the best I can do. She’s so easy and simple going. It’s hard to get her something that will blow her away but then again it’s really hard to get her something that will disappoint her,” Hyunah whined.

“I don’t understand, how did you two meet? How did you get to be friends to where she lets you stay here, pay for you school...” Sunhwa wondered out loud.

“She’s not just my friend. She’s my unnie. She takes care of me, when she doesn’t have to. She listens to me talk and receives my thoughts so positively. She’s been wonderful to me, and that’s all that really matters.” Hyunah said.

“True, but still, doesn’t explain your history with her,” Sunhwa said.

“I don’t have to answer! Some things are meant between me and her. She’s my senior in school, that’s all you need to know.” Hyunah said. She was satisfied with the packaging of her gift.

“What did you get me?” Sunhwa asked.

“Who said I got you anything?” Hyunah replied.

“Argh! That’s not nice. I’m one of your only friends, you could have...”

“What did you get me?” Hyunah asked.

“Um, you’ll find out when you open it.”

“Same.”

************************

It was a white Christmas. Snow trickled down in a soft lullaby. Holiday lights lit up everywhere, the atmosphere felt very festive and joyful. Sunny slowly got moving through to get ready for the day. They were going to do dinner then open presents, or was it presents and lunch? Either way she had plenty of time to drag along.She spent plenty of time on the phone with her family back in Korea, exchanging holiday bliss.

Hyunah and Sunhwa lingered closely near Sunny, but careful not to appear clingy. Tiffany wasn’t home and at the market picking up last minute items and Jessica was just lounged out on the recliner reading her book. It slowly became drama time, with everyone just watching the TV and eventually some time for video games. As the night approach they got ready for the dinner. The dinner was an early one, but festive and intimate. Hyunah helped Sunny get dressed, and just as she finished the doorbell rang.

“Yuri unnie is here,” Hyunah said after peaking out the door. “Sorry, English. I forgot.”

Sunny went out to greet Yuri, Yoona and Taeyeon. Tiffany placed the presents under the tree and gave Taeyeon a dirty grin as she ran her fingers along her own body. No one else noticed Tiffany’s attempt to tease Taeyeon, it was cold outside but Taeyeon was dressed in a short dress with black stockings, she was going to try to seduce and tease Tiffany as well. Neither would give in though. Hyomin arrived later with her ‘family’ and as expected Hyomin had her camera out ready to document the evening. Everyone gathered and mingled in the living room while the final touches on the dinner was being added.

They were all called to the table for the grand dinner, which was an obvious attempt to outdo their Thanksgiving feast; which was rather successful. Not until they were full on food did they return to living room and the Christmas tree for the gift unwrapping. It was the moment everyone had waited for. There was a festive exchange of presents and furious swipes of the hand ripping wrapping paper off. The banter and laughter of holiday tradition filled the walls. From silly gifts to outlandish splurges, everyone took in the fun. Sunny however wanted to save her most outrageous gift for Hyomin last and if possible away from others but it didn’t seem possible. It was as if there was a passive way to show off and compete against one another with gifts. Sunny had opened some boxes from Hyomin to find underwear indicating that Hyomin went to the Victoria Secret winter sale. Hyunah said that was a bit naughty off Hyomin to give such a gift. Sunny present Hyomin with a tiny box; it was clear to everyone that it was a jewelry box.

Hyomin opened the package to find the velvet box and opened to find the pendant necklace inside. Diamond heart necklace sparkled in front of her and everyone watching. The silence was interrupted by ‘ooohs’ and ‘ahhhs’. Hyomin was speechless but everyone waited for her to say something, but she just didn’t have any clever response.

“You....”

“You said that you never had a diamond before,” Sunny interjected.

“But... this seems too much... all I gave you was pictures of you... I don’t know what to say...” Hyomin said tearing up.

“Fool! Say ‘thank you’!” Hyunah interrupted. It caused a little laughter from everyone. Hyomin muttered a soft ‘thank you’ with some tears. She gave Sunny a hug that was a bit overbearing, Sunny let out a small cry of pain; Hyunah, Jessica and Tiffany lunged quickly at Hyomin to get her to release her hug. “Sorry... Just excited, emotional... Sorry Sunny.”

Sunny said it was okay. Jessica rubbed Sunny’s back and double checked to make sure she was fine, and of course Jessica’s pampering forced Hyunah to do the same. In addition to the underwear, Hyomin had given Sunny a large photo album, well more of a scrap book really (she gave one to everyone but Sunny’s was the largest) that had printed photos, with dates and little descriptions of the event. She even had a ‘family’ photo of Tiffany, Jessica, Hyunah and Sunny from Thanksgiving. It was a wonderful and thought out gift but somehow Hyomin found herself lacking and inadequate in comparison. She cried saying she should have gotten something better. Sunny said it was okay.

“What are you waiting for?! Put it on her!” Tiffany cheered out, asking Sunny to put the necklace on Hyomin. “Wait, let me get the camera. Okay go!”

Click. Click. Click. Tiffany flashed out photos with the camera as Sunny wrapped the necklace around Hyomin and gave her a small peck on the cheek. Sunny was grateful that her good friendship with everyone kept the jealousy at bay; everyone got good presents she was sure. Tiffany got up to make everyone hot chocolate to end the evening pow-wow. Yuri helped Jessica pick up all the trash, Jessica volunteered to take the trash out. In actuality she was looking for an excuse to leave the house, seeing Sunny’s gift to Hyomin was another sign of defeat; she wasn’t sure why she still held onto hopes of Sunny, not after diamonds. It was beautiful, flawless, brilliant cut and a full carat, not one-half or one-quarter; it must have cost Sunny something well north of $500. Sunny was rich, so she could always shrug that kind of amount off, but still the gift was extravagant, something that neither Tiffany nor Jessica ever had received before.

“It’s cold out here, why didn’t you bring your jacket?” Yuri asked, following behind Jessica.

“I’ll be okay. We won’t be out long. Just got to but everything in the trash can and we’re done,” Jessica answered. Jessica picked up the garbage bags and tossed them in the can and walked her way back to the door.

“Hurry up, or you’re going to get sick!” Yuri said. She grabbed at Jessica and hurried her through the front door back inside. Yuri asked if Jessica if she liked her presents and opened for a brief chat before she went to more serious discussions. “I want to spend the night with you.”

Before Jessica could answer, Taeyeon was ushering everyone into the living room for a big group photo. Hyomin had a small tripod set up and the camera ready to go, everyone was filing into position. After the photos Jessica turned back to talk to Yuri. But then Sunny said she was going to go with Hyomin to spend a night at Hyomin’s house. Yuri looked back to Jessica, noting that the problem of Sunny having a place to sleep had been solved. Jessica went on to ask Sunny if she was sure and began reminding Sunny to take her medication and some bandages with her. Tiffany jumped in to calm Jessica down.

“I’m sure Hyomin will take good care of Sunny, right?” Tiffany asked. Sunny went to put away her Christmas presents and packed a small bag with her items she would need to spend the night. Hyomin told her to bring one of the new underwear that she bought her, but Sunny said no. Sunny said goodbye to everyone before stepping out with Soyeon, Jiyeon, Jieun and Hyomin.

****************************

“Are you thinking about Sunny still?” Yuri asked, crawling into bed. Jessica didn’t answer. “I know she’s like your best friend, and you worry about her, it can be cute... but seriously stop worrying, it freaks me out. It makes me feel like I’m second to her.”

“I’m sorry, that’s not what I’m trying to do, and you know that. She’s recovering, and she starts her therapy soon, I don’t want anything to go wrong... I’m sorry for putting you second. But I don’t have to worry about you, I know you’re fine... you know...”

“So you don’t worry about me? At all?!”

“No, not like that I mean... Yuri! Why are you trying to push me in a corner? It doesn’t matter what I say, it won’t come out right,” Jessica frowned. Yuri took slight sympathy and leaned in close to Jessica.

“I’m sorry. I just need to voice it out, otherwise it’ll just keep happening and you’ll never know it, and it will drive us apart. I’m some hot stuff you know, you should be very lucky you have this!” Yuri said, referring to her body and herself.

“Hmmmmm yes. I’m very lucky. Thank you for putting up with me. I know I been rather difficult lately. With Yoona around and Sunny’s situation, it seems like things aren’t going smoothly, but thanks for sticking through it with me,” Jessica said and gave Yuri a kiss.

“We can’t start just yet, everyone’s still awake Jessi. We can’t be rude. Besides, we got the whole bed and the room to ourselves. It’s Christmas, there’s so much more than just .”

“It’s not just , it’s great ,” Jessica added.

“Have you had any other to compare it to? How can you be so sure it’s great?”

“Well I think we do okay...” Jessica answered feeling unsure.

“See, that’s so cute! You should see your face right now! Yes, yes. It’s really great... but we have to wait... Yoona complained to me for what we did the other night. Taeyeon I can tell, didn’t sleep but she wouldn’t say anything. We need to let everyone rest first...”

“Okay... oh, want to see the photos that Hyomin gave me for Christmas?” Jessica asked. She stepped out of her bed and went to get the photo album that Hyomin gave her.

“Wait, before you back in, take off your pants,” Yuri said. Jessica looked at her in curiosity. “You made me feel inferior and unloved. You don’t deserve pants tonight. Take them off. Don’t look at me like that, I’m sorry I’m not kidding. Take them off or you’re not sleeping in this bed.”

“I’m only taking them off because I have cute underwear on and want to show it, not because you told me to,” Jessica said with a laugh and pulled herself into the bed after discarding her bottoms. Yuri leaned in close and the flipped through the pages of photos, both surprised of how many photos Hyomin had actually took of them. “You know, I’m starting to think that she might be a little creeper.”

*************

“Hey, you two aren’t allowed to do anything funny in bed! Under my roof I don’t allow any of that stuff here!” Jiyeon warned, in a definitive tone that seemed well beyond her years. Soyeon had gone to bed early. Jiyeon and Jieun were the only ways still awake with Sunny and Hyomin. “I’ll be watching... or listening...you’ve been warned.”

“Jiyeon leave! Go! Nothing is going to happen. We’re just going to sleep! Go!” Hyomin cried to the girl, Jiyeon left but not before making the ‘I’m watching you’ gesture. “That girl is crazy I swear...”

“I don’t think I’ve ever even been on your bed before,” Sunny said. “You’re always over at my place usually huh?”

“Yeah, but this is nice right? I hope you don’t have plans tomorrow, I’m kidnapping you so I hope you didn’t plan on going home early. You owe me a few good hours...”

“Oh yeah, what did you have in mind?” Sunny asked.

“I don’t know yet... do I seem like a girl that plans things in advanced? I’ll figure out in the morning, right now can’t we just live in the moment? I mean just a month ago we almost lost you, we can’t got to cherish the now...”

“Are you getting sentimental on me all the sudden? This is not like you.”

“I have to find ways to pay you back for this,” Hyomin said rubbing her necklace.

“It’s a present, you don’t have to pay me back, what kind of thinking is that. You said you never had a diamond before, so I thought I’d get you something special. If you’ll make a big deal out of it, I can take it back and return it you know...”

“No, you can’t have it. It’s mine... I love it... and you... but if we break up at least I got some bling...” Hyomin joked.

“I love you too... geez, maybe my mom is right to worry about you being a gold digger,” Sunny teased.

“Fine, go to sleep! We have a busy day tomorrow.”

“But you don’t even know what we’re doing yet?”

“Shut up! Sleep! Now!” Hyomin shouted. Sunny laughed and said good night.

****************************

“So our first Christmas together, what do you think?” Yuri asked.

“Well, we didn’t want anyone up, and I am exhausted...”Jessica answered. “Merry Christmas Yuri.”

“Merry Christmas baby, did you get what you wanted?”

“I think I did. It was a great Christmas. Did you get everything you wanted?” Jessica asked.

“Of course, it’s my best Christmas ever. I got just what I wanted,” Yuri answered giving Jessica a kiss. “All I wanted for Christmas was you.”

“That’s so cheesy, you shouldn’t say things like that!” Jessica whined.

“But it’s true, what else can I say?”

“I don’t know, but I’m going to go to sleep, and when I wake up hopefully you’ll still be in bed with me.”

****************************

“Sunny! Keep up! You can’t be tired already!” Hyomin shouted.

“I’m so exhausted, I don’t think I can make it,” Sunny said cutely.

“You can’t be tired! You’re always full of energy!” Hyomin reasoned.

“Hey, Vicodin can make you really tired, and besides I don’t have quite the same amount of energy as I used to. You’re way ahead of me now. By the way, who actually gets on the paddle boats on the Sunday after Christmas with snow everywhere?”

“We do! Let’s go! We’re going to make it memorable. This lake and park holds many memories for us. We owe it to the lake and park gods to be here.” Hyomin offered her outrageous insight to why they were getting on an ice cold lake. Hyomin paid the fare to get into the lake. “I’m trying something new, I have a video camera! Soyeon got it for me, it’s flash memory and suppose to be easy to use... Okay, This Hyomin, and this is my girlfriend Sunny... say hi Sunny. We’re on the lake at memorial park, where well... I first pulled my powers of observation...”

“No, it was when you were stalking me and Hyunah. Hyomin is a total creeper! I’m only dating her out of pity. Get that on tape!” Sunny shouted into the camera.

“There is no tape! Memory card! I wasn’t stalking, you came into my park! Oh hey, your accent is getting better, yay! Anyways we’re back on the lake, except I’m doing all the paddling, because Sunny’s leg still isn’t 100 percent. Does cold water make it harder to paddle? Hmm. Anyways, it’s our first day after Christmas together. It’s a Sunday so it’s a little slow out here and we basically have the whole place to ourselves. She got me this for Christmas, can you see it? It’s real diamond. So yeah, she totally out did me and the best I got is her on this lake.”

“It’s really romantic, really... this creeper even brought Subway and hot chocolate. It’s like just how I always imagined it. I’m seriously so lucky right now,” Sunny said into the lenses.

“Hey, don’t be so sarcastic! She’s just always so unappreciative. I love her to death though!”

“It’s only been months, she doesn’t know love! Kim Joo Won come save me!”

“Stop being obsessive about Secret Garden. I’m the best you’ll ever get! You’re ruining my take!” Hyomin said in her defense. “Sunny is my girlfriend, my first one ever.”

“Hopefully the last?”

“Oh that too! A couple weeks ago she was in a tragic car accident and I thought she was going to die, but she’s here now... and I just wanted to show how much I like having her around and stuff... Okay don’t be disgusted and don’t be a guy watching this but I’m going to kiss her now. Watch!” Hyomin announced and gave Sunny a nice sensual kiss. When she pulled away Sunny slapped her lightly on the shoulder.

“Turning me into a reality TV aren’t you?!  Argsh! Why do I even bother with you! Oh, my mom is calling. Hold on... Hello? Merry Christmas too, oh they got the gifts? That’s wonderful. I had a good time, it was fun. I’m doing better every day. Isn’t it a late hour over there? Don’t worry about me too much, I’ll be okay. Mommy, you never have to worry about me, I been here for how many years now? I’m a little busy. I’m on a date... Yes a date with Hyomin... Yeah we’re still together. Okay, I’ll talk to you later. I love you too.”

“What did your mom want?”

“Nothing, just wanted to talk.”

“My girlfriend just blew off her own mother for me. That’s how special I am!” Hyomin bragged into the camera. Hyomin continued her antics on camera as they floated on the lake for several more minutes.

********************************

“Hey wake up. You need to get up. You’re still ,” Jessica said sitting over Yuri using the sheets to cover herself.

“Huh? What time is it?” Yuri asked.

“It’s late, we definitely slept in quite a bit.”

“Jessica! Tiffany says hurry up and get out of bed, she’s making lunch!” Hyunah said and opened the door to Jessica’s room. She looked up to see the two girls in the bed. “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“What’s wrong, what’s going on? AHHH!!!!” Sunhwa asked running in to Hyunah’s scream only to find herself screaming and covering her eyes. Hyunah covered her eyes and repeated the message from Tiffany and walked out.

“Hey, you could at least close the door!” Yuri said, laughing.

“You ruined her innocence, you’re too mean,” Jessica said. She pulled herself out of bed and grabbed her bottoms and top and slipped them on.

“Oh, no undies. I like!” Yuri said watching. Jessica picked a pillow off the ground and threw it at Yuri. “I’m moving, I’m moving.”

They both walked out of the room to the dining table, where Hyunah and Sunhwa were already seated and giving them some glances. Tiffany told them it was about time and had placed food out on the table. She reheated and re-cooked and added a bit of minor work to leftovers from the dinner to make a new meal. Everyone sat and enjoyed the meal.

“Jessi, I don’t think I can take Sunny to her appointment tomorrow, do you think you can do it?” Tiffany asked.

“Ummm... well I sort of have plans with Yuri... unless you want to reschedule?” Jessica responded looking at Yuri. She bit her lip knowing she gave up the wrong response.

“Sunhwa and I can do it! Sunhwa has a car!” Hyunah said. Part of her plan to protecting the delicate boundaries between Sunny and Jessica was also keeping Jessica and Yuri together. Hyunah elbowed Sunhwa who nodded and verbally agreed that she could do it.

“Are you sure?” Jessica and Tiffany both asked.

“Oh you guys, quit doubting her. Sunhwa we’re be happy if you can take Sunny to her appointment. I have faith in you,” Yuri said. She settled the problem and issue. Tiffany thanked Sunhwa for her help.

“Of course, I’m glad to help out. I owe you all so much for letting me stay here,” Sunhwa cheerfully replied. Hyunah nodded in approval.