Chapter 3

Pictures of You

Hyunah’s second day was going even better than her first day. She woke up to find Tiffany making breakfast; eggs and french toast. It’s nice to have so many people taking care of her. She was going to have a busy day.

“So Sunny, you’ll take her up to the school to settle in and then meet us back here before 3 right?” Jessica asked.

Sunny answered with a nod. Today was the day they needed to make sure Hyunah was set for school. It wouldn’t start for a while, but summer has the tendency to go by quick. Hyunah needed to go visit with an advisor, see a financial aid counselor and tour the campus. Being an international student was not easy and many things need to be done to ensure a smooth transition.

“Dress very comfortable too. There will be lots of walking, sitting and waiting” Tiffany added. “You’ll like the campus a lot, it’s very pretty.”

******************

“How early are we going to get there?”

“I don’t know, we should be there a little early. The internet says the line can get long waiting.”

“Oh but we have VIP tickets, we want to be there to meet them.”

“Hyomin will drive tonight. Make her work a bit”

“What should we wear?”

“I am not sure. Will it be hot, it will most likely get hot, and crowded.”

“Who cares, it’s going to be fun, and 2PM will be there too”

“They won’t see you anyways, no need to try so hard”

“You just never know”

****************

The four girls packed themselves in Audi to headed out venue for the Wonder Girls concert. House of Blues was relatively small and quaint for a concert setting, but offered a sense of intimacy for those who went.

The girls got in line with the crowds of others with VIP tickets waiting to meet 2PM and the Wonder Girls. They were more towards the end, but the wait wouldn’t be so bad. Sunny was prepared for the wait with her Nintendo DS. Tiffany and Hyunah were playfully taking selfies and having fun.Yuri and Taeyeon joined them in line with bottles of water they bought from the roaming vendor.

“Drink it carefully, it was not cheap” Yuri said passing out the bottles.

“We should take a group photo before we go in.”

“Oh great idea. How can we get us all in the photo?”

Yuri overheard a group of girls ahead of them in line speaking in Korean. Yuri politely interrupted them and asked if one of them would be kind enough to take a group photo. One of the girls with long hair obliged. The pretty photographer counted off 1-2-3 in Korean and snapped the photo. They all thanked the girl for her kindness, Taeyeon offered to take a photo for them. Jessica noticed the familiarity of one of the girls, and gave a polite smile.

Click.

The doors opened and the VIP ticket holders flocked in to met the Wonder Girls briefly before the show. Fans all over were quite giddy to be meeting such popular idols, it was not very common place for them.

Showtime! 2PM came out and welcomed the crowd. The girls went crazy for the six beastly men dressed in black. The first song was ‘Again and Again’ and the building filled with roars and cheers. Sunny, Tiffany, Jessica and all were dancing and singing along with the crowd to the idols for the next half hour. The crowd was fired up and ready for the Wonder Girls next.

Hyunah cutely whined to Sunny that she needed water and Jessica added that she could use something to drink as well. Tiffany and the others began to give Sunny drink orders too. Sunny proclaimed that she was not a waitress. Jessica simply said that Sunny was the only one with the energy and strength for such a mission and gave her some cash. With a pout Sunny turned and walked to the bar.

**************

The bartender placed three overpriced water bottles out on the bar and Sunny reached to get them but felt a hand on her shoulder.

“Hey, excuse me that’s my water”

“I’m sorry?” Sunny turned to the voice in response.

“That’s my water. I paid for three waters,” the girl told Sunny just as the bartender placed 3 more bottles on the bar in her vicinity. Sunny grabbed the new set of water bottles with embarrassment.

“Oh, I’m so sorry. I thought it was mine, how embarrassing” Sunny said to the girl with a nervous chuckle.

“It’s okay, honest mistake, it could happen to anyone. Hey, you’re the girl who took our picture outside today right?”

“Huh...oh yes! I did! and you took ours. I’m sorry, it’s a bit dark in here I didn’t recognize you.”

“Its hard to see here too, I understand. I’m Hyomin,” she said while offering her hand.

“Sunny. So are you enjoying the concert?” Sunny said accepting the handshake.

“Oh yes. Korean performers don’t come to America often, this is a real treat. I like 2PM and Wonder Girls,” she replied, while clutching the water bottles unsure if she should continue the conversation or head back to Soyeon and Jiyeon with the drinks.

“Oh I know, it’s quite exciting. You have to take little chances like this,” Sunny said as the bartender placed an additional 2 mixed drinks and a diet soda on the bar for her.

“Let me help you,” Hyomin offered seeing that Sunny had a bit more than she can handle. Hyomin grabbed the water bottles thus allowing Sunny to carry the drinks.

Sunny offered a thanks with her smile and led Hyomin to where the others were waiting. Sunny let out a ‘hey’ to grab their attention just as the Wonder Girls started their shadow dance routine and passed out the drinks according. Again she thanked Hyomin, with a smile and handshake, Hyomin just smiled politely and said it was no trouble.

“Who was that? Did you make a new friend?”

“Oh, she was the one who took our photo earlier. Her name is Hyomin, very nice girl”

“Very pretty too, great clothes too”

“Yes, very true.”

**************

“Wow, there must have been a line for water if it took you that long. Or you got lost.”

“Heh, oh no. Nothing like that, I ran into someone and had a little talk with them.”

“Making friends with strangers at a concert?! Wow you are adventurous.”

“Oh no, we met her before, well not met but she did take our photo outside. Her name is Sunny.”

They enjoyed and danced along with the rest of the concert, especially to the encore performance of ‘Nobody’. They left the House of Blues still euphoric from the excitement of the concert. Skipping and hopping around once outside they crossed with the masses to the parking garage to the silver Soul. It was a bit past 10pm, the night was still young enough for some fun.

********************

“I’m hungry, let’s get something to eat.” Jessica said.

“No surprise, you’re always up for food,” Yuri added.

“What should we get?”

“Meat!” Sunny squeaked.

“Always meat with her, let’s go to that place we went to last time. They stay open late” Taeyeon said. Taeyeon, Yuri and Jessica dashed off to Yuri’s car while Sunny, Hyunah and Tiffany went to Tiffany’s.

“Losing team pays for drinks!”

After they arrived the six girls were able to get seating quickly. They were at one of the few Korean restaurants in town that stays open late. Everyone could be satisfied, more or less. They weren’t the only ones from the concert as bits of overlapping conversations could be heard regarding the performances. After placing their orders Sunny heard her name called out, and turned instinctively hoping that she wasn’t losing her mind.

“Hyomin, hello.” Sunny said spotting Hyomin who apparently called her name. Her beauty was more noticeable under the more sufficient lighting of the restaurant. “Are you eating here too?”

Hyomin told Sunny that she came her with her friends to get something to eat as well, she was on her way to the restroom to wash her hands. A short conversation broke out but then the server came out with the food, and Hyomin had to return to her friends before they suspected something was wrong.

*******************

“Was there a line for the restroom?”

Hyomin kindly shook her head no explaining that she ran into someone she knew taking her seat as their food was being served. Soyeon couldn’t help but to comment on Hyomin’s excellent timing around food. Naturally Hyomin was inclined to take random photos to record the event through the night. They could have finished and left earlier, but girls were taking it slow and easy, just enjoying the atmosphere of the restaurant. It was nice to be able to sit down after standing for the whole concert. Before they knew it, time had flown and they were still in the restaurant. Hyomin’s camera was slowly losing battery life.

Click.

Hyomin reviewing the photos noticed Sunny in the background and looked up to see Sunny and her friends making their way to the exit, helping one of their friends a bit.

“Unnie, it’s this way” the girl with dirty blonde hair said in Korean with a slight whine.

Hyomin offered a greeting to Sunny as she approached closer and asked if everything was alright. Sunny explained that her friend Tiffany was feeling a bit tipsy from drinking a bit too much, since the drinks were free because she had beaten the other team to the restaurant. Hyomin was about to ask what was too much.

“I’m totally fine guys,” Tiffany said after hearing Sunny.

“We know you are, but we have to leave before they kick us out. You’re fine, but you don’t look fine.” Jessica offered.

“Aw man, can we go sing, that would be fun. I promise I’m fine”, Tiffany said.

“Fine?! You tried to kiss Taeyeon!” Yuri said.

Tiffany threw up a fit in denial and flung her arms out knocking Sunny into Hyomin. Sunny offered Hyomin a frank smile while trying to offering an explanation and apology. Sunny told her that Tiffany was really great at holding her liquor, that she wasn’t drunk, just ‘pre-drunk’. It would wear off fast but they had to be leaving, and so they exchanged goodbyes.

“Your friend is very pretty and cute” Jiyeon said as Hyomin returned to her seat.

Hyomin agreed as the table concluded that maybe their time at the restaurant should come to an end as well. They lightly debated on who should pay until Hyomin announced that she’d treat all. When the server came back with her card, he bent down to pick up something off the floor. The server politely told Hyomin that she must dropped her cellphone. Hyomin thanked the server and took the phone.

“Oh gosh, it must be Sunny’s phone. She was the only one here. She must not know she lost it yet.” Hyomin said to Soyeon and Jiyeon working the little android phone.

“Oh I hope she didn’t set the pattern unlock! There’s 2280 possible combinations for that if she uses 4 dots as her security,.” Jiyeon said while leaning in to take a look. Soyeon and Hyomin just gave her a blank stare. “What? We talked about it in math class, it uses recursion relationship of numbers, and if you take the vector and matrix pattern for 4 dots you would get....I’ll stop now.”

“I’m so glad you've got that A in math last semester Jiyeon, so very glad” Soyeon said, causing a brief moment of laughter.

Luckily for Hyomin, the phone didn’t have the unlock pattern but just the slide down unlock and she unlocked the phone to find a screen wallpaper photo of Sunny and her two friends. Hyomin proclaimed in slight excitement that it was Sunny’s phone, but how would she get it back to her?

“Search the contacts, call one of her friends... oh Jessica! That’s her name. I remember her from this music camp I went to when we were kids. You can call Jessica, or anyone in the phonebook and get an idea.”

*****************

They had just returned home and had said goodbye and goodnight to Taeyeon and Yuri. Tiffany was already tucked away into bed. Hyunah was using the other shower. Jessica had just stepped out of the shower to find her phone ringing.

“Sunny! Why are you calling me, what do you need?” she said walking into Sunny’s bedroom.

“Huh? I’m not calling you. My phone is right... eh! I lost my phone! That must be the person who has it!”

Jessica answered the call and handed the phone over to Sunny. After a few minutes she hung up the phone and gave it back to Jessica.

“Hyomin found my phone, and I’m gonna meet her tomorrow to get it. Oh that’s a relief.”

“It sounds like she’s a wonderful person for helping you out like that. Okay, I’m going to bed. Good night.” Jessica said and walked out of the room.

“Good night.”