Grief

Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

How Seohyun managed to reach the hospital was a mystery for her.  She was numb all throughout the taxi ride.  She was fervently praying and calling all the saints to hear her pleas.  The taxi driver noticed how upset she was and offered few kind words to calm her. She tried to control her emotions for the sake of the worried taxi driver. She tried to smile and say she’s alright, but inside was a riot of emotions.  She’s so worried that she almost forgot to pay the kind taxi driver.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Jung was already at the hospital when she arrived.  They hugged tightly and tried to hang unto each for support.  Mr. Jung looked as if he cried.  Who wouldn’t when you are standing near the emergency lobby, with wounded bodies passing them by. They kept on wishing that somehow, YongHwa would not look so devastated as the other patients.

 

SeoHyun was sitting on the lobby chairs, waiting for the doctor who was in charge of YongHwa’s care.  She was stricken that she was unable to notice the arrival of her friends.  A hand touched her shoulder and she saw her friends TaeYeon, Tiffany and HyoYeon. YongHwa’s friends Lee JongHyun, Nichkhun and Lee JungShin were behind them. 

 

She opened to try to explain what happened, but no voice came out.  She choked and tears started to fall. The girls hugged their friend dearly, while the boys looked on. My Yong, my Yong Oppa, she kept saying with each word breaking her heart more. 

 

They heard footsteps and saw Mr. and Mrs.Jung with the attending doctor. 

 

The doctor started to explain the condition, “YongHwa suffered from a severe trauma in the head.  He was thrown forward and hit the windshield very hard.  There’s an internal hemmorage or bleeding in the head, but we were able attend to that.  We already sent him to the recovery room where he will be monitored for a while.  Once his signs are stable, he could be moved to his room.”

 

Seohyun found her voice and asked,  “Is he going to be alright?”

 

The doctor smiled and offered her assurance. “Currently, he is doing fine.  But I suggest that several tests be administered just to make sure that there are no serious brain problems.”

 

Seohyun squeezed Tiffany’s hand on the last word that the doctor said. Brain problems,so it’s not over yet.  Mrs. Jung saw Seohyun’s worried face and she held her hand. 

 

“He’s gonna be okay,” Mrs. Jung assured her.  “He got us to take care of him.”

 

Seohyun nodded and thanked Mrs. Jung.  She is right, Seohyun thought. I’ll be there for Oppa,no matter what it takes. She looked at the engangement ring in her finger. No matter what it takes.  

 

***

 

When YongHwa was taken to the room, he was still asleep.  The doctor said that it would take a while before he wakes up.  Seohyun looked at YongHwa’s bandaged head. His face and arms were covered with shallow scratches. 

 

Seohyun asked for a leave from work so she would be able to devote time in taking care of Yonghwa.  Mr. Jung and his wife are more than happy to have her around to take care of their son.  They know how much Seohyun loves their son.

 

It was late in the evening whenYonghwa started to mumble in his sleep.  Seohyun squeezed his hand, whispering into his ear, saying that everything’s okay and she’s there.  Early the next day, he woke up and asked for a glass of water.  Seohyun let him sip from a straw and then he went back to sleep.  That moment pacified Seohyun’s emotions.  At last, he’s awake.  Even if he keeps on drifting back to sleep, they know he’s going to wake up any time soon. 

 

It was Saturday and their friends were there in

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter