Goodbyes

Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Yonghwa was lying on the van seat.  The rain was still drumming loudly on the van’s roof.  He looked at his watch, they have been waiting for almost two hours, but the rain looks like it is not stopping.  There are no news about the road clearing, either. 

 

“This is the worst trip ever,” Yonghwa said loudly.

 

Seohyun was watching the rain near the van’s door.  She looked at the frustrated Yonghwa. “Think of it as an adventure.”

 

Yonghwa laughed. “We should have this documented and written. We would earn bucks from this,” Yonghwa said.

 

Seohyun laughed. “Look at how beautiful the rain is.”

 

Yonghwa sat down and looked outside. He saw Seohyun’s profile looking outside. Not as beautiful as you, he thought. He shook his violently with that thought, think of Shinhye, he told himself.  “You call that beautiful? That is why we kept on getting nowhere,” Yonghwa said exasperatedly.

 

Seohyun looked at Yonghwa. “Sometimes is not about the getting to the destination, it’s about the trip.”

 

She got off the van and stood in the middle of the pouring rain. “What are you doing,” shouted Yonghwa.

 

“Standing,” Seohyun answered. 

 

Yonghwa answered crossly, “I know you’re standing in the middle of rain. Get inside, you’ll get wet!”

 

“When was the last time you played in the rain?” Seohyun asked.

 

“I never did that,” Yonghwa answered.

 

Seohyun looked at him and walked towards the van’s entrance. “You have never played in the rain?”

 

“Not because I wanted to,” Yonghwa said. “I get caught in the rain and I had played a few soccer matches while raining, but I never played in the rain before just because I wanted to.” 

 

Seohyun shook her head and pulled Yonghwa out of the van.  “We’ll get wet,” Yonghwa exclaimed and tried to get back into the jeepney.

 

“You’ve got spare clothes, why do you have to worry about getting wet,” Seohyun pointed out. 

 

Seohyun jumped into a water puddle, making Yonghwa's pants entirely wet. Yonghwa looked at Seohyun incredulously.  “You will be paying for that, wifey.”

 

A few minutes later, there are two adults frolicking in rain, jumping on water puddles and trying to get the other one wetter than the other.  It looks like the rain has no plans to stop. In was a downpour, but Yonghwa and Seohyun were totally enjoying themselves.

 

Yonghwa sat down on the van step and watched Seohyun who was standing under the rain. Her hair was completely wet, plastered in the back of her head.  Her face was directed upwards, her eyes closed and her lips moving. Is she praying, thought Yonghwa, or was she calling on the spirits.  She looks like a nymph.  No, she looks like an angel who landed in the middle of the rain.

 

Yonghwa smiled when he saw Seohyun opened her eyes and started to walk towards him. She sat beside Yonghwaand sighed.  Yonghwa got a whiff of Seohyun’s sweet swell of rain. He never knew that rain could smell so sweet.  Yonghwa doesn’t understand if it was the rain that got through his head, Seohyun’s sweet scent or the craziness and happiness that he felt when he was with her. 

 

Yonghwa pulled Seohyun towards him.  Her body close to his.  Seohyun looked at him surprised, but anticipating. Seohyun’s mind was telling her to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter