The First

Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Seohyun was walking aimlessly.  It was dusk, the sun is gently setting behind the soft-looking clouds.  She arrived in Seoul yesterday but decided not to say anything about it to her friends.  She went straight to her cousin Nicole's house. She was eager to have her stay at her home. 

 

Seohyun decided against calling her friends and letting them know that she’s already home.  She does not want to bother them with her problems, after all she’s adult enough to handle her fights on her own.  She was walking along the Han river area.  It was already afternoon, but adults and children are still walking along the pavements and seated on benches.

 

She saw a park cradled by several trees.  There were children playing in the playground. They were all running around, riding the swing or taking turns in the slides.  She walked towards an empty swing, under a tree, and sat down.  She watched the several cars passing her by.

 

She took a deep breath.  Life is hard. But at least, experiencing difficult things right now would make other problems easier, she thought.  I don’t have to fear life and love anymore.  She rested her against the ropes of the swing. 

 

She was seriously lost in her thoughts and was unaware that a man was walking towards her in the park. 

 

****

 

Yonghwa was walking aimlessly. He has arrived in Seoul last night.  He went straight to Seohyun’s apartment only to find out that she was not there. Where the hell is she, he thought.  He is willing to search every corner of the country just to see her again. Last night, he kept calling her phone but her number can’t still be contacted.  He sighed in frustration. Last night was yet another restless sleep for him. His body is tired, but he can’t rest.

 

This afternoon Yonghwa had this urge to walk in the park near Han river. This was one of Seohyun’s favourite places.  She does not care if its too hot or cold there sometimes or if there are too many children running around and this is the place where everyone seems so happy filling their time there. This is one of the places where the water coming out from the bridge dances that it seems to give a happy feeling of the people watching it. 

 

This is one of her favourite places and Yonghwa remembers.

 

He sat down on a bench and looked at the setting calm water. He was unmindful of the screaming and laughing children and even the smooching couples, who were only a few feet away. 

 

Yonghwa turned his head and saw the best sight he could possibly see in the last few days. There she was. Seated on swing, only a yard away from him. Seohyun, he thought.  His heart was caught in his throat.

 

Seohyun felt somebody was staring at her and looked around. And ‘lo and behold, it was Yonghwa.  Is he an illusion, have I been thinking about him too much, that he actually manifests in front of me, she crazily thought. 

 

She removed his eyes from him and stared at him. Seohyun closed her eyes and counted until five. 

 

Yonghwa saw her look at him and then looked away. It’s not her, they just looked alike. Is she for real, he thought.  He looked away and closed his eyes. He started to count until five.

 

After five seconds, Yonghwa glanced at Seohyun’s direction. Seohyun at his. When their eyes met, they knew. This was not a figment of their sub-consciousness. This is the real thing.

 

Yonghwa smiled and walked towards Seohyun. 

 

Why is he smiling, Seohyun thought.  Run, was the first thing that her instinct told her. You don’t want to get hurt again. But she held on the chains of the swing and waited.  A child occupied the swing beside her and Yonghwa has to wait for his turn. It took a few swings before the child got tired.  Yonghwa held on the swing and sat down beside her.

 

“It’s really you,” Yonghwa said.

 

Seohyun glanced at him. “Yes it’s me,” she answered quietly.

 

“I’ve been looking for you,” Yonghwa said. “You have no idea how many planes I have to catch just to find you. And here you are, seated beside me.”

 

“You’re looking for me,” Seohyun asked. What could possibly be the reason, Seohyun asked herself.  “Why?”

 

Yonghwa went quiet and shook his head.  He smirked.

 

“What’s so funny?”  Seohyun asked.

 

Yonghwa shook his head again. “You know I have been travelling these days just to see you. But now that I have seen you, I actually have no idea what to tell you.  I told Nichkhun hyung that I have to tell you something, but now I’m speechless.”

 

Seohyun shook her head and reacted sarcastically, “I have no idea if I should be flattered that you’re speechless or insulted because you can’t say anything worth saying to me.”

 

Seohyun was about to stand up and to walk away but Yonghwa reached for hand. “Don’t go. If you do, I don’t know if I’ll still have the strength to look for you and then deal with not finding you. Kajima, jebal.”

 

Seohyun looked at Yonghwa. He looks as if he meant everything he said.  He has black circles under his eyes and he looked pale.  She can’t tell what happened, but Yonghwa looks like he is really tired. 

 

Seohyun took her position back on the swing again.  She glanced around, thinking that Shinhyee may just appear around the corner.  Yonghwa sensed that she was looking for something or maybe somebody, and he was able to figure that out.

 

“Shinhye’s not here,” Yonghwa mentioned when he noticed Seohyun trying not to look too obvious when looking behind him.  “We broke up. Well, she broke up with me,” his voice trailed.

 

Seohyun was caught unaware by what he said.  But pain shot into her and she could not help but utter, “So that’s why you’re here. That’s why you’re looking for me. Cause she broke up with you.”

 

This time, Seohyun did not hold back. She stood up and walked away.  She’s so angry. The tears that she was trying to control, started to flow.  She doesn’t care if people will see her crying.  It’s so humiliating. Yonghwa c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter