Longing

Chances
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

It was the middle of the day and Yonghwa was still lying in bed and bored.  His parents just left the house for some errands. His phone beeped, somebody texted him.  He grabbed the phone and saw a text message from Seohyun.

 

“I’m on my way. Will cook lunch for you. See you Oppa!”

 

Yonghwa threw the cellphone and slipped out of the bed. He has to make himself decent since  his “fiancée” visiting.  He was looking for a change of clothes when he saw a stack of photo albums in his cabinet.  He took one and started to look at the pictures. They were baby pictures of him and his brother, Kyungho.  He grabbed another photo album and saw high school classmates in Busan.   He grabbed another album and saw pictures of Nichkhun, Jungshin and Jonghyun. He was laughing so hard at Jungshin’s pictures, he did not hear Seohyun  coming in.

 

“Anyeong Yong Oppa” greeted Seohyun. “Having fun?”

 

Yonghwa was smiling at Seohyun, “Yeah, Jungshin is a crazy guy. Why does he have to wear his shorts the other way around?”

 

For a moment, Seohyun felt she was talking to the old Yonghwa.  The one who remembered. He was smiling at her and gesturing her to come closer and look at the pictures with him.  Seohyun felt as if there was no accident that erased her from the guy he loved most.

 

Seohyun was watching Yonghwa, when she noticed that he was no longer laughing. He was  looking intently at a group photo and he gently touched it. 

 

“I remember her,” Yonghwa thought aloud. “That’s Shinhye.”

 

Seohyun felt she was doused with cold water upon hearing that name.  Shinhye, Devon thought as she looked at the girl who was smiling at the photo along withYonghwa, Nichkhun, Jonghyun and Jungshin.

 

“I know her,” Yonghwa said intently. 

 

He was not talking to Seohyun but rather to himself. He closed his eyes and he remembered Shinhye’s smile, both of them going to college, going to Jeju.  Images flashed in his mind, he saw both of them in a fancy restaurant talking about their future.  He saw his own hand holding a ring and Shinhye exclaiming in delight.

 

He opened his eyes and looked at Seohyun incredulously.  Was Seohyun lying to him all the time, he thought. Seohyun felt cold when she saw Yonghwa looking at her. 

 

“We were engaged.  Shinhye and I were engaged,” Yonghwa said in disbelief.  “How could you say that I am engaged to you, when it was me and Shinhye who was supposed to get married?”

 

Seohyun opened .  He remembered her, Seohyun thought in panic.  She was unable to answer and she felt her heart skipped a beat. Yonghwa got unto his feet and threw the photo album on the bed. He was pacing around the room angrily.  D a m n this, d a m n this,Yonghwa said angrily.

 

“You lied,” Yonghwa accused Seohyun.

 

Seohyun stood up and faced Yonghwa. “No, I didn’t.”

 

Yonghwa looked at her and saw that she was on the verge of tears but courageously fighting them.

 

Seohyun continued, “Yes, it’s true, you were going to get married. But you didn’t. You called the wedding off.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter