Chapter 8

Found you - like a movie.

 

The Clarification

 

“I’m home” Kris called out to his parents as he stepped in his parent’s house. Kris walked towards the kitchen in order to find his mother. He was in a hurry to clear out the misunderstanding his parents had but at the same time, he felt helpless.

He found his mother in the kitchen cooking with their cook, he immediately hug his mother as soon as he found her. “Oh, Yi Fan! I thought you weren’t coming today”

“I needed to talk to you and Pa, as well” Kris then walk towards the fridge to grab some drinks.

“You should stay for lunch then, it won’t take long” Mrs. Wu then continued cooking, Kris decided to visit his father before heading to his room. “Pa is in the office, as usual” Mrs. Wu said.

Kris walked towards the office and knocked on the door. “Pa?” He said as soon as he opens the door. His father was on his study, looking through some files, it was a view he sees frequently since he was younger.

“Oh, you were here?” His father looked up as soon as Kris sat down in front of him. “Are you staying for lunch?” His father asked again. Kris only nodded feeling intimidated with his father, he always felt that.

“I have a few things to tell you” Kris explained and was starting to feel nervous, he could feel the sweat forming on his back, his hands.

“We are not arguing over you starting work, are we?” Mr. Wu has been arguing with Kris over inheriting the company, Kris wanted to go by his own when both his parents were expecting him to continue the legacy.

“I don’t think I can argue about that anymore” Kris had finally accepted that whatever he does, he would need to inherit the company. He needed to reach all those expectations his parents had for him.

“Then, I hope it’s some good news and if it includes your girl friend from last night, both your Ma and I will be happy” Kris almost gulped when he heard what his father had to say. He left his father and went straight to his room. He was starting to feel anxious over what he wanted to tell his parents.

Kris heard his name being called and immediately walked out towards the dining room. His father and mother were both seated on their places, waiting for Kris to sit over his place. Kris was fiddling with his spoons and chop sticks as he sat down, clearly very nervous over what he wanted to tell his parents.

Before Kris even started talking about Lena, his mother started the conversation rather quickly, “So, when is Lena coming over? It’s not good to make us wait, Yi Fan”

Kris almost choked on his food hearing what his mother had just said. Kris could only stay silent trying to figure out how he could explain the misunderstanding, panic started to form in his head.

“I have a feeling that she is a good match for you Yi Fan.” His father now interrupted his thoughts making him more uneasy than ever.

“Um, Ma, Pa, I have something to tell you regarding that” He started and felt at fault when he saw both his parents lighting up over what he just said. “Lena, she’s just” even before he finished his sentence, his mother again speaks.

“If she is still not ready, tell her, we’re not pressuring you to marry each other now. We just want to know her better as your friend” This received a nod from his father. “I think she is a really nice girl, Yi Fan. We really would like to know her better” she continued.

“But Ma, she’s not my girl friend” Kris finally blurt it out, he looked towards both his parents. His parents both widen their eyes and look towards Kris. Kris started to sweat yet again, in fear of disappointing both his parents.

“What do you mean? Are you cheating on your girlfriend then?” His mother was shocked with Kris’ statement.

“I thought I taught you better than that, Yi Fan” His father now almost raised his voice. Kris was scared with both his parents’ reaction.

“No, I am not cheating on anyone!” Kris almost screamed, shaking his head profusely. He began to feel more uneasy when he sees both of his parents sporting a very dissatisfied look.

“Then what are you saying right now? What do you mean Lena is not your girl friend” His mother immediately asked him. Kris could feel that his parents were both very disappointed in him. He started to feel more anxious, more stressed. It felt as if every particle in his body was shivering. He tried as much as possible not to break down.

“I’m sorry Ma, Pa. She’s not my girl friend.” Kris said and hoped that the conversation would drop at that.

“You told us you had a girl friend, did you lie to us, Yi Fan?” Now, it was his father’s turn to interrogate Kris.

Kris was now starting to feel pressured. He could feel himself closing up over what his father had said. He hated disappointing his parents. He hated not living up to their expectation. Kris was thinking hardly on how to answer the question; he knew his parents would be mad regarding this matter if he were to be honest with them. If he were to admit that he lied to his parents, he cannot imagine how they would respond, how disappointed they will be with him and he was sure he couldn’t cope with that feeling.

Kris wanted to be the perfect only child but he could not help getting frustrated, scared about all the things he did. Even when he told his parents, well, when he lied to his parents regarding his girlfriend, he felt as if every single person was pointing fingers at him. But with lying, telling, that he has a girl friend, who he plans to marry soon, he manage to avoid all marriage meeting arranged by his parents.

Kris was now trying to come up with an excuse; he was trying to save the situation. However his brain was not working at all, he couldn’t come up with anything. He could feel both his parents staring at him, waiting for him to answer, expecting a satisfying answer.

“Wu Yi Fan? Did you really lie to us?” His mother asked again. Kris was starting to sweat.  He knew if he admitted that he lied, dates will be set, woman will be picked out and he is not willing to go through all that and he could not bare to think that he has disappointed his parents.

Kris almost hit himself when he said the next words but there were some truth in his words, “She still hasn’t accepted me” Kris said. “We are still in the middle of trying to know each other”

Kris knew he was in big trouble, he should have explain everything but he was too scared and deep inside, he knew he had hidden feelings.