Chapter 15

Found you - like a movie.

Chapter 15

The Thought

“Do you mind if I come over?” Kris asks Lena over the phone, it was lunch hour again but on a weekend.

Lena who had just finished her laundry looked over to her watch trying to decide if letting Kris come over is the right thing to do. “Sure, I guess” She finally answers.

“You can say no, I wouldn’t be mad” Kris said when he heard a little hesitation in Lena’s voice.

“I don’t mind, really. But have you eaten?” Lena asks Kris, she was feeling very hungry herself.

“I haven’t. We could get lunch instead; do you want to meet outside?” Kris now worried; knowing that Lena hasn’t eaten yet.

“No, if you don’t mind eating my cooking, can we just eat lunch here?” Lena asks. She was not prepared to go out with Kris again yet. She wanted to avoid other people for the time being.

“I would love to” Kris was getting excited, “Don’t tire yourself though, I’ll eat anything, don’t worry about it” Kris said again and he could almost feel the smile on Lena’s face from over the phone.

“I won’t, I’ll see you then?” Lena answered and puts her phone on the table. She walks to her kitchen and started checking her fridge. She was trying to work out a recipe from the ingredients she had.

All the food that came to her brain was either too simple or too fancy, Lena was starting to think that maybe she should just ordered food but then it came to her. She decided to take out a wrap from her cabinet and checked if she had some chicken left in her freezer. She took out some ingredients out the cabinet to make her home made sauce, tomatoes, cheese, salt and pepper and the usual.

Lena took out some bowls from her lower cabinet and started slicing some of the vegetables she had brought out after rinsing them with water. Lena heard her door bell ringing; she put down everything and walked to open the door. Kris smiled when he see Lena in her apron. To him, Lena looked cute and adorable with her hair being braided on the side.

“Come in. I’m sorry lunch is not ready yet, you’ll have to wait for a half an hour or so” Lena immediately said when Kris walked in her hallway and she pointed towards the sofa.

Kris shook his head, “Can I help you in the kitchen?” He looked over towards the kitchen. Lena hesitated and was about to insist for Kris to sit on the sofa, “I’ll be bored if I watched the television, let me be useful for once” Kris continued and gave Lena a little push behind her waist to lead her into the kitchen.

“The kitchen is in a bit of a mess” Lena says as soon as they entered the kitchen, but to Kris, the kitchen looked no way near messy, it was organized and well arranged. Kris smiled towards Lena and stood opposite her between the island.

“What are you making?” Kris asks and then he saw the wrap, chicken and other ingredients on the island. “Are you making chicken wrap?”

Lena nodded, “I hope you don’t mind, I can’t think of anything else” Lena continued to slice the vegetables and saw Kris shaking his head. “Do you need a drink?” Lena asks Kris again. “You can grab anything from the fridge” She continued.

Kris could only smile over what Lena had said, he was happy to see Lena in her element. She looked really comfortable and with her concentrating on her cooking, Kris felt a little flutter in his stomach.

“Do you want me to do anything?” Kris now asks and when he saw Lena shaking her head, “I insist” He says.

“Em, well, can you take over this then?” Lena pointed towards the vegetable; “Wait” Lena walked near the kitchen door and grabbed an apron for Kris. Kris stopped himself from grabbing the apron and asked Lena to help him wear it. The lack of make up on Lena’s face made her blush more visible. She quickly put the apron on his neck and turned to tie it behind his back.

“Thanks” Kris thanked her and started slicing the vegetable, “Do you want it horizontal or?” Kris asks Lena for her preference.

“Any is fine” Lena was now cleaning the chicken she took out earlier and making sure it was clean and free of skin. She put them on a bowl and then decided to start making her homemade sauce.

“You are making your own sauce?” Kris asks clearly fascinated. Lena looked up and nodded towards him. “You are amazing” Kris gave her thumbs up.

Lena shook her head “A friend of mine showed me how to make this homemade sauce when I was in Singapore” She explained. “I don’t cook that well”

“I bet this will taste amazing” Kris insisted and Lena only smiled and shook her head. Kris was already finished with the vegetables and watched Lena working around the kitchen. She was now spreading some of the sauce on the chicken she had sliced small and sprinkled some salt and pepper before grabbing for her grill plate from the cabinet. Lena walked towards the side to find some olive oil to spread on the grill and checked her chicken again. Finally, she looked up towards Kris.

Kris was smiling towards her and that redden her cheeks again as she realize Kris was watching her most of the time. “Um, Should, should we grill the wrap or chicken first?” Lena almost stutters.

“I think chicken first” Kris answered and noticed the redness on Lena’s cheek. Kris didn’t notice that he was starting to walk towards Lena until Lena asked if he was finished with the vegetable. He nodded and put a few distance from Lena and acted as if he was curious about the chicken, “You spread some of the sauce on the chicken?” He asks.

“I thought it would bring out the taste that way” Lena answered and finally put in the chicken inside the grill. “I got a feeling this thing wouldn’t taste as good” Lena quietly said and that earned a small laugh from Kris.

“Stop worrying! It will taste fine. I don’t even remember the last time I ate this kind of homemade meal” Kris said and that grab Lena’s attention. Kris noticed Lena looking at him, he immediately smiled, “I’m sure it would taste nice”

“Don’t you live with your parents?” Lena asked curious. Lena had always thought Kris lived with his parents.

“I don’t. They stay somewhere an hour from here” Kris answered.

“Oh” Lena answered. “I thought you were staying with them” She continued and Kris shook his head slowly.

“I don’t think I’m willing to stay there anymore. I feel, well, not at home” Kris gradually explained and he took over the scoop Lena was holding to turn over the food.

Lena didn’t know what to say to Kris but she looked at him and saw that he was sincerely sharing his feelings with her. “I hope you don’t feel that way anymore soon Yi Fan, I really do” She said.

“Me too” Kris answers and at that time, he really felt like hugging Lena but manage to stop himself from doing anything that would make her feel uncomfortable. How was it that Lena knew what to say to make him feel better, less bothered and glad?