Chapter 18

Found you - like a movie.

Chapter 18

The Persuade

 

“Your Pa is asking you to come for dinner tonight” Mrs. Wu told Kris as she sat down on the sofa in Kris’ office. Kris immediately looked over to his mother, trying to understand her expression. “We met Lena during lunch today” His mother smiled towards Kris.

Kris stood up and walked towards the sofa to hear what his mother had to say. “I can clearly see that Lena really likes you, Yi Fan” His mother continued and Kris was a little relieved. He hasn’t talk to Lena since two days ago. “But, we’ll talk about that later during dinner, so, don’t be late, okay?”

 

As soon as his mother went out his office, Kris grabbed his phone to call Lena; however the call was forwarded to voice mail. Kris was now worried, he was getting nervous over what he had just heard. Did something happen with Lena? Did his parents force Lena into something she would hate? A lot of questions were going in his mind and he suddenly remembers the last few words his mother had just said to him.

‘Lena really likes you, Yi Fan’ His mother’s voice rang in his mind.  What made his mother said that comment, he was curious. Kris tried calling Lena again and prayed hard so it wouldn’t go into voice mail.

It didn’t;

“Lena?” Kris calls out.

“Hello” She answers and when Kris hears Lena calm, he finally breathes out normally.

“Are you okay? Did my parents say anything bad?” Kris asks and stood up from his seat towards his huge window.

“I’m okay, they only asked me questions. I don’t know whether I answered them correctly though” Lena answers Kris and Kris were glad that Lena was feeling fine. He was finally calming down over his anxiety.

“They asked me to come over for dinner tonight” Kris told Lena, “I’m sure they just wanted to ask me questions as well”

“I hope I did alright” Lena answers Kris and Kris couldn’t help but smile over what he just heard, he felt the feelings, she genuinely cared.

“Don’t worry, It may be about work, so don’t think too much about it, okay?” Kris tried to make Lena feel better. In the opposite line, Lena was feeling worried but calm.

 


 

“I’m home” Kris greeted as soon as he walked into his parents’ house. He took off his coat and handed them to the housekeeper, “Thank you” He doesn’t forget.

“Mr. and Mrs. Wu are upstairs, I think they will be down in a minute” Their housekeeper explained. Kris smiled and nodded; he walked towards the living room and sat down on one of the sofas.

“Yi Fan, is that you?”His mother called out loud from the second level.

“Yes Ma, I’m here” He answered and his mother was now on her way down to the living room.

“Pa will be down in a minute, let me check on dinner” His mother said as she walked towards the dining room. Kris only nodded and waited for his father to come down.

“Where’s Ma?” His father now asks Kris as soon as he walked down.

“Ma’s inside the dining room” Kris stood and followed his father towards the dining room. His mother and housekeeper had finished setting up the dining table.

“Sit down Yi Fan” His father ordered and naturally Kris sat opposite of his parents. He was starting to feel nervous and on the edge.

“I’m sure your Ma has told you that we met with Lena today?” His father now began the conversation.

“Yes, Ma told me at the office today” Kris told his father and begins to eat his portion of dinner slowly.

“I want you to answer our questions as honest as you can Yi Fan” His father instructed and Kris just stared at his parents, not knowing what to expect. “Are you really planning on marrying Lena?” He continued.

Kris stopped his utensils from grabbing food in front of him and he just look towards the food. He was trying to figure out why his parents were asking the question.

“All you have to say is either yes or no, Yi Fan” His father almost demanded an answer from him. Kris had a lot on his mind, he was afraid of the consequences of saying the word ‘yes’. Kris honestly wanted to marry Lena, he really thought, he needed her and she was the best for him but he was afraid that Lena wouldn’t feel the same way.

More than that, he wanted Lena to feel comfortable with him first and he knows that it will take a while for Lena to feel that with him. Kris knows that he can’t rush and push Lena too much and all he wanted was the best for Lena.

 “Yi Fan?” He called out again and manages to get Kris’ attention. “What should I take your silence as?” Mr. Wu asked.

“Do you really care about Lena, Yi Fan? Or is this just a ploy to get us off your back?” Mrs. Wu now voiced out her curiosity. “We really hope you are planning on getting married with Lena and that you really like her” She continued and Kris was now really afraid of telling the truth. He really did not want his parents to be disappointed with him.

“I do care about her, Ma. I really do, but I can’t rush things, I want to take things slow with her” Kris answered, trying to gain his parents’ understanding. He really care for Lena and in his mind, he thought that it would be best if Lena was not involve in his problems, she didn’t deserve all the hard and complicated stuff.

“Yi Fan?” His father called again and now Yi Fan looked towards both his parents again. “You like her, don’t you?” He asks and Kris could only nod his head. “Then, get married; I don’t want you to waste more time, you’ve already wasted a lot” Mr. Wu continued.

Now, Kris knew he needed to say something, needed to push back his parents’ plan, “But we are not ready yet, Pa, we need...”  Mr. Wu cut off Kris before he can continue to bring out an argument.  

His father stopped him, “Don’t give us those excuse Yi Fan. You are getting married, no more discussion. Be thankful that you are getting married to someone you care about Yi Fan” His father had now used his authoritive voice, “Let’s meet Lena’s side in two days, no more buts” He continued and Mr. Wu now stood up to leave the dining table.

“Ma, we are really not ready yet” Kris tried to ask for his mother’s help, almost pleading.

“From what we had seen today, you’re both more than ready” His mother answered and pats on his head, “Believe me Yi Fan, I think this is the best decision your father had made for you”

Kris could only sigh and was becoming more pressure with their situation. Kris felt the need to walk over to Lena now, he needed her now.