Chapter 1

Found you - like a movie.

The Reunion

 

‘Found you’ She said to herself, satisfied. She was surrounded by racks of movies. A place where she feels the safest at and a place where she can find new interests and information. She was moving around as if she owned the place. Four years going in and out the store, now it seems easy to find movies she wanted to watch. The worker also seems to understand how she is. She’ll look for movies she wants to see and then look through movies by actors. Every once a month, she’ll come by and buy at least two or three movies. She picks up the movie, read the credits and put them down. She picks up another and does the same thing until she is satisfied. She usually spends forty five or more minutes in the store. The worker seems to think she’s family too, not just a regular customer but someone they can talk to.

“Lena?” A calm and familiar voice suddenly appeared right in front of her. She looked up to see a college friend. She was shocked to see his face. Never once did she think he would appear in front of her in this situation, in this place with this condition.

"Yi Fan?” She responded with her still shocked expression. She still could not believe who was in front of her. It was like a dream and she kind of wish it was.

“Lena? What are you doing here?” He asked and suddenly changed his expression, realizing the question he just asked had an obvious answer.

“I’m, I’m searching for some movies to watch.” She answered and quickly look back to the movie she was holding and stole some glances to look at him. He was still looking over at her.

“How are you? How have you been? I haven’t seen you in three years?” He said and was still looking at her. He looked over to the movies she was holding and well, her.

“I’m okay, I’m still me.” She answered simply trying to avoid more questions. She wasn’t feeling comfortable. She felt like as if she could break into sweats in any minutes and that will not be a good scene. “How are you?” She asked out of courtesy.

“I’m fine, I’m. What are you doing at the moment? I mean, are you working now?” He asked. It seems like he was in a rush to catch up with her life.

“Um. Yeah. I’m working as a teacher.” She answered and hoped that he won’t ask where and what she teaches.

“Wow. Your dream came true. I’m glad.” Suddenly he was right in front of her. She took a step back and picked out a movie, trying to avoid eye contact.

“Are you still into movies?” He asked and realized it was another obvious question. All she did was smile and put back the movie to where it had belonged. “Mind recommending me a movie?” He asked. She looked over to Cynthia, her friend in the store, hoping she’ll tell her new stocks had arrived or some sort but Cynthia was busy talking with Susan.

“Em. Why don’t you ask Cynthia or Susan?” She pointed to her friends; I don’t want to make any contact. This is awkward, she told herself.

“But, you have a great taste with movies.” He explained, well, at least he tried to explain. All he wanted to do was keep the conversation going.

“Well. New World is a good movie if you are searching for a crime type of movie.” She finally gave a recommendation without much thought but still with honesty. She recommended one of the movies she had recently watched.

“What if I was searching for some fast paced movie?” He looked back to her. Lena looked over to him and decided that it wouldn’t hurt to recommend another movie but she was desperate to get out of here.

“You should try watching Cold Eyes, I heard it was a good movie” She answered back and finally picked out a movie.

“You heard? You haven’t watched the movie, yet?” Kris asked her, curious.

Lena immediately shook her head, “I haven’t watched the movie yet.” She immediately walked over the counter after picking Lesson of the Evil as her pick.

“You are still into that gore-bloody stuff aren’t you?” Kris asked as he saw what Lena had picked out.

Lena felt a blush on her face, “I guess” she answered shyly not expecting Kris to remember what she liked. “See you girls, soon” Lena greeted her friends and finally turn over to Kris. “It was good to see you, I have to go now” Lena smiled a little before walking out the door.

Kris ran over quickly over “Lena!” but Lena was already out of his sight.