Chapter 7

Found you - like a movie.

 

The Parents

 

 

Lena immediately bows to both Mrs. Wu and Mr. Wu. She was always awkward with older people. Mrs. Wu immediately gives Lena a hug, shocking Lena. Lena however, smiled as Mrs. Wu let her go.

“You never told us her name, Yi Fan” Mrs. Wu asked Kris to introduce her formally.

“Ma, this is Lena, Lena” Kris was not thinking, he couldn’t think straight. Lena smiled again and bows a little to acknowledge his parents.

“Lena, that’s a really nice name” Mrs. Wu looked over her husband and Mr. Wu immediately nodded.

“That is a nice name” He said finally, “I’m surprise Yi Fan never wanted to introduce you to us, I was beginning to think that he was faking his girl friend” Mr. Wu laughed a little. Lena started to become more confuse but only smiled to them in return.

“You two continue your meals, we won’t disturb you two” Mrs. Wu winked. “Lena, you should come over for dinner sometime, please?” Mrs. Wu asked and Lena could only smile, not knowing whether to nod or shook her head over the invitation. “I won’t take no for an answer” Mrs. Wu then continued.

“I will” Lena slowly answered. Her head was still thinking what had happened when she waved to both Kris’ parents.

“I’m sorry Len! I’m sorry” Kris immediately apologized as soon as his parents was out of sight.

Lena was still dumb struck not knowing what had just happened. “What happened?” was the only word that came out of .

“I’m really sorry, Len. Oh god, this is all my fault” Kris started to mumble. “I don’t even know where to begin, oh my, how do I explain this?” Kris holds onto his drink. Lena who noticed, decided to take the glass away from Kris.

“Hey, take a deep breath” Lena tried to calm Kris down, “Yi Fan?” she asks again and motioned to him to calm down. Kris then took a few deep breaths before re-calming himself.

“My parents have been telling me to get married, ever since I was in the states. They’ve been setting me up with all this girls.” Kris started to explain slowly and Lena patiently listened to what he was trying to tell. “I wanted to stop all that, so I told them that I have a girl friend when I don’t have one”

 Lena finally understood why Mrs. and Mr. Wu seem to be excited and it finally dawned on Lena. They thought she was his girl friend. She widens her eyes as those thought registered.

“I’m sorry Lena, I really am, I didn’t mean for this to happen” Kris apologized again looking towards Lena with a guilty look.

Lena tried to make ways to solve the misunderstanding, “You could just explain to them later” Lena almost mumbled as she said the words. She was feeling scared out of the sudden. “Yes, you could explain this to them” Lena said again, trying to find Kris’s agreement.

“Yeah, I’ll do that, I’ll explain to them” Kris didn’t sound so convincing however, he sounded anxious. The two of them became awkward and Lena started to feel like she wanted to leave the place as soon as she can.

“I’m sure they will understand. I’m sure I can explain it to them” Kris tried to calm Lena; he could see that she was getting more anxious by the minute.

As they walked out the restaurant, Kris immediately ran to his car and opens the door for Lena. Both were still trying to digest what had happened during the meeting. Kris sighed as he felt guilty for making Lena feel awkward. Before driving out, Kris looks towards Lena.

“Lena?” Kris called out, trying to grab her attention. “I’m sorry for making you feel awkward. I should have reacted better.” Kris sincerely apologized again; he wanted Lena to feel better. He didn’t want her to be more distant than they already were.

Lena turned towards Kris; she could see how guilty he had felt. She felt the same way, “It’s okay, Yi Fan. I understand” Lena continued and tried to give him an assuring smile.

“I just, I didn’t expect to see both my parents there, I was taken by surprise” Kris explained. He really was taken by surprise.

“Yi Fan, its fine. I’m sure you can work it out” Lena nodded and without realizing, she had grabbed his hands to assure him that she really was okay.