Chapter 10

Found you - like a movie.

 

The Realisation

 

Two days after their late night talk, Kris called Lena. His parents wanted to meet both of them for dinner this Friday. Today was Wednesday; she had a day or two to re think her decisions. Lena however, was set on helping Yi Fan. Kris called her again Thursday night.

“Are you sure, Len?” Kris asked on the phone, he was sitting in his balcony looking over the city view.

“Yes, we’ll explain that it was all a misunderstanding” Lena answered, she was sitting on her white sofa.

“I’m sorry Len, for doing this to you” Kris apologized again. Lena sighed.

“If I don’t do this, it will continue to bother you, I’ll help you Yi Fan, I will” Lena answered again.

The two of them were both nervous as they entered the private room they were led to. Thankfully, Kris’ parents were not there yet giving them time and space to breathe. Kris took the seat next to Lena and slowly pats her hands. Lena smiled and nodded reassuring Kris.

The door opened and Mr. and Mrs. Wu walked in with bright faces, their presence gave an aura. “Hello!” Mrs. Wu greeted and both Kris and Lena stood up as she walked towards them. She gave the two a little hug.

“Have you ordered Yi Fan?” Mr. Wu asked Kris with influence. Kris only shook his head.

“I thought it would be better if we waited for you” Kris answered and received a silent nod from his father. As they finished ordering the food, Mr. and Mrs. Wu immediately turned towards both Lena and Kris.

“I am really happy that we are meeting you today Lena” Mrs. Wu exclaimed and Lena could only smile towards Kris’ parents. “We don’t want you to rush, you can take all the time you need to get to know each other” She continued and Kris immediately coughed at those words.

“Ma” was the only thing he could say.

“I would prefer if you were to get married soon, get to know each other after marriage” Mr. Wu now said his thought and this time, it was Lena’s turn to cough over those words.

“Pa,” Kris exclaimed over what his father had just said. He was speechless over what his father had said; he thought they agreed on giving him time. Kris glanced over to see how Lena reacted; he immediately pats her back seeing how she had difficulty swallowing her water.

“I mean it Yi Fan; I hope your mother agrees with my opinion as well. You don’t have the time in the world” Mr. Wu continued and he was serious. Lena was now feeling intimidated, she could finally understand why Kris had first refused to involve her.

“I would love for Yi Fan to get married but let them be, Pa” Mrs. Wu answered her husband but Mr. Wu immediately shook his head.

“We can’t always let him be, if he has finally found someone, why take all the time in the world?” Mr. Wu looked over to Lena as if asking for her agreement. Lena could only stare at Mr. Wu trying to think of an answer to his statement.

“But Pa, you have to listen to us, please don’t jump into conclusion” Kris now answered for Lena and silently Lena thank Kris for answering.

“What exactly is the problem, Yi Fan?” It was now clear, Mr. Wu was set on his thoughts, “I’m not getting any younger Yi Fan, and you have to take over the company soon. With Lena by your side, you could be seen as a better leader then” Lena started to understand what Mr. Wu was thinking.

Lena could feel Kris getting tensed over what his father had just said and immediately looked over to Kris. “I’m sorry Mr. Wu, it’s all my fault” Lena said without really realizing what she had just said. She was suppose to explain that they had no relationship but her words was the opposite of what they had intended.

“Len” Kris glanced back at Lena and now Lena could fully see how Kris was agitated with the situation but was feeling helpless over the situation as well.

“I’m sure Yi Fan is slow in doing everything, you need to take charge, be honest to her” Mr. Wu then almost critiqued his own son’s attitude. Kris was starting to sweat; he was now feeling like a failure.

“Pa, I’m sure Yi Fan is just giving Lena space” Mrs. Wu tried to save the situation; she could see how Kris was starting to beat himself up.

“Yi Fan has been really understanding over my situation” Lena said, she could not understand why Mr. Wu was thinking negatively of his son, “I was the one who asked for space and he’s been a gentlemen for giving me that, I’m sorry again Mr. Wu” Lena continued and now looked over to Kris again and she could see that Kris’ hands were trembling.

Mr. Wu was now out of words, “Yi Fan has given me nothing but great respect and I admire that of him, he’s been an amazing person, you should be proud of your son, Mr. Wu” Lena continued again, she could now see the dynamic between Kris and his parents, his father especially.

Kris now looked over to Lena and he saw how she smiled towards him, and he felt it; reassurance. He felt it; everything will be alright.

“See, Pa, girls need space for their hearts to open up, we can’t always rush things. Relationships are not like all those business deal you encounter everyday” Mrs. Wu now gave her opinion to help back Lena and Kris, what she didn’t know was how true her words were for her son and the girl he had feelings for.

“Fine but I’m standing by what I had said before, you have three months Yi Fan, I’m giving the two of you three months, if you still can’t decide on your relationship, you better break it off” Mr. Wu now said making Lena speechless. Kris was now more than anything, scared for his and Lena’s life and Lena felt it as well. Lena realized how hard it was to be Kris, she never had that thought before, and he had always been a cheerful person. Lena realized it now.