[5]

My soul mate, my destiny.

 

“Jini!” Mrs. Cho called out from upstairs. “Will you please stir the soup I’m cooking? Thank you.” Jini who’s sitting on the couch and reading a book stood up and walk to the kitchen. She put on her apron and stirred the soup and started humming. When someone suddenly hugged her from the back, she was taken by surprise but eventually recognized the person, feeling its arms around her.

She chuckled and glanced back at the person who’s still hugging her waist. “Eli? Why are you here?” she asked. Eli just smiled, “Surprise!” he said, grinning and kissed her cheek.

It’s been two years since Soohyun left Jini. She was devastated and she almost committed suicide but Eli didn’t left her, he stayed by her side and eventually he fell for her. Jini, on the other hand, refused to say yes, still hoping that Soohyun will come back. Then she found out that the two still have contact with each other, she confronted Eli.

“Why didn’t you tell me?!” She asked, pushing him away and getting teary eyed. Eli moved closer to her, “I’m sorry, I don’t want you to hurt anymore, Jini.” He said, almost pleading. She didn’t believe him and turned to leave but he caught her arm to stop her. “Soohyun is seeing another girl, That’s why he left!” Eli said almost screaming and Jini was shocked at what she just heard that she couldn’t speak. Eli pulled her and hugged her tightly, and she started crying. “I love you, Jini. I’ll make you forget him.” He said.

Since then, they haven’t heard any news about Soohyun. Jini tried to forget him and now she’s dating Eli for almost a year.

“Hey, aren’t you happy to see me?” Eli asked, releasing her from his hug and looked at her, interrupting  Jini’s thoughts. “I- uhm, Yes. I’m happy to see you. But, I thought you’re on an overseas trip?” She asked casually.

Eli laughed softly, “Well, I don’t want to miss out on auntie’s birthday.” He said and held her hand. She smiled at him and turned to the soup she’s cooking.

“Eli!” Mrs. Cho exclaimed as she enter the kitchen. Then both glanced at her direction and Eli paced toward her and gave her a present. “Happy birthday, auntie.” He said.  “Oh, thank you.” The 55-year old lady said enthusiastically. “I thought you’re going overseas?” she asked.  Eli grinned, “I don’t want to miss your birthday, auntie. Mrs. Cho chuckled, “That’s so sweet of you.” She said and took a seat on a chair by the table.

She opened the gift, it was a silver bracelet. A smile crossed her face and few lines curved near her eyes, “Thank you, Eli. It’s beautiful.” She said in delight. She looked at the bracelet carefully, “I remembered Soohyun, he gave me a silver bracelet before too. He’s such a sweet guy.” She said, smiling.

Everybody in the room turned quiet. “Oh,” Mrs. Cho realized what she said and the atmosphere suddenly got awkward. After a minute of silence, Eli broke it. “Uh,  I forgot the cake in the car, I’ll go get it.” He said and walked pass Jini. “Auntie, excuse me.” He added and went towards the door.