[10]

My soul mate, my destiny.

 

“Eli?” Jini called when she arrived at the park. She looked around and her heart sank when she realized that it was the same park where Soohyun proposed to her. “Eli, where are you?” she said, her voice trembling a bit.

Jini almost jumped when someone tapped her on the back. She turned and a skinny guy in a waiter’s uniform was standing in front of her, “Sir said I have to blindfold you.” He said, smiling warmly. Jini nodded and the guy placed a handkerchief over her eyes.

While walking, her heart kept on stomping. It feels like déjà vu of her ordinary day with Soohyun. She shook her head, “No, you’re meeting up with Eli. Nothim, Stop thinking of Soohyun!” she ordered to herself, fighting against what her heart really wants to see. After a while, they stopped, she smelled more tulips. Now it really feels like her picnic with Soo two years ago.

She couldn’t help it, she spoke. “Eli, what is this? Will you stop playing games? This isn’t funny.” She blurted out, not knowing if Eli was there or not. Then she heard the guy’s footsteps, he’s walking away. “Wait, mister! Don’t leave.” She called out, but she didn’t hear an answer.

Out of panic, she removed the blindfold and she looked around. The bright lights made her squint, and she gasped on what she saw next, it’s the same checkered picnic mat, picnic basket, candles and plenty of tulips scattered on the ground. She can’t believe what she’s seeing right now. Her breathing grew faster and she didn’t know how she would react.

“Hello, Jini.” A voice on her side called.

She wanted to run, but she’s frozen from where she’s standing. It felt like her heart is going to explode any moment. She couldn’t hear anything except her chest’s continuous beating. The man standing a few meters away moved forward, and the lights made in possible for her to see him clearly. “S-soo.” She muttered.

Soohyun half-smiled and placed his both hands on his front pockets. “How are you Jini?” He asked, but Jini didn’t answer. “Sorry if I have to borrow you from Eli for a while. I just wanted to talk to you.” He spoke again. She still didn’t say anything, she couldn’t speak. It feels like there’s a clump blocking . She wanted to cry, to scream at the man in front of her and ask him why he left her. But at the samw time, she wanted to hug him, and tell him how much she missed and longed for him.

Soohyun sighed, he moved closer to reach her hand but she quickly stepped backward.

“Jini—“

“Why? Why did you leave me? And why did you return?” she cut him off, looking at him. Soohyun answered her with another sigh. “I know you’re with someone else now, I’m trying—to forget that you left me for another girl, but why? I just want to know what I did—don’t you know how much—“she didn’t get to finish, her tears are just too uncontrollable.

Soohyun’s heart sank, he felt so guilty for leaving her like that. He wanted to kiss her tears away, but he stopped himself. “I was wrong when I left you like that, but I did not leave because I don’t love you anymore. I would never do that.” He said.

“What?” she asked in confusion, “but Eli said—“ she paused and frowned at Soo, “No! You’re lying! Please, Soo. Haven’t you had enough with your lies?”

“Don’t cry, Jini. Please.” Soohyun pleaded. “I don’t know what Eli told you, but I’m going to tell you the truth.” He said then let out another sigh. “I—I was diagnosed with Brain Tumor two years ago. All the doctors said that I have a 70-30 chance to survive. I didn’t see it coming, and I didn’t know what to do back then. I don’t want to you to see me suffering, or even dying.” He cringed on his last sentence.

 Jini looked up and pain and hurt is seen in his eyes. “After a while of being away, I cleared my head, I’ve decided to take a risk and undergo operations though I may die during the operation or I might end up blind. I returned ‘cause I am okay now. The doctors said that the tumor decreased and I was lucky to even be alive until now. “ He paused. “Jini, it’s okay if you’re with Eli now, or you won’t forgive me. It’s alright with me, I’ll accept that.” He said and turned to leave.

“Wait! Soo, I—“before Jini could finish, Eli shouted, “Jini!” he was running towards them from a distance. They both glanced at his direction.

“Eli? What are you doing—“

“Jini, let’s go.” Eli said to Jini when he reached them and grabbed her arm.

“Wait—“

“Shut up!” he cut Soohyun then turned to Jini, “Let’s go home.” He said, pulling her away from the latter.

“No.” Jini stopped walking and removed Eli’s grip. “No, we’re not going anywhere.” She sai d firmly to him. Eli looked at her with a tired expression, “Jini, c’mon. Please stop being so stubborn.” He said. “No, we’re not going anywhere, until I get some answers from you.” She insisted.

“But—“

“Did you lie to me?” Jini asked, and looked at him. Eli was shocked and was speechless. “Tell me you didn’t lie to me!” Jini added, almost screaming at him. “Jini, please. I’ll explain everything to you but not here.” Eli pleaded to her.

“Let her know the truth, Eli.” Soohyun spoke.

“I said shut up, hyung!” Eli glared at him. Then he turned to Jini again, “Please? I’m begging you, let’s go.”

“No. you will answer me now!” Jini said furiously. “Did you know that e had Brain Tumor?” she asked Eli. Soohun waited and he sighed exasperatedly, “Yes.”

“Did you lie to me about him leaving for another girl?”

Eli stared at her in the eyes, he knows it will all be over after this, he gave up. “Yes.” He said dropped his shoulders

Jini sighed and wiped the tears on her cheeks then turned to leave. “Jin, wait.” Eli said, and he caught her elbow. Jini faced him with cold eyes, “We’re through.” She said flatly and slid off her arms away and run to her car. She drove off quickly, leaving the two.