23: Birthday Disasters Pt. 2

P. S. I'm a Wolf
Birthday Disasters, Pt. 2
23
They were hopeful about it the way a child was excited for ice cream. They lived the next days in fear and excitement, anticipating the happiness of Sooyoung's mother living and coming back, welcomed like a hero. They prayed every minute, every second. And then the news came.

She died.

Sooyoung's heart broke. A tear slid its way out of her eye, and suddenly she exploded.

"I should've stayed with her! I should've warned her to be careful! I don't want her to die! No, eumma, you can't leave already...not this early...no, mama..." she sobbed, her eyes frantically searching her father's, which were filled with regret and despair.

Kris pulled her frail body into a warm embrace. Suddenly they were the only two people in the room: a weeping girl and a tall boy, and all that mattered was this. Sooyoung didn't care about her grades, her friends for once. All she cared about was her poor mother's soul. In that moment of light, she saw her mother's heavenly face. 

"Dear Sooyoung, don't cry. I'm in a better place and remember that you can always see me in your dreams."

"But mama, what about the rest of us? This pain is too much for me to bare, eumma...I can't bear it anymore."

The light disappeared and she was back in his arms, gasping on the cold floor.

"Sooyoung..." Kris looked at the shocked girl in concern. "It was bound to happen eventually, and...one day you'll join her in Heaven. She's in a better place now."

Sooyoung pushed him away and leveled him with a piercing glare. "DREAMS AREN'T ENOUGH. I NEED TO FEEL HER EMBRACE EVERY DAY AND HER ANNOYING VOICE TELLING ME TO GET LUNCH AND...AND EVERYTHING...HER TUCKING ME INTO BED AND CLOSING THE DOOR GENTLY, AND- YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND! YOU DON'T KNOW THIS PAIN THAT I'M FEELING NOW. You honestly have no idea, Kris! Try to imagine your mom dying and leaving your life forever, except for some stupid dreams and some-"

She was silenced by the presence of another pair of lips on hers and her eyes widened. Gradually, her tears stopped flowing. It seemed to be forever that they were collapsed on the floor, Sooyoung still in shock.

They broke apart in a hug. "Sorry," Sooyoung mumbled into the warm cotton of his shoulder. "I know. I should be grateful."

Kris caressed her night-black hair, the pain in his heart sharp like shards of glass.