The tragic past

My Immortal Girl

"Seohyun what was that?" Jessica approached Seohyun who was taking out her books from her locker.

 

"Huh?" Seohyun looked at her confusedly.

 

"About yesterday, why did Luhan punch Suho just because he flirted with you? Is there something I don't know about you two?" Jessica asked her as she unlocked her own locker.

 

"Uh I don't know what you mean." Seohyun said, avoiding her gaze. Jessica shrugged her shoulders.

 

"I knew it, maybe he was just pissed about something." Jessica said. Seohyun forced a smile.

 

"Anyway why you didn't return after the lunch break yesterday?" Jessica asked her as she took out her note book from inside her locker.

 

"Um, I went home. I was feeling sick." She lied. Jessica just nodded.

 

"You should have told me. I could take you home." Jessica said.

 

"I haven't seen Taeyeon by the way." Seohyun said as she shutted her locker door.

 

"She won't attend school for today because of what happened yesterday to her brother. Luhan, lets say he punched the wrong guy." Seohyun winced, she hoped that he's okay. 

Seohyun and Jessica were walking down the hallway to their class when Seohyun felt her phone vibrated from inside her pocket. She quickly taking it out and read the text message that was shown on display.

From: Luhan

'Why did you just leave?'

She didn't reply to his message, her heart was beating so fast as her mind wandered back to the night before.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Luhan opened the door to his house only to be greeted by his furious sister. She was standing in the doorway with her arms crossed.

 

"What did you think you were doing? And why didn't you come home last night? Do you even know that our dad had to spend hours in the mayor's office apologizing for something you did?" She yelled at him making her parents came out of their room.

 

"I'm sorry, it's my mistake." He said as he hugged his sister. Taeyeon just patted his back. He pulled away when he saw his father approaching him. He stood in front of him and knelt down.

 

"Dad, It's my mistake. I am sorry I was wrong. Please forgive me." He said as he looked at the ground. His father just smiled as he helped his son standing up.

 

"It's fine my son. You never dissapointed me, I know you learned a lesson from this." Mr. Kim said as he pulled him into a hug. 

 

"By the way I want you and your sister to clean the guest room near the basement right now." Mr. Kim said as he broke the hug.

 

"Is someone going to stay with us?" Luhan asked.

 

"Yes, it's your grandfather." Mr. Kim said. Luhan and his sister exchanged looks before heading upstairs.

 

 

"We have the best father in the world. I thought he was going to punish you after what you did." Taeyeon said, sweeping the floor in the guest room. The room wasn't large and somewhat dark since it had no window. It's located opposite the passage to the basement. Luhan and his sister were wondering why their father chose such a room for an old man. 

 

"Yah Luhan you are so lucky to have such a great father." Taeyeon said as she patted his shoulder.

 

"I know, I will not dissapoint him. I will do anything he tells me to." Luhan said, changing the bedsheets.

 

"Anyways, I don't like the idea of having grandpa staying with us. He's scary and weird." Taeyeon said, continued to sweep the foor.

 

"Taeyeon don't talk about him like that. He's still our grandpa." Luhan said as he hit his sister's head lightly.

 

"You could say that because he's been so nice to you. He always calls you 'my favourite grandchild', and he only has two grandchildren pfft." Taeyeon said annoyingly.

 

"And he rarely smiles at me." She added.

 

"That's because dad always said that you reminds him of his daughter who died long ago." Luhan said.

 

"I know and he reminds me of the creepy guy who was outside my window weeks ago. When I think about it, that creepy guy really looked like grandpa. Those eyes, I can't forget about those eyes. Just like grandpa's."

 

"You silly, why would he even do that?" Luhan said as he walked to his sister.

 

"Because I remind him of his daughter who died long ago." Taeyeon joked. 

 

"Hey, you talk a lot today! Did something happen?" Taeyeon asked him when she realized her brother wasn't cold anymore.

 

"Huh? What? N-no wh-what are you talking about?" He stuttered and laughed nervously. Taeyeon gave him a weird look.

 

"What's wrong with you? I was just asking did something happen that makes you become more talkactive. Yesterday you were still so gloomy and only shrugged your shoulders everytime I talk to you." Taeyeon said, looking at her brother who seemed avoiding her gaze. 

 

"Taeyeon you clean this desk while I go get some blankets and pillows." He said and quickly walked out the room. 

'Okay, he's being weird.' She thought.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

 

"I'm home." Seohyun said as she came inside her house. Yoona came from inside Seohyun's room bringing her dirty uniform.

 

"Seohyun what were you doing last night? Your uniform is dirty. Did you fall down in the mud or something?" Yoona asked as she showed Seohyun the uniform. Seohyun gulped and quickly snatched the uniform from her grip. 

 

"Unnie, it's nothing." She said, hugging her uniform. 

 

"You're like a kid." Yoona laughed.

 

"Were you playing in the forest?" Yoona asked her again. Seohyun nodded her head.

'I wasn't really playing. But it's true I was in the forest,  doing something that would make Yoona unnie go mad if she found out.' Seohyun thought.

 

"Okay, now sit down. I have something to tell you." Seohyun sat beside her.

 

"It's about our old house, I know someone who bought it from Mr. Lee."

 

"Who?" 

 

"Kim Chul. That old man." 

 

"Re-really?" Seohyun looked puzzled.

 

"We have to find out why he sold it to Luhan's father at a low price." Seohyun nodded in agreement.

 

"And, I still want you to tell me why does he only chase you? Why doesn't he also chase Yuri and Sooyoung?" Yoona asked her as she sat closer to her.

 

"I know it's something that related to your past and you never want to tell me about your past but this question has been bothering me so much."

 

"Unnie..."

 

"Please Seohyun, I need to know." Yoona pleaded. 

 

"That's because... my parents...they killed his wife and his daughter." She said quietly.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

 

"Luhan, dad wants to see you in his room." Taeyeon came inside his room and jumped on his bed.

 

"Why?" Luhan whirled around.

 

"I don't know, just go." Taeyeon threw a pillow at him. Luhan stood up and walked his way down the hallway to his father's room. He slowly opened the door to his father's room and sat in front of him who was reading some documents. Mr. Kim took out his glasses and looked at his son.

 

"Luhan my son, here I want you to keep it." Mr. Kim handed him some documents.

 

"What is it dad?" Luhan asked his father as he read the documents.

 

"It's a document about this house. Wait, it says grandpa who bought this house. But you said-" 

 

"Yes, your grandfather who bought this house. He gave this house to us, especially to you. I didn't buy it, and don't tell your mom and your sister about it." His father cut him off.

 

"What does it mean he gave this house especially to me? I don't understand." Luhan was confused.

 

"That is something I don't know. Just keep it and don't let anyone knows about it." Mr. Kim said.

 

"Alright dad."

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

 

"So you were in the forest all night?" Yoona asked Seohyun as she drove her car. She was driving the younger girl to her school.

 

"Unnie you've been asking me the same question for tenth times already." Seohyun complained.

 

"I am just curious because you didn't even pick up your phone." Yoona asked making Seohyun gulped and quickly turned around. She looked out the window and she could feel her cheeks burning.

 

"Don't do that again, I was so worried about you young lady."

 

"I know, I am sorry.." Seohyun said softly.

 

"And about what you told me yesterday. I think I have the right to know about your past."

 

"Unnie..."

 

"I know you will never tell me. I will ask Yuri and Sooyoung." Seohyun sighed.

 

"Here we are." Yoona announced when they reached their destination.

 

"Seohyun I still can't believe you're doing this. You go to school just to see a boy. I wonder what he looks like." Yoona shook her head.

 

"Unnie it's not just because of him. I have always wanted to go to school." She said as she got out of the car. 

 

"Seohyun I'll pick you up at 4pm." She heard her unnie spoke from inside her car.

Luhan and his sister saw her getting out the car as they walked inside the school gate.

 

"Woahh look at that car. Our parents have to save money for years to buy such a car." Taeyeon said as she stared at the car that was moving passed them. Luhan didn't pay attention to her, he looked at Seohyun who was walking towards the school gate. They stared at eachother and quickly looked away. Seohyun quickly made her way towards the school gate without looking at him. 

Luhan went to his seat and looked at Seohyun who was talking with his sister on their seats. He stared at her and when she caught him stared at her, they quickly looked away just like earlier.

'This is awkward.' He thought.

 

 

"Seohyun where did you go that day after the lunch break?" Taeyeon asked making the girl in front of her felt uneasy.

 

"I know you were with my brother." Taeyeon said casually. Seohyun almost choked.

 

"H-how did you know?" She asked nervously. 

 

"I just know it." Taeyeon said as she winked at her. Seohyun bit her lip.

 

"About that, please don't tell anyone that I was with him." Seohyun said. Taeyeon nodded her head. She then remembered something that Luhan told her about Seohyun when she found the strange family portrait with Seohyun's face on it.

 

"Uhm Seohyun."

 

"Yeah?" Taeyeon pinched Seohyun's cheek making her winced in pain.

 

"Owhh what was that Taeyeon?" Seohyun said as she rubbed her cheek. 

 

"It's soft, you don't have any wrinkle! Oh right, you're only 17." Taeyeon laughed awkwardly. Seohyun gave her a look.

'I can't believe she's old. Immortal? Really?' Taeyeon thought to herself.

Seohyun glanced at Luhan who was sitting quietly on his seat and the images from that night appeared. She quickly shook her head and burried her face in her palms.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

 

"Please I need to know." Yoona said to Yuri and Sooyoung who were sitting across her. They came as soon as Yoona called her, but they didn't know that she wanted to ask them about Seohyun's past. The two exchanged looks and let a sigh.

 

"But where's Seohyun?" Yuri asked Yoona.

 

"She said she wanted to go to her favourite place in the forest. Now tell me the full story about her past." Yoona said to them.

 

"Alright we will tell you." Sooyoung said.

 

"It was in 1905, it's a story of two different families. Seo family and Kim family. Seo family was a very wealthy family, they had everything and when a child was born they celebrated it for the whole week. Yuri's parents worked for the family and they also lived there inside their house. My parents were a friend of Seo family and they often invited my parents over. While, Kim family was a poor family but they lived happily together in their small but comfortable house. Seo Soohyuk and Lee Eunsoo were Seohyun's parents, they were cruel and arrogant. They treated people badly, everyone was afraid of them. Once a maid accidentally poured liquid on Mrs. Eunsoo's shirt and the next day, that maid disappeared. No one ever seen her again and was afraid to talk about it. Seo Soohyuk he's the worst, my parents always told me not to look him in the eye. However both of them were only nice to their only child, Seo Joohyun. She was their most precious thing in the world, they gave her all the things she wanted and spoilt her very much. But she was never a spoiled rich kid, we know that she's total opposite from her parents. While Kim family, they were the nicest people ever. They treated other people like their own family. Kim Chul, he wasn't a bad person at all. He was a poor but genius scientist who worked very hard in creating drug vials that could save his daughter Kim Hyoyeon from cancer. He wasn't that poor, but in order to create the drug, he sold everything that he had. When Seohyun turned 15, she became a good friend with Kim Hyoyeon, Kim Chul's daughter. She came to their house 3 times a week and Kim Chul with his wife Yoon Misoo, treated her like their own kid. But when japanese began to invade the area Kim Chul with his family had to find a place to hide, the japanese soldiers needed someone like him since he was a scientist. That's when Seohyun begged her wealthy parents to allow him and his family to hide in their house. They finally allowed them to stay inside their house." Sooyoung took a sip on her water and paused.

 

"And then? What happened?" Yoona asked her eagerly.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Seohyun walked to her favourite place inside the dark forest and sat under the tree. That night was a bit colder and she forgot to bring her jacket. She hugged her body as she leaned against the tree. She was about to close her eyes when she heard someone walking towards her. Her heart was beating so fast, she knew who it was. She slowly looked to her side and there she saw Luhan approaching her. He slowly sat beside her and leaned his back against the tree. Seohyun smiled at him as he looked at her.

 

"Hi." Luhan said.

 

"Hey." Seohyun replied. They both giggled.

 

"Why were you ignoring me today at school?" Seohyun asked him as she looked down on her lap, playing with her shirt.

 

"Because you were ignoring me." Luhan said, giggling.

 

"I was?" Luhan nodded.

 

"Hm maybe, that's because I couldn't face you...you know. It's uncomfortable." She said as she looked away from him.

 

"And I thought you hated me." Luhan said weakly. Seohyun quickly turned her head to face him.

 

"N-no I would never hate you...I love you." She quietly.

 

"What did you just say?" Luhan asked her, grinning. Seohyun hit his chest.

 

"I won't say it twice." Luhan chuckled. 

 

"I love you too." He said before he kissed her forehead.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Sooyoung cleared before she continued to tell the story.

 

"Kim Chul and his family finally stayed inside Seo Soohyuk's house and they treated them bad. But Kim Chul and his family didn't hate them, they were so thankful that they allowed them to stay in their house." Sooyoung said.

 

"Wait, you didn't mention about his son." Yoona said all of a sudden.

 

"Son? Who's son?" Yuri asked Yoona.

 

"Kim Chul's son." Yoona said simply. Yuri and Sooyoung looked confused.

 

"I don't remember he was having a son." Yuri said, shaking her head.

 

"I don't know either." Sooyoung said.

 

"But he has a son. His name is Kim Jongin. 20 years ago I saw him calling that old man 'father'." Yoona said making Sooyoung widened her eyes.

 

"Kim Jongin, that little kid?" Sooyoung said as she turned to Yuri.

 

"Right, I remember that little kid who once hurted Seohyun. She couldn't do anything for a month. I didn't know he was his son." Yuri said.

 

"Wait, I'm confused here. Will you tell me the whole story?" Yoona was confused.

 

"Right, I'm sorry. I'll continue with the story." Sooyoung said.

 

"Just a month after they stayed in Seo Soohyuk's house, Kim Hyoyeon became very sick. Her cancer forced her to stay in a hospital and Kim Chul worked extra hard on his drug vial. One day Yuri and I got a serious disease, we almost died. Kim Chul heard about our disease and he thought about his drug. The drug vials that could save his daughter but he was afraid to use it for he never tested it. He then decided to give us the vials, and magically we saved from the death. He was pleased but then he realized he made a very big mistake. He created the drug that he should never created. He came to us apologized for what he did but we didn't understand why he apologized to us, he was the one who saved us from death. Then he told us something that made us in fear. He told us that we are no longer humans, we didn't understand but now we do. Seo Soohyuk and his wife found out about this and they wanted the vials for them, they told Kim Chul to sell it to them but he refused. He said he must destroy it, Seohyun's parents were furious. They took his daughter and his wife to face him and they killed them in front of him, after that they shot him and threw his body in the woods. But two years later when Seohyun turned 17, she started seeing things outside her windows at night. She saw a guy watching her from outside her windows. She panicked and ran to her parents room, but that happened almost every night. One day, her parents came to her room at night and told her to hide, they said he's coming to kill them. Seohyun didn't understand anything, her parents told me and Yuri to protect her. They gave us everything that we need to take her far away from their house. We did as we told but as we ran through the woods a man caught us, he was Kim Chul. He was no longer a nice old man, his eyes full with hatred. He took away Seohyun from us and went back to the house. He didn't do anything to us, he didn't even hurt us. He just took Seohyun away from us and we decided to follow him. We hid behind a wardrobe when we saw Seo Soohyuk and his wife were tied up while Seohyun was in front of them crying hardly. Kim Chul came to them and killed them in front of their daughter. Seohyun passed out seeing the scene before her, we quickly approached her and held her. We begged him not to kill her. He smirked and said that he will make her suffer before killing her. He injected the vial to Seohyun and said that now she will live in fear, he will hunt her for the rest of her life. If she ever had a lover he will kill him and if she ever had a child, he will kill her child too. Since that day, we promised to protect her. She became like one of us, we don't get old and we only had eachother. That's why we just can't get involved with humans. Especially Seohyun, it's heartbreaking when she had to let go of that Luhan guy but it's the best for both of them. Kim Chul will not only hurt her but he will hurt that guy too. It's not fair that she has to pay for what her parents did in the past." Sooyoung said and tears escaped from her eyes. Yoona just sat there with wide open. 

 

"About a year after the incident we were forced to hide inside a dark cave because the japanese soldiers were taking out people and turned them to be slaves. That's when we found this weird little kid outside the cave, he said his name was Kim Jongin. He just went inside the cave and suddenly stabbed Seohyun in her back. Seohyun at that time was like a zombie, she didn't smile and she didn't want to speak. She kept calling 'mom and dad'. She didn't even realized there was a kid who stabbed her. She was injured badly and she couldn't do anything for a month. Now we know why did that kid hurted her, because he's Kim Chul's son." Yuri said to them.

 

"But how did you know him?" Sooyoung asked Yoona.

 

"He was my boyfriend. We met in the college 20 years ago. He was handsome and it was love at first sight." Yoona said quietly.

 

"What?" Yuri and Sooyoung said in unison.

 

"I know. Shocking right?" Yoona said nervously.

 

"That means Kim Chul gave his son the vial at the age of 20, that's why you met him in the college." Sooyoung said.

 

"That old man, he even gave his own son the drug vial." Yuri said, rolling her eyes.

 

"So that, together they can hunt Seohyun and hurt her." Sooyoung said weakly.

 

"Wait, Seohyun asked me if Kim Jongin was Kim Chul's son that means Kim Jongin also immortal. Why did she say that? Doesn't she know that these things happened because of a drug vial? Not because his father is immortal" Yoona asked. Yuri and Sooyoung shook their head.

 

"She doesn't know." They both said in unison. 

 

"She doesn't know why she became like this. She only knows that Kim Chul made us to be like this but she doesn't know how. And she doesn't bother to ask."