The dark forest

My Immortal Girl

"Taeyeon, what are you staring at? Come on help me with these boxes. It's getting late." Luhan asked his sister as he took two boxes at once. 

 

"Luhan I think I saw a girl walked to that direction." Taeyeon said as she pointed towards the forest across their house. 

 

"There's no way a girl would go to that creepy looking forest at this hour. You must be so tired Taeyeon". He shook his head as he headed towards the house with boxes on his hands. Taeyeon lifted up a box with her hands and following her brother inside their house.

 

"I might be tired but I am pretty sure I saw a girl walked towards the forest". She put the box on the ground and sat on it.

 

"Okay forget about the girl. Have you chosen your room? I have chosen the room with the big balcony." Luhan grinned.

 

"What? Hey that's definitely a girl's room. That room is mine!" Taeyeon stood up and ran upstairs towards the room. Luhan followed her from behind.

Taeyeon shot her brother a glare when she saw his belongings were already in the room.

 

"I'll just paint it with different colour and this will be a guy's room." Luhan pushed his sister out of the room and closed the door. He could heard his sister groaned from the outside of the room. He laughed and proceed to unpack his things.

 

 

The house was a lot bigger than their previous house in Seoul. He wondered how their parents could afford to buy this house, their parents were only school teachers. When their parents were transfered to a smaller town they didn't have any choice but to follow them. 

 

Luhan noticed an old chest in the corner of his room and observed it. 'Weird, the chest is the only thing in this room that doesn't look dirty. Not even a single dust on it.' He thought. It looked like someone had been taking care of it.

He used every sharp tool to open it but it couldn't be opened. He gave up and walked downstairs to join his parents and sister for dinner. 

 

"So how were your first day in our new house?" Mr. Kim asked his kids who hadn't say a single thing since they arrived for dinner.

 

"Luhan stole my room so I'll say my first day in this house is not that great." Taeyeon looked at her brother in annoyance. Luhan stuck his tongue at Taeyeon.

 

"My first day here is good. But dad how did you afford to buy this house?" Luhan looked at his dad then to his mom.

Their parents exchanged looks before they spoke. 

 

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

 

"Luhan isn't it a bit strange that our parents bought this whole house with only that amount of money?" Taeyeon asked her brother as they walked through the hallway towards their rooms. The house was so big that it felt like a long journey to reach their own rooms. 

 

"Yeah but who cares? I like this house and I got the large room". Luhan laughed and came inside his room. Taeyeon rolled her eyes as she opened her bedroom door which across her brother's room.

 

Luhan was walking towards his bed when he noticed that the chest was already opened.

'No. It can't be! I swear it was still closed when I left this room'. He thought and quickly shook his head.

He looked inside the chest and found some books and other stuffs that he believed those belongs to a girl. No wonder because the room he's staying at now was definitely a girl's room before.

He took out a note book and opened it. 

"SJH". He read the initial that written on the book. He found nothing inside the old chest that interested him, he quickly stood up and noticed the door to his balcony was not closed.

'I thought I have closed it before I went for dinner.' He thought.

He quickly closed it and lay down on the bed. 

 

Luhan couldn't sleep that night, he looked at the clock and it was 2am. He got up and headed towards the balcony to get some fresh air. He was standing in the balcony when he suddenly saw a figure of a girl probably around his age walked inside the forest. The forest was just across his house so he could see it clearly from his balcony. 

"A girl? At 2am in the morning? Really?". He asked himself before he wore his jacket and decided to follow the girl inside the forest.

 

'Man I must be crazy'. He thought as he walked inside the forest. The forest was so dark and scary, he regreted his decision already.

He walked deeper in the forest and then he saw the same girl from the earlier. She was sitting under a tree with her back against it. The place around her wasn't dark, the moonlight shone down lighting the dark forest and it was such a wonderful view. No longer a dark and scary forest. He walked towards her, she was humming a song he didn't know.

Most people would find it scary seeing a girl sitting alone in the forest humming a song. But he didn't, instead he found her so captivating. She's so beautiful with her long wavy hair, he almost thought he was seeing an angel. 

The girl noticed him and stared at him with a blank expression. 

 

"Hey, what are you doing here at this hour?" He asked her as he sat next to her.

 

"I should be the one asking you what are you doing here at this hour?" The girl asked him without looking at him.

 

"I... I saw you walked inside this forest and I decided to walk in here too. I couldn't sleep so I wanted to get some fresh air".

 

"So you followed me?"

 

"No I told you I wanted to get some fresh air". He said as he hugged his body, it was cold. 

 

"So what are you doing here?" He asked as he turned to look at her, she was smiling brightly but not to him. She was staring at the night skies. He couldn't help but stare at her, she was so beautiful.

 

"I'm just enjoying the star gazing. And stop staring at me, it's making me so uncomfortable". She said without looking at the person beside him. Luhan quickly looked at other direction. 

 

"Um... I'm Luhan. What's your name?" He finally asked her after a long pause.

 

"Seo Joo Hyun. But you can call me Seohyun". She answered still looking at the night skies.

 

"I'll call you Seohyun then". He smiled awkwardly.

He wanted to ask her many things like her family, her house, her school and other things but he's afraid it would make her more uncomfortable so they just sat there not saying a single thing while looking at the night skies. He decided to ask her about it next time.

 

Seohyun looked at the person beside her before she stood up.

 

"Where are you going?" Luhan asked her as he stood up. 

 

"I'm going home."

 

"But will you be here again tomorrow night?" She nodded and gave him a small smile. She walked deeper inside the forest until she was dissapeared.

 

"So she lives inside the forest? How odd." 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

 

The next day was a busy day for Luhan and his sister. While their parents were at work he together with his sister were in charge to clean their house. The house was big so it took the whole day for them.

Luhan was done painting his own room when the night came by. He took out the old chest in his room and placed it in the storage. 

When he was about to leave the storage he noticed a large family portrait was placed in one of the corner of the room.

'Probably a portrait of the family who lived in this house before'. He thought as he walked towards the portrait to see it clearly. There were two old couple sitting on the sofa probably the parents and two girls standing behind them. He couldn't see their faces clearly because it was covered with dust.

He was about to wipe the dust with his shirt when suddenly his sister came inside the room to tell him that dinner is ready. He quickly left the room and forgot about the portrait. 

 

 

___________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Seohyun sat under her favourite tree but now she's not looking at the night skies, instead she's looking at the direction where the guy came from yesterday night. She hated to admit it but she was waiting for that Luhan guy. She had been sitting there for four hours already and it seemed like the guy isn't coming. 

 

"Pfft he sounded like he was really going to come here again." She said as she stood up and ready to leave.

 

"And why am I waiting for him anyway?"

 

___________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Luhan woke up from his deep sleep by the sound of his sister's loud voice.     

 

"Yah Luhan aren't you going to wake up?" Taeyeon was kicking his leg and pulling his shirt.

 

"I'm up. I'm up. What's with all the commotion?" He was rubbing his eye and trying to sit up. 

 

"We have school today remember? It's our first day in a new school so get your lazy now! I'll be waiting downstairs."

 

Luhan got up from his bed right after his sister was out of his sight. But then he realized he didn't wake up last night to see the girl whom had been in his mind lately. He groaned.

 He quickly changed to his uniform then went downstairs.

 

The day went smoothly for Luhan as he got himself new friends at school. Everyone was questioning him and his sister about why they ended up living in the house which located across the dark forest. And they will just smile at the question. Many scary rumours about that house but they chose to not care about them, they never wanted to give more burden for their parents. Beside they are more than thankful to have good parents like them.

 

"Luhan what if the rumours were true?" Taeyeon asked his brother when they were in his room to do homework.

 

"What rumours?" Luhan asked as he closed his book and faced his sister.

 

"About this house, dummy"

 

"Yah I thought we're agree to not discuss about this ever again." He frowned.

 

"I was just wondering if its true. That twenty years ago the second daughter of this family who lived in this house were killed but her body was never found. And years later after this house was empty, people sometimes saw a girl was sitting in the balcony of this room. And they believe that was the second daughter's ghost". Taeyeon got hit by his brother on the head by a book.

 

"Ouch! Luhan!" She rubbed her head.

 

"Go to sleep. It's late." He pushed his sister out of the room and locked his door. 

 

 He sat on his bed and looked at the time, its 11.24pm. Suddenly he thought about the girl he met in the forest two nights ago. A wide smile appeared on his face as he grabbed his jacket. He wanted to see her again.

 

Luhan arrived at the place that he believed was the place where he first met his angel but this time she wasn't there. He didn't know if she's coming or not but he decided to wait for her anyway.

He sat under the tree and fell asleep.

 

 

Luhan woke up and found that the girl he was waiting for was already there sitting beside him. She smiled brightly at him and he could feel his cheeks burning. 

 

"How was your sleep?" Seohyun asked him as she looked him in the eyes.

 

"It was nice. What time is it by the way?"

 

"Around 3am." She said as she still looking at him.

 

"Um.. why are you looking at me like that?" He felt a bit uncomfortable at their closeness. Her face was like an inch away from his, not that he didn't like it but he just didn't get use to being that close with a girl.

 

"I like seeing your face. You're so good looking." Shades of pink were formed on her cheeks. He could tell that she was blushing.

 

'Okay, did she just confess that she likes me. An angel confessed that she likes me? I felt like in heaven' He grinned ear to ear when he thought about that.

 

"Why are you grinning like that Luhan?" She pulled her face farther from his. 

 

"No-nothing. So you live around here?" 

 

"Yeah. There." She pointed towards the dark forest.

 

"You really live there? With your family?" Luhan looked at her weirdly. Well who wouldn't?

 

"No. I live alone." Now that's even weirder.

 

"What? Alone?" Luhan asked her with his mouth open. Seohyun just simply nodded. 

 

"And why you always here at this hour?" Luhan asked her again.

 

"Because I sleep at daytime." She replied casually. Luhan's jaw almost dropped. 

'Okay this is way too weird' Luhan thought to himself. He started to feel uneasy.

 

"Don't look at me like that. That's because I have to work at night, after work I will always be here." She looked at him innocently.

 

"Ohh that's why." Luhan looked at her and smiled. 

 

"How about school?" He just couldn't stop asking her. He wanted to know everything about her now that he's started to fall for her. 

 

"I don't go to school." She looked down on her lap. Luhan felt that she was feeling uncomfortable so he decided to stop asking her more about it. 

They sat there in silence while staring at the stars, they felt so content with the moonlight as their companion. 

 

 

A week passed and Taeyeon noticed a sudden change in her brother. He always went to sleep early and looked so sleepy in the morning. She found this very odd but she decided not to ask him about it because he looked happier lately. She loves him like her own brother though they are not even related, her father brought him home when they were in middle school. Her father said that his parents died in an accident in Beijing, he became one of the Kim's family member eversince.

 

 

Luhan and Taeyeon were walking home together after a tiring day at school when Taeyeon noticed her brother couldn't stop smiling like an idiot.

 

"Luhan are you okay?" She gave him her weird look.

 

"Ah Taeyeon I think I'm in love." He said as he wrapped his arm around his sister's shoulders. Taeyeon blinked her eyes in confusion. As far as she knows she never seen her brother getting close with any of the girls in school.

 

"With who? Jessica? Tiffany?" She mentioned two girls who are known as the prettiest girls in the whole school.

 

"No not from our school. And to me she's the prettiest girl in the whole world." He winked at her. Taeyeon just stood there, she is more confused now. Then she realized her brother was already meters away from her.

 

"Yah wait for me Luhan!" She yelled as she ran after him.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

That night Luhan waited for Seohyun at now their favourite place. He was standing under the tree with his back leaned against it. He was humming a song when he heard footsteps he's familiar with. He titled his head and he saw an angel smiled brightly at him as she walked towards him. 

 

They both sat side by side under the tree and looked at the night skies like usual. But this time was different, he was going to confess to her that he likes her and he knew that she likes him too, all the stares and all the smiles she gave him were enough to make him so sure that she likes him too. She just hasn't told him yet.

 

"Seohyun." He called her making the brown haired girl looked at him.

 

"Yeah?" She smiled at him.

 

"I like you." There. He finally told her. Seohyun smiled but soon the smile disappeared. She looked down at her lap looking so sad.

 

"Luhan.. I like you too." She still not looking at him.

 

"But we can't be together. You will forget about your feelings for me as soon as I tell you the truth about me." She said sofly almost whispering.

 

"The truth? I don't know what you mean Seohyun."

 

"Luhan I..." She looked into his eyes and they stared at each other.

 

"Luhan I.." She repeated.

 

"Yeah?"

 

Suddenly Luhan's phone rang and he quickly answered it.

 

"Yeah Taeyeon? What's wrong?" He stood up while Seohyun looked at him blankly. She knew that he was in a serious conversation with his sister and Seohyun just didn't know how to react.

 

"Okay I'll be there shortly." He shoved his phone back inside his jacket and looked at Seohyun.

 

"I'm sorry I have to go now. We will talk about this later okay?" Seohyun just nodded. With that Luhan ran leaving Seohyun alone and rushed back to his house.

 

 

"Taeyeon open the door it's me! I'm back." He said as he kept pressing the doorbell repeatedly.

Finally Taeyeon opened the door and quickly hugged her brother.

 

"What happened?" Luhan asked her as he patted her back.

 

"I thought I saw someone outside my window. I was so scared since mom and dad aren't going home tonight. I came inside your room but you weren't there." She sobbed  as she burried her face in his chest.

 

"It's okay I'm here now." He said as he patted her back.

 

"Where have you been? You know that our parents won't be home tonight. Why did you leave me alone in this house?" She frowned as she looked up to meet his eyes.

 

"I'm sorry.." Was all he could said to her.

 

"You've been acting strange Luhan."

 

"I know. Now you need to go back to sleep. I'll sleep in your room tonight." He kissed her head and they both went inside their house.

That night Taeyeon slept on her bed while Luhan was laying on the sofa beside her bed. He couldn't sleep, he kept on thinking about his conversation with Seohyun before Taeyeon called him.

 

'The truth. What could that be?'

 

___________________________________________________________________________

 

 

"Luhaaan." Taeyeon hummed. Luhan turned to look at her. They didn't have school that day and were watching tv in the living room.

 

"What?" 

 

"Can you bring me some water?"

 

"No. I'm not your maid." 

 

"Pleaseee." She was tugging on his shirt. 

 

"Ahh fine." He groaned as he stood up and walked towards the fridge. A moment later he came back with a cup of water and he passed it to his sister. 

 

"Thanks bro." She smiled while Luhan sat back beside her. 

 

"Luhan you know what? My friend at school told me some cool informations about this house." Taeyeon said as she looked at her brother.

 

"I'm not interested." Luhan replied coldly. He never shown any interest to the things related to the house.

 

"Whatever, I'm still telling you anyway." Taeyeon took a sip on her water and looked at her brother.

 

"My friend said that the previous owner of this house were the richest family in this town and they had two pretty daughters. The older's name was Yoona and the youngest was Joohyun. Right, Seo Joohyun." The moment Taeyeon said Seo Joohyun, Luhan had goosebumps. He widened his eyes in horror and he held Taeyeon's shoulders.

 

"Seo Joohyun. Are you sure her name was Seo Joohyun?" He tightened his grip on her shoulders.

 

"Ouch what's wrong with you? Yeah my friend told me that." Luhan stood up and rushed to the storage leaving a confused Taeyeon alone.

 

'No way! No it can't be.' He thought as he opened the door to the storage. But then he remembered about the book he found inside the old chest, it's written 'SJH.' 

'SJH. Seo JooHyun'

 

"No way! She's no ghost." But when he thought about it, him and Seohyun never had any skinship. 

 

'Ghosts can't touch humans.' He thought. If ghosts even exist. 

He walked closer to the family portrait he saw few days ago and he wiped the dust away from it. What he's seen next just confirmed his suspicion. It was a portrait of her smiling beside her sister. Her, the girl he fell for, Seohyun.

 

'Is this the truth she was talking about?' 

 

 

The next day Luhan didn't go to school, he locked himself in his room for the whole day. His parents together with his sister had to knock on his door for so many times until he finally unlocked his door. They were worried about him for they never seen him like that before. He refused to eat and refused to talk. But after four days he slowly cameback to his true self.

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

 

Seohyun kept on glancing to the direction where Luhan always came from. It's been 5 days since Luhan told her that he likes her, she didn't know why he stopped coming to see her but she knew something wasn't right. She was about to leave when she heard a familiar voice called her.

She turned around to see Luhan was walking towards her. He wasn't smiling like he always did when he looked at her. He just looked at her emotionless and it hurted her.

 

"Seohyun..." He started. 

 

"I saw something strange inside my house. I saw your face was in a portrait from 20 years ago." He was trembling, he didn't even look at her.

 

"Are you...a ghost?" He finally looked at her as he took a step back.

 

"Luhan...I am not a ghost. Let me show you." 

 

"What are you doing?" He asked her as she walked closer to him.

 

"Ghosts can't do this." Seohyun reached Luhan's face and she pulled him into a kiss.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

thanks for subscribing, commenting and upvoting :)

I'm sorry if this is not good, It was a bit rushed :(

 

Btw thanks again and tell me what you think about the first chapter. I will do my best on the next chapter :)

 

oh and I love Taeyeon, I love Seohyun and I love Luhan ^^