.

Dangerously Addicted

 

one

Do Kyung Soo

Humans are stubborn. They are actually masochist in nature. No matter how many times they are hurt, they still continue to cling unto the reason they are in pain. That's why I’m sick of being a human. No matter how I wish for it, I’m tired of being hurt again and again. Really, it’s tiring being a human.

I clump some of my hair to one side away from my forehead. Not that I pay attention to how I look, I don't even try to be presentable but I thought I should look proper at the very least.
"I'm  sure you heard about our new CEO." Donghae-sunbaenim said soon as I entered the CEO's office. We walked towards the CEO's table where a man is standing, his back slightly facing us.

Sure I heard about our newly appointed CEO, I even know a lot about him since last week when the rumor about the Chairman falling ill escalated. Not much to our surprise, we were told about his second son to be part of the company.   And of course, every employee of the company started researching about him. His background, his profile, his photos.

His photos, and he was nothing like in his photos.
I can tell, now that he turns to look at us. The first thing I noticed is his skin. He is brown but not dark--- more of a caramel brown.

"Kim Jong In- sajangnim, son of our Chairman Kim. Our new CEO." Sunbaenim introduced him to me nevertheless though he knew I  already know a lot more than sajangnim's name. "President Kim, this is Do Kyungsoo, assistant manager of the operations department." Both of us nod our head for courtesy.

"Please guide me well." He said to me with a half smile. The second thing I noticed is his voice-- does he always have that kind of voice? I don't know, we didn't look up to his videos. He has a handsome face, he has this grace that lets you know he came from a super rich family, and he'll prove it to you the moment you touch his soft cushioned hands, (which I didn't really get to but I just know), every part of him shouts he's rich, all the things and clothes he wears just gives it all and he's tall... if only he isn't straight... oh well.

"Same here. Please guide me well. Sajangnim " I replied failing to drop off the sarcastic way of calling him 'sajangnim'. I can't help it. He's only 20 years old and he already got the CEO's position just because he's the Chairman's son.

He extends his right hand for a handshake which I took. I stiffened, I felt a current run through my nerves when our skin touched. He held the connection lasting than how it seems.

I looked up his eyes... he has those eyes, deep and piercing. When he looks at you, it's as if he's knocking you over by his stare. Like the eyes of a beast, dangerous and aggressive... the type that I avoid the most.
I awkwardly retracted my hand. I pulled the blue notebook I had on my left closer to my chest, ready to jot down notes.

"First off, what do---"

"Let's skip introductions, rather than that, would you give me last month's report?" Sajangnim cuts before I could finish my sentence.

Annoying, I don't even like this kind of introduction thing too, I'm not your freaking secretary. I badly wanted to say that. "Ah, yes sir." I say instead with a smile.

"Pfft--" A held laughter. Then he chuckled. "Sorry, I was just joking. You kinda look too serious so I..." And he pats my head.

I slightly bowed my head down, hiding this transparent blush on my cheeks. What the heck. He already acts so familiar with me.

"Ahahaha, I guess sajangnim also finds you squishy." Donghae-sunbaenim commented on the side, I almost forgot he's also here.

"Ah. Sorry..." Sajangnim held up his hand from my hair, grins and adds, "Let's get along well, ok?"

Really, the type that I avoid the most...
 

 

I'm walking with our new CEO around the building. I don't even know why I'm the one doing this when he has his own secretary or when he could hire some tour guide to show him around the place. He just went like, do you have much to do this morning? Would it be a pain if I took some of your time? I wanted to walk around here. And I'm not sure if the reason I didn't reject him is only because he's the CEO or because I simply can't reject him at all. 

"Most of the employees seem to really know me..."

That's because we Google-d you. "They are really enthusiastic about the new CEO." 

"You're around my age, did you just start working here too?"

"Yes. It's only been a year since I graduated in college."

"Wow! You're really same age as me! Awesome, and you're already the assistant manager!"

I tilted to face him, looking at him like asking if he's serious or mocking because he's younger than me and he's already our CEO, "Not as awesome as you sajangnim." Crap! The words just slipped from my mouth before I could held them in. My cheeks got heated in an instant and I tear away my eyes from him, totally embarrassed by my stupidity. Will he fire me right off?

I heard him sighed, "Well, you know it too, I know how the employees are calling me a parachute.* "
He looked at me and gave me a weak smile. I didn't answer back, I figured it's better to stay silent than to deny obvious lie just to make him feel better. 

Rather than having an adjustment period for him to adapt in his new working place, it seems as if he’s more familiar in here than I am. Ah, seriously… well, having to work under a handsome guy, I can consider it lucky~ but it’s such a waste he’s not into ‘that’ side of the society.
Not that he interests me though. Just dating with a co-worker sounds so stupid enough; dating your sajangnim is even worse than being insane and I’m not stupid enough nor worse than being insane. Plus, I really don’t like his arrogant overly confident attitude. Acting all high and mighty just because he’s rich and all.

 

 

 

"Can't you pretend to enjoy this even a bit?" Junmyeon said while giving me a glass of wine. I took it reluctantly and leaned my back against the wall while blankly staring at the crowd of people wearing luxurious jewelries, expensive suits, and designer shoes. Whenever he asks me out, I'm totally beat; I don't know why I can't reject him.

"You ought to know I hate stuffs like this."

"You were complaining to me on the phone this afternoon about you're additional workload since the new CEO started. I offered you a chillin' moment and you agreed."

"You think this gets me chilled? This is like an extension of my work place. Kindly give me my overtime pay."

"Hahaha, how 'bout you start looking around? You're too good to be a wallflower." He said while he tucks a part of my hair behind my ear.

"How good?" I teased, finally turning to look at him with a sly smile.

"Too good." He chuckled and teased back.

Junmyeon likes taking me whenever there's a company gathering. His company gathering. SG Entertainment. Kim Jun Myeon is the son of SG Group's Chairman, founder and owner of the top grossing  record label, talent agency, producer, and publisher of pop music of the country. And I, an extremely ordinarily plain commoner, met him at some club. Due to my lack of knowledge about influential conglomerates and personalities, it took some few intimates before I got to know that he's insanely mega rich. I broke up whatever relationship we had, or if we had, that instant but he pestered me every single minute to every single place just to make me consider our friendship... with benefit. That's how we ended up as close friends right now.
 

Another reason why I hate stuffs like this is because most likely, that man will show up. That man walking towards us soon as he saw us in the room. He stands tall, and though his eyebrows furrow and every edge of his face is rigid and even if his aura is grueling to the core, he looks stunningly handsome. Park Chan Yeol for me is a man with a familiar face that sends me a familiar feeling running through my body; a man that gets my heart skipping a beat just by the mention of his name, then after, leaving an uncomfortable feeling inside my chest.

"Sorry, I didn't expect this..." Junmyeon said when he noticed me guard up

"You know how much I dreadfully try to avoid him..." I wanted to say a lot of things to enlighten Junmyeon but Chanyeol is already in front of me.

"Kyungsoo!" Chanyeol called my name. He's smiling at me. I noticed some people in the room glancing at us, as if asking who the hell is this brat that Park Chanyeol smiles at.

"Oh." I cut it short afraid how I won't be able to manage my tone.

"What the-- "oh"? After seeing your best friend after many years?" He softly nudged my shoulder and I responded with a casual smile.

"What should I say, idiot?"

"You are still cocky as ever, I see. You just suddenly disappeared and I have no ways to contact you, I only got to hear about you when you became friends with this bastard." He is referring to Junmyeon.

"Wow, that's harsh." Junmyeon answered.

Park Chanyeol is the first person who talked to me when I entered high school. He is my first lab partner in biology class and other science courses. He is my first friend in college. He is my first teammate. He is my first love. It was around our 2nd year in college when I became aware of my feelings for him. After that, days that follow are hell.

"Did you already have a girlfriend?" He asked, plainly.

"No."
Boyfriend, I had lots.

I didn’t let him know a bit of my feelings. He’s just so important that I can’t let him feel heavy from rejecting me. So I swallow it all up in me and eventually, I calmed down.

"Don't tell me you're married?! You didn't even---"
"Idiot, are you"
"Hahaha, I just missed you." He answered back while messing my hair.
Oh. Please.

Junmyeon glanced at me, then turned to Chanyeol and back at me, "Chanyeol-ssi, President Lee seems to be looking for you."

"Oh, sorry. Wait, your number..."

"Huh?"

"Your number, tell me." Chanyeol asked while tapping his phone.

"21xx-xx.." Junmyeon starts reciting his number.

"Not your number, hyung. Kyungsoo, your number." Chanyeol demanded. I gave him my number struggling hard enough to avoid any emotion to slip from each number I utter. "Ok. Saved. Let's continue this later, I need to go there for a while." He excused himself and went towards another group of chaebols.

Junmyeon glanced towards me, not giving me any time to absorb this moment. "He only knows how to smile when he's with you. He almost didn't even notice me beside you. Tell me why aren't you still lovers?"

"Because he's freakin' straight."
 

 

 

Junmyeon took away the glass of wine that I'm holding and I asked the waiter to get another empty glass. 

"Easy. Ok?" Concerned eyes directed at me from across the table. Junmyeon knows about my feelings for Chanyeol.

"Who told you to bring me here then? I wanted to go back home and instead, you bring me here in this grand hotel owned by our troublesome CEO."

"Who knows? Maybe I want to sleep with you in one of the rooms upstairs after dining with you." He flatly declared with a touch of flirt in his eyes.

I shot him a glare. "Maybe I want to sleep with someone right now... but not with you. You know that right? I won't sleep with you anymore."

The moment I gave our friendship a chance, is the moment I stopped sleeping with him. I'm actually not the type who sleeps with just every man. One-night stand, to be honest, has never happened to me. I never sleep with someone I don't like. I need to atleast feel something for him before I get ually intimate with him. It's the same theory with how I never sleep with someone I love.

"Oh, you mentioned about having a new CEO..." He shifted the topic knowing it's hard for me to talk about Chanyeol.

"Right."

"The Chairman only has two sons... who is your president, you say?"

"Kim JongIn!" I uttered his name a bit louder.

"Ooh... so, how's he?"

"Hot."

"Of course. But why aren't you glad?"

"Because he's the typical rich rich guy. And seriously a pain in the ,  my job description doesn't include babysitting Chairman's son-turned-CEO, he has his own secretary. And for goodness' sake, I bet he doesn't even know how to use a photocopier!" 
Which is totally irrelevant because he can have his staff photocopy for him. And yeah, never in my life have I seen CEOs really doing something around the office aside from sitting in their table and signing some documents; not even in dramas. So I wonder why I get so worked up when I could just do my own job and he could just do his own with the help of his secretary.

Junmyeon chuckled, "But you said he's hot."

"Yes, he is dangerously... hot."

I spin my head towards my side. My brain shuts down. My heart that is about to burst falls silent. 

"Heh~ what a surprise."

Kim Jong In said.

I stopped breathing. And I'm just locked at his gaze, at his smirk, at his scent. Why is he standing close to me? 

Probably his presence alone is the reason I get so worked up. I’m sure I somehow felt it way back the first time we met. I felt a small current run through my body. Telling me that something turbulent is about to come. And just like that, I brace myself before it's too late.



---xoxo---
*parachute - someone who got a position in the company just because he/she has a connection. Like the future-in-laws of the Chairman, friends with the Directors, sons/daughters of the stockholders. Mostly viewed in a negative way, as if their skills are not really qualified enough... (sorry, just also got the expression on some kdramas )
thanks for the subs!!! love love love ^^
np: history by beasts