Chapter 9: Changes

WORLD WAR H

Aom

Aom wiped her tears before she released herself from Tina's arm, the rain stopped falling but the cool breeze brought by the summer storm still swept across the field. Aom could feel something changing inside her but she does know what it was. It was more than the emotional pain she is feeling now, no, this is physical pain. She could feel it drilling her skull, she held her head with her two hands, then it all started. The voices started to pour in; some were whispers and some were so loud she could barely hear her thoughts. Why is it so noisy? What's happening to me? A hundred voices bombarded her mind, it was too much. She was about to lose consciousness when she heard a familiar voice. “Aom, are you okay? Hey, look at me. Aom!” Those red eyes. And then everything turned black.

 

Where exactly is this place?” Aom heard the familiar voice again. “We're almost there, I just need to pick her up.” The unknown voice replied. Aom could feel the ground beneath her moving and shaking, then it all came to a sudden halt. “Stay here with her, I'll come with Zee.” She heard the familiar voice again. Zee. Why is that name familiar? Zee... Zee Matanawe Keenan. Our mission! Aom felt a sudden gush of energy and sat up. She found herself inside a vehicle, greeted by Mean's raised eyebrow. “What happened to me? Where are we?” Aom asked Mean. “We're inside Zee's car, you passed out.” Mean replied. “How long have I been out? Where's Tina? Where is this place?” Aom asked as she tries to recollect her memory. “You've been out for six hours. Tina's with Zee, they're picking up Zee's twin sister, Nam.” Mean replied as she pointed at the beach house outside. “Zee has a twin?” That was all that Aom could reply. “Apparently, yes. We agreed, well, me and Tina agreed and you slept, that we'll be bringing her twin along. She refused to come along without her twin.” Aom felt annoyed with the way Mean said it but she was right, she slept through the mission. Then, she realized, the voices were gone.

 

All of a sudden, the car door opened and a beautiful young woman entered. She was about their age, she has the smell of liquor all over her and her black blouse was lousily hanging from her shoulder. “Why do I have to come? Damn it, Zee, the party was just getting started.” The woman said as she sat accidentally sat on Aom. The hell? Aom thought. “Oh, sorry about that. Didn't see you there. Zee, I sat on your friend. Sorry.” Is she Nam? Zee's sister? A bit of a drunk. “Here, drink some water. It'll make you feel better.” Tina handed Nam a bottle of water. “Thank you cutie, I wish my boyfriend could be more like you.” Nam clumsily took the bottle from Tina and swayed back and rested herself on the car seat, giving Aom a clear view of Tina. “Hey, you're up. Are you okay?” Tina asked. Aom could not look Tina directly in the eyes, not after all that had happened, she managed to give her a faint nod. “Good, you gave us a fright back there.” Tina smiled at her like nothing happened. Is she already okay with it? “Time to go kids.” Zee said as she entered the driver seat so Tina entered the passenger seat at the front. Aom followed Tina with her eyes and observed her. Is she really okay?

 

It was almost sunrise by the time they were out of the city, they were driving on the mountain side and they could see the breaking dawn. The air became cooler as they climb higher. “Hey Aom, just to bring you up to speed, we're going to Zee and Nam's house in Nan. We'll be staying there until we can plan on how to get to Sappho. Zee already knows about us, about who we are.” Tina explained. Aom was surprised, it is as if nothing happened. Tina was being Tina. “Thanks for the update. Does she know?” Aom pointed at Nam with her lips. “Uhm, no. She doesn't know yet. She's in one hell of a surprise when she wakes up. Hehe..” She's laughing. I guess that's a part of her powers, even her emotions heal fast. Pie could feel her chest tightening, her emotional pain is mirrored by her body. She thought she and Tina share the same dilemma, but to her surprise, she was alone in this for Tina has already healed. I guess this is for the best. Aom thought.

 

The three-hour drive finally ended, they arrived in this modern zen house overlooking the hills, surrounded by tall pine trees and at the back was the mountain itself. Mean, Aom and Tina were all in awe as they pass through the trees that sentry the a path to the house itself. Tina and Zee worked together on carrying Nam to the house, they found a long sofa and carefully placed Nam there. “That should do for now, we'll take her to her room later. Hah, she's one heavy girl. I apologize for my sister's rudeness last night. She's not like that, really. She's actually a very demure lady, it's just her boyfriend. I swear to God I will break his freakin legs if I saw him.” Zee caressed her sister's cheek and moved the hair on her face. “Now, where were we?” Zee walked towards Tina, Mean and Aom. “As we explained last night, Major Wolfe is currently in possession of your blood, he has weaponized it and he will make sure that no one will else will have it. That is why is after you.” Mean explained. “How can you even be sure that I have those powers? I mean, I saw those weirdos last night but how can you be sure it's me?” Zee replied. “Here.” Tina unsheathed a portion of her katana and cut her thumb. The blood slowly flows from her finger and as she slowly moves farther from Zee, her eyes starts to turn red and her wound heals in a matter of seconds. “Whoa!” A familiar voice exclaimed, unknown to them, Nam has been awake for a couple of minutes now. “You! You're eyes, your finger. That was amazing! Wha-how?” Nam rushed towards Tina and held out her finger and examined it. Then she cupped Tina's face and examined her eyes that are now brown, but then, they start to turn red again, and Tina's cheeks start to turn red as well. What the hell is happening here? Why is she... turning red? Aom's chest tightens. Stop it other Aom, I have made a decision and I will stick to that. “Oh no, you will not.” Her other self replied. She clenched her fists. “Now, do you believe us? Do you understand the gravity of the situation?” Aom blurted out. “Yeah, I do. But, why don't you just stop the war from ever happening? I mean, wouldn't that be better? You could save more lives, plus the three of you will not be enemies.” Zee replied, and that caught Aom's attention. “There's no guarantee in that. We could steer the world in a worst path. Some people that will play a great role in history may never be born.” Mean replied. “Those people who will play great roles in the war? Why not?” Zee replied. “People who will play a great deal in terms of technology and medicine. And I don't mean to be selfish, but that could also mean the three of us.” Zee gave Mean a grin and Mean found it rude. Both Zee and Mean are right, we could prevent the war but what if it leads to a darker path? But what if it leads to a brighter future? What does Tina have to say about this? To her dismay, Nam was still all over Tina.

 

Oh my gosh, you feel.. human. But how is that possible? This is an amazing, we can cure cancer and AIDS with this!” Nam was still not finished examining Tina, she was curious about this “self-regenerating human”. Tina was frozen, she could only smile helplessly as Nam observes her. “Tina, put on your mask.” Mean said. There she goes again, what's with that disease of hers? Aom thought. “Let's talk about this over brunch, I'm starving.” Zee said, leading them into the kitchen.

 

Tina

Her mask was secure, she made sure of that. She could not risk having any accidents here, not while Aom's here. Tina was relieved that her mask was back on but she was afraid of what happened with Nam. It may not be obvious to Zee and Aom but she knew it and Mean as well. Zee was not affected because of her neutralizing powers but Nam was completely captivated. For some reason she was unable to control it and she did not know why. I have to be careful, I will jeopardize everyone if I mess this up. It still hurts though, if only I can heal what I'm feeling right now. I have to pretend that everything is okay, at least until we finish this one. I need to find out about our past, what happened to us? Why are we on the other sides of the world? Am I a Utopian or is she from Eden as well? Tina was disturbed from her thoughts by hand on her shoulder. “Can we talk?” Aom pulled Tina towards an empty room. “Tina, how are you?” Aom asked. Dying. “I'm perfectly fine, why?” Tina gave Aom what she needed to hear, or atleast what she thought. “Nothing. After everything we need to do is done, can we find out about our past? Why we ended on opposite sides. I know I said we should never speak about--” Tina cuts Aom. “Yeah we could, but let's finish this mission first and then that. But what happens after that, are we still enemies or friends?” Tina asked. Aom was silent, she could find no answer to that. Tina looked down on her and messes Aom's hair. “Let's eat now.”

 

Aom

After brunch, they all decided to rest before hatching a plan to contact Sappho. They slept in different rooms. Aom on the other hand was bored, she has been asleep the whole night and now sleep has evaded her. She lied on the bed and stared at the ceiling, she thought about what happened at the Lovapalooza and the vision she saw. After everything is done and when we defeat Wolfe, what happens next? We'll still end up on the opposite sides. Then the scene on the field flashed in her mind again, the moment when she kissed Tina when they were children. This time, it did not end there, she heard someone shout, she felt afraid and angry at the same time. She forced herself to open her eyes and to her surprise, the objects inside her room were floating. She reached for the pen on the study table and she could not believe her eyes when the pen lands on her palm. I did this? I'm doing this? No.. What is happening to me? Aom tries to control her breathing as she looks at the pen on her palm.