Chapter 5: A Secret That Nobody Knows

WORLD WAR H

Tina and Aom have been walking for a couple of days now, they found a survival pack from an old jaeger that crashed about a year ago. The aura around them became lighter as they talk endlessly during their journey, somteitmes they would even joke about things. Aom's hatred toward homos seemed to have vanished as she and Tina got to know each other more during their long journey. Finally, they are only a few kilometers away from the base. Since it was about to rain, the two decided to rest inside an old convenience store before they start their final walk to the Utopian Eastern Post. The two sat across each other, in between them was the survival glow stick and their food, it was quiet, they both just realised it will be their last night together. “Hey, I guess you're excited to get back home huh? See you're friends and get a nice warm bath, that'd be nice” Tina said, tyring to lighten up the mood. “Yeah.” Aom lazily replied as she took a small bite from her biscuit. “The first thing I'll do is take a nice long bath and eat a huuuuuge burger with Mean!” Tina said as she tried to lighten the mood once more. “You seem so excited, why don't you just go now so you can be back faster. There's no need for you to walk with me all the way to the base. I can take care of myself, your Mean is probably missing you.” Aom replied as she turned her back on Tina and lied down on the cold hard floor. What the hell's wrong with me? Why do I sound so bitter. Ugh! What is wrong with her? Doesn't she realise that after this, we will not be seeing each other again except on the other side of the battlefield. Aom closed her eyes and tried to sleep but it didn't come easy even after the long hard walk. “Hey Pie, I.. you know what.. I.. I, uhm.. I will miss you. I will miss this, I just want you to know that.” Tina said as lied down on the floor, turning her back on Aom. Aom raised herself and looked at Tina with disbelief, her face can't help but carve a smile as her cheeks warms up and turn red. She took a biscuit and threw it at Tina. “Hey Kim! Why are you sleeping? Don't you know it's the last time you'll see my pretty face?” Tina turned to Aom. “I thought you were already asleep that's why I tried to sleep too.” Tina said in a confused manner. “Well, I was just testing you.” Aom took the glow stick, pointed it at Tina and grinned. “I want to spend our last night together having fun Kim. Let's play truth or dare.” Aom said. “You're on, princess.” Tina confidently answered. Aom spins the glow stick and it landed on her. “Ha! Karma's a eh? So, truth or dare?” Tina can't help but laugh at Aom's angry face. “Truth!” Aom answered. “That's no fun. Anyway.. What's your real name?” Tina asked. Aom felt dry up. Right, I have not told her my name yet. Should I? Might as well. “My name is..” Tina took a big swallow because she'll finally know Pie's real name. “My name is Aom. So stop calling me Pie, Kim! Now tell me you real name too.” Aom blurted out. “What, what are you talking about?” Tina acted as if she didn't know what Aom was taling about. “Kim,Pie? C'mon.. I know the story. They are the lesbian couple that lived about 80 years ago. Well, Kim was a homo and Pie was a hetero. They are like the Romeo and Juliet of the lesbians, except they did not end in tragedy.” Aom grinned as she points the glow stick at Tina again, she was chuckling as she could notice Tina's embarrassed look behind her mask. “Well, I uh.. I didn't know that. That's just coincidence, the names were just random.” , how the hell did she know that? Should I tell her my name? She did tell me her name, well is it really her name? It sounds familiar though. Ef it, I'll just tell her. “Alright.” Tina replied.

 

Hi, my name is Tina. Nice to meet you.” Tina reached out her hand. Aom looked at Tina's hand for a second and smiled. “Hi, my name is Aom. Nice to meet you too.” Aom grabbed Tina's hand and shook it. “I am smiling you know.” Tina said. “I know.” Aom replied as she smiled back. It was only after a minute before they realised that they were holding each other's hand, both of them let go quickly and awkwardly. Tina took the glow stick and spins it, and it landed on her. “Well well, karma really is a eh, Tina?” Aom grins and Tina scratched her head. “Truth then.” Aom smiles. “Well, what is your disease that is so viral that you need to wear a mask?” Aom finally asked her question and Tina was take aback. No, this one I couldn't tell her. “I can't answer that. Consequence it is, I guess.” Tina replied. “I'm not going to judge you Tina, I just want to know. We may have a cure for it back home. But, if you're not comfortable talking about it, it's fine. Consequence then.” Aom replied and Tina could breathe easier now. “Remove you mask.” Aom finally said Tina's consequence. “What? You know what will happen if I do. Taking it off once was a mistake.” Tina replied. “Tina I may already have it. Being with you for so long and all. Did you think that mask will hold your disease for so long? Come on, I just want to see your face one last time. Please.” Aom explained. What the hell am I saying? Aom thought to herself. You do have it, Aom. And I hate my powers for that. I don't want you to like me just because you're under my spell. this power, I hate this curse. Tina thought to herself as she slowly unlocks her mask. Her heart was beating fast, and she could hear Aom's heart beating fast too. Finally, she was able to remove her mask. Aom looked at Tina's unmasked face. She looked at her lips, nose and finally her eyes. Everything became quiet, even the pitter patter of the rain vanished completely. Aom could feel her heart beat faster and her cheeks warm up. She could see Tina's eyes turn red and in a heartbeat, she was touching Tina's face and she could see her eyes slowly turn brown to her touch. Her lips were about to reach for Tina's but Tina suddenly spoke, her voice was raspy. “Aom..” She stopped, Tina turned her head gently with her hand. What Aom saw shocked her. Everything around them was floating, even the rain outside seemed to froze in time. Everything fell to the ground when Aom removed her hand from Tina's face, even the rain starts to pour again. Tina quickly puts her mask back on. “Was that you Tina?” Aom was scared and confused. “No, it's not me.” Tina replied. Oh my God, was that her? It's definitley not me. I would have known if it was me. Is she.. no, there's no way. She lived in Utopia all her life. Could my pheromones woke up her dormant side? Tina thought, she was confused as well. “Let's go to sleep, we must be tired that's why we're seeing things. Goodnoght, Aom.” Tina tries to brush off what just happened. This is bad, her constant exposure to me is not good for her. She almost kissed me. If only I did not have this curse, I would have kissed her. If I kissed her then, knowing she's just under my spell is just wrong. We can never be, she's Utopian and I'm a daughter of Adam and to top it all, this stupid pheromones of mine! Tina thought to herself as she lied down, trying to catch sleep before their departure.

 

What is happening to me? I almost kissed Tina, am I becoming a homo? And that, I swear I felt them rising up and when they fell, I felt like I released them. Oh no, I cannot be a homo. No. My mother, what would she say? She cannot have a daughter like me, no. Utopia's fuhrer cannot have a homo for a daughter. Why do I feel like this towards her? I had a boyfriend back home, but I never felt like this towards him. Have I always been like this and I just never realised it? , ... I'm sorry Tina, I don't know what to do. Aom clenched her fist as tears drop from her eyes. The glow stick's light is slowly dimming and the pitter patter of the rain is the only thing can be heard. Finally, sleep has visited the confused Tina and Aom. They were both dreaming the same dream:

 

The smell of dew fills Aom's nostrils, the warm sun was on her shoulders and the grass beneath her feet were dancing to the tune of the winds. She was picking flowers and tying them together to make a ring. Tina heard Aom calling her name, she ran towards her and saw the beautiful flower rings Aom made. “I saw mom and dad doing this in their wedding video. Mom said that it means they will be together forever.” Aom slid the flower ring on Tina's finger. “It's your turn now.” Aom said, so Tina slid the flower ring on Aom's finger. “Alright, it's done! We'll be friends forever now!” Aom hugged Tina tighly and Tina hugged back. “Oh, I saw one more thing on the video.” Aom said. “What is it?” Tina replied. Aom moved her face closer to Tina,she closed her eyes and reached for Tina's lips. Their lips slowly connecting, their hearts quickly binding. Then everything stood still, as if time froze. Everything except for the man who's shout broke their kiss. “What is the meaing of this?!” Then everything became a blur.