Chapter 1: The World We Live In

WORLD WAR H

2115

EDEN

“I saw mom and dad doing this in their wedding video. Mom said that it means they will be together forever.” The beautiful little brown haired girl said to me as she slid a ring made of flowers on my ring finger. “It’s your turn now.” I slid the flower ring on her ring finger. “Alright! It’s done! We’ll be friends forever now.” The girl hugged me and I hugged her back. “Oh, I saw one more thing in the video.” She said. “What is it?” I asked. She was moving closer to me and then… RIIIING! I was awakened by the sound of my alarm. The green meadow in my dreams was replaced by gray and white walls. I wore my long sleeves, pants, boots and then my scarf and gloves. Lastly, my half mask, covering my nose and mouth. It was a necessary protection, not for me but for people around me. My body emits pheromones that make people fall in love with me, and in turn, I can control them. My clothes are made of special materials that trap my pheromones, but sometimes it’s not enough. My power is at its peak when I’m emotional, it happened one time and it was a total nightmare! But anyway, I’m controlling it now; I’m training to make my pheromones a weapon as much as my other powers.

Tina’s quarter was an air-tight sealed room. She has her own hall way and everyone in that wing was required to wear an air filtering mask. Tina entered the training grounds and there she met with Colonel Mean Appitha. She has been assigned to train Tina into the perfect assassin to eliminate the Hetero leaders. Tina has the power of heightened senses, agility and strength as well as healing, and of course, the love pheromones, earning her the nickname Vampire.

“Alright Tina, breathing and warm up exercises and then we’ll practice focusing your pheromones on one target, and today’s target… is Me.” Tina was shocked as Col. Mean removes her mask and enters the room. Mean was powerless but she is a brilliant trainer, what she lacked in powers she made up in brilliance in tactics and in training. Some say that was her power but she just brushed it off, she said it was just hard work. Mean has been training herself to resist Tina’s pheromones for months using Tina’s blood sample, and now, she gets to test herself as well.

UTOPIA

Aom tied her brunette hair and put one her earphones, she checked the laces of her shoes and then turns on her music. She began to jog around the park in the Jaeger Base V. “Good morning Captain! Monrnin’ Cap!” A squad of trainees greeted her as she passed them by. Then she makes her way to the Jaeger Hangar, still panting and sweaty. “Mornin, Cap! Came here for your breakfast?” Joe the mechanic said as he slides away from the enormous damaged engine. “Mornin’ Joe! Yup, is my baby ready?” Aom greeted Joe back. “Of course, anything for you Cap, she’s right here.” Joe leads Aom inside the main hangar and there stood her Jaeger, a white robot armed with machine guns and missiles, on its right arm a pink butterfly was painted. Aom quickly rode the elevator to the cockpit of her Jaeger and just before it lifts, Joe threw a bag and Aom caught it. “Thanks Joe!” When the lift reached the cockpit, Aom took the keys from her pocket and clicked it to open the hatch. She went inside and sat on the chair, put on her safety belts and then she powered its engine. As the engine opened, the targeting system, power and damage gauge came online as well as her GPS. Then her Jaeger started to make its way outside the hangar and as soon as it’s clear, her Jaeger’s boosters fired up and she was flying. Aom loved flying around Utopia, the uncorrupted half of the world, untouched by Homos, whenever she is up here, she is reminded of what she is fighting for and what monsters she is protecting her home from. On the far east of Utopia, there lies Eden, the residing place of the Homos, a dark place ravaged by nuclear storms. Their world is divided by barren radioactive wasteland filled with mines and guards to prevent unwanted enemy entering their haven. Utopia is protected by a force field generated by machines, preventing the radioactive air to enter their atmosphere. “Peace and quiet at last.” Aom said as she lands her Jaeger on top of hill, below it was the sea. She climbed down from her machine and sat on the sandy shores and ate her breakfast. I wonder, how do my enemies start their mornings? She thought.

 

EDEN

“Come on Tina! You can do it, just focus!” Mean encourages Tina as she walk pass six men and six women standing in two files and at the middle, stands Mean. The purpose of this exercise is to use the pheromones on one target only. She failed her last exercise. The six men and women including the target tried to kill each other, competing for her. All of them were severely injured but fortunately, no one was killed. Keep it calm Tina, you can do it. She can feel her body heating up, and one of the girls blushed and looked at her with desire. Tina noticed it so she took a deep breath and cleared her mind. Soon, the girl was back to normal. And then she looked at Mean, her target. Her irises start to change their color, from brown to red. Mean starts to sweat; her face starts to turn red as Tina approached her. Then, Tina knew, Mean was under her spell. To test if it had worked, she moved closer to Col. Mean. “Col. Mean.” Tina said in a seductive voice. “Y-yes.. T-tt-Tina?” Mean stutters as she replies. “How are you feeling Colonel?” Tina asked as she touches Mean’s chin. Let’s try to power up and see if I can do more. “I’m fine Tina. I’m not feeling anything. Hehe.. Try harder.” Mean laughed at Tina. Darn, I thought I’m doing it right. “That’s not fair Colonel!” Tina pouts, and then she removed her mask, revealing her handsome face. It was Mean’s first time seeing Tina’s face and it caught her off guard. This time, Mean is truly under her spell. “How do you feel now, Col. Mean?” Tina asked. Mean sweats more and her face turns redder and redder. BOOOOM! BOOOM! BOOOOM! ALERT! ALERT! ALERT! The floor starts to shake as small debris fall from the ceiling, the lights flicker and the alarm starts to sound. “We’re being bombed! Man your battle stations!” One soldier shouted.

 

UTOPIA

Aom came back to her apartment; she took a bath and changed into her uniform. Then, the alarm sounds. She quickly grabbed her keys and went out. She asked one of the rushing soldiers what is going on. “Ten Category 3 and one Category 4 Homos are crossing the No-Man’s-Land, joined by two carrier ships.” Aom ran towards the hangar and went inside her Jaeger. Inside her cockpit, the commander of the Border Fleet came online to give her orders. “Captain, that Category 4 is to be kept alive. He is to be taken as a prisoner; this order came from the brass.” The commander said. “Alright sir.” Aom then addressed her men. “Alright men, the Category 4 is to be kept alive. Study the enemy first before engaging to find it. No one kills anything without my leave, understood?” “Yes Captain!” They all replied. Aom and her company consisted of 25 Jaegers set out to the No-Man’s-Land.

 

EDEN

“We’re not being bombed. Its Dane, she’s at it again. Damn it, she’s wasting lives.” Mean said. “Tina, stay in your quarters, do not leave there until I say so. That’s an order.” Tina puts on her mask again and then heads to her quarters, on her way back, a large chunk of rubble fell in front of her and soon the ceiling collapsed. Outside she saw Dane, flying and shooting thunderbolts and then she saw the black machines, the Jaegers, led by a white Jaeger. Tina went up to get a closer look; it was her first time to see a Jaeger up close. The Category 3s are spread around engaging the Jaegers and soon, the white Jaeger starts to engage Dane, the Category 4 Homo. She is one of the few to possess a Category 4 level of power since the Purge. The white Jaeger swings its arm and hits Dane, causing her to fall. Dane’s an idiot but I can’t let her die. When the white Jaeger was about to grab Dane, a Category 3 hit it with rocks, Tina took advantage of the distraction and ran towards Dane. She grabbed her wounded comrade and hid her inside the vent, she was about to hide herself but something grabbed her.

 

Author’s Notes------------------

The Homos are categorized according to their powers. 1 being the weakest and 5 being the strongest. Only one Homo reached the Category 5 level, it was Sappho. Tina is a Category 3.