#8

Doctors

It was exam season and in two days, they are going to do their Chemistry exam. Minho asked her to help him with the subject since he didnt understand it very well. And she agreed to do just that.

Now, her new student, Minho, was sitting next to her in her living room, whining about the Organic Compounds that he was failing to understand. She stiffled a laugh and looked at him. "This is actually not that hard Minho-yah.. you just have to remember some stuff about it,-"

Minho raised his finger to her lips and shushed her. "Don't say that.."

She looked at him with a confused look, slapped his finger away and asked, "Dont say what? I didnt say anything wrong." He glanced at her sorrowfully and then went back to stare at the chemistry book infront of him. "Don't say that it's easy.. It just makes me feel so dumb."

Saehyun laughed and tousled his dark-brown curls with her fingers. "Come on Minho, we both know you're not dumb. You're really smart, and you're going to be a great doctor." she said encouragingly,

He smiled at her and then put an arm around her shoulders. "Thanks Saehyun-ah. But first, let's worry about chemistry."

She nodded and pointed her pencil towards a page from her textbook. "So.. Out of all the Organic Compound Families, Alkanes are the simplest Hydrocarbons because they have only single bonds. That's why they are called saturated or stable, because of their single bonds. While Alkenes have double bonds, and that means they're not saturated.." and she continued teaching him for a while.

Saehyun and Minho studied a few more hours before they decided to take a break and grab something to snack on. She went to the kitchen to heat up some popcorn and came back 3 minutes later with a bowl full of them.

"So.. Saehyun-ah.. This one is called '2,3-ethyl, 4-methyl butanoic acid' ?" Minho asked, referring to a question in one of the textbook's exercises. She beamed proudly at him, "Correct! You're getting the hang of this."

He smiled to himself and then to her, "All thanks to the teacher."

They both dug in the popcorn, as she pulled out two cans of coke that she took earlier from the fridge. "Here, let's have a toast. Good luck to your exams!" she said, lifting her can up in the air. He shook his head and opened his own. "Your cheer ."

She looked at him in annoyance. "Then what do you reccomend we cheer for, genius?" Minho tapped his cheek, thinking hard. 

"To Doctors!" He exclaimed, lifting his can up. 

She clinked her can to his and repeated, "To Doctors."

 

------------------------------------

 

The next day was the day of their English Literature exam and Saehyun was nervous all over. Since you cant really study for english, it makes it even more stressful, even though Saehyun was the best in her class. She looked around the exam room and saw that her friends were as nervous too. She could see Na Hyungsoo fidgetting in his seat, Sunjoo was biting her nails and Mimi was.. sleeping?

That is so typical of her. Saehyun thought as she straightened her back.

The rest of the grade 10 were seperated into other exam rooms, and Minho was in the room next to her, together with Rena and the 2 fangirls. The exam rooms were mixed with students from different grades to prevent the students from cheating.

There was a 7th grade girl sitting infront of her and an 8th grade boy behind her. Students from the same grade were seated very far from each other. For instance, Mimi was at the other end of the room, across from her.

"Children, remove any papers or notes that you have with you and please, go to the bathroom now, because we wont let you go later during examination hours." The exam supervisor of their class said. Some of the students took their papers from their desks and headed outside to put it in their bags. Saehyun just sat there, since there was no study material for English Literature.

As soon as the clock read '08.00' , all the students opened their papers and started working on it. The 7th graders were having their biology exams, 8th graders were having their math (they were already groaning from the torture after about 15 minutes) and the 9th graders had physics.

Saehyun did her paper that contained 3 sections, and she was supposed to choose one question from each. Every question has to have an essay answer with 450 words each. So it was hard work.

Her hands kept on writing and her brain, storming up with new ideas for every question. She did pretty well, if she did say so herself and was done within an hour and 25 minutes. The exam was 3 hours long so she simply checked her paper and slept the rest of the time away.

In the end, she submitted her paper and went out of the exam room with a couple of her friends who were also done with their papers.

"That was easier than I imagined," Na Hyungsoo said to her as they grabbed their bags from their lockers. She nodded. "Yes, definitely easier. Why would they give 3 hours for us to do it?"

He shrugged. "Hmm, I dont know about that. Oh, which questions did you choose?"

Saehyun bit her lips, trying to remember. "Umm, for Section 1 I did question A, Section 2 I did question D and Section 3 I did question B. I think.."

He took out a gum from his pocket and ate it, chewing as he talked. "Oh, for Section 2 I also did question D. It was the easiest one right?" She nodded again. "Yes, it was only describing about what we think our safest place in this world is,"

"So, Saehyun-ah," Mimi said, "What did you choose for the 4th question?"

What?? What 4th question?

"There was no 4th question." she said absently, still confused. Her friends looked at her with worried expressions. "Saehyun-ah.. you didnt see the instructions?" Sunjoo asked.

She looked at her friends unbelievingly, "Ofcourse I read the instructions. How could I not?"

Mimi held her shoulders as if she was calming her down. "Under the instructions, there was another sentence way at the bottom. It said that we have to do a 4th essay and we can choose any topic we like from the 3 Sections. Dont tell me you havent-"

Saehyun ran back to her examination room in panic and opened the door. She saw the supervisor staring at her in shock while the remaining students looked at her as if she was crazy. "Sir, I- I have read the papers wrong, and there's still time. I didnt see there was another question, can I please- please do my paper again?" she adressed the supervising teacher. "I beg you."

The teacher looked at her mercilessly and said, "I'm sorry, I cannot let you do that. When you submitted the paper, you cannot take it back in case you might've cheated."

She looked at him in bewilderment. "How can I even cheat? This is english literature, we can't possibly cheat in such a subject!" she exclaimed out of desperateness. "And besides, I told you I didnt see the question. How could I cheat when I didnt even know the question?"

"I'm sorry Miss Kim Saehyun, I will not let you re-take this test. Talk to the Vice-principal about this issue." The teacher instructed. She stormed out of the room, holding back her tears. How could she be so careless? How in the world did this happen to her?

At the end of the stairs to the third floor, she saw two other students that were also panicking. It was Choi Minho and his bestfriend, Song Anna. "Saehyun-ah! did you do the fourth question?" Anna asked her.

She just shook her head violently in reply, not being able to speak after all the running. "You too?! Oh my god, this cannot be happening right now!" Minho shouted in frustration.

Song Anna covered with her hand, "I really did not see that last question. Oh no, I simply can't afford to have my english grades less than 80! I've never got anything below 80!!" she crouched on the floor, calming herself down. Saehyun went to her aid, patting her back in a calming motion, even though she was close to tears herself.

Minho paced around in circles, trying to figure out a way to solve this rationally. "How.. How about we talk to our english teacher. Because I know for sure that our Vice-principal would never let us retake the tests." The girls just nodded at his suggestion.

And so, they headed to their english teacher's office, all three of them. On the way, Minho laughed. "This is ironic, dont you guys think? We're some of Mrs. Noh's best students but we're the ones ending up losing marks in the exam because we didnt see the instructions properly." The two girls glared at him in return and he shrugged. "I was just saying.."

Mrs. Noh was at her table, reading a novel she borrowed from the library, when three of her students came in panting hard and looking like there was a zombie apocalypse outside. "Umm, hello children, how was your exam?" she asked.

Song Anna started having a melt-down while Minho and Saehyun explained about what happened. Mrs.Noh looked at them apologetically, "I'm sorry kids but there is nothing that I could do. If I had the authority I would let to re-take the exam.. And ofcourse I know that you'll never cheat, but I truly apologize."

They all looked like they had been sent to hell. Anna started crying while Minho and Saehyun just stood there unemotionally. "But," Mrs.Noh suddenly said, "For Anna and Minho, there is hope for you because you still have the 10 extra marks you earned by being in my Macbeth play last year." She turned to Saehyun and said, "But unfortunately, Saehyun wasnt it the play, therefore, not earning any extra marks. I am so sorry sweetie I wish I could help you."

Anna stopped crying and looked a little relieved, so does Minho. They looked at her anxiously, feeling sorry for her situation.

Saehyun held back her emotions and tears and struggled a smile. "It's okay maam, it was my fault for not being careful, Thankyou." then she walked out of the office, and headed further near the girl's bathroom on the 2nd floor, so nobody could see her cry.

Just as she was about to go in the toilet, she felt a hand holding back her arm and then gently, the hands reached further infront of her and locked themselves. Long arms were looped around her waist and she could feel a broad figure closing in on her. A chin was rested on her shoulders, nuzzling in her hair.

"Saehyun-ah,"

It was Minho. She put her palms to cover her lips and cried silently. She had never failed in english, and she never planned to. She was having all sorts of emotions. Sadness, Anger, Desperateness, you name it. But Minho's hug was comforting to her. He didnt say anything, so she didnt also.

He knew that she wasn't feeling like talking about anything, so he comforted the sobbing girl with silence and a warm embrace.

It was after some minutes that he turned her around to face him and looked into her face. He raised his hand to her cheeks and wiped the tears from her face. "It's okay now. You can rely on me." She wrapped her arms around his waist and started crying loudly into his chest.

"Oh, um... I'm sorry. I didnt mean to make you cry.." He patted her back rapidly out of panic. "Please,.. please don't cry.."

After a while, her crying ceased down and Minho smiled in relief. "There you go." he said as he her hair. "There you go."

She let go of him and turned around to wipe her tears. She quickly went into the bathroom, embarassed about how she cried infront of him. Saehyun the faucet and splashed some water on her face, hoping it would make the red-ness fade away. She looked into the mirror and still it was red, no such luck.

Finally, she went out of the bathroom and saw Minho leaning back on the wall. He noticed her and smiled, taking her hand. "Wait, where are we going?" she asked.

"As I said, Kim Saehyun, You can rely on me." he winked. She rolled her eyes at him. This was not the time to joke around with her, if he was just doing this for fun, she will kill him.

They went back upstairs, and to Saehyun's despair, Mrs.Noh's office. The teacher looked at them questioningly and asked, "Yes, what is it that you need with me?"

Minho tilted his head to the side, gesturing to Saehyun. "About the 10 extra marks I got because of the play,.." he paused  for a while. "Can you please give half of it to her?"

Mrs.Noh blinked her eyes and said, "But- Are you sure.. It will have effects on your grades, Mr.Choi."

"Yeah, I'm sure. I'm okay with bad marks in English, but it's really important to her. So- I wil appreciate it if you give it to her." he said seriously. Saehyun opened in protest. "No, I dont want it. It's not fair if I just take it. You worked hard in the Macbeth play, you deserved it."

Minho looked at her, "It's my marks, my hard work, as you said earlier, so I can choose what to do with it. Let me help you Saehyun-ah."

She shook her head, tears swelling up her eyes. Minho smiled, "I'll take that as a 'thankyou'."

Mrs.Noh looked at Minho seriously in the eye, "Are you sure about this?"

"Ofcourse." He replied.

 

------------------------------------------

 

Choi_Minho

Hey,
Are u ok?

I'm fine hahaha
                        Thanks for what u did earlier.
                            But u shouldn't have bothered..

It's fine, hahah
I dont care about english lit as much as u do.
;) dont worry.

                                                                                Really?
                                                                                       Thankyou :]

Urwelcomee
So.. heheh
You cried

Omg Minho-yah.
                       Can u keep that between us?
         That'd be great. haha

Hahaha loll
You were so cute tho xx

      Umm, it wasn't cute.
                 It was embarassing, haha

It wasss
First u were sobbing silently, having
hiccups and stuff.

                                                                                   OMG stop.

And then u hugged me and
started crying loudly
Like a baby.
Hahaha u crybaby.

STOPPPPP
MINHO-YAH

U know what u sounded like??

         No. I dont.
                                     And i DONT want to know.

U sounded like donald duck.

       Whatt. wtf whyyyy
  No I did not. :/

Wuaaaaaaaackkkkkkkk
wuahhhhhhhhhhhhh
But still.. so cutee hahaha

                            Oh, for the love of god..
                Shut up hahaha
          You weirdoo

Admit it Kim Saehyun..
You love that about me ;)


-----------------------------------------