#12

Doctors

"Well it's a big, big city and it's always the same~ Can never be too pretty tell me your name~ Is it out of line, if I were simply bold to say would you be mine?~"

 

I abruptly looked to the stage when I heard Minho's deep voice resonating across the room. Was it?

It was.

I felt the edges of my lips inching upwards, he was singing 'Whistle for the Choir'. And he was also looking at me from his spot, serenading the lyrics playfully. 

 

"You're so sweet to try, oh my, you caught my eye, a girl like you's just irresistible~ " 

 

Sunjoo saw my expression and asked, "Are you okay? Saehyun-ah, you're really red!" I didn't take my eyes off the stage and shrugged off the question, not being able to form any sentences at the moment.

 

"And it's you, woohoo~ That's got me going crazy for the things you do~ "

 

She turned her head to the band that was playing and saw Minho singing sweetly. Sunjoo looked back at me and back again, at him. 

 

"So if you're crazy~ I dont care you amaze me~ Oh you're a stupid girl, oh me, oh my you talk, I die, you smile, you laugh, I cry~ "

 

I laughed, the lyrics somehow do match us. It matched Doctors. Sunjoo pointed her fingers accusingly at me, "It's you! Is he singing that to you? You two have been staring at eachother for the longest time!" I glanced at her for a bit and nodded, resulting in Sunjoo's squeals.

 

"And only, a girl like you could be lonely~ And it's a crying shame, if you would think the same~ A boy like me's just irresistible~"

 

"Oh my God this is so adorable!" Sunjoo exclaimed. "Now, why can't you do that for me?" she said to her boyfriend. Na Hyungsoo just shook his head, "See? It's guys like him who gives guys like me a hard time. The female expectations are too darn high!"

 

"And know me~ No you don't even know me~ You're so sweet to try, oh my, you caught my eye~ A girl like you's just irresistible~"

 

When the song ended, I clapped along with the audience and saw Minho and his band-mates head down the stage. I stood up and left Sunjoo with her boyfriend. Pushing myself through the swarm of people, I was focusedly searching for him when I bumped into someone. I muttered a 'sorry' and proceeded to go on but paused when I saw his face infront of me. 

With reflex, I looped my arms around his neck and heard his laugh next to my ears as I hugged him. He instinctively put his arms around my waist as he said, "So, I guess this is a thankyou?" I nodded, my head moving against the crook of his neck. I felt him spread yet another smile (how was I even able to do that?) and gently took my left hand away from him.

Then, he held my hand in his as my other one hang loosely on his neck. He cleared his throat, making me surprised. "What?" I asked.

He tilted his chin upwards towards our intertwining fingers. "Aren't we supposed to dance now? Or should we just stand here like statues?" he smiled innocently.

I playfully glared at him, laughing afterwards. "I'm sorry. I'm just so silly sometimes."

"That's okay, you still amaze me." he replied, quoting the song. I scrunched up my nose at his cheesy-ness. "Alright, stop it." I said, chuckling at my own words. Then, he shifted his right foot forwards, starting to dance.

I followed his lead and soon after, we danced naturally to the song. It seemed like we spent hours dancing together until the last slow-song signalled the official end of our prom. 

 

---------------------------------

 

"Aren't you cold?" Minho asked when I noticed him eye-ing me down as we walked back to my house. I snuggled in my coat, "Nah, not really. This coat is warm enough." I assured him. He tapped the tip my nose with his index finger and smiled adoringly, "Your nose is red though, cutie."

I reflexively covered my nose, "Really?"

He laughed as he took his winter coat off his shoulders and attached them to mine. "There you go." I looked at him, "You don't have too, you know, and I can see that you need it more."

"Hey, I'm not the one that looks like Rudolph's second cousin." he retorted, "And by the way, doctors shouldn't get flu."

I smiled good-naturedly at him, "Thanks."

To our benefit, my house isn't that far away from school and is easy to reach. When Minho asked whether he should bring a car to pick me up to prom, I denied, saying that we'd better off walking since it was close anyways.

We walked in silence, enjoying the night atmosphere of the neighbourhood and the stars that were decorating the darkness. His hand reached for mine and finally laced them together. For some time, none of us said a word, until Minho decided to break-out a conversation. "So, Saehyun-ah.."

I tipped my head to the side, urging him to keep talking, in which he did. "About me being selfish-"

"You're not." I interjected.

He shook his head slightly and sighed. "I am. You just don't know it." 

That's it. I had enough of this nonsense. Why wouldn't he just tell me what is wrong? All of these oddness made me uncomfortable already and his secrecy is begining to irk me. "How? Tell me one of the reasons." I said exasperatedly. Nothing was making sense, and he wasn't helping.

Minho scratched the back of his neck, a habit of nervousness. "Well- I.. I don't know. Forget it."

I pulled my hand back from his and stopped walking. He halted to before turning around to meet my eye. "Forget it? Are you kidding me? How can I 'forget' it if you always seem so bothered by it? Whatever it may be," I added furiously.

He was quiet again, probably searching for the right words to say while I stood there, glaring at him. Then, without saying anything, he pulled me into a hug. I felt his fingers slightly shaking as he did. I stayed rooted in my spot, not knowing what to do.

 

-----------------------------

 

I didn't know what I was thinking but before I could stop myself, I hugged her. Nothing was going on like I planned. You can say that I screwed myself up.

I wasn't supposed to hurt her,

I wasn't supposed to get her hopes up again,

But I did.

Saehyun didn't budge in my arms and she said nothing too. I stepped back from her and looked into her enchanting, dark eyes. My gaze travelled further down the bridge of her nose, and then I caught sight of her lips, pink and rosy.

I must be out of my mind, but let's face it, when was I not? 

I leaned in closer to her and saw her flutter her pretty lashes in shock, also the blush that hinted her cheekbones. I felt the corners of my mouth curving upwards inevitably as a reaction of her cuteness. She was just so darn adorable.

I found myself inching closer and closer to her before I closed my eyes. My heart was thumping out of my chest and I could hear the rapid beats echoing through my ears. 

Thump

Thump

Thump

Silence.

It stopped, as if a sudden realization had hit me, and it did. I jerked back from her, covering my mouth. I couldn't believe I was going to kiss her. I looked down at my feet with guilt.

"See what I meant?" I said, almost in a whisper, "I'm selfish."

Saehyun went ahead and slapped me. "What was that all about?" she said, almost in tears. "That's not selfish, that's just being a jerk."

I touched the stinging part of my cheek and took a deep breath. "Do you really want to know what's wrong?"

"No, not really." She replied with a sarcastic tone, "Ofcourse I do! I've been asking you the same thing since forever!"

"I'm moving away."

I saw Saehyun's face fall, and then her tears. But it didn't seem like she realized she was crying. "You're not serious." she said in disbelief.

I only nodded. This is why I didn't want to tell her, why I kept it a secret. She is really devastated and I didn't want her to be like this. At first, when my mom said that she and dad were going to give a second try in their marriage, I couldn't believe her. I refused to believe her. It has been too long since their divorce, why try again now?

They later told me that it was for my sake and that it'd be better for me to study and live there with my dad, and mom too, as a family. I was ofcourse delighted to be able to reunite with my dad again but I couldn't just abandon the life I have here, with my school, friends and Saehyun. I thought it would hurt them less if i leave quietly and gradually. And that was why I was distancing myself from them.

But one day, when I saw Saehyun laughing and talking to Key, I snapped. I knew I wasn't supposed to get her hopes up again, but like I said, I was selfish. And I asked her to go to prom with me. Now, I've gotten her into this mess. 

"Where are you moving to?" she asked, hurt evident in her voice. I looked away, not being able to make eye-contact with her, "My dad. Mom decided that we should both move to Germany to live with him."

Slowly, tears escaped the edges of her eyes as they streamed down her face. She looked down and sniffled, trying to not make it seem obvious. "For good?"

"For good." I repeated as I reached out my hand to wipe her tears away. She took fistfuls of my shirt in her hands and rested her head atop of my chest, crying silently.

"I hate you." she choked,

I smiled sadly and then gently her hair, "I love you too."

When Saehyun started crying louder, I tried to figure out ways to make her stop, since I couldn't stand it when girls cry. So I stole a peck from her lips. She immediately ceased and I grinned at my success. She turned really red and I laughed at her, it was really amusing.

As a revenge, Saehyun suddenly stood on her tippy-toes and brushed her lips with mine, making me blush madly. She pointed at my face and laughed in return, "Ha, gotcha." she said childishly.

I shuffled her hair messily, and she screamed her complaints. "You want to get icecream?" I offered, looking at my wrist-watch, "We still got 15 minutes before your curfew."

"You're bribing me with icecream now?" she narrowed her eyes suspiciously as I laughed.

"Well, I can't really bribe you with pizza, since it has been done before." I replied, playing along with the joke.

"Hmm, true- but you've never bribed me with nachos." she suggested.

I sighed, "Do you really think we could find nachos at this time of the night?" I smiled, "I'll do that next time."

She tapped her cheek, contemplating the choices seriously, "Fine, I'll take the icecream then."

I s my arms around her shoulders as we walked together to the mini-market for our vanilla icecreams.

 

--------------------------------------

 

Choi_Minho

Saehyun-ahhhh
I'm going to board the plane in a few minutes..
U sure u don't wanna see me one last time?

Hahaha okay then                                
       Nah, I dont wanna cry my eyeballs out
    Have a safe flight Minho-yah :)            

I'll miss you so much..
Hahaha yeah, thanks cutie.

I'll miss u too.                                     .
                      But it's okay, I mean, we have the internet.
Right?                                                 

Yeahh, It's not like we live in the
dark-ages or something.
But still..

                    Ahahahah. Are u going to visit Korea again?
        Cause if u do, we'll meet up.             .

I don't really know.. 
But when I do, I'll tell you.
Hey Saehyun, I have an important
question..

Yeah??                                             .

Peanuts or bubblegum?

What??                                             .
       What do u mean by that?                 .

I can't decide what snacks to
bring on the plane.

                                           Aish-! I actually thought it was important! You pabo
     Bubblegum FTW.                                .

Okeydokey
Hahahaha admit it~ u love this pabo

LOLL. You wish Choi Minho           .

B-but, Disney said ur wishes would 
come true..

   Well guess what.. they lied.            
   And for the record, Santa isn't real.

Oh my God
YOU MONSTER
How could you

HAHAAHA                                      
*sorrynotsorry*                               

Hey, I need to go now
Bye bye :)

Good bye Minho :))))                    .

 

---------------------------------------

 

When the doorbell rang, I lazilly stood up from my white beanbag to answer it. When I opened the door, I was surprised to see a delivery man standing infront of me, handing me a plastic bag. "Umm, I'm sorry we didn't order anything." I explained.

The man took out a note from his pocket and said, "Ms. Kim Saehyun?" and he paused to seek my confirmation and I nodded. "Somebody already paid for this, don't worry. He wanted it delivered to this house." he gave me the receipt and asked me to sign it, in which I did. 

After taking the plastic bag inside, I took a peek inside and saw a box full of nachos; with extra cheese. On the box, was a note:

"I'm using these to bribe you. Forgive me for leaving?"
                                                                         - Doctor.

I never thought food would ever make me tear-up, but yet again, Minho proved me wrong.

 

----------------------------------------------