#10

Doctors

Choi_Minho

Heyy, what's up ??

Helloo :)
Um, I'm going to have football practice
after this.
How about u? Haven't talked to u in a whilee

Hahaha oh yeah              
           The games are next week right?
                            I'm fine i guess, hahah. Just boring old me.

Yeahh hahah
Are you okay?

Not really                      
I miss you.                    
        We dont talk much anymore

Saehyun-ah
I'm soo sorryyy
:(

No, it's okayy haha       
     Not ur fault that u're busyy

Hahaha
Oh yeah,
I miss u tooo
I'd buy u pizza when I'm not busy, i swear.

Hmm, is that a date ??   

If u say yes, it is
Hahaha

          Fine, but next time, u can't    
        bribe me with pizza again :p

Loll, finee
Then next time I'll get u nachos.

Goddamnit.                
Heehehe                    
  You know me so well.  

Too well, infact ;)
BRB yeah, I have to go now.
Byee

Okayy,                    
Bye :]                     

 

----------------------------------------

 

"Saehyun-ah, stop it already." Sunjoo complained as she snatched the phone away from her friend. For what is seems to be the 10th time that day, Saehyun was staring blankly at the screen of her phone. "It's pathetic, seriously."

Mimi joined in, "Just forget him already, he hasn't talked to you in weeks. I cant stand seeing him treating you like this." she said in an annoyed tone. Rena just nodded. "He didn't even ask you to the dance yet."

Saehyun rested her forehead on her palms, "You guys don't get it do you?" she said quietly.

They all looked at her, concern shown on their faces. She took a deep breath in, and sighed, "If I could forget him, I already would have by now. But don't you see? I just simply can't. I tried being patient, I tried to forget, I tried everything-"

She paused in the middle of her sentence before resuming, "-And despite all of that, I still look for him when i'm at school, I still wait for his texts.. I still miss that jerk."

Sunjoo stood up from her chair, "Saehyun-ah, it's clear that he doesnt like you anymore. I mean- he wouldn't even talk with you when you guys meet at school, like he usually did."

She stayed silent because she knew that her friend was right, and there was no reason to deny it. When she passed Minho in the hallways, he wouldn't even glance at her, let alone, say a word to her. But he was acting normally around his friends, as if everything was fine.

All of it was frustrating her.

"You know what? I dont care anymore. I'm sick of it, just let him do whatever he wants." she said in a passive tone, "Like I give a damn."

Rena put her hands on Saehyun's shoulders, "It's okay to admit that you still care but don't worry, sooner or later, you'll forget him." she gave her a supportive smile. Saehyun looked around at her friends and managed a smile herself.

 

-------------------------------------

 

I crossed my arms as I sat on the corner of Grade 10's hangout spot. It was a windy day, a miserable day for all the girl students, for they will have to be extra careful about their skirts. However, I was at ease because I was wearing my sports uniform that day which included a red t-shirt and a pair of black shorts. 

My ears were occupied by my earphones, each of them blasting kpop songs as I hum along to the tune. I was starting to fade away into a little nap when I felt one of the plugs of my earphones fall off. A hand landed on top of my head, tousling my hair and making it messy.

"Yah- What's your problem?" I spat, not tolerating any disturbance during my rest.

"What if I tell you I have none?" a voice said.

I turned my head around to look, it was Key, just being his normal self. "You're not wearing your uniform," I observed. Key was wearing a 'Ramones' sweater, pairing it with a washed-out denim jeans and a black, knitted beanie. He didnt forget to add an array of piercings and a couple of rings with the ensemble.

He gracefully plopped down beside me, I dont know how but Key always moves so gracefully yet mysteriously at the same time, sort of like a cat. "Well thanks for stating the obvious." he sarcastically retorted.

Key looked at the earphone in his hands and then at me, "What were you listening to Saehyun-ah?" he asked. I responded to the question with a little jolt, and tried to snatch the little device out of his hand. He calmly dodged my reach and gave a slightly wicked smile. Out of reflex, I opened my phone and stopped the kpop song I was listening to, so that he would not hear it through the earphone.

"What's wrong? It's not as if it is a sin to enjoy music," Key said. I looked at him and let out a sigh, he would never be able to understand the insecurities of a kpop fan, no one does. Well, none except for Minho.

"It is not a sin, but if you listen to unpopular music, people would criticize you and make you feel like it is." I said coldly, remembering all of my friends who bashed me for liking kpop. After a while, he finally nodded, "I suppose you're right. But just so you know, I'm not one of those people."

I glanced at him, "Oh are you?"

"Ofcourse not, I mean, I know how it feels like to have people make judgements about who you are," he smiled, "I have freaking piercings for pete's sake! And have you seen anyone wear as many rings as I do?"

I simply shook my head. He must've heard many comments about his appearance because most guys his age would not be dressing anything like him. 

"People say I look like a gay, emo or all of the other stereotypical groups humans put people like me in just because we differ from them." Key scoffed and his jaws tightened for a second, and I saw it relaxing as he gave another smile. "But you know what, Saehyun-ah?"

I tilted my head to the side, urging him to keep on talking.

"This is my secret for a peaceful life, do you want to know?" he asked me intriguingly, and beckoned me to come closer to him as he whispered,

"Life is simple when you don't give a crap."

I backed away from him, crossing my arms infront of me, "What a rip-off, I thought it was going to be a better secret than that,"

Key laughed at me and said, "Well, to be honest, I'm not exactly Dr.Seuss." I joined in his laugh and after the laughing ceased, we grew silent. Once more, he asked me, "So now you can tell me. What were you listening to?"

"Kpop. I was listening to kpop." I answered shortly. I observed his face for any signs of reaction but nothing changed, he still had his poker-face on. "So?" he exclaimed, "What's wrong with that?"

Suddenly he took my phone and opened my music, revealing the 148 kpop songs instore. I yelled as I lunged for it and ended up failing miserably for he was definitely stronger than I was. "Oh~ look at what we have here.." He sang as his thumb scrolled through the song titles. "I wonder what this one is?"

The silent corner was no longer silent. Instead, It was filled with B1A4's song, 'Lonely'. I screamed as I tried to loosen his grip off my phone but just as I was detaching one of his fingers off, Key raised his hand up above our heads. I cursed my short height as I jumped desperately for it, my hands falling short from his. He laughed at the sight, clearly amused.

"Awh, our Saehyun-ie is too short, I'm sorry, you have to atleast be this tall to enter the ride." He said, placing his hands 10cm in the air above my head. I gritted my teeth, How much more humiliation I can take? Thank God there was nobody around to see this happen. 

"Kibum-ah, I'm serious! Give it back!" I yelled, pinching him in the sides which did not even have any visible effect on him.

I heard him let out an evil-sounding laugh, "Never."

After some more minutes, I grew desperate, because another song was playing, it was APink's 'Mr.Chu'. I pushed him down, my plan was to make him fall and whilst he was in pain, I will take my phone back and run away as fast as I can. It sounded like a reasonable plan, so I proceeded with it.

After I pushed him with what was left of my strength, I saw his figure beginning to unbalance, and like in slow-motion, he leaned back. My plan was working,

Not.

When he fell, I felt a hand grabbing my arm and the next thing I knew, I was on top of him. We were both on the floor and I could hear him groan in pain under me. Maybe it was the impact of my elbow hitting his ribs. Oops, sorry.

I seized my phone from his hand and smiled victoriously. I felt him stir under me and weakly said, "This is romantic of you Saehyun-ah, but I'd appreciate it if your elbow wasn't digging into my poor abdomen."

"You deserved it, jerk." I said as I sat up and turned off the loud music. At first, I didnt pay any attention to him, but after I noticed that he had been laying still for quite a while, I was somewhat worried. "Key? Are you okay?"

I inched closer to him, "Kibum-ah," I said in an urgent tone, "You okay?"

He didnt move. I began shaking his shoulders cautiously at first, and then later, much more violently. "Y-yah, stop that will ya?" He said in almost a whisper. I took a deep breath, greatly relieved.

"What's wrong?" I asked, although I already suspected that it was his ribs. "I- I dont know, but this part," he pointed to an area in his upper left abdomen, "It hurts."

I touched it lightly, which resulted with Key whincing in agony. "I'm going to check what's wrong, okay?" I asked him. He nodded, not caring about anything else but the pain. I lifted his sweater up slightly, revealing a modest amount of his bare surface. There was nothing except for smooth skin and transparent rough lines from his abs, I looked away, embarassed. "There's nothing there."

Key insisted that he felt pain near his ribs, so I uncovered him further, and right below his chest I caught a sight of a large bruise. It was still new, so it wasn't purple, but it was a mix of pink and green-ish blue, I gasped. "Kibum-ah, we need to get you to the infirmary." I reported as I helped him stand up, letting him drape his arm around the back of my neck for support.

We shuffled slowly to the infirmary, taking a few breaks in the process for him to bend down and relax. Overall, it was a long walk. When we got there, the nurse was astonished to find such a huge bruise on a student and asked him if he got involved in a fight. Even though Key was in pain, it didnt stop him from trying to embarass me. He told the story to the nurse with such detail, you would think that it was a scene from National Geographic where the narrator explains about how lions hunt their prey. After he got the bruise treated, we headed out of the infirmary with me, sulking.

 

---------------------------------------------

 

"So, did he ask you yet?" Key asked aloofly as we sat in our hang-out corner. 

I shrugged off the question, ignoring him while I played everyone's favorite game, Flappy Bird. He arched his eyebrow at me inquiringly. 

"So he didn't then," he noted quietly. I opened my mouth in protest, "Not yet. He's been busy."

Key only bobbed his head, nodding at my statement, "Yeah, that's what you said 2 weeks ago." 

I threw my hands in the air, "So what if he hasn't. He'll eventually ask." I said, even though I wasn't sure myself that he would.

He suddenly turned towards me, "Saehyun-ah, since Minho's not asking you to the dance.."

"Yet." I corrected him. He didn't acknowledge it and moved on with his speech.

".. Would you just go there with me? I mean.. It doesn't have to be a date." He said rather shyly, the high of his cheekbones turning light pink.

I stayed mute, not being able to come up with an answer. "Umm, I dont know. I'm sort of still waiting for Minho.."

"Until when exactly are you going to keep waiting?" he said, irritatedly. "Just give me a chance, Saehyun-ah."

I fiddled with my fingers, an indecent habit I developed since I was young. Ofcourse I would accept Key's offer, but then there was Minho..

Just when I was about to open my mouth for a reply, a hand covered my left shoulder, dragging me and in the end, making me bump into a large figure. I gave a little squeak (Actually it was a huge, alien-sounding, unlady-like yelp.) out of shock. I turned my head furiously at whoever it was, ready to nag.. and I stopped when I saw Minho's face, inches away from mine.

"Your name is Key, is it?" He said in a cold manner, "I'm afraid she couldn't go with you."

For a few seconds, Key stayed quiet, stupefied from the sudden-ness of the situation. But he quickly changed back his expression to normal and said challengingly, "Why not? It's not as if you asked her."

Minho scoffed, "Fine, I havent asked. But even if I didn't, she'd still never choose you."

"You little low-life," Key uttered. "Do you have to be such a jerk about it?"

I rolled my eyes at them, this was so childish. "Guys, don't I have any say in this? I mean, I'm the one going, right?"

Minho looked at me incredulously, "Are you seriously thinking of going with him?"

"Well, that wouldn't be such a shocker, considering how you've been acting lately." I complained, "Ignoring me, pretending that I don't exist, not contacting me in any way, and now you wonder why I'm planning to go with someone else to the dance?"

"You amaze me, Choi Minho." I furiously muttered as I took my bag and walk away from the two boys.

Minho stopped me in my tracks, "Saehyun-ah. Wait."

I turned around, giving him a passive glare. He sighed and scratched his hair impatiently. "What is it?" I asked.

Minho looked around, trying to arrange the words in his head. I placed my right hand on my hips, waiting for an explanation. When it seemed like he was having too much trouble in speaking, I decided to help. "Alright, just explain first why you havent been talking to me."

He smacked his forehead with his hand, "That is actually the hardest part to explain." he whined desperately.

"Just tell me what's wrong." I suggested.

After taking a deep breath of air into his lungs, Minho started talking, "I was just.. busy. You might not believe me but I was. Everything that was going on was too much for me, and I distanced myself from everyone I care about."

I looked at him suspiciously, "But you were acting normal infront of your friends."

"I'm good at pretending I'm fine. Plus, I'm not close to them anyways, so I dont distance myself from them. But if you've noticed, I rarely talk to Anna anymore." he said, reffering to one of his bestfriends, Song Anna.

"I'm sorry if I hurt you."

I bit my lower lips, "You did, alot." I saw him flinch at my words.

Minho took a small step closer to me, "I'm really sorry, Saehyun-ah. Although I dont know how to make it up to you.." he paused. I glanced at him, not giving out any words of advice.

"Will you go to the dance with me?" he said, "Even if it's so selfish of me to ask from you."

I raised my eyebrow, questioning him, "Why? What do you mean by selfish?" He lowered his gaze to his foot, not looking at me. "Saehyun-ah, you may haven't realised this, but I am a really, really selfish person. I tried to not hurt you, but I did anyways-"

I cut him off mid-sentence, "I dont get it. What do you mean by that? Why won't you explain to me what's wrong?" I asked, frustrated.

"Because you'll be hurt. But please Saehyun-ah, go to the dance with me, it'll be the last thing I ask of you." He muttered quietly.

I stepped up to him and circled my arms around his waist, "I will, and it doesn't have to be the last time for anything." I said. He sighed and hugged me back, "Ofcourse there has to be a last time for everything. You know what they say; Good things come to an end."

 

----------------------------------------