#18

Doctors

"Ah- I hate everything!" Luhan shouted.

I nodded tiredly as I flipped another page of my notebook, trying to memorize the material given. There was a quiz coming up this Friday and we decided to study together just in case we had doubts. Minho soon joined since he was in the same class. "Luhan hyung.." Minho sighed, "What do you not hate?"

The older male rolled his eyes as he laid on top of the coffee table snugly, crossing his arms. "Touché, kiddo."

I groaned and sunk deeper into the couch as I covered my face with the notes. "My brain had exploded. There's too much terms and functions to remember..."

The others only focused on their work again, ignoring my talks. Luhan oppa started asking Minho questions about the topic and the latter was struggling with the answers. I only groaned and continued reading the text infront of me monotonously, trying my best to remember it by heart. It's ridiculous, actually, how I was able to remember and recite the rap for Big Bang's 'Fantastic Baby' effortlesly when I was still so clueless about Pathology.

"Hello depressed people," Heechul oppa interrupted my thoughts. He laughed, "So, do you all feel my pain?"

The boys only chuckled grimly as they tuned him out. I frowned, "We're trying to study here. Unlike somebody, we have a quiz this Friday."

"Well ain't that just wonderful." He smirked, "I'd love to leave you to your studying but unfortunately, I need someone to go with me to buy the groceries."

"Not me." I quickly responded, feeling relieved. Minho looked at Luhan and they both shook their heads. "Come one guys! I can't carry all those stuff home by myself! Help your hyung~" Heechul oppa pleaded.

Luhan finally nodded, "Fine, let's go-"

"No, Minho will go." I cut him off, sending Minho a glare in the process. "What are you waiting for? Go."

Feeling like he had no choice, the said man went up and proceeded with Heechul's wish. The duo left a few minutes after, leaving me and Luhan all by ourselves. He coughed and gave me a look. "What?" I asked.

"Didn't you say you were close to Minho?" He interrogated. I tried covering my face with the book, pretending to be studying but he easily snatched it away from me, giving me no chance to escape. In the end, I gave up, "Yeah. We were- past tense. So what?"

Luhan bit his inner cheeks, staring at me with a question in his mind, "Then why are you being so mean to him?"

"I'm mean?" I repeated like an idiot. To be honest, I never even realised how I acted so coldly towards Minho- maybe I had built insecurities around even the mere thought of him. The chinese boy nodded, "Yeah- you act so elusive and spiteful whenever he's around."

"I don't know. I just don't feel comfortable with him." I fibbed, "And besides, he's really cold too.. also.. weird. Yeah."

Somehow, I still couldn't help but feel a little hatred towards the guy. It's just that probably because I am a really unforgiving and headstrong person- and I have a really good memory- which means that I don't forget things very well. That includes break-ups; or unspoken ones, in this case.

Luhan cringed at his paper and started playing around with the pencils, "You know.. he wasn't always like that. When he first arrived here, he was different."

"Different?" I repeated again. The latter nodded briefly and spoke up, "Exactly. He was a decent guy atleast- plays around well and was just fun to talk to."

I scrunched my forehead, "Now he's not?"

"What do you think." Luhan snorted, "I thought you knew the guy better than I did. Oh well- So the point was, he was doing fine. That is until something happened back in Korea."

Feeling like I knew the answer, I put on an oblivious act, "What's something?"

He continued, "It's some conflict with his girlfriend. I heard he broke up with her or some sort. I guess he did the right thing; though it was really hard to do."

"I think it's just dumb." I blurted out. "He should atleast tell her that they broke up."

Luhan oppa stared at me, "Wait a minute, how did you know?"

"Uh- she told me," I lied, "But still- I don't think he can justify his actions." I shifted my gaze else where, trying not to look too obvious- I was never a good liar.

He shrugged, "Perhaps she ought to know the reason behind it first. I mean, she wasn't the only one who suffered, you know. He did too. A lot." I only responded with pure silence and that made Luhan continue his talk. "Minho was out often- and he always came back drunk. Come to think of it, it was exactly like when you first came here; only way more often," he glanced at me, "I just realised that he doesn't do that anymore. Wonder why."

I mumbled an answer before clearing my throat, "If he was so heartbroken.. then why did he do that to her? To them?"

"Oh, Kim Saehyun. Did you really think long distance relationships are that easy?" Luhan oppa sneered, suprising me, "Minho tried- he really did. It's just that when you think about it, reality isn't the most coorperative thing. Imagine- being seperated halfway 'round the Earth for probably endless years. Don't you think his girlfriend could wait that long?" he questioned rhetorically, "If he was going to attend college here and get his specialist too, it'd take forever."

Luhan stood up with his mug to get more water, "Be realistic, Saehyun-ah."

As he took his leave, I sighed and tried calming down my nerves. I have never really thought of it that way. I knew I was stubborn but I never realised I was that daft too. The break-up might not be the best thing ever but he had his reasons. Minho always had his reasons. He already knew we weren't going to be working out and cut it off with me to not drag it on; to not hurt my feelings any longer.

To be honest, I was kind of relieved that he did. I couldn't imagine myself being in a relationship with a person virtually through phones and e-mails for several long years. I'd die of longing and jealousy if I see a couple walking past by me.

Even though I understood now, it doesn't mean that I will like Choi Minho again. It doesn't work that way- never does.

Maybe I should just blame it on the universe and accept that it had ended.

Doctors finally ended.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

Study, study, study, study again, and again, work for a few years- then die.

That's the summary of a doctor's life. If I should say so myself. Sometimes I wonder why I wanted to go down this tiring road full of boredom, but then I would always convince myself that I am dedicated to my dream. Unfortunately, today was not the same.

It was nearing the end of the first term and the finals are coming, which made me a complete emotional wreck. If something could screw my mentality harder than break-ups, this was it. The only thing I did after classes had ended was sleep and study. Heechul oppa would scold me for missing my meals but I couldn't help it, I forget things when I am stressed out.

I still had my eyes glued to the pages of the book when the door was knocked. I made a grunt noise; telling whoever it was to enter.

Minho came in, wearing an over-used shirt, some nerd glasses and bed hair. It was obvious that he was also torturing himself with his studies. The guy was holding something behind his back, blocking it from my view. "Yo." he greeted.

I smiled, "Hey."

I have been okay with Minho lately, everything was normal between us and the awkward tension dissapeared since- well- I didn't really want to kill him anymore. He might've noticed because he was acting more friendly and familiar with me. "Thought I wanted to release some stress." he held up the plastic bag he was hiding behind him.

Judging from the familiar logo on the plastic, I quickly guessed that it was some chinese food from a restaurant nearby. "Are you going to share that with me?" I asked, being obviously hungry. He laughed and sat on my bed, crossing his legs. "If I don't Heechul hyung might arrest me. He's been complaining to me about how you're skipping meals."

Chuckling, I went over and took a seat next to him, peeking into the plastic to find greasy noodles in paper boxes, fried dumplings and some fortune cookies. I my lips as I pulled out each of the boxes for Minho and myself. I smiled contentedly, "Mmm, greasy."

"For chinese food; the greasier the better." he pointed out. I rolled my eyes and continued eating the food with my chopsticks.

After we were done, I sighed and got off the bed to study again but Minho stopped me by holding my wrist back. I turned to him, confused, "What?"

"Let's take a break." he suggested. I was about to have a major rage-fit when he shushed me, "Before you say anything. I'll just point out the fact that you've been studying for more than 6 hours. You should really rest for a bit."

"But.." I whined, glancing nervously at my study desk and all the textbooks and notes above it.

Minho didn't waver, "C'mere."

Before I realised it, I was sitting next to him again. He pulled out his phone and searched up something on the internet. Intrigued, I stole a peek at his screen but he moved it away from me. Suddenly, after a few moments, a familiar tune was heard..

 

Sumeul gotdo chatji mothae naneun~ Piharyeogo aesseobwado~ Geobujocha hal su eopneun~

 

My Shawol self took over and out of nowhere, I was squealing as I sung out the words of the song. "SHINee!" I yelled out and hit Minho's shoulders several times unconsciously. Taken aback by my violent reaction, his eyes widened and mouth- parted. But soon, he was smiling along.

"HER WHISPA IS DA LUCIFAAAAAAA~" I screamed along with the lyrics. By this point, I was already dancing the crazy choreography in the middle of the room as if my pants were on fire. Being the dedicated fangirls we were, Mimi and I had learned the dance for Lucifer ever since it first came out- it was our favorite song and we only thought it was only appropriate if we knew how to dance to it.

I was still busting out Taemin's part of the song when Minho joined me- but he only free styled since he knew none of the choreography. Sometimes he'd try copying my moves but failed and we'd laugh it off.

After doing the same thing to Ring Ding Dong, Julliete and Everybody (Although I was doing random moves for the last one since I never bothered my lazy self to learn the moves), we were sitting down on the floor with our backs against the walls as we tried catching our breaths, still grinning like idiots.

"So," Minho said, "You still like SHINee, huh?"

I smiled and raised a hand in the air, "Once a Shawol, always a Shawol."

"Good to know," he breathed, "That you've not changed everything about yourself."

I titled my head at him, "You think I've changed? In what way?" Hearing my question, he pouted, making him look years younger than he actually was. "In so- so many ways, Saehyun-ah. Sometimes I feel like I don't recognize you anymore."

"But I still feel like the same person." I stated, feeling weird. Did I actually change? Probably with the dress code but that was only because my mom kept kon nagging me about how I should own a more mature wardrobe. "Huh, but I guess things change, don't they?" I asked him back.

Minho stayed quiet and he looked at me for some time before turning away. I didn't pry more since it would be awkward so I went back to the bed to clean things up, picking the trash and dumping it into the bin. He then helped me out and we were done within minutes.

"Oh- and thank you, Minho. I really appreciated it."

He was opening the door but paused in the process, glancing at me. I nodded and sent a thin smile at him, in which he returned.

"Did everything change?" He asked out of no where. I gulped and decided not to answer that, guessing what he was implying to. It wasn't whether I altered my hairstyle or anything, I knew it was about us. Minho only nodded his head and added, "I never changed, just so you know."

"Good night, Hyun-ah."

 

------------------------------------------

 

 

Author's note: I have no excuse. Just forgive me for updating so lateee. Had the biggest writer's block.