Capsule 22: Let me in

A Tranquilizer with your Cold Coffee

 

 

I felt as if I had been gone a long time as I stood there looking down from the high rock. I was happy to be home. Everything that I saw - the otter playing in the kelp, the rings of foam around the rocks that guarded the harbor, the gulls flying, the tides moving past the sandpits - filled me with happiness.
  • From island of the blue dolphins book

 

[Flashback]

“Have you ever pictured yourself as a passionate husband or a loving father, Yonghwa?”

“I don’t know. Possibly.”

“You always see the possibility to everything but not really have any picture-perfect of it. You know what truly sore all that you are?”

“…”

“Having so much inside you and not having the slightest clue of how to pour it out.”

“I can live just finely, Steph”

“No! You are not living! You’re only slipping through this misery life of yours!.”

 

 

 

[Present]

It started with a called asked his maid ‘can I have Joohyun bring me my coffee?’ in the morning after, and ever since Joohyun was the one who prepared Coffee and brought it to Yonghwa whenever and wherever he wanted it.

Like this morning, since he woke up late he asked her to bring coffee to his bedroom.

Knock knock

Joohyun knocked on his door before opened it and stepped into his room.

“Your coffee is here.” She said while looked around but she couldn’t find Yonghwa. “Samchon?” She called out.

“In here.” Yonghwa answered from his walk-in closet, and he walked out to see her. “And where is my favorite tranquilizer?” he asked.

“Here as well.” Joohyun replied, knowing the tease.

Yonghwa looked pleased. “I’m running late now, come and help me picked up my wear.” He said and walked back inside.

Joohyun followed him to his luxurious closet full with neatly arranged cloths, shirts, pants, suits, neckties, watches, and stuff in each drawer, especially one side of wall was dedicated for different style of shoes. The man seemed to have love for shoes.

Joohyun was mesmerized by everything. Now she understood why he addressed her clothe issue like a big deal, and lately he had started buying her accessories.

“Of course, you own a lot”

“And you wanted just little for yourself.”

“But you have those stores send me cloths regularly.”

“Right. And why don’t you at least wear those accessories I bought to you?”

“I will keep them for special occasions, samchon.”

“Ani, you must wear it every day and keeps the most special on special occasions. Next time, wear it, ahrasseo? Do not make me repeat this, kiddo.” He said and reached out to squeeze her nose in teasing.

The girl tried to pull her face away from him. “Ahhh wae keurae! Do not bully a girl, oldie.” She whined out to him.

“Oldie?! Seojoohyun, I’m not that old to be called oldie, chinja neo!?” He uttered in mere surprised.

Seeing him mad, Joohyun let out her satisfied laugh.

Yonghwa then grabbed her for a fun round of messing her hair.

“ahh un-dweh! Samchon, no‼ ahh….cham.”

At the end Yonghwa grinned watching her puffy face. “Hahaha. I’m done. Now help me pick up my watch.”

Joohyun couldn’t help but walked close to the watch dresser while plotting her revenge next time.

“What do you think?”

“This one.” Finally she picked out the golden watch to go with grey suit he was wearing. “I think it will do.”

Yonghwa smiled. “You got a knack.” He praised.

‘I just picked the one that looked most annoyingly expensive‼, rich old man’ she kept her opinion muted and watched him wore his watch.

Somehow it looked good on him, right, because every goddam thing just looked good on him – it seemed unfair!

Alright, she gotta admit – he was super handsome and younger than being 33 years old. But she loved seeing his confidence haltered every time she addressed him as an old man.

“I know I’m handsome, right?” Yonghwa winked, noticing her watching him.

Omo! This man…. She couldn’t believe it!

“You are just too young to admire it, kiddo.” He said.

“I think your coffee is cold enough and I packed you something to eat on the way to work since Jongsuk ssi is waiting downstairs.”

“Thank you, my tranquilizer, and personal assistance.”

.
.

.

.

.

Joohyun was heading to living room because the maid informed her she had a guest waiting there.

A guest? Who on earth that could be?

“…Unnie? YoonA unnie‼” She called that person when she realized it was Korean national angel ImYoonA – her so called unnie.

“Yes, Joohyun. Look, I bought you something.” YoonA stood from the couch and gave the girl a basket full of stuff.”These are vitamins, calcium, herbal drinks and ginseng. I heard you are obsessed with healthy food, so I think you may like it.”

“I don’t just like, I love it already. Thank you so much, unnie.”

“Not only this stuff, but today I’m going to take you out and I already got permission from your samchon.”

“Take me out?! Wow! That’s the best.”

“Okay, now call someone to keep this for you.”

……………

ImYoonA took Joohyun to dine out it France restaurant and had a great time of sister-like conversations.

Then it came to this question.

“..Joohyun, how old are you?”

“I’m 20, unnie.”

“Keurae? 20. So you are a woman now, a lady to be exact.”

Joohyun smiled shyly to her angel.

“A lady must learn how to wear pretty makeup, you know?”

“Wear…makeup?” This time Joohyun looked at YoonA with glistering eyes, some expectation slightly showed up in there.

“I guess your somchon didn’t understand this kind of things, so I’ll help you with it, okay?”

“er…keuraeyoh? I feel very thankful, unnie.”

So after finishing their meal, YoonA took the girl to her beauty & spa shop located in big mall.

The employees bowed to Joohyun when YoonA introduced the girl to everyone. YoonA treated her employees like co-workers so that everyone admired and respected YoonA.

“So this place is yours, unnie?”

“Yes, because I want to help everyone bring out their true beauty and I have this crazy obsession with cosmetic and fragrant myself. This store is a success must thanks for your samchon’s help.” YoonA said with a delight smile.

Watching YoonA like this made Joohyun admired this angel more and more, and she couldn’t help to be enchanted by the angel’s charm. Everything YoonA did – from laughing to just standing, whatever just looked simply amazing and delicate.

Joohyun realized she couldn’t take her eyes off of YoonA.

So when they said every sane man in South Korea might turn their heads around watching this angel walked by, it wasn’t all lie.

“Joohyun, come here. I will show you something.”

“Neh, unnie.”

….

After a while…

“Do you like it?” YoonA asked, putting down the brush after the final touch on Joohyun’s face.

Joohyun was staring into the mirror and couldn’t help amazed by her reflection, she blinked. “Is that really me, unnie?”

Angel laughed. “Of course, it’s you. I tried the sweet princess look, it suits you well.”

“Thank you so much, unnie. Look, there are glisters on my eye lids – I really like it.” Joohyun couldn’t stop admiring YoonA’s work on her face.

“That’s called eyes shadow.”

“Ahh, eyes shadow.” She repeated the word like what to engrave it in her memory.

“I’m going to teach you to wear all this by yourself, what do you say?”

“Eh? Can I learn? Isn’t it difficult, unnie?”

“Ani. It’s not so difficult. Even it is, women can’t just give up”

“You are right, I guess.”

“Now let’s see what should be done next.”

“What…next?”

“Got it! Let’s do your hair and try putting some tiara on.”

“I feel like Cinderella already, unnie.”

“keke Cinderella, I’m your godmother angel.”

All that afternoon Joohyun had learned and tried so many aesthetic things, she found herself in love with it already.”

.

.

.

.

(…Oppa please help me.)

“Help? What’s matter, YoonA?”

(keke I need a pumpkin carriage for my Cinderella, oppa)

“Pumpkin carriage?”

(Yes, like in fairy tale.)

“Perhaps, what are you two playing now?”

(I’m in the godmother angel role, oppa. I won’t return the girl I’ve stolen unless her guardian shows up and treats me a wonderful dinner tonight in exchange...)

Yonghwa considered it.

(…and following days after, too. You see I’m on mission, oppa)

“YoonA, I told you not to waste your time on me.”

(I had wasted the past 2 years; but from now on I collect the payoffs. I know it’s gonna be worth it. I’m in war now, oppa. keke)

“I’m sorry for your 2 year waste, YoonA.”

(Never mind. Only don’t get so shocked with my upcoming. I got it all plan out haha)

“How would I stop you?”

(You can’t stop me, oppa. I’m on the high hand now, everyone is supporting me and I can’t let them down.)

At this point, Yonghwa couldn’t find any word to reply except..”Thank you, YoonA…You don’t mind for what I have put you through and you are still around, you have been doing me a lot favor.”

(Is it enough to get a key to open your heart and get in, oppa?)

Yonghwa didn’t know the answer. He, too, wondered how much was enough?

And since when… since when had his heart been locked?

.

.

.

.

[Flashback]

“..It was only me and you from now on, Yonghwa. I will raise you to be a successful person, not a loser like your father or a low-“

“Imo doesn’t have a right to insult my appa and omma‼”

“Why can’t I insult them? It’s true after all. Truths don’t die.”

“It’s not true‼ Appa wasn’t a loser and omma wasn’t like what you said.”

“Then prove it to me, kid! Prove it on your behave that yo-“

“I’m going to prove it to you‼”

The sound of door slammed shut behind, the boy was disappearing into his locked room.

.

.

.

.

[Present]

Yonghwa couldn’t remember how to trust someone enough to give that person a power to hold his hearth in hands.

Or how to let someone in and to love someone.

Love was just a word; anyone could say love and turned his/her back away easily after saying it.

He won’t go that way anymore. Anyone could love freely and had fun with it.

But not him, he didn’t take heart job seriously.

(It’s still not enough, I guess. It’s alright I will just keep doing.)

“YoonA, I won’t-“

(Love you, oppa. Because I love you and I care about you. That’s why.)

“….”

(Oppa don’t have to reply me now. I will keep repeating until it really reaches your heart.)

“…”

(Don’t forget to pick up the hostile and come with the nice place for dinner in your mind.)

She hung up already but he still couldn’t make out his mind.

He wanted to try but still…something just kept holding him back.

…Not that everyone would be as cruel as you, right, omma?

He asked himself.

Couldn’t be everyone...

That was the most logical answer he told himself. It was because, perhaps, he too might wish for anyone to have a key to open his heart.

He didn’t have the key himself; he still didn’t understand his feelings very well.

And he forgot where he hid that dam key.

So Yonghwa got back home to refresh himself and put on casual cloth. He drove his red mustang out and dropped by at the flowery to buy a bouquet of white and orange roses.

He meant for it to express his gratitude and made up for other times that he was kind of rude to YoonA. White and orange roses seemed sincere and friendly enough.

Actually the women at the shop said orange rose were seen as a bridge between friendship symbolized by yellow roses and love represented by red roses which Yonghwa saw fit.

It was something between for now, he guessed.

Maybe it was a start for something new.

Yonghwa showed up at YoonA’s store at night fall.

“Oppa.” YoonA called when he noticed him walked toward and while those employees were fangirling over the man.

Yonghwa gave YoonA the bouquet which got she surprised, and got those employee felt giddy.

“Is this for me?”

“Yes, thank you for everything, YoonA.” He said and that made YoonA brushed in crimson.

“Komaweoyoh.” She said, biting her lower lip, smiling her shy smile, and then lowered her face to smell the roses.

Joohyun heard those employees clapped their hands so she walked out from inside to see what was happening, but the high-heels she was wearing was now killing her, so she took it off and hold them in each hand and walked barefoot out.

Joohyun watched Yonghwa and YoonA in some kind of bubble-like atmosphere; she noticed the beautiful bouquet and smiled seeing YoonA in glee because of it.

And that Yonghwa noticed the girl; she was in cream-colored, petal-like, short cocktail dress, the dress seemed to hug her gently at the right places, more revealed of her fair skin on shoulders, back, lower tight, and long killer legs. She looked so sweet and delicate in it, just like blooming flower.

Her hair was tugged into a bun decorated with a little tiara – anyone might agree she was a sweet little princess. Yonghwa was mesmerized by her appearance.

Her makeup was flawless and everything looked perfect, except for the shoes that supported to be on her foot but now were in her hands.

It made Yonghwa laughed softly.

“Is that your work, YoonA?” he asked.

“Neh, ottae? How is my Cinderella?”

“Almost perfect.” Said the words and then Yonghwa stepped toward the so-called Cinderella. “Why don’t you put on your shoes? Or are you waiting for a prince charming to put on the glass ones?”

“It’s just very hard to walk on these, samchon. I tried my best but my foot hurt already.” She confessed.

That moment Yonghwa felt the urge to reach out and so he ended up touching her hair, smother it and tucked the array to her ear while smiled to the girl. “Aigoo, look at you.” He beamed.

Joohyun felt the pull from his eyes again but more intense this time.

YoonA watched the man and the girl. Was it weird for Yonghwa to do that, or she just overthink the situation?

She dismissed the bothering thought. And walked to Yonghwa and Joohyun.

“Will you turn to the casual dress before go out, Joohyun?” She asked.

“I think so. I feel weird with this dress, unnie.” Joohyun answered.

“It’s not weird, you are just not familiar and it’s really beautiful on you, isn’t it, oppa?” YoonA turned to Yonghwa.

At that moment Joohyun turned to look at Yonghwa too. “Yes, you look stunning.” He praised her.

“Kamsahamnida” Joohyun uttered, felt weird, shy, and some kind of awkward. So she excused herself to change out.

They went out to have dinner at Italian place, talked to their heart content and then Yonghwa drove YoonA to her place.

While Joohyun was waiting inside the car, Yonghwa got down and opened the car door for YoonA just like a gentle man would do, and he even walked her to the gate.

Joohyun looked out from rearview window and saw that they were kissing again.

But this time it was YoonA who initiated.

The girl felt bad for prying on other people’s business, so she looked back to her hands on her lap, paying attention at the bracelet she was wearing which bought to her by Yonghwa.

She really liked this bracelet.

And then the bouquet of flowers crossed her mind.

Un-dwe‼ Why couldn’t you get enough‼? She asked herself.

This is bad….so bad, SeoJoohyun.

And so Joohyun took her book out to read just to keep her mind occupied.

Yonghwa walked back to the car, he opened the back door next to Joohyun. “Get on the passenger seat, Joohyun.” He told her.

She did as he told, but before she could find the seatbelt, Yonghwa bent down to help her with it. His face was so close she couldn’t help thinking of the way he and YoonA kissed.

She didn’t understand exactly why people kissed but she thought it might feel really weird she couldn’t think of herself did so.

Yonghwa started the car and drove away. “Do you have fun today?” He asked her.

She nodded, not in the mood of drabbing.

“YoonA said you might need to buy some makeup. So from now on I will give you credit card and you can buy anything you want with it. And if you want to go shopping just told the chauffer, he will take you, what do you say?”

“Okay, samchon.” She answered, didn’t really understand the implication of what he said. But since he seemed to get it plan out, she figured – would just have to go along.

Yonghwa felt pleased with himself like that. “And don’t wear something that reveals your skin so much, ahrasseo?”

“ahrosseoyoh.” She replied nonchalantly.

“That dress you wore lately is kind of too much revealing, don’t you think?”

“It’s very pretty though.” Joohyun muttered softly, she loved that dress. It was her first time wearing something like that and since YoonA picked it out for her.

“You can be pretty without too much skin exposed.”

“Neh, abonim.” She agreed in mocking tone.

Yonghwa just watched her with sharp gaze.

Abonim? Oh she had no idea how headache she would give him from now on – when she started blooming before his eyes. He began to see what was coming now as her guardian.

“When is your schedule for GED test?”

“In 3 weeks.”

“Don’t get distracted by other things. Now just focus on your study, ahrasseo?”

“Neh, abonim.”

She started to think he seemed like a control freak that enjoyed having power over everything

“If I get good score, you tell me I can choose my study courses.”

“Of course and what do you like?”

“Piano…” She said the words almost like whisper for fear of it would go away.

“Piano?” He checked if he heard it right.

“ Yes, piano. I always dream of being a kindergarten teacher,samchon.  I’ll have to teach kids every subject but they will love to sing while I play piano.” She found enough courage to tell it now because she trusted him.

“Keurae? A kindergarten teacher?”

“Do you think I will make a good teacher, samchon?”

“Yes, you will.”

Sitting next to each other on the car drive in silence, the two of them now was trying to foresee the future, this kind of thing they never before allowed themselves to do. For her future was laid on the mainland and she lost counts how many times she gave up hope to swim across the damn ocean. For his future was merely a desperately lonely pathetic enormous damn line at the frontier, it seemed slack and dull and nerve-wrecking; he bettered live one moment at a time.

But now seemed like a right time to think about future.

Was he included in her future? And where was she in his?

No one knew what was waiting at the end.

Just waiting for it to unfold.

 

 

Joohyun was fast asleep when they reached home. Yonghwa got off his car and managed to carry the girl to her room, he didn’t want to wake her up.

Sleeping Joohyun was happily ever after – some kind of silver lining, something everyone looked for in bedtime stories.

He put her on bed and covered her with comforter, little help from those maids before they excuse themselves out.

For a long time he sat there watching her in deep slumber, it brought peace to his mind.

“You promise to be at my arm-length” he said while touched the hair that frame her face. “And you cannot throw me away no matter what”

Joohyun stirred in her sleep.

“Don’t forget to include me in your future. I swear I’m going to be there.”

And then he kissed her forehead.

“Night, dreamer.”

 

 

[Flashback]

“Believe me, Yonghwa. You are capable of deepest love; you just don’t know it yet.”

“So we are back to this again?”

“Love didn’t hurt you. Someone that didn’t know how to love hurt you. Don’t confuse the two.”

“Don’t speak like you understand, you just as as me in this.”

“I just hope someday someone is going to love you inside out.”

 

I was surprised that I felt this way, for it was only a short time ago that I had stood on this same rock and felt that I could not bear to live here another day.
I looked out at the blue water stretching away and all the fear I had felt during the time of the voyage came back to me.
On the morning I first sighted the island and it had seemed like a great fish sunning itself, I thought that someday I would make the canoe over and go out once more to look for the country that lay beyond the ocean. Now I knew that I would never go again.
  • From island of the blue dolphins book

 

 

 

 

[A/N] If I have time, I'm going to upload next chapter tonight

please look forward to it and comment something please pleas please

Because words are always meaningful to me.

please leave me some words/comment.

yours truly