Capsule 12: A little something

A Tranquilizer with your Cold Coffee

Chapter 12: A little something

 

[Flashback]

“…so now you heard”

“I didn’t hear anything.”

“A too little respect, child. You want bigger”

“Where can I get it then?”

“Try looking.”

 

I try to discover
A little something to make me sweeter

 

[Present]
 

Yonghwa had been back for a while now and he spent that time stood silently at the studio’s door frame looking over Seojuhyun from afar.

She was too busy to notice his arrival, she kept checking out his studio computer – that was not what he would mind at all. But it made him surprised how the girl found out about this room.

Honestly, it wasn’t hidden or anything, but it was a little bit close to his Imo’s wing. If only his Imo found the girl, Yonghwa had no idea what would come. And that he was totally aware his Imo might go real hard on Juhyun or on anyone - everyone. Plus he didn’t even start prepare Juhyun on that matter.

He might start now or else he would hate himself for the girl.

That’s why when his maids informed him about Juhyun being in the studio for hours, he rushed to his current spot in no time and felt relieved with the sight of the girl in tranquility.

Then he heard the song began – the song in his music playlist. He didn’t even remember how long he hasn’t listened to his favorite tunes; this one was ‘a little respect’ though.

Nice pick, SeoJuhyun.

Then he decided it was time.

“Ahem” Yonghwa made a sound.

But the girl didn’t even catch it. She too concentrated on scrolling the music list and the song was playing – covered other sounds.

So Yonghwa would walk in, stopped behind her then put his hands on the backrest of her chair and bended down to talk into her ear. “So now you are practicing on English and computer, right? Snoop girl” He teasingly called her that.

Juhyun’s body tensed (not that she found it’s tempting…but) from the panic of getting caught red-handed for intruding into this room and this computer and this music playlists and.. – oh too much already!

But those came from her private insecurity. Yonghwa never bother with anything like that.

Finally she turned back to acknowledge him with her crooked smile. “Sort of, samchon.” She mumbled, tried to get away with it and that she didn’t exactly lie but even she did he already gave her a pass to do.

Yonghwa stepped back to have a proper distance, then smiled his best smile (Kind of charming and tricky). “So how far you got? Only one track?”

“Neh.” She nodded “I’m figuring what the name of the song is - ‘A little respect’ or ‘Erasure’”

Yonghwa found that entertained. “You can guess.” He suggested.

Juhyun couldn’t help but smiled because that sounded like a challenge - too easy challenge though “I hear the song already, the man kept singing ‘that you give me no…that you give me no’ and ‘give a little respect to me’ then what else it would be?”

“‘That you give me no’? Maybe?” Yonghwa teasingly guessed to deceive her.

“That isn’t even in the choices, samchon.” She uttered. “There are only two choices and I chose A.) A little respect.”

“That is a correct answer – you sure are a genius, Juhyun.” he jokingly praised.

Today his mood was up for teasing her!

She eyed him with her unaffected look.

Suddenly her private insecurity issue shoved on her conscious.

“Errr….Is it okay for you that I...” Her voice trailed off. She then looked around to the stuff she had touched arbitrary, guiltiness loomed inside.

Yonghwa raised his brows; he didn’t even have a clue. “That you…what?”

Silence.

After a moment, Juhyun somehow realized - the man didn’t even care of her trespassing or anything; he was oblivious. Always oblivious or distant. So she changed direction to “…That I will…as you say so - come here and practice on my English and Computer more often, samchon”

Yonghwa laughed “Believe me. It’s more than okay.” He’d say. “But learning English from those songs may confuse you. There is no rule in those lyrics” He felt like he had to warn her upfront.

“I see.” She would say.

You see?

How?

Juhyun’s eyes were so clear and sparkling.

“I see from the name of song and the singer or the band – there is no rule” She looked at him.

There, now that something interesting came out of that beautiful mind again.

Juhyun was like a wonderwall – a wall with a crack to peek inside and the endless surprise kept coming out even we couldn’t see the whole inside.

“Point it out to me then.” He asked for clarification in a real president style. But his posture shifted to more relax; he leaned one of his shoulders to the wall nearby, hand-crossed, still face, eyed glistered, gaze fixed on Juhyun, and somewhat he looked so HOT and COOL.

Those magazines would kill for this post.

Juhyun felt a little bit unsure for her point – what if it’s stupid! What if what I found is stupid!

NO WAY! Or at least, it’s what I discovered.

She then asked for a confirmation “Is erasure the band’s name?”

Yonghwa nodded.

“And the cure, the kinks, the smiths, New Order, Pulp, Talking heads, what else? Err.. are these the band’s names?” Juhyun asked – pointed out those names that followed after dash in music tracks.

Yonghwa nodded, surprised, now a little grin plastered his face for hearing his kind of favorite bands from Juhyun.

“Well, then isn’t that invalid?”

Invalid?

“To name the bands like that – used some valid terms. Think about when the bands introduce themselves ‘Hello, it’s erasure’ or ‘we are talking heads’ “Juhyun then laughed a little before she continued point it out. “Isn’t that somewhat…err…I don’t know…morbid? Invalid?”

Juhyun then paused

“No, it’s not.” She concluded. “It’s not invalid or morbid or anything. It’s music. It’s simply. No rule.” Then she went on. “That goes the same when someone shouts ‘I want the Cure’, or when someone says ‘New Order is coming.’ – That we don’t think of some medicine for the cure and we don’t actually get the real order when it’s New Order. It’s not quite the new language and not quite what we already know, but somehow we know – it’s music”

Who would bother whether it was morbid or invalid or something when it’s music. We were all open when it came to this.

Tip no.1: BE OPEN-MINDED, people. Juhyun was coming your way. She would look around until she found something.

Yonghwa would think that for someone who was really new for this music area, she sounded like she into it already! And it was very meaningful to him because this music thing she was talking about was his hidden passion.

No! Not hidden but somehow it was put into oblivion. And thinking about it now – it made his heart swell.

Tip no.2: YOU DON’T KNOW THE DEAL, alright, she could be very open-minded herself, she’ll understand!

Juhyun smiled, satisfied for her notification because this was new to her. She felt like she discovered something and no matter how many people discovered it already – she was doing herself a good job.

Since she didn’t know many songs and mostly she knew classic song/piano pieces or children songs or cartoon soundtracks. But now she had his confirmation to come check some stuff out.

Tip no.3: She was very big in DISCOVERING! We will have her do a soul searching job, okay?

“It’s okay, samchon. I know some rules outside, so I could bear no rule.” She said to Yonghwa, wanted him to approve for her snoopy wit. VERY NEAT SNOOPY WIT!

Somehow that was just like living in this house – no rule.

No one ever tell me any rules.

But she also knew, it must have – it was just Yonghwa though, who couldn’t care more or less with rules and stuff and all.

Sometimes it made Juhyun wondered so much how he seemed to live up to oblivion like that. He needed someone to watch out for him but then again he didn’t want that for himself.

I’ll do what I can do then. She promised.

Tip no.4: Hold tight! The best part is not coming yet!

“Very well Juhyun. You are a very fast learner.” Yonghwa would praise.

“Then it’s okay for me to check them out sometimes?” She sounded so jovial.

“How’s about with my guidance?” Yonghwa suggested, still felt like it was not all good. “I mean you can check them out freely or do anything with them and all stuff inside this room, too. But I will help you excel, how’s about that?”

“Daebak, samchon.” She smiled to her heart content, her eyes glistered.

Suddenly, it really got into him now that he owned this room; he was used to spend so much time inside this room. “It’s my hobby after all” He said halfheartedly, meant to make it sound like nothing special, tried to misguide something but much more to himself.

What’s a kind of person says his passion is just as a hobby?

Possibly – a kind that got a real job, serious job, maybe.

Or worse – a kind that gave up on his passion.

And worst of all – a kind that forget about his passion so badly.

That moment, the computer switched to play another song – and some sense of fun side kicked in Yonghwa. He might not  totally forget then.

“Now let me point something out to you.” He said to Juhyun with grin.

Juhyun suddenly concentrated on what he would say.

“Hear this song?” He asked. Juhyun nodded. “That is a song called ‘travel song’ and you wanna hear the fun?”

Juhyun’s eyes twinkled in participation. She nodded several times.

“The name of this band is ‘Someone still loves you Boris Yeltsin’.” Yonghwa said, and then waited for Juhyun’s reaction.

Suddenly he had no idea why he was doing this, pointing some lame jokes to someone. He didn’t do that sort of fun anymore, why now?

What if she thinks it’s…no point? What if she doesn’t get it?

Ahhh lame….pabo me!

“I don’t want to judge, samchon. But a band with a name like that…..it really tells something.” Finally she said.

Alright she won’t judge. “Yeah.. it really tells something” Yonghwa then said.

And what he knew next moment, they burst into laughing together. Real laughing.

Not that because they found it so funny or anything but because it really told something. And telling something was cool, sort of fun.

Tip no.5: RELAX! Let the girl do the pretty. She’s sweet and she won’t judge!

“Now I think of this, samchon, - when someone meets the band and says ‘Nice to meet you, someone still loves you Boris Yeltsin’ or when the fans shouts ‘Hey! Someone still loves you Boris Yeltsin!’, aren’t they all being sweet to Boris Yeltsin?” Juhyun said.

“Right, sweet….” And somehow moronic?

“But who is Boris Yeltsin, samchon?” She would ask.

“He was the first president of Russia.” Yonghwa answered. “And I believe he was dead now. Not very much people would love him though”

“Oh, is that politic joke then? Or it’s sort of ironic?”

“It’s sort of joke. I heard the band is from Missouri, America. I heard that someone’s brother chose Boris Yeltsin as a topic for his schoolwork, and maybe those boys just made fun on saying ‘someone still loves you Boris Yeltsin’ then they might think it sounds good or something.”

“So they ended up with that name.”

“Even if it’s absurd, I suppose – it’s a good trademark.”

“Very well then.”

And then they laughed some more.

Now that they already got some inside jokes in music, it was like talking the same language with someone. Only inside people would get it. And it needed more than one person. They got that now!

It was also like dancing in the same tune. It moved you, synchronized you!

It was a little something between two people.

‘A little something’


 

Last tip: Stay tuned! Okay?

 

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. All those songs and the bands are real. I don’t mean to make fun of them or anything like that.

In fact, I love those bands. And that’s why you have this chapter.

Because I really into those bands myself. HAHA. Sorry for being so random.

Bear with me.

Next chapter will be posted next weekend, please look forward to it :)