Chapter Twenty Five

Using Ice To Melt Ice

L’s POV

I know Ima regret what Ima do, but I take off my earpiece and put it in Eunji’s ear. She seems confused but after hearing his voice.. she freezes. I take the earpiece from her and she tries to get it back but I hold it too high for her. “Hey~ let’s go.” I say pulling her to the front.

.

.

.

We sit and the phone is on speakers ringing. The phone call connects and all I hear is stuff shifting. After a while of silence, I talk. “Sungjong.” I call out. “Your sister is here on the phone with me. At least talk to her and tell her something okay?” “Neh.” I hear a whisper. She looks at me and then at the phone, hesitant.

“Sungjong..?” she says quietly.

 “Eunji-ah. I’m sorry to have walked out on you. Or mom. Or dad. I really wasn’t thinking and ev-”

“Oppa..” she says dying.

“It’s my first time hearing you and now here you are ranting about the past. The past is what you decide to bother for now? Ha. It’s been four years Sungjong-shi. Four. You think that now is the right time? Four years ago, I would’ve forgiven you. But now... ” She coldly says.

“Don’t be mad at me. I’m sorry for being so pathetic. I know it’s been hard and-” he gets cut off.

“You think that it was hard? NEWS FLASH. IT WAS HELL LEE SUNGJONG. IS THAT EVEN YOUR NAME ANYMORE? Did you change that too?” She says frustrated.

I hug her. “It’s not the time to be mad at your oppa-” I coo in her ear.

“It’s not the time to apologize either. It’s four years too late.” She brushes me off.

“Remember that guy who was crying in the coffee shop? That was me. & the awkward guy standing outside? Me too.” He says silent.

 “Wah~ Really? You were there and didn’t bother to even say it was you? You were there and didn’t dare to look at me in the eyes? Didn’t make me feel in existence? I feel so loved.” the girl sarcastically says.

“YAH. Eunji, don’t hurt him more than he has been okay?” I hug her tightly.

“YOU DON’T THINK I’VE BEEN HURTING? I’VE TALKED TO YOU ABOUT THIS OPPA. I’VE BEEN HURTING SO MUCH AND HOW CAN I EVEN FACE HIM WHEN I CAN’T FACE THE PAST?!” She yells into my chest and starts crying.

“Eunji-ah~ he was hurting too. He had nowhere to go and seeing you hurt him so much he had to leave. He jumped in front of you for a reason. He stopped the abuse for a reason. & he’s hurting because he wasn’t there for you okay?” I her hair.

“Hey~ Please hear me out.. I know I wasn’t a brother and that I left you there. Alone. Broken. But listen, I was selfish. I know. I know that I broke you. I know that I killed you emotionally. I know.. I broke too though. I broke everyday seeing you hurt because of them. I broke seeing you depressed. I broke seeing you cry. Piece by piece. I broke not seeing you everyday after I left..” He softly says.

“Whatever.” She coldly tosses into the open and she walks off.

“Maknae.. I-”

“Go after her. Just.. protect her, keep her happy.” He cries and hangs up.