Chapter 2

Her Choice

"W-what is this?" Seohyun asked, stuttering, as she hid behind Taemin’s back. They were both shocked, with widened yet frightened eyes, as they found a person on the ground, lying motionless. 

"You two wait here. Maybe it's only a drunk person," Taemin said as he let go of Eunji's hand. He then went closer to the person lying on the ground and bent down, looking closer. He noticed that it was a woman – maybe in her forties – unconscious. "Excuse me?" Taemin asked as he shook the woman, but there was no response whatsoever. "Can you hear me?" He continued to ask, shaking the woman harder in the process, but it was useless. He called the two girls and told them to call the ambulance immediately, clearly panicking because the woman wasn’t responding. After a few minutes, the ambulance had finally arrived and took the woman with them, making sure that they move in haste yet gently as they lay the woman on the stretched and settled her inside the vehicle. Taemin, together with Seohyun and Eunji, had also rode the vehicle. Thankfully, the emergency crew from the vehicle that had rescued the woman had allowed them to ride in even though only one was allowed – with a tint of persuasion, of course. The nurse that was a part of the emergency crew had almost immediately checked the woman inside, when suddenly, the woman opened her eyes slowly, adjusting her eyesight, and looked at Eunji. She tried to say something.

"M-my son... Where is-"

"Please don't speak," the nurse said while she still checked the old woman. Powerless, she looked at Eunji. She grabbed Eunji's hand and a tear fell from her eye. Eunji had a cold expression like always, but deep inside, she felt sorry for the woman. Eunji knew how it felt like to lose a mother, and if the woman died, she couldn’t picture how her son would be like.

"Will she be alright?" Eunji asked the nurse, still holding the woman’s hand.

"We can't say anything right now," the nurse spoke as she put the oxygen mask on the woman. After they arrived on the hospital, the woman was wheeled immediately to the emergency room.

"What should we do?" Seohyun asked the two as they were waiting. Taemin looked fine while Eunji looked a little bit worried.

"You can go if you want. I will stay and wait for the results," Eunji said as she looked first at Taemin and then to Seohyun.

"Why are you so worried about someone you don't even know?" Taemin questioned her and tried to calm her down.

"She can't die! She has a son! She has to be with him when he grows up," Eunji replied. Now, Taemin understood why she was so worried. She lost both of her parents and didn’t want someone to experience what she has gone through. He hugged Eunji and patted her back.

"Its ok,” he mumbled and felt Eunji's fast heartbeat. Seohyun also tried to calm her down as she changed the topic, but after a few minutes, the doctor went outside, making the three of them anxious. Everyone was curious about the results.

"How is she?" Seohyun shouted, waiting for an answer. Taemin and Eunji, on the other hand, had long gone shot up from their seats as soon as they spotted the doctor coming out of the emergency room.

"She’s alright. She only forgot to take her medicine and collapsed because of that," the doctor said while he smiled. Everyone were relieved and took a deep breath. The doctor continued, "but no one from her family is here, right?" He asked, waiting for a confirmation. He didn’t have any clear expression on his face though, as if he have asked that question multiple times. If anything, he looked bored. Everyone shook their heads in response.

"According to her, she has a son, but we don't know who and how old he is," Eunji said, "Is she going to stay at the hospital?" She continued asking. 

"Yes, but for two days only," the doctor replied.

"Can I stay with her until someone from her family comes?" Eunji asked. Taemin and Seohyun were surprised. She didn't know the person, yet she still wanted to stay with her?

"Hm... That’s fine, but only until any of her family relative comes," the doctor told them and went back inside the emergency room.

"Yah. Are you crazy?" Taemin asked and grabbed her hand, "Let's go!" He exclaimed, struggling to drag the resisting Eunji out of the hospital.

"Let go!" Eunji shouted and pulled her arm out. She looked angrily at him. Why should this be crazy? She only wanted to stay with the woman until one person from her family would come.

"Why are you doing this?! You don't know that-"

"It doesn't matter. I felt how helpless she was while holding my hand. I will stay." Eunji didn’t let Seohyun finish what she was saying. Taemin and Seohyun looked at each other and sighed. They knew that once Eunji has decided to do something, no one can stop her.

"Ok, I will tell my mom about that." Taemin spoke as he Eunji's head.

"We will come tomorrow so don't worry~" Seohyun screamed as they went further, waving at her. Eunji went in and asked the nurse in-charge regarding the patient’s room number. She found the room and entered. There, she saw the woman lying on the bed. Eunji sat down and looked at her. She was sleeping peacefully.

"Your son will be angry if he finds out that you forgot to take your medicine," she smiled and held her hand. Hours passed by, but no one from her family came. "What is this? Don't they know that she has been admitted in the hospital?" Eunji asked herself. It was already 11 p.m. She went to the reception and asked if someone from her family went there but the nurse said that no one came here today. Eunji went back to the room. Her eyes widened, when she saw that the woman open her eyes. She immediately ran to her, "Are you ok?" Eunji asked and held her hand. She was a different person in front of the woman, she was not the cold Eunji everyone knew. The woman looked at Eunji and smiled. "Y-yes.” For some reason, Eunji noticed that the woman was sad – her true emotions was masked with a fake smile. Probably because no one from her family visited her, Eunji thought. "Can you speak? If yes, can you tell me if you have a husband or a son who’s old enough to come here alone?" Eunji questioned the woman. She only smiled and nodded at first, but then spoke up.

"Yes... But the two a-are really busy," she said as she breathed hard. Eunji told her not to speak that much since she was still unwell. Hours passed by and Eunji fell asleep next to the woman. The woman only smiled and put a pillow under Eunji's head, and then she also fell asleep, but the two didn't notice that someone went inside, breathing hard.

 

The next day~

The sun was rising and the light disturbed Eunji from her slumber. She woke up and scratched her head. She looked at the woman who was still asleep. Eunji went to the toilet and then outside to breathe in the fresh air. "My back hurts," she mumbled and went inside again. As she opened the door, she saw someone sitting there next to the woman. She looked closer and noticed that it was a boy.

"Are you her son?" Eunji asked as she scratched her head and yawned. The boy flinched at the sudden voice and turned around.

"Y-yes. Are you the girl who brought my mom here?" The boy asked as he bowed slightly.

"That's right," Eunji said as she nodded, "Tch, You are late. Are you sure that you are her son?" Eunji smirked and shook her head.

"What? Don't you know who I am?" the boy shouted and went closer to her.

"Who cares?" Eunji mumbled and stepped slowly due to the closeness with him.

"I'm EXO's leader Suho!" He shouted, his voice sounding proud and a bit cocky in Eunji’s opinion. He then grabbed Eunji's arm, waiting for her reaction. As Eunji looked closer, she finally recognized him.

"L-Let go," Eunji stuttered as she tried to pull her arm out, but Suho was apparently and obviously stronger. He stared at her with his deep brown eyes and suddenly smiled.

He laughed, “I think you recognized me now. You’re blushing," Suho smiled as he let go of her arm. He went to her mom and her head. "Thank you for saving my mum," he said while he smiled and bowed, but Eunji didn't really care about him that much.

"No need to thank me," she said and went outside, closing the door. She heard how Suho followed her and kept on calling her as he wanted to know her name; heck, he even followed Eunji as she went. She started to walk faster – like she was running away from something – and noticed that Suho also fastened his pace to catch up with her. As the two were outside, Eunji saw Taemin and Seohyun. She was about to go to her two friends when Suho caught up with her and grabbed her hand.

"At least tell me your name, so that I can give you an autograph!" Suho told her as he grabbed her arm tightly. 

"Let go!" Eunji shouted and felt that someone was pulling her arm out. It was Taemin, who looked angrily at Suho.

"What are you?" Taemin said as he grabbed Suho's collar.

"Don't. He don't des-"

"Go to Seohyun, Eunji!" Taemin screamed and looked at Eunji. She hesitated at first but got dragged by Seohyun.

"Don't you know that I'm an idol? If you punch me, I can easily put you to the jail," Suho sarcastically smiled.

"I don’t give a ," Taemin said as he still looked at Suho with fire in his eyes. He had felt really angry as soon as he saw how the boy standing in front of him had gripped Eunji’s wrist. In his eyes, it was as if he was violating Eunji, which he clearly loathed.

"Is she your girlfriend or what?" Suho said while pulled himself out.

"That's none of your business," Taemin growled and went to Seohyun and Eunji, "Let's go," he continued and they went on.

"Eunji, huh. Maybe she isn't an EXO fan. Ugh. Whatever," Suho mumbled and went inside the hospital with a smile surprisingly creeping on his face.